• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

Saw this on twitter:

CusmjEKVMAA2XX3.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I just want to say while I know Hillary is going to win and I feel strongly we will get the Senate with the margins she is likely to see, I do think the worst thing about this election is how damning an indictment it is of America that the polling can still be this close in Senate Races when the Republicans have embarrassed themselves so thoroughly this election season.

Gonna be hard to look to my left anywhere in the near future.

Slizeezyc

I still think Democrats will win the Senate with seats to spare. I doubt that most people are actually going to be ticket-splitting, except maybe in Ohio.

Yeah I mean I'm just going off gut here, but I can't see most people being that involved to ticket split in large degrees.

He was suppose to have the Clinton accusers on. It was reported yesterday that the Trump campaign was going to start their media blitz today.

He did, the media got annoyed because the Clinton accusers kept saying that no one in the "mainstream media" would cover their stories when the accusers have been dodging phone calls from a ton of journalists.

Syncytia

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

The GOP this election has truly been a sight to behold.

The mental gymnastics is certainly something. They've dug their own grave on so many levels and it's all coming to head at the same time. They've spent decades making Hillary the ultimate boogeymadam. So much so that it's turned into what we're seeing now with the conspiratorial stuff about "suspicious timings" of women accusing Trump of sexual assault. Not even to mention the obvious things like Benghazi and emails. They've made her into the most corrupt person in the eyes of their supporters and maybe they even believe it themselves.

Then with Obamas election in 2008 they were confronted with the Tea Party which they think isn't really part of their core base. Racism was allowed to come out more in the open since 2008. I guess a black man in the White House was just too much. They think police violence is some new thing caused by Obama. They, along with the Tea Party, decided their best course of action against Obama was obstruction, which is now backfiring on them. A huge portion of their base (Donald supporters) wanted an outsider that would go in and "do something." Their core base almost couldn't have asked for someone better - the only box Donald doesn't check is zealously Christian, but at least he now claims to hold their same views.

They've spent years making Hillary into a demon they can never support (at least publicly), and their core base came out to show their true colors by nominating Donald. They can't run from Donald and even if they do, they can't go to Hillary.

Edit: No, actually it's not mental gymnastics. It's just fumbling with excuses to tip toe that line of condemning but quietly supporting Trump and announcing Hillary is the worst, ever, any chance they have. Prime example: McCain. Then his excuse for unendorsing is "I have family. Friends. 'Pussy' is offensive."

“I’m of that mindset — and I’ll get into trouble, I’m sure I’ll get myself in trouble one of these days,” Trump began, “if you can’t handle some of the basic stuff that’s become a problem in the workforce today, then you don’t belong in the workforce. Like, you should go maybe teach kindergarten. I think it’s a respectable position.
Trump Jr. thinks women that can't handle sexual harassment don't belong in the workforce and should go teach Kindergarten.

Kaban

The Clinton accusers were on Hannity just now, just without Trump. I caught a bit of it, basically Hannity asking why New York Times didn't contact them (even though I recall the 2 women in that story contacted NYT first)

He did, the media got annoyed because the Clinton accusers kept saying that no one in the "mainstream media" would cover their stories when the accusers have been dodging phone calls from a ton of journalists.

And going with "the mainstream media doesn't want you to know this!" to throw red meat at the base is a bizarre decision on Bannon's part.

The entire play was to get millennials to hear about this stuff... Millennials will never hear about this stuff if no one other than Hannity covers it. And no one other than Hannity will cover it if the accusers and Hannity purposefully annoy and lie about mainstream journalists trying to cover this story.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I just want to say while I know Hillary is going to win and I feel strongly we will get the Senate with the margins she is likely to see, I do think the worst thing about this election is how damning an indictment it is of America that the polling can still be this close in Senate Races when the Republicans have embarrassed themselves so thoroughly this election season.

Gonna be hard to look to my left anywhere in the near future.

I know you've been around a while, but this moment for me was Bush v Kerry 2004. How could we let that happen? HOW? The 2008 economic collapse and Obama's tenure certainly change the texture of things, but I've always kept 2004 with me.

We are a right-tilting nation only being yanked forward by the arc of justice, before taking two steps back.

There's nothing on the left, save literally generational talents like Obama.

jtb

Banned
And going with "the mainstream media doesn't want you to know this!" to throw red meat at the base is a bizarre decision on Bannon's part.

The entire play was to get millennials to hear about this stuff... Millennials will never hear about this stuff if no one other than Hannity covers it. And no one other than Hannity will cover it if the accusers and Hannity purposefully annoy and lie about mainstream journalists trying to cover this story.

it's almost like this strategy is designed entirely to make money and launch a new TV network in a month

Bowdz

I was glad to hear Obama rip into Portman for his lack of spine. I still think Strickland's done for, but Obama is laying out the game plan to hit every single Republican on for the remainder of the election. Even if various Republican candidates win, they need to get called for being spineless cowards. If they thought it was fair game to drive Hillary's unfavorables up, it's fair game to do the same to them.

UraMallas

I still think Democrats will win the Senate with seats to spare. I doubt that most people are actually going to be ticket-splitting, except maybe in Ohio.

I see it being a straight split or worse. +1 is the absolute best week can hope for. I've just been looking at a bunch of polls, though, so what do I really know. The straight split still gives us the majority, though, so...

I'm pretty nervous that just one of these breaks the wrong way. Clinton is a sure bet but the Senate, to me, is very very dicey.

Yeah I mean I'm just going off gut here, but I can't see most people being that involved to ticket split in large degrees.

It's just that there has really never ever been someone so very toxic to their own party at the top of the ticket so it feels like a wild card. I hope it breaks close to the election like it traditionally does. We'll see.

Barzul

Are Obama/Hillary/michelle gonna be coming to south Florida anytime soon? I'd really like to go
I actually looked up upcoming events in FL because my girlfriend moved there and was annoyed she missed Hilary in Miami but I saw nothing. But that doesn't sound right at all. She had to be making a few stops there you'd think.

Amir0x

Banned
I know you've been around a while, but this moment for me was Bush v Kerry 2004. How could we let that happen? HOW? The 2008 economic collapse and Obama's tenure certainly change the texture of things, but I've always kept 2004 with me.

We are a right-tilting nation only being yanked forward by the arc of justice, before taking two steps back.

There's nothing on the left, save literally generational talents like Obama.

To me that said people are stupid and easily susceptible to fear. This time around, what Trump's rise has said about the Republican party and the American people - even without voting him in - is more damning imo.

But yeah I remember thinking "goddamn America is dumb" after Kerry and Bush. But I can sort of forgive dumb. The shit this election is about is just frightening and shameful.

Zackat

I actually looked up upcoming events in FL because my girlfriend moved there and was annoyed she missed Hilary in Miami but I saw nothing. But that doesn't sound right at all. She had to be making a few stops there you'd think.
She was in Ft. Pierce a few weeks ago and I am there almost daily. Felt bad man. Someone has to be coming to Florida. There is no way they are done with it.

rjinaz

To me that said people are stupid and easily susceptible to fear. This time around, what Trump's rise has said about the Republican party and the American people - even without voting him in - is more damning imo.

But yeah I remember thinking "goddamn America is dumb" after Kerry and Bush. But I can sort of forgive dumb. The shit this election is about is just frightening and shameful.

I was one of those dumb Americans that voted for Bush. The second time. You can think Fox News for that. I watched is daily especially with the war going on around that time.

But it goes to show there is hope I suppose.

I'm confident though that even my past self would not have voted for for the scum that is Donald Trump. So, yeah I agree. It is shameful how many will.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

(feel like this is two different ways of saying the same thing)

Barzul

She was in Ft. Pierce a few weeks ago and I am there almost daily. Felt bad man. Someone has to be coming to Florida. There is no way they are done with it.
Yeah I'm going to be there in the leadup to the election I definitely want to see Obama, Michelle or Hilary at the stump. I know there's no way they're done. Event calendar might just not be up to date yet.

UraMallas

I was one of those dumb Americans that voted for Bush. The second time. You can think Fox News for that. I watched is daily especially with the war going on around that time.

But it goes to show there is hope I suppose.

I'm confident though that even my past self would not have voted for for the scum that is Donald Trump. So, yeah I agree. It is shameful how many will.

I voted for Bush both times. The trigger for me was Palin as VP so I know I would never have voted for Trump. Elevating someone like Palin to VP kind of pulled back the curtain on the GOP for me. I was also watching Fox News, etc, at the time. I was so very shook I abstained completely because I was internally struggling with what I had always believed to be right and what was growing in my mind as being truly right.

I was 26 that Fall and I was woke.

rjinaz

I voted for Bush both times. The trigger for me was Palin as VP so I know I would never have voted for Trump. Elevating someone like Palin to VP kind of pulled back the curtain on the GOP for me. I was also watching Fox News, etc, at the time. I was so very shook I abstained completely because I was internally struggling with what I had always believed to be right and what was growing in my mind as being truly right.

I was 26 that Fall and I was woke.

I actually liked Palin and had no idea why people hated her so, sad to say. I actually thought they were sexist! I didn't really come around to the Left side of thing until after 2008, even though I voted for Obama. That's right around the time I stopped watching Fox News regularly and was more content with getting my news from the internet.

Also Obama was saying things I had a hard time disagreeing with during the debates so it really had me thinking maybe I didn't have all the information like I thought I did. I too was 26 strangely enough.

Toxi

Banned
My father wasn't a citizen until 2008, but he supported Bush in 2000, and then shifted to Kerry in 2004 because of the Iraq War. Iraq shattered any illusions he had about compassionate conservatism.

Syncytia

Scottie is now quoting rap artists on CNN to some how explain Trump's behavior.

I'm confused. I though rap was the reason for gangs and violence and drug use in inner cities.

Was it the best, most amazing orange tree and was too good for that forest?

It was the greatest orange tree. It was so bigly that not only forests, but the entire world itself, actually stands on its shoulders and accomplishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom