• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
Paul Ryan on NBC says he will not rule out accepting the Republican nomination in a contested convention.

Woo boy.

Paul Ryan is Straight White Republican Guy #24353. Seriously, he has to be the least distinctive human being ever.

Cheebo

Banned
Would be hilarious for Ryan who didn't want to be Spesker of the House because he wanted to run for President gets to run for President less than a year after becoming speaker of the house without having to spend a penny in a primary race

Darkangel

On the whole Bernie -> Trump flip flop thing...

If someone cared equally about money in politics, social programs, and illegal immigration/border security, then I could see a switch from Bernie to Trump making sense. That's two out of three right there, and I'd say there's a half-decent chance that Trump won't completely butcher the country's safety net. There are a lot of people out there with diverse political beliefs that don't fit nicely on the typical political spectrum.

On the whole Bernie -> Trump flip flop thing...

If someone cared equally about money in politics, social programs, and illegal immigration/border security, then I could see a switch from Bernie to Trump making sense. That's two out of three right there, and I'd say there's a half-decent chance that Trump won't completely butcher the country's safety net. There are a lot of people out there with diverse political beliefs that don't fit nicely on the typical political spectrum.

Actually, that's just one out of three; Trump isn't fighting against money in politics, he is money in politics. He's just cutting out the middleman.

And since when was Bernie banging the border security drum?

Diablos

Why am I the only one thinking Kasich could end up getting the nom. Am I just diablosing?

I hope Ryan jumps in. Hillary would eat him alive.

I'm wondering if the narrative of "voters will revolt if the RNC steals the nomination" are overblown. GOP voters are pretty well known for falling in line. Remind them of the existential threat of Scalia's empty seat, and I think they could still end up rallying around whatever suit the RNC gives the nom to.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's what everybody said about the one before Iowa, fwiw.
What's the evidence the debate hurt him and not his pathetic caucus organization?

I'm wondering if the narrative of "voters will revolt if the RNC steals the nomination" are overblown. GOP voters are pretty well known for falling in line. Remind them of the existential threat of Scalia's empty seat, and I think they could still end up rallying around whatever suit the RNC gives the nom to.

I think there's some truth to this. They always do fall in line...but if just a few stay home, Clinton walks away with it.

Kusagari

I think Trump is a vastly diferent story because he basically has a cult of personality right now with his 30-40% of the base. Some, maybe even a majority, of those voters might fall in line but even a significant minority of them staying home, voting third party or writing in Trump loses the GOP the election.

I think Trump is a vastly diferent story because he basically has a cult of personality right now with his 30-40% of the base. Some, maybe even a majority, of those voters might fall in line but even a significant minority of them staying home, voting third party or writing in Trump loses the GOP the election.

Possibly. But I'm always hesitant of "this time is different" arguments. Even if Trump is a different kind of candidate, I don't know if that means every trend should be ignored. The real question will be if his third party threat is sincere, or just bluster.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Paul Ryan on NBC says he will not rule out accepting the Republican nomination in a contested convention.

Woo boy.

Ah yes, this has complete disaster written all over it.

I can only imagine a Hillary vs. Paul Ryan debate. Biden absolutely mopped the floor with this guy. He'll be in tears by the end of the Hillary one.

I honestly think people are ignoring how damaging stealing this from Trump will be to the party establishment. Trump's fans are so, so dedicated--I have to believe violence will erupt if they try and steal it from him. There is absolutely no way many of these people "fall in line." Plus, it would be a guarantee Trump ran as third-party and basically handed the election to Hillary.

I can only imagine a Hillary vs. Paul Ryan debate. Biden absolutely mopped the floor with this guy. He'll be in tears by the end of the Hillary one.

I honestly think people are ignoring how damaging stealing this from Trump will be to the party establishment. Trump's fans are so, so dedicated--I have to believe violence will erupt if they try and steal it from him. There is absolutely no way many of these people "fall in line." Plus, it would be a guarantee Trump ran as third-party and basically handed the election to Hillary.

Violence will erupt anyway.

Darkangel

Actually, that's just one out of three; Trump isn't fighting against money in politics, he is money in politics. He's just cutting out the middleman.

And since when was Bernie banging the border security drum?

That's a fair point about Trump, but I think the situation is a little different than the backroom dealings you find with the SuperPACS. The main issue people have with money in politics is that it (essentially) gives certain people more voting power than others. They don't necessarily want to bar business people from holding power, they want an equal playing field for voting. Trump may be a billionaire, but he acknowledges the campaign financing problems, and the people themselves are openly boosting his popularity.

Bernie not caring about the border stuff was sort of my point. A voter sacrifices their positions on certain issues so long as their other preferences are met. With Bernie they're sacrificing illegal immigration control; with Trump they're sacrificing social welfare reform (in my example).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Perhaps Trump is taking a page out of the Onion playbook and skipping the debate because the more time Cruz is on the screen talking, the more voters he pushes away.

What's the evidence the debate hurt him and not his pathetic caucus organization?

I think there's some truth to this. They always do fall in line...but if just a few stay home, Clinton walks away with it.

I expect she still will, yes. I guess I'm most nervous about crossover voters who would either see RNC suit as a compromise between Clinton and Trump, or reward the RNC for stopping the crazy. But either way, Clinton would have an easy strategy against that: tie the nominee to Trump.

Diablos

Can't state GOPers change the rules to disqualify Trump from running as a third party candidate?

Plinko

I'm torn on Trump skipping the debate.

I think it definitely hurts because it gives Cruz a 2-hour window to just rip Trump with no rebuttals. He can lie, exaggerate, say whatever he wants, and nobody will be there to tell him differently. He can spend 2 hours connecting Trump to the KKK and nobody will say boo about it.

I think it could help Trump in this way: Kasich gets WAY more screen time. Cruz needs Rubio voters to topple Trump. In a debate like this, I think Kasich is going to get a lot of time to convince those voters to come to him, and I think he can.

OMG WHAT WILL MOOK DO NOW

https://www.reddit.com/r/SandersFor...us_bernout_plan_make_hillary_nonviable_in_45/

9rabiNa.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom