• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Obama knows what the fuck he's doing. Christ, this is all clearly a play on optics and to make the GOP look as unreasonable as possible.

And that's politics. He could have picked a super liberal, but that plays right into the GOP's hands! Now how do they look!?

CCS

Banned
Oh deary me Hatch:

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), the longest serving Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, offered his own thoughts on who President Obama should nominate to fill the seat left open by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia last week. “[Obama] could easily name Merrick Garland, who is a fine man,” Hatch told the conservative news site Newsmax, before adding that “he probably won’t do that because this appointment is about the election. So I’m pretty sure he’ll name someone the [liberal Democratic base] wants.”

That wasn't a very smart thing to say was it?

Bowdz

If the pick is Garland, then Obama really should have been primaried in 2012. I mean, how tone deaf, and stupid does he have to be to go this route?

Lol, da fuk?

I'm glad we actually won in 2012 (which wouldn't have happened if Bams was primaried), got to cement the ACA, give Obama credit for his recovery, got the Iran deal, got the Cuba opening, and now have a popular sitting President to help run against the GOP in the GE. That's pretty damn good in my books.

Cheebo

Banned
If the pick is Garland, then Obama really should have been primaried in 2012. I mean, how tone deaf, and stupid does he have to be to go this route?
Hell everyone, here is someone who has no idea how politics works.

Obama KNOWS Merrick won't be confirmed. That's the whole point. It's a chess move to hurt the GOP. Hillary then comes in and picks a more liberal candidate.

Cheebo

Banned
Who's dumber? Hatch or Obama for nominating someone that Hatch is fine with in the middle of a primary season full of "no real liberal" talking points?
Obamas move was brilliant. There is absolutely no way to say otherwise here. It is a chess move to backfire on the GOP. The Hatch comment is evidence of this. The GOP won't accost Merrick. They look bad. Hillary picks a more liberal pick.

All is going exactly as planned here.

Effect

Ah yes, this has complete disaster written all over it.

I can only imagine a Hillary vs. Paul Ryan debate. Biden absolutely mopped the floor with this guy. He'll be in tears by the end of the Hillary one.

I honestly think people are ignoring how damaging stealing this from Trump will be to the party establishment. Trump's fans are so, so dedicated--I have to believe violence will erupt if they try and steal it from him. There is absolutely no way many of these people "fall in line." Plus, it would be a guarantee Trump ran as third-party and basically handed the election to Hillary.

They're really screwed no matter what. It's a matter now of doing this on their own terms and protecting the rest of the ballot. Ryan might be the guy to do that with the expectation he's going to lose. If they can cull some of these Trump supporters from the party then that's likely a win for the GOP. They played with serious fire and are now in flames. Maybe we're at a point they have to let things burn down so they can rebuild. Putting out the flames likely isn't possible so why try.

CCS

Banned
Who's dumber? Hatch or Obama for nominating someone that Hatch is fine with in the middle of a primary season full of "no real liberal" talking points?

I don't know if you realise: Garland is heavily pro-gun control. With Trump/Cruz surging, there is no way the Republicans can afford to approve him. Their base would devour them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Garland is more center-left if we wanna go that route. He's not going to overturn Roe v Wade nor Obergefell. He will likely either gut or overturn Citizens United. Unsure on the rest but he's not a liberal nightmare.

He'd side with the liberals more often than not.

He'd be the deciding vote on reinstating DC gun ban type laws, so a city like NY or Chicago would be able to put a law like that in place knowing full well the court will uphold it when it gets there.

I don't know if you realise: Garland is heavily pro-gun control. With Trump/Cruz surging, there is no way the Republicans can afford to approve him. Their base would devour them.

Yup, this is specifically designed to make them look like utter morons.

CCS

Banned
Fun fact: Garland has more federal judicial experience than any SCOTUS nominee in history. Try selling blocking this Republicans. Just try it.

Rubenov

As opposed to sending Sri to be sacrificed? Republicans would not put Sri in, not under this environment.

No, the problem with the GOP is that a lot of them still think they have a good chance of winning in November and putting someone as conservative as Scalia on the court. Obviously that's highly unlikely.

They'd accuse Obama of playing politics no matter what he did. If he picks someone really liberal that it's obvious they won't confirm, they'd say that was playing politics and wasting everyone's time too.

They can claim what they want. This underlines who is playing politics. Obviously Obama thinks Garland would be an improvement, however small and he's comfortable with him getting confirmed. It's not really a 'bluff' in the truest sense, and it doesn't hurt his image at all if he succeeds in getting his nominee confirmed.

I just hope Garland has some thick skin.

yes I agree 100%

Why is everyone saying Garland is center-right? He seems center-left if anything. He clerked for Justice Brennan, was appointed by Slick Willy, and is pro-gun control. To the extent that he is pragmatic and not an ideologue or dogmatic regarding the Constitution . . . well, isn't that a trait of a liberal judge?

It's not like Obama nominated Posner.

My only concern with this dude is his age. He's only four years younger than Thomas, who has been on the court for 25 years!

Oh deary me Hatch:

Hahaha amazing. I really think they will call this bluff and approve Garland after Trump seals the nomination.

Oh deary me Hatch:

Amazing. I was gonna say the GOP's best angle would be to argue he's too liberal, because it's not like facts matter or their base is gonna argue otherwise.

But sitting GOP senator saying he's a fine pick, lol.

CCS

Banned
Amazing. I was gonna say the GOP's best angle would be to argue he's too liberal, because it's not like facts matter or their base is gonna argue otherwise.

But sitting GOP senator saying he's a fine pick, lol.

Not just sitting senator: longest serving Republican judiciary committee senator :p

And then this has just been tweeted:

05679532-65B6-4EB0-B840-FD97719FDCB9.png.jpeg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why is everyone saying Garland is center-right? He seems center-left if anything. He clerked for Justice Brennan, was appointed by Slick Willy, and is pro-gun control. To the extent that he is pragmatic and not an ideologue or dogmatic regarding the Constitution . . . well, isn't that a trait of a liberal judge?

It's not like Obama nominated Posner.

My only concern with this dude is his age. He's only four years younger than Thomas, who has been on the court for 25 years!

Hahaha amazing. I really think they will call this bluff and approve Garland after Trump seals the nomination.

I really think he's too good on guns for them to do it. He'd destroy all of their roadblocks on the issue.

I wonder if Srinavasan got cold feet. Srinavasan will at least one, maybe even three, opportunities to get on the court later and perhaps he doesn't want to become damaged just yet. This is the last possible chance for Garland so he's probably like YOLO

Are you serious? This is plain stupid stuff.

I don't like the pick. I understand the play. Trump as the nominee ensures big base turnout, there isn't really a need for a major fight over a female or minority judge to rally folks. But still going the conservative non combative route is not something I like. Sri and Kelly were the names I heard floated. Kelly seems to have fallen out the top two recently but I would have never guessed Garland.

I don't think his record is terrible, and frankly I don't care that he's pro-gun. But this guy isn't going to be put on the court, and even if he is...he's 63. Come on.

Bowdz

I wonder if Srinavasan got cold feet. Srinavasan will at least one, maybe even three, opportunities to get on the court later and perhaps he doesn't want to become damaged just yet. This is the last possible chance for Garland so he's probably like YOLO

I completely agree. Sri has widely been seen as being an inevitable pick for the court at some point. He'll get there eventually.

Also, the GOP's "it's not about the person but the process" is already being thrown around and it is such a political loser for them. Blue state senators up for reelection are about to get screwed.

Even if he is a centrist or moderate or swing vote, consider that this is a replacement for the conservative torch bearer on the Court for many years. This would be a significant shift in the make up of the Court.

If Garland is confirmed, you'd in theory have two in the middle (Garland and Kennedy), three leaning right (Roberts, Alito, Thomas) and four leaning left (RBG, Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer). It's easier to get a 5-4 decision favorable to you on the left if all you need is one of the two in the middle, but the trio on the right has to get both to go with their ruling.

That being said, Garland won't get through the Senate. You can't send someone like Sri or Liu who might have a shot later and watch them get eviscerated over the summer by a GOP willing to do anything to deny Obama a win.

CCS

Banned
News networks are picking up that Orrin Hatch quote and running with it.

What a catastrophically stupid thing for him to have said :D

Bowdz

News networks are picking up that Orrin Hatch quote and running with it.

What a catastrophically stupid thing for him to have said :D

Yeah, if I've learned anything this election cycle, it is that your time in the Senate will bite you in the ass at some point. For everyone.

Are you serious? This is plain stupid stuff.

I don't like the pick. I understand the play. Trump as the nominee ensures big base turnout, there isn't really a need for a major fight over a female or minority judge to rally folks. But still going the conservative non combative route is not something I like. Sri and Kelly were the names I heard floated. Kelly seems to have fallen out the top two recently but I would have never guessed Garland.

I don't think his record is terrible, and frankly I don't care that he's pro-gun. But this guy isn't going to be put on the court, and even if he is...he's 63. Come on.

He's pro- gun control.

Congratulations Mike Lee. I'm sure Republicans were rushing to see who could be first to run into Obama's man trap, and you beat all the others to the punch.

Great job! Remember, when something doesn't work, just double down on it. It's the Republican way!

Diablos

I agree with the Garland YOLO theory.

Honestly maybe this is a chess move or maybe it's a Hail Mary. Seems like this guy would be hard to pass up. I don't think Obama is doing this to troll.

Also wishing Obama got primaried in 2012 because of this? Come on. Seriously. In this environment he has to be pragmatic if he wants to make this work.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really cant wait to see the republican leaders spinning their current actions next year, once Hillary is president and democrats regain the senate. I know they won't actually admit they were wrong, because republicans (well, most politicians) are genetically incapable of that. I bet they just blame Trump entirely and remain utterly lacking any degree of self-awareness.

I agree with the Garland YOLO theory.

Honestly maybe this is a chess move or maybe it's a Hail Mary. Seems like this guy would be hard to pass up. I don't think Obama is doing this to troll.

Also wishing Obama gets primaried in 2012 because of this? Come on. Seriously. In this environment he has to be pragmatic if he wants to make this work.

Coming up with a realistic pick who would easily get confirmed by a *reasonable* senate is a fantastic way to either get a good Judge nominated even if he's not the dream pick, or to underline that the senate isn't reasonable.

And one reason the senators running for re-election are scared of that obstructionist label? American voters traditionally don't like obstructionists.

Yep,this is a good pick for playing politics, though I would be leery of Garland's record on law enforcement if the GOP caved.

I did the political calculus and figured that the GOP would reject even a hearing for whatever nominee Obama put forth short of Scalia Redux, so might as well make a pick that is clearly moderate to shame them.

(Really, when it comes to the GOP, it is less political calculus and more political basic arithmetic.)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not just sitting senator: longest serving Republican judiciary committee senator :p

And then this has just been tweeted:

05679532-65B6-4EB0-B840-FD97719FDCB9.png.jpeg

Cool story, bro. Make Americans hate you more and more. Well done.

I can see this. There's little chance even someone like garland gets nominated. This pick serves entirely to damage the GOP and make them look unreasonable.

It's especially brilliant because Grassley tried to obstruct his nomination back in the 90s and looks like an asshole doing it a second time.

The ACTUAL pick can wait until Hillary is president and the damage is done.

I think people are missing that in today's political climate, a centrist and a liberal are practically the same thing. No centrist would have selected Bush as president, gutted the Voting Rights Act, allowed voter ID laws, or decided Citizens United in favor of the plaintiffs.

A pragmatic centrist judge is basically a liberal in today's terms. Long gone are the days of the activist Warren Court. A centrist is all we need, especially when he is replacing one of the most activist conservative Justices of all time.

Diablos

I can see this. There's little chance even someone like garland gets nominated. This pick serves entirely to damage the GOP and make them look unreasonable.

It's especially brilliant because Grassley tried to obstruct his nomination back in the 90s and looks like an asshole doing it a second time.

The ACTUAL pick can wait until Hillary is president and the damage is done.
I disagree. Obama is doing this for real. If he never gets a hearing then yes, Garland being denied a chance makes the GOP look bad. But that isn't the primary reason for choosing him.

I really cant wait to see the republican leaders spinning their current actions next year, once Hillary is president and democrats regain the senate. I know they won't actually admit they were wrong, because republicans (well, most politicians) are genetically incapable of that. I bet they just blame Trump entirely and remain utterly lacking any degree of self-awareness.

Four years ago, it became apparent that to remain relevant they needed to move more towards the center, to ensure they started appealing to women and minorities. We saw very clearly four years ago, that you can no longer win the election with the white male vote. As recently as Bush's reelection, that used to be enough to take the election.

But no more.

Naturally they ignored this. Did everything they could to rig the mid terms to protect their seats, and then when they won, (despite GOP candidates gaining less total votes than DNC candidates did) forgot that they did everything they could to rig things and took it as a sign that everything was fine and that the voters still wanted them and their ideas.

This disaster, and it's already a disaster, is entirely on them. Designing a primary system that depends heavily on what bigoted voters think? How was that going to get them someone electable?

How is it going to get them someone electable come 2020? Honestly I expect them to burn the system to the ground and rebuild it. And they need to start alienating the bigots who support the party if they want to start winning over moderates and swing voters. They can't win both any more. Stop fighting gay marriage. That'd be a great start.

Effect

Said in the other thread this is a good win/win for Obama.

If the GOP stop this then they look even worse. Especially with what Hatch has said.

If the GOP do the right thing then Obama gets a good judge in that is very likely to lean left on a number of things.

Someone here also said there would then be two swing judges instead of one. The ones on the right would need to convinced both of them to vote with them. The left judges would need to just convince one of the two to have things fall in their favor which is easier to do.

Holmes

I believe he'll drop out of the nomination after the election in November and Hillary will appoint someone else. I just feel a bit bad. Hopefully she gives him a job in her administration or something.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Woah

America has lived with Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton, in a remarkably intimate fashion, for decades, processing their controversies, achievements and setbacks, from impeachment to marital breakdowns, Senate victories to flashy skyscraper openings. Voters’ impressions of them, with few exceptions, are largely formed and fixed. According to Gallup, 53 percent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of Mrs. Clinton and 63 percent have such a view of Mr. Trump.

Those dim assessments are not isolated, which is why the commanding tallies that Mr. Trump and Mrs. Clinton have collected are pushing both parties into uncharted waters. Should they clinch the nomination, it would represent the first time in at least a quarter-century that majorities of Americans held negative views of both the Democratic and Republican candidates at the same time.

This is a weeiiiird election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom