• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

Am I seeing correctly that Sanders is actually competitive in Illinois? I figured that was comfortably Clinton, but it seems he might be competitive in Illinois and Ohio while Hillary leads in NC and Florida.

The previous Illinois polls were scrutinized immediately following Michigan. Whether or not the new ones are screening too optimistically for Bernie remains to be seen... though it is odd that he seems to be faring better there than Ohio.

But yeah, NC and FL are safe Hillary states. The other three are tossups.

Am I seeing correctly that Sanders is actually competitive in Illinois? I figured that was comfortably Clinton, but it seems he might be competitive in Illinois and Ohio while Hillary leads in NC and Florida.

She's comfortably ahead in Ohio, and Illinois has been schizophrenic with the polls, some showing big Hillary leads, some a close race. Missouri is the only March 15th state consistently close in polling.

Waaa? Obama has certainly defended his Syria policy, even after its proven to be a failure. We can agree that torture is horrible, but I haven't seen anything in this thread that explains why its the one, uniquely bad thing that we have to look at.

The best distinction I can come up with was that Obama's Syrian policy was one of inaction, but then there is the example of Clinton bombing a pharmaceutical factory in Africa based on flawed intelligence. That had far greater humanitarian implications than the torture that happened under Bush and it was completely unnecessary. So why aren't you calling for every politician in the US to denounce Bill Clinton?

You are engaging in whataboutism.

Also here's obama admitting that shit they tried didn't work.
Steve Kroft: I want to talk about the-- this program, because it would seem to show, I mean, if you expect 5,000 and you get five, it shows that somebody someplace along the line did not-- made-- you know, some sort of a serious miscalculation.

President Barack Obama: You know, the-- the-- Steve, let me just say this.

Steve Kroft: It's an embarrassment.

President Barack Obama: Look, there's no doubt that it did not work. And, one of the challenges that I've had throughout this heartbreaking situation inside of Syria is, is that-- you'll have people insist that, you know, all you have to do is send in a few-- you know, truckloads full of arms and people are ready to fight. And then, when you start a train-and-equip program and it doesn't work, then people say, "Well, why didn't it work?" Or, "If it had just started three months earlier it would've worked."

It's weird because you'd think Ohio would be closer and more favorable to Sanders but the polling hasn't shown that. Maybe that's just the Michigan wariness talking though.

danm999

There was a YouGov poll that had him up by 2 and PPP said it had a poll where Ohio and Illinois were close coming out tomorrow. Ohio is a little all over the place since the YouGov had Clinton up 9.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ois_democratic_presidential_primary-5567.html

In don't trust that first one, but other than that we have a +2 Sanders and +6 Clinton, which implies Clinton with a slight edge or a statistical tie.

EDIT: While only a single poll, Clinton sitting on only +7 in Missouri (Single poll, small sample size, unknown pollster)? Actually the more I read this poll the more interesting it is. There was only ~150 Democrat respondents but the policy questions have interesting results. 53% favor a path to citizen ship for immigrants, 52% say increase taxes Large Corporations, and 53% say increase taxes on Top Earners. They oppose defunding Planned Parenthood 46/42 (rest remain neutral on the subject).

Aaron

Yes, George W Bush is not a monster. He was an inept politician who should not have been President and was overwhelmed by the role but he is still a human being. Politicians should be able to move beyond things that happened a decade ago and find each other's humanity. Turning politics into some kind of purity contest leads to the irrational extremism that is currently crippling the country.
He ruined Iraq because he just didn't give enough of a shit. He was given enormous power and responsiblity, and he treated it like a teenager borrowing his dad's car. If he was 'overwhelmed' he shouldn't have run for reelection. Instead, he went on vacation while the Middle East burned. So maybe he's not a monster, but his inability to any sort of role whatsoever in the rebuilding of Iraq was a major factor in the formation of ISIS, which isn't something that happened a decade ago. So he doesn't deserve a pass. It's his legacy. It's what his time as president has left the world, with consequences we'll be dealing with longer he's gone.

pigeon

Banned
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ois_democratic_presidential_primary-5567.html

In don't trust that first one, but other than that we have a +2 Sanders and +6 Clinton, which implies Clinton with a slight edge or a statistical tie.

EDIT: While only a single poll, Clinton sitting on only +7 in Missouri? (Single poll, small sample size, unknown pollster)

Well, I mean, yes, if you disregard the poll that shows Hillary way ahead, then the rest of the polls show the race being close. That's not too surprising!

danm999

It's hard to tell after Michigan since the polls were so off, and in a sort of infuriatingly obscure way. Many of the same pollsters got it pretty right on the GOP side in Michigan, and pollsters got the Mississippi Democratic side pretty right as well. But the Dem Michigan side...

Who saw this shit last night?

pl3IoXGK0Wvte.gif

Shit like this is why I want primary season to be over: https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/709212252717641728

I remember when Ted Cruz was having a discussion with another student in college and the student mentioned that his mom had an abortion once, and how Cruz reacted by declaring the mother a whore who should burn in hell and then how Cruz cut off communication with that person, I was thinking "Wow, this is the guy that all American politicians should emulate."

I mean, my dad is posting pro-fascism stuff on Facebook right now after being inspired by Trump and I criticize him strongly, but I still show human emotion to him.

Grief.exe

Waaa? Obama has certainly defended his Syria policy, even after its proven to be a failure. We can agree that torture is horrible, but I haven't seen anything in this thread that explains why its the one, uniquely bad thing that we have to look at.

The best distinction I can come up with was that Obama's Syrian policy was one of inaction, but then there is the example of Clinton bombing a pharmaceutical factory in Africa based on flawed intelligence. That had far greater humanitarian implications than the torture that happened under Bush and it was completely unnecessary. So why aren't you calling for every politician in the US to denounce Bill Clinton?

To my knowledge, we were supposed to provide the firepower and Europe was supposed to step in and clean up the mess. Apparently France, Germany, etc dropped the ball.

Each #DemTownHall is a reminder of the out-of-touch & extreme policies being proposed by the Democrat Party

https://twitter.com/Reince/status/709209001154707456

At first I was annoyed by the extreme absurdity of the tweet, but then started scrolling through the comments and he's getting eviscerated. Ironic coming from the party that has won only one popular vote in the last 25 years.

What's the full quote? If it's out of context bullshittery, then it's not going to fly.

It is.

CLINTON: So for example, I'm the only candidate which has a policy about how to bring economic opportunity using clean renewable energy as the key into coal country. Because we're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business, right, Tim (ph)?

And we're going to make it clear that we don't want to forget those people. Those people labored in those mines for generations, losing their health, often losing their lives to turn on our lights and power our factories.

Now we've got to move away from coal and all the other fossil fuels, but I don't want to move away from the people who did the best they could to produce the energy that we relied on.

Full transcript: http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2...cnn-tv-one-democratic-presidential-town-hall/

Holmes

I think what's happening with the polls right now is that pollsters are changing up their likely voter screens because Michigan spooked them, and some amateur pollsters are more interesting in releasing shock results to get attention (and a lot of amateur polls had Clinton up big in Michigan). It's funny how no one changed their likely voter screen after they were off of South Carolina by about 25% but whatever.

Who saw this shit last night?

pl3IoXGK0Wvte.gif
That looks terrifying.

I think what's happening with the polls right now is that pollsters are changing up their likely voter screens because Michigan spooked them, and some amateur pollsters are more interesting in releasing shock results to get attention (and a lot of amateur polls had Clinton up big in Michigan). It's funny how no one changed their likely voter screen after they were off of South Carolina by about 25% but whatever.

That looks terrifying.

Yeah, South Carolina actually was quite off. But it was the other way and it didn't change the outcome, so it was likely ignored.

Kangi

They didn't learn enough of a lesson there. I think a recent North Carolina poll had black voters under 20%. That's absurd.

Bowdz

Shit like this is why I want primary season to be over: https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/709212252717641728

Politics is the art of human interaction. People seems to lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day, we all live in the country together, and it behooves us all to still maintain close and cordial personal relationships with as many as possible regardless of differences we may have in terms of policy.

Politics is the art of human interaction. People seems to lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day, we all live in the country together, and it behooves us all to still maintain close and cordial personal relationships with as many as possible regardless of differences we may have in terms of policy.

No way, Ted Cruz may be struggling to get his party to support him over actual Hitler, but personal interactions don't matter in politics.

Yeah, South Carolina actually was quite off. But it was the other way and it didn't change the outcome, so it was likely ignored.

I think there's a difference between someone picking up undecideds to run up the score and results shifting 20 or so points and a completely different candidate winning than what everyone projected.

I think there's a difference between someone picking up undecideds to run up the score and results shifting 20 or so points and a completely different candidate winning than what everyone projected.

I know there's a difference but the polling still was a ways off. I'm not saying it's incredibly reflective going forward. We don't even know if Michigan is.

Holmes

I mean, even Marist and YouGov polls of Georgia, Tennessee and Texas seriously underestimated Clinton before Super Tuesday, and they had time to reweigh their samples to reflect what South Carolina showed before releasing their numbers.

Clinton didn't win because she picked up undecideds. Polls of South Carolina had Sanders in the mid to high 30's.

Cerium

I've been watching Colony and thinking about what life under Trump's fascist regime would look like.

The Hispanics would be the first to go, obviously. That's been his entire platform. Then the media, when they try to cover it; he's talked about using the Singapore model of suppressing the press by bankrupting them with lawsuits. The inevitable protests will lead to a crackdown that will probably disproportionately target blacks. The Muslim ban will go into effect quickly, and after the next terror attack Trump might stop flirting with internment camps and just embrace them.

Although I don't think Trump has any particular antipathy towards homosexuals, gay rights would probably be one of the first things he'd bargain away to his crazy base. When it comes to the Supreme Court, I think he'd pull an Andrew Jackson and just ignore them.

Then America will finally be Great Again.

Clinton didn't win because she picked up undecideds. Polls of South Carolina had Sanders in the mid to high 30's.

Sanders voters didn't show up unsurprisingly.

2 Cubans and 2 Old White guys? Shit, the Democrats at least have a Woman and a crazy old Jewish man.

I think Florida polls are fucking up in the exact same way Michigan polls did. Check out this one, predicts 26% of Democratic Voters to be Black, I find that really hard to believe that Hispanics\Asians will only account for 7% of the vote.

The entire country huh, that's why there were so many protests about going to war even before it started going to shit?

FWIW I don't think that picture should turn politicized but come on, what a stupid statement.

You seem to be confusing the Iraq War with the immediate aftermath of 9/11. Don't call me stupid. The polling shows only a small fringe minority was against everything Bush was doing at the time.

You seem to be confusing the Iraq War with the immediate aftermath of 9/11. Don't call me stupid.
You were directly quoting a post about torture, implying that I and everyone else living in America should be held accountable for the torture of human beings because the president of my country did it.

Maybe don't make stupid statements then.

You were directly quoting a post about torture, implying that I and everyone else living in America should be held accountable for the torture of human beings because the president of my country did it.

Maybe don't make stupid statements then.

Maybe you shouldn't take statements so god damn literally to the point that you think it encompasses every single human being that lived in the country at the time. Here's how we as a nation feel about it now after the fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ee1208-847c-11e4-9534-f79a23c40e6c_story.html

Now imagine what the numbers were back then. If you want to harp on your little semantics argument then go ahead but you know damn well what I meant.

Looking at the demographic make up of the YouGov and Marist polls for both Illinois and Ohio.

The main difference seems to be that for Illinois they seem to have upped the proportion of independents, but not for Ohio. This is assuming the earlier polling was using a similar demographic make-up for both states to 2008 exits.

Ohio
2008 Exit:
Male/Female: 41/59
Black: 18%
Independent: 22%
Under 30: 15%

Marist:
M/F: 43/57
Black: 19%
Independent: 23%
Under 30: 18%

Illinois
2008 Exit:
M/F: 41/59
Black: 24%
Latino: 17%
Independent: 16%
Under 30: 15%

Marist:
M/F: 40/60
Latino 14%
Independent: 25%
Under 30: 20%

Similar situation in YouGov. Also seems to be an underweighting of Latinos.

Yes, George W Bush is not a monster. He was an inept politician who should not have been President and was overwhelmed by the role but he is still a human being. Politicians should be able to move beyond things that happened a decade ago and find each other's humanity. Turning politics into some kind of purity contest leads to the irrational extremism that is currently crippling the country.

The people who are dead and had their lives ruined were human beings too. Pres. Bush can't wind the clock back on the fuck ups he made as a decision maker. There's nowhere to move but face the consequences front and center. Tough.

No one is defending GWB's actions, just the idea that one cannot be civil with him at a state funeral without it being a reason to condemn a candidate.

Maybe you shouldn't take statements so god damn literally to the point that you think it encompasses every single human being that lived in the country at the time. Here's how we as a nation feel about it now after the fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ee1208-847c-11e4-9534-f79a23c40e6c_story.html

Now imagine what the numbers were back then. If you want to harp on your little semantics argument then go ahead but you know damn well what I meant.
You shielded George Bush from criticism of torture because you said everyone supported it. So yes I think it's a bit silly to insinuate that I cannot call him a monster because other people agreed with him. I called him a monster then and a monster now. Sorry I took offense to being lumped in to the reason why people were tortured and that it was my fault. Maybe you should do a better job of explaining yourself next time instead of throwing the entire country under a blanket.
Basileus777 said:
No one is defending GWB, just the idea that one cannot be civil with him at a state funeral without it being a reason to condemn a candidate.
That's not true, I disclosed I had no problem with the funeral thing, I'm arguing with someone who thinks GWB is immune to criticism about torture because other people were bloodthirsty at the time.

Illinois
2008 Exit:
Latino: 17%

Marist:
Latino 14%

Similar situation in YouGov. Also seems to be an underweighting of Latinos.

I don't think we can count on 24% of the vote being Black this time around, Obama brought out that demographic for a multitude of reasons. Hillary just doesn't have that kind of draw like 2008 Obama, and I think they are overweighing blacks more than they are underweighing Latinos.

You shielded George Bush from criticism of torture because you said everyone supported it. So yes I think it's a bit silly to insinuate that I cannot call him a monster because other people agreed with him. I called him a monster then and a monster now.

And yet the public wanted what he was dishing out so what does that say about us?

I don't think we can count on 24% of the vote being Black this time around, Obama brought out that demographic for a multitude of reasons. Hillary just doesn't have that kind of draw like 2008 Obama, and I think they are overweighing blacks more than they are underweighing Latinos.

Yeah that's why the black share of the vote went down elsewhere-

oh wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom