• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

“A lack of passion for Clinton” led to her defeat, said Larry Sabato, head of the University of Virginia’s Center for Politics. “While Clinton is going to be the nominee, barring an FBI intervention, Sanders has won the hearts of Democrats in a way Clinton never will. Even after 40 years of practice, her candidate skills are third-rate.”

Sabato suggested her best hope of winning the presidency is facing off against GOP frontrunner Donald Trump.

“She’d better hope the eventual Republican nominee generates deep fear and loathing among the electorate, because that’s her ticket to victory,” Sabato said. “It will never be her own ability to connect and excite.

“Luckily for her, that precise scenario is easy to imagine.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...3/09/sanders-upset-clinton-michigan/81526056/

CNN polls for Ohio and Florida:

Ohio:

Trump: 41
Kasich: 35
Cruz: 15
Rubio: 7

Florida:

Trump: 40
Rubio: 24
Cruz: 19
Kasich 5

This is going to be close but it could be over in six days...

He could have been first except Perry got indicted lol

He dumped out after watching Trump at that first debate and seeing everyones poll numbers vaporize as Trump shot up. Must have had visions of six more months of it.

True, he was out of money temporarily. But he was still top five in the polls, and had a bunch of PAC money. Yet he pulled the trigger, while Graham and Pataki almost hung in until Iowa, and Santorum almost hung in until NH. And those three guys were polling a combined 0% at one point.

Scott Walker hit 0% in the polls after the second debate.

http://www.wkow.com/story/30072499/2015/09/20/walker-at-0-in-new-national-poll

He could have been first except Perry got indicted lol

He dumped out after watching Trump at that first debate and seeing everyones poll numbers vaporize as Trump shot up. Must have had visions of six more months of it.

True, he was out of money temporarily. But he was still top five in the polls, and had a bunch of PAC money. Yet he pulled the trigger, while Graham and Pataki almost hung in until Iowa, and Santorum almost hung in until NH. And those three guys were polling a combined 0% at one point.

EDIT: lol on the day Walker dropped out the RCP average in Iowa was:
Trump 28 - Carson 23 - Cruz 8 - Rubio 5 - Bush 5 - Carly 5 - Walker 5 - Huckabee 4
He dropped out after getting 0.5% in a national poll after the second debate. That's brutal.

shem935

Banned
So let's assume Trump gets the delegate count he needs. Can the party still just completely overwrite the rules to block him?

Yeah. You are approaching death of the party status via internal civil war when a plurality if not majority of the base is disenfranchised by the "establishment" though.

benjipwns

Banned
So let's assume Trump gets the delegate count he needs. Can the party still just completely overwrite the rules to block him?
This would require delegates pledged to Trump to vote to change the rules to thwart Trump.

Scott Walker hit 0% in the polls after the second debate.
He dropped out after getting 0.5% in a national poll after the second debate. That's brutal.
One poll. And the only place to go was back up. Jim Gilmore proved that. I see Scott Walker as a Jim Gilmore type who is stronger the lower he gets. All the more power behind his burst upwards in the polls.

pigeon

Banned
If Bernie hadn't let Clinton run up delegates all across the South, risk-free, then he'd probably have a good chance at winning the nomination. Oh well.

Well, Bernie put a bunch of money and effort into South Carolina without moving the needle much, so he probably calculated that it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm not sure it really changes the math for Bernie if all the Southern states look like South Carolina. He gets like four more delegates total.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
"If your last name starts with Tru then you are not eligible to be the 2016 GOP nominee."
Maybe they can get one of his relatives at the convention.
spankie_no-homers_zps9495f015.jpg

dabig2

I don't want to be too much of a...lookist...but Walker is and forever will be too dopey looking to be a serious Presidential candidate. He lacks the charm needed to offset that.

KingK

I don't think it will. Police brutality and guns are a lot bigger here. Plus she's got the support of not only the mayor but the governor and those two can't agree on shit. deBlasio is basically everything Bernie supporters wish he was.

Lol, as a Bernie supporter that part is so true. I've wanted deblasio to eventually run for president since he first started gaining power in New York. Bernie has been one of my favorite senators since I discovered him in 2008, but he never struck me as a great presidential nominee (although contrary to popular opinion here, I don't think Hillary is either. Democrats really let their bench go to shit by ignoring state elections).

I never really expected him to win, let alone get this far, but my hope has always been that his campaign would pave the way for someone like DeBlasio to actually get the nomination in 8 years. I think he's been a success in that regard, especially considering his numbers with voters under 45.

You know what? A couple of hours ago, I had a revelation that if Bernie wins the nomination, I'm going to vote for Trump. I would rather throw the election to the republicans for four years and let them continue to destroy their own party and embitter Americans than let Bernie complete the polarization of the democratic party the same way the wingnut-right has completed theirs. Then we can let Clinton run again in 4 years and save the country, and Sanders will be dead by then. That's how I feel.

Bernie Sanders is a demagogue. He's wrong about everything, he's impervious to facts, he's excessively reductionist, he's unqualified, and the worst thing of all: he's not even a Democrat. If you want to run the progressive movement into the ground and see meaningful college reform, financial system reform, and healthcare reform all disappear in front of our very eyes, go ahead and vote Sanders. Me, the only president I would be happy with is currently the only Democrat running for office.

I genuinely couldn't tell if this was supposed to be a sarcastic Hillary version of a crazed Bernie supporter or if you're serious, but if it's the latter you need to sort your fucking priorities. Especially with that bolded part. That kind of blind loyalty and devotion to a party is pretty goddamn creepy.

I must say, Benji, that after years and years of JayDubya shitting in and derailing every single political thread with long-winded libertarian rants, it's refreshing to have a resident libertarian who basically "gets" that his philosophy doesn't have a lot of traction and just has fun with shitting on the hypocrisies of the mainstream, instead. It's entertaining, it's informative, and it's a unique niche. Kudos.
Lol, I forgot about JayDubya. Didn't he get banned in an abortion thread our something forever ago? I might have only been a lurker back then. Also yeah, Benji has definitely become one of my favorite posters in any political thread.

Plumbob

This would require delegates pledged to Trump to vote to change the rules to thwart Trump.

There's no reasonable rule set that would prevent a simple majority from winning the nomination.

At that point, the Republican party is toast. Trump runs third party and Hillary says the Republicans are corrupt and anti-democratic.

CNN polls for Ohio and Florida:

Ohio:

Trump: 41
Kasich: 35
Cruz: 15
Rubio: 7

Florida:

Trump: 40
Rubio: 24
Cruz: 19
Kasich 5

This is going to be close but it could be over in six days...
Here's CNN polls for the Dem side. Looks good for Clinton but after last night...

OH:
63% Clinton
33% Sanders

FL:
61% Clinton
34% Sanders

benjipwns

Banned
There's no reasonable rule set that would prevent a simple majority from winning the nomination.
Just because delegates are pledged to Trump doesn't necessarily mean they support Trump. If they were to become unbound...

They could also copy the Democrats of 1832-1932 and require a 2/3rds majority.

Holmes

CNN polls have always been bad for Clinton... I dunno. I believe those Florida numbers but I'll be sceptical of Ohio until it votes. She needs to pump more money in the Rust Belt now. And work to get out the vote in Cleveland and Columbus, because she needs to run up the margins there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here's CNN polls for the Dem side. Looks good for Clinton but after last night...

OH:
63% Clinton
33% Sanders

FL:
61% Clinton
34% Sanders

Given how the 21 point advantage in Michigan for Hillary turned into a 3 point lead for Bernie, it's safe to say the polls actually look like this:

OH:
57% Sanders
43% Clinton

FL:
58% Sanders
42% Clinton

Idontknowwhattobelieveanymore

Holmes

"x wins y state shows their general election appeal" is kind of a bad argument. I mean, Trump dominated in Massachusetts and Clinton in South Carolina, but those states aren't voting for the Republican or Democrat, respectively.

Kusagari

Rubio basically did exactly what Jeb did, but on an even more extreme scale. You have nothing to gain from engaging Trump like that and he looks even dumber for it.

I can't believe Trump won a super racist state full of ex-union dudes. Really shows his general election appeal.

WSJ general election poll today:

Hillary: 51
Trump: 38

"x wins y state shows their general election appeal" is kind of a bad argument. I mean, Trump dominated in Massachusetts and Clinton in South Carolina, but those states aren't voting for the Republican or Democrat, respectively.
It is a super weak argument. Trump did well in Michigan, they'll say! That means he'll be competitive in the general election!

Both Sanders and Hillary each got more votes than Trump.

benjipwns

Banned
Given how the 21 point advantage in Michigan for Hillary turned into a 3 point lead for Bernie, it's safe to say the polls actually look like this:

OH:
57% Sanders
43% Clinton

FL:
58% Sanders
42% Clinton

Idontknowwhattobelieveanymore
I already did this!

You can invest in my explanatory polling firm, and I'll let you have the unskewed polling firm.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
What do people here say is the most probable way for the Republican establishment to stop Trump? Have Rubio and/or Kasich drop out after they lose their home states to coalesce around Cruz? Tell Rubio and/or Kasich stay in after losing their home states to siphon off enough delegates to prevent Trump from getting enough to set up a contested convention? Is it already too late and they would have to change convention rules?

Is there a link to this WSJ poll?

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pre...z-would-fare-against-clinton-november-n534191

What do people here say is the most probable way fore the Republican establishment to stop Trump? Have Rubio and/or Kasich drop out after they lose their home states to coalesce around Cruz? Tell Rubio and/or Kasich stay in after losing their home states to siphon off enough delegates to prevent Trump from getting enough to set up a contested convention?

Kasich and Rubio still wouldn't get that many delegates if they stayed in and open up the possibilities of Trump winning WTA states like Arizona and Wisconsin.

Getting 100% behind Cruz and hoping that Cruz can make up for the historic beatdowns Trump will give him in Pennsylvania and New York by winning the West might be the best bet to stop Trump, but that involves Cruz winning the nomination.

What do people here say is the most probable way fore the Republican establishment to stop Trump? Have Rubio and/or Kasich drop out after they lose their home states to coalesce around Cruz? Tell Rubio and/or Kasich stay in after losing their home states to siphon off enough delegates to prevent Trump from getting enough to set up a contested convention?

Rubio drops out and Cruz/Kasich attack Trump from both sides, with each taking enough WTA states to prevent Trump from getting a majority. They'd probably have to start with Cruz winning Missouri and Kasich winning Ohio.

Grief.exe

GOP turning to Ted Cruz is like that scene in The Dark Knight with Alfred and Bruce discussing the Joker.

Bruce Wayne: Targeting me won't get their money back. I knew the mob wouldn't go down without a fight, but this is different. They crossed the line.

Alfred Pennyworth: You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.

Bruce Wayne: Criminals aren't complicated, Alfred. Just have to figure out what he's after.

Alfred Pennyworth: With respect Master Wayne, perhaps this is a man that *you* don't fully understand, either. A long time ago, I was in Burma. My friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So, we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never met anybody who traded with him. One day, I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Bruce Wayne: So why steal them?

Alfred Pennyworth: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

benjipwns

Banned
What do people here say is the most probable way for the Republican establishment to stop Trump? Have Rubio and/or Kasich drop out after they lose their home states to coalesce around Cruz? Tell Rubio and/or Kasich stay in after losing their home states to siphon off enough delegates to prevent Trump from getting enough to set up a contested convention? Is it already too late and they would have to change convention rules?
I wouldn't assume they don't prefer Trump to Cruz.

Trump is a well-known quantity. He's run in these faux-elite circles for decades. He's the muscle.

Rubio is the looks.

Kasich is the brains.

Cruz is the wild card.

Jeb! was the useless chick.

pigeon

Banned

Hired killer?

I think that Rubio and Kasich should drop out BEFORE their states vote and endorse Cruz. That's the best odds of success.

But it has been the best odds of success for the last like three months and it hasn't mattered.

One of the important ongoing narratives here is the collapse of GOP establishment power. If the Republicans had managed to push out most of the establishment candidates earlier, choose one candidate, and focus all the attention and support on them, they probably could've beaten Trump by now.

But they've proven unable to choose one candidate -- hence why there were five, then four. There's no agreement on which guy offers an actual chance to win the general and keep the GOP together. Which itself is evidence that no guy is the right guy to keep the GOP together. Kasich, Rubio, and Cruz are all basically factional candidates just like Trump is. Trump just has, you know, a really big faction.

Ophelion

Yeah. You are approaching death of the party status via internal civil war when a plurality if not majority of the base is disenfranchised by the "establishment" though.

I think a lot of the establishment sees Trump becoming the face of the party as also being a death of the party style event though. People routinely compare that guy to Hitler. I don't think there's any way they could scrub that back out of their party. Can't put the genie back in the bottle, other metaphors. This is true whether he wins or loses in the General, imo. The damage is going to be lasting no matter what. Insane as it sounds, it might be in the establishment's best interest to sabotage themselves this General just to cut the rot out of their party while they still have some slim chance of salvaging themselves.

Basically, my diagnosis of the Republican party is

youre-fucked-lol-tilda-constantine-gabriel.gif

At least at the national level and I have no idea what happens downticket if things fall apart at higher levels. Does it just chain-reaction all the way down or do local people just really quickly whip the (R) off the end of their name and everything continues as before? I don't really know...interesting times we live in.

Holmes

Dan Merica on Twitter says Clinton spent 5 days in Michigan and only left the city twice. She pulled off Sanders' Southern strategy but in Michigan. She needs to be all over the place in Ohio.

HylianTom

Banned
It's soooo damn weird seeing FreeRepublic treating Ted %?#~! Cruz as an "Establishment" candidate now. Never would I have ever guess this; six months ago, he was treated as a living saint there.

Here's the thread that has inspired my post; it's about an article from TheHill.com where Cruz says he's fine with there being a contested convention:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3407082/posts

(LOL at suggestion of a Romney/Cruz ticket)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Kasich and Rubio still wouldn't get that many delegates if they stayed in and open up the possibilities of Drumpf winning WTA states like Arizona and Wisconsin.

Getting 100% behind Cruz and hoping that Cruz can make up for the historic beatdowns Drumpf will give him in Pennsylvania and New York by winning the West might be the best bet to stop Drumpf, but that involves Cruz winning the nomination.
I wouldn't assume they don't prefer Drumpf to Cruz.

Drumpf is a well-known quantity. He's run in these faux-elite circles for decades. He's the muscle.

Rubio is the looks.

Kasich is the brains.

Cruz is the wild card.

Jeb! was the useless chick.
I should have prefaced with assuming the GOP would prefer Cruz to Trump. I know there are mixed signals to that, but Lindsey Graham saying people should rally around Cruz is a sign to me who they prefer.

I used to wonder if Scott Walker got out too soon, but now I wonder if he dropped out just in time. Nobody is going to associate him with everything that happened post-Drumpf. He completely avoided all the Drumpf machine gun fire.

A whole bunch of his short-term rivals like Rubio, Jindal, Rand, Christie, etc. have basically taken themselves out. (Except Jim Gilmore obviously.) And unlike most of them Walker will just be coming out of office in 2019.

Assuming he turns down the compromise candidate offering at the convention of course.

It really is interesting. After this cycle wiped out their bench, I don't know who makes a run in the next 4 years.

Yep. It's really crazy to see it happening live. The post-mortem in 2 years (removed from a lot of bias) will be interesting to read.

What do people here say is the most probable way for the Republican establishment to stop Drumpf? Have Rubio and/or Kasich drop out after they lose their home states to coalesce around Cruz? Tell Rubio and/or Kasich stay in after losing their home states to siphon off enough delegates to prevent Drumpf from getting enough to set up a contested convention? Is it already too late and they would have to change convention rules?

I think they need as many people in as possible. Kasich steals northern votes, Rubio pulls a Christie and suicide bombs Florida for as many as he can get, and Cruz to try to grab rural states. Trump will still dominate the East Coast (which might give him enough votes outright), but it's the RNC's best hope.

No matter what, they're screwed. So what's the game theory for the best strategy long-term? I'd argue they should fully support Trump. Open financing, endorsements, the works. Make it completely clear that you backed him, and then watch him burn. Then in the post-election speeches (after he's blown out), you can stand up there and put the Tea Party on blast. Point out that McCain and Romney did better (because they will), and really hammer in that the fringe base is just really out of touch.

Why care about pissing them off? In a 2 party system, the fringe has to just suck it up and pick the closest ideological party anyway, so don't worry about courting them. You end the obstruction in Congress, roll up your sleeves, get a few things done, and point at the previous Congress as being a shitshow. Make it loud and clear that the Tea Party stuff failed. Who cares how they feel, they're voting R every time anyway.

wildfire

Banned
I think a lot of the establishment sees Trump becoming the face of the party as also being a death of the party style event though. People routinely compare that guy to Hitler. I don't think there's any way they could scrub that back out of their party. Can't put the genie back in the bottle, other metaphors. This is true whether he wins or loses in the General, imo. The damage is going to be lasting no matter what. Insane as it sounds, it might be in the establishment's best interest to sabotage themselves this General just to cut the rot out of their party while they still have some slim chance of salvaging themselves.

Basically, my diagnosis of the Republican party is

youre-fucked-lol-tilda-constantine-gabriel.gif

At least at the national level and I have no idea what happens downticket if things fall apart at higher levels. Does it just chain-reaction all the way down or do local people just really quickly whip the (R) off the end of their name and everything continues as before? I don't really know...interesting times we live in.

Well the Republican establishment could test the limits of the authoritarian angle of Trump supporters.

They kill Trump at the convention, declare anyone but Cruz the nominee and their new frontman is a hardass like Trump but believes in everything the establishment does.

It's their only play at hemorrhaging the the damage.

I'm really impressed with the results in MI for Sanders. Now I'm wondering if the funding problems Clinton has will bear some fruit in 2 months. Like Jeb Bush the majority of Clinton's money is held in Superpacs. Unlike Jeb Bush her burn rate is much slower so Sanders ability to keep on getting more and more money directly doesn't have an immediate detriment to Clinton's poor ability to get money directly.

benjipwns

Banned
Why care about pissing them off? In a 2 party system, the fringe has to just suck it up and pick the closest ideological party anyway, so don't worry about courting them. You end the obstruction in Congress, roll up your sleeves, get a few things done, and point at the previous Congress as being a shitshow. Make it loud and clear that the Tea Party stuff failed. Who cares how they feel, they're voting R every time anyway.
Republicans aren't like Democrats, they don't take top-down marching orders from the Party like all the Hillary supporters have.

They'll support a candidate for their principles and character no matter how much the Party demands otherwise.

Ophelion

Well the Republican establishment could test the limits of the authoritarian angle of Trump supporters.

They kill Trump at the convention, declare anyone but Cruz the nominee and their new frontman is a hardass like Trump but believes in everything the establishment does.

It's their only play at hemorrhaging the the damage.

That could work. I guess the only question is: do they have someone who could convincingly play that role?

benjipwns

Banned
The gender gap in a GE would be amazing. Women hate Trump.
Again, this has been proven to be factually untrue by explanatory polling:
Though Nunberg left Trump’s campaign in August, in a recent poll conducted for another client, Nunberg asked women in Connecticut who opposed marijuana legalization who they respected more: a politician who is also charitable and a world-renowned businessman, father and grandfather or an “Elderly woman who not only openly allows her husband to have affairs but tries to silence the women.” The figure with the favorable abstract framing of Trump beat the figure with the negative abstract framing of Clinton by more than 20 points, according to Nunberg.

“He’s a masculine figure and that will attract women to him,” said Nunberg. “It’s their dirty little secret. They like Donald Trump.”

Republicans aren't like Democrats, they don't take top-down marching orders from the Party like all the Hillary supporters have.

They'll support a candidate for their principles and character no matter how much the Party demands otherwise.

Right, and at the local level, that can cause hell. But nationally, I think those people will still vote R no matter what. They certainly won't vote for a Democrat, and their base is typically better educated on the process (read: they know 3rd party votes are pointless).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom