• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
And yet the public wanted what he was dishing out so what does that say about us?
It says part of the public are bloodthirsty shitheads easily coerced by fear. Would you like to make an argument in favor of that, or let your ridiculous defense of torture for political reasons end while you're still standing.

And yet the public wanted what he was dishing out so what does that say about us?
Again with the "us" and the "we". That only works if I was part of that group. Yes, some of my fellow Americans let me down in the wake of 9/11, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to criticize both them and the acting President or that I should be lumped in there with them.

Am I going to be criticized for being racist and xenophobic if Trump wins the GE even when I vote for the Dems? Surely you can see the fallacy you're arguing by now.

pigeon

Banned
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Bi-iePG1O6bmx0c2hGNWFDRjQ/view

There's not a lot of information to inspire confidence in that poll.

What's your reason for doubting it?

I think what's happening with the polls right now is that pollsters are changing up their likely voter screens because Michigan spooked them, and some amateur pollsters are more interesting in releasing shock results to get attention (and a lot of amateur polls had Clinton up big in Michigan). It's funny how no one changed their likely voter screen after they were off of South Carolina by about 25% but whatever.

Yeah, this is kind of where I am. Obviously the race didn't actually move 20 points in a night. People's fear of being wrong moved pretty hard though.

Yeah that's why the black share of the vote went down elsewhere-

oh wait

You referring to SC where it went from 55->61% while simultaneously ignoring the fact that there were over 100k less votes this time around?

EDIT: Using exit poll data for both (since I was curious) that means about 292,000 (that's actually low balling it since I rounded up but ignored all candidates except the top 3) of the 2008 SC Democratic Primary versus about 224,000 of the 2016 SC Democratic Primary. 70k less but yea turnout was the same right?

danm999

Looking at the demographic make up of the YouGov and Marist polls for both Illinois and Ohio.

The main difference seems to be that for Illinois they seem to have upped the proportion of independents, but not for Ohio. This is assuming the earlier polling was using a similar demographic make-up for both states to 2008 exits.

Ah, so that's why Sanders is up in IL but not Ohio.

Ted Kennedy should have ran in 1976. He would have won and would have been significantly harder to unseat

Carter was an outsider so every little thing that went wrong under him, he got the blame for. Most of the nonsense that hurt him Ted would have brushed off like it was nothing

Holmes

I don't think we can count on 24% of the vote being Black this time around, Obama brought out that demographic for a multitude of reasons. Hillary just doesn't have that kind of draw like 2008 Obama, and I think they are overweighing blacks more than they are underweighing Latinos.
Maybe. But state primaries for Congress and the state legislature are on the same day, so it's not like the Presidential primary is the only thing on the ballot.

You referring to SC where it went from 55->61% while simultaneously ignoring the fact that there were over 100k less votes this time around?

turnout's down everywhere across the board, the fact that black turnout isn't dropping as much as other turnout is enough to increase its share, which is all that matters here

and South Carolina isn't the only state where that happened

Holmes

EDIT: Using exit poll data for both (since I was curious) that means about 292,000 (that's actually low balling it since I rounded up but ignored all candidates except the top 3) of the 2008 SC Democratic Primary versus about 224,000 of the 2016 SC Democratic Primary. 70k less but yea turnout was the same right?
The South Carolina primary is open. Many of the white Dixiecrats that voted in the 2008 primary against Obama for Clinton and Edwards very likely instead opted for the more competitive Republican primary that was a whole week before the Democratic primary.

Cipherr

Oh boy, attempting to explain to otherwise smart people how Hillary Clinton isn't the Worst Campaigner Ever or that no, Donald isn't going to win VA, PA, WI, or OH in the general is exhausting. It's like they don't understand that non-white people don't vote in Republican primaries - they do in general elections. And these people aren't even Sanders supporters.

The eternal cycle. After the election in November they will understand, for about 2 years until dems dont show up in 2018, then they will make the same bad predictions for 2020.

They aren't necessarily clueless, they just have the memory of a goldfish. They predict based on the previous voting session with no respect for the fact that the turnouts and numbers sway wildly between the two types.

Ted Kennedy should have ran in 1976. He would have won and would have been significantly harder to unseat

Carter was an outsider so every little thing that went wrong under him, he got the blame for. Most of the nonsense that hurt him Ted would have brushed off like it was nothing

Kennedy would have lost as he wouldn't have carried the South like Carter. And Chappaquiddick was still a thing. But a 2nd term for Ford would have given the Democrats a much better chance in 1980.

Holmes

The eternal cycle. After the election in November they will understand, for about 2 years until dems dont show up in 2018, then they will make the same bad predictions for 2020.

They aren't necessarily clueless, they just have the memory of a goldfish. They predict based on the previous voting session with no respect for the fact that the turnouts and numbers sway wildly between the two types.
They'll use the same reason for not turning out in 2018 for why they didn't turn out in 2010 or 2014. "Hillary wasn't progressive enough!"

pigeon

Banned

Carter presided over the end of the Democratic coalition. He never really had a chance.

The best way to understand Carter is to imagine him as the Democratic Marco Rubio, only I don't think the Democratic Donald Trump ever really showed up. That's a GOP special.

It says part of the public are bloodthirsty shitheads easily coerced by fear. Would you like to make an argument in favor of that, or let your ridiculous defense of torture for political reasons end while you're still standing.

That's the argument I was making the entire time. That Bush didn't just make it all appear out of thin air. He was appeasing an inherent desire that was already there in what is clearly a very large portion of the public. The two go hand in hand and it's critical to recognize both to keep it from happening again.

Again with the "us" and the "we". That only works if I was part of that group. Yes, some of my fellow Americans let me down in the wake of 9/11, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to criticize both them and the acting President or that I should be lumped in there with them.

That was my point the entire time, it a two-way street. That if we just ignore that entire aspect of criticism and focus solely on Bush, then we're doomed to repeat history.

Kennedy would have lost as he wouldn't have carried the South like Carter. And Chappaquiddick was still a thing. But a 2nd term for Ford would have given the Democrats a much better chance in 1980.
Possibly but I think the dynamic of the race would have been entirely different with Kennedy in. Carter likely wouldn't have gotten to become the focal point early on like he did. And he did still lose SC, Alabama and Mississippi. I think Ted would have completely shut down the north and been able to swing some of the states Carter won
Edit: nvm I thought you meant the primary and not the general election

Diablos

So I watched the TYT video where the guy says we deserve Trump for four years if he's the nominee so we can get an ultra progressive afterwards. Plus he's not voting for Hillary

What kind of logic is this? It's mind numbingly stupid.

So I watched the TYT video where the guy says we deserve Trump for four years if he's the nominee so we can get an ultra progressive afterwards. Plus he's not voting for Hillary

Sounds like people that don't understand the importance of the supreme Court.

People like to feel superior by putting themselves above the political system because they think it makes them cool. So they use whatever roundabout mental gymnastics nonsense they can to justify not voting

HylianTom

Banned
Hmm. Not sure if this is legit.. but it was retweeted by reporter Michelle Olsen (who usually is featured in the Washington Post).

Cde9cwkWAAADIbv.jpg:large

Twitter link:
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSPlaces/status/709243768520761344

If so, looks like Obama really is going with Sri.

Bowdz

Hmm. Not sure if this is legit.. but it was retweeted by reporter Michelle Olsen (who usually is featured in the Washington Post).

Cde9cwkWAAADIbv.jpg:large

Twitter link:
https://twitter.com/SCOTUSPlaces/status/709243768520761344

If so, looks like Obama really is going with Sri.

Good. Sri is an awesome pick and extremely well qualified. I wonder if the calculus is that the GOP is on a glide path to imploding in the fall and that they will eventually see the logic in going with Obama's ick rather than have Hillary toss a liberal judge their way.

Cerium

Good. Sri is an awesome pick and extremely well qualified. I wonder if the calculus is that the GOP is on a glide path to imploding in the fall and that they will eventually see the logic in going with Obama's ick rather than have Hillary toss a liberal judge their way.

I feel like they might bend when they don't have to worry about getting primaried anymore.

besada

Banned
That coal miners out of work quote is already up on gatewaypundit. Didn't take long. It's not Sanders who's going to make hay out of that one.

HylianTom

Banned
I was about to fall asleep and decided to check online one more time. Now I'm wide awake and excited.

Not very often we get a SCOTUS nomination battle. The last really contested one was Clarence Thomas, but there's no way in hell this one could give us the same level of comedy gold.

I was about to fall asleep and decided to check online one more time. Now I'm wide awake and excited.

Not very often we get a SCOTUS nomination battle. The last really contested one was Clarence Thomas, but there's no way in hell this one could give us the same level of comedy gold.

But it's fake and the original tweeter has said so.

Tamanon

Banned
That coal miners out of work quote is already up on gatewaypundit. Didn't take long. It's not Sanders who's going to make hay out of that one.

It's a fight we should have. The sooner we get past this the better. Not like West Virginia or Kentucky matter right now. It's for the best for their states.

Silly that this coal thing is an issue for Hillary when Bernie has literally gone scorched earth on every business like coal and oil and would put those entire industries out of business if he could

What exactly is the context of this coal thing? Is there a non-warped unedited version of it?
EDIT: Oh, I've found it. This is just dumb, her answer is fine.

I don't think we can count on 24% of the vote being Black this time around, Obama brought out that demographic for a multitude of reasons. Hillary just doesn't have that kind of draw like 2008 Obama, and I think they are overweighing blacks more than they are underweighing Latinos.
The proportion of the vote by race that seems high in the Marist poll is "Other" relative to 08. The lower Latino share isn't a result of the black share being identical to 08.
Ah, so that's why Sanders is up in IL but not Ohio.
There was already a sizeable bloc of independents in Ohio 08; so it will be interesting to see whether this re-weighting upwards will bear out in Illinois. In a similar vein, it could be that the independent share of Ohio in these polls isn't reflective of what will turnout on Tuesday.

danm999

Silly that this coal thing is an issue for Hillary when Bernie has literally gone scorched earth on every business like coal and oil and would put those entire industries out of business if he could

I doubt it's going to be Bernie who tries to make hay out of this one, it'll be the GOP in the general.

besada

Banned
It's a fight we should have. The sooner we get past this the better. Not like West Virginia or Kentucky matter right now. It's for the best for their states.
I agree totally. I probably just wouldn't have said it in Ohio, which has a decent coal industry.
Too busy going after him for saying he'd take all the trucks off the road. Also, they don't think he's going to win the primary, so they aren't spending a lot of time paying attention to him.

Carter presided over the end of the Democratic coalition. He never really had a chance.

The best way to understand Carter is to imagine him as the Democratic Marco Rubio, only I don't think the Democratic Donald Trump ever really showed up. That's a GOP special.

To illustrate this, Carter's winning map from 1976 is quite something to see. I'd say it largely resembles Kennedy's winning map from 1960 but certainly it resembles no realistic map for a Democratic candidate today. He was able to stitch together just enough of the old Democratic coalition to get himself into the White House. On the other hand, Bill Clinton's 1992 map broadly resembles Democratic targets today. Clinton was really the first to successfully put together a sustainable winning Democratic coalition in the wake of the realignment that saw the South go Republican.

johnsmith

remember me
Why is their symbol an elephant anyway?

"Nast invented another famous symbol—the Republican elephant. In a cartoon that appeared in Harper's Weekly in 1874, Nast drew a donkey clothed in lion's skin, scaring away all the animals at the zoo. One of those animals, the elephant, was labeled “The Republican Vote.” That's all it took for the elephant to become associated with the Republican Party."
46FE1647-0F72-448A-B354-414E4D554B80_cx0_cy7_cw0_mw1024_s_n_r1.jpg

It's tough to win by more with the stranglehold the Republicans had on the West. I mean look at this map.

And then imagine someone other than Carter who couldn't have carried the South like he did.

Still, you would expect there to be a bit more than like a 3 or 4 point penalty for the party basically being represented, in image, by a crook who was one of the most hated men in America.

I mean, 48% of Americans felt "yeah, the Republicans did Watergate and I'm fine with that."

I don't know.

Still, you would expect there to be a bit more than like a 3 or 4 point penalty for the party basically being represented, in image, by a crook who was one of the most hated men in America.

I mean, 48% of Americans felt "yeah, the Republicans did Watergate and I'm fine with that."

I don't know.
To be fair, I think Ford pardoning Nixon was the right thing to do. That is a bit of a crazy number though.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
To be fair, I think Ford pardoning Nixon was the right thing to do. That is a bit of a crazy number though.

I don't know... I kinda see the reasoning. Wanting to put it in the past and what not. But shouldn't actions such as those have real consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom