• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubenov

I know the Supreme Court pick is all the rage right now, but I'd like to take a moment to remember the 347 times Marco Rubio said during the debates "... And when I'm President of the United States..."

I cringed every single time. Glad you got wrecked, Rubio.

I know the Supreme Court pick is all the rage right now, but I'd like to take a moment to remember the 347 times Marco Rubio said during the debates "... And when I'm President of the United States..."

I cringed every single time. Glad you got wrecked, Rubio.
Every time he spouted the "New American Century" line I died a little inside.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, Kasich is only in for the spotlight. Nobody is tuning into a Kasich vs Cruz debate. The media will just ask how Trump skipping it will impact his numbers. I'd bet money that advertisers have pulled out as well. Kasich is going to chase attention so he start getting some more cash in his war chest.

I think Trump is running from the debate because the smaller the field, the more specific and in-depth the questions become. And that doesn't benefit him at all. But a debate without the front runner there, it's sorta pointless. I can't fault Kasich for not wasting time.

PBY

Banned
Why are we assuming Cruz will get over 50% in Utah? Caucus? Also Trump should fly out Benny and just have him go in Utah.

Garland sounds like a solid pick. Generally centrist, left enough to side consistently with the liberal wing on big-ticket stuff like Obergfell, Roe v. Wade, gun control, probably Citizens United. Certainly a massive leftward move relative to Scalia. Also puts the Judicial committee in a tough spot because members have been specifically quoted praising him, which makes it tough to quietly kill the vote there, which means that he's forcing a floor vote. Then, if he gets knocked down, Obama can just point at the GOP's prior promises of obstructionism and Garland's overall moderate status and say "look, it's not my fault, it's those assholes being assholes again" and that provides cover for him to tap someone further left in, who they look bad for rejecting now that they've already boohooed someone further right.

Or they do confirm, in which case the Court has still moved way to the left relative to Scalia.

Obama with that Xanatos Gambit juice.

pigeon

Banned
Garland sounds like a solid pick. Generally centrist, left enough to side consistently with the liberal wing on big-ticket stuff like Obergfell, Roe v. Wade, gun control, probably Citizens United. Certainly a massive leftward move relative to Scalia. Also puts the Judicial committee in a tough spot because members have been specifically quoted praising him, which makes it tough to quietly kill the vote there, which means that he's forcing a floor vote. Then, if he gets knocked down, Obama can just point at the GOP's prior promises of obstructionism and Garland's overall moderate status and say "look, it's not my fault, it's those assholes being assholes again" and that provides cover for him to tap someone further left in.

Or they do confirm, in which case the Court has still moved way to the left relative to Scalia.

Obama with that Xanatos Gambit juice.

Yeah, I agree mostly with this and posted similarly in the other thread. I would just add, as I noted there, that Garland is a very small-c conservative judge -- whenever possible he decides cases narrowly and writes as little law as possible. This is just a good trait for a Supreme Court Justice -- no matter who's up there, a SCOTUS that's more careful and less prone to big decisions is probably a good thing for the nation.

Trump said Wednesday that a contested GOP convention could be a disaster if he goes to Cleveland a few delegates shy of 1,237 — and doesn’t leave as the party’s nominee.

“I think you’d have riots,” Trump said on CNN.

Noting that he’s “representing many millions of people,” he told Chris Cuomo: “If you disenfranchise those people, and you say, ‘I’m sorry, you’re 100 votes short’…I think you’d have problems like you’ve never seen before. I think bad things would happen.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...lence-only-this-time-its-directed-at-the-gop/

People are going to die in Cleveland if the GOPe tries to deny Trump the nomination. They won't have the courage to go through with it.

pigeon

Banned
Something's weird here. Why would Orrin Hatch say he was a good pick?

He's just a really good judge. Garland is probably the most qualified judge not on SCOTUS right now. SCOTUSBlog noted that the Supremes have never granted cert on a case where he wrote the opinion -- which is related to his careful, non-activist tendencies.

Effect

CdrXCt7W0AAdjYH.jpg

Im sorry this is hilarious

Oh so he's going to be there. That's good. Would have been crazy for him not to be there.

pigeon

Banned
Another point from the SCOTUSBlog, which I hadn't considered at all, is that this is a box-in pick in more than one way. Merrick Garland was originally nominated to the D.C. Circuit Court by Bill Clinton! You could argue that Obama is pinning Hillary here as well by making it difficult for her not to continue the nomination when she gets in if he hasn't gotten seated yet.

GuyKazama

Ah, I think I misread your post. Capitulation by Obama or capitulation of Republicans to Obama?

Capituation to Obama. Not saying that is true, just the optics of it. A conservative leaning nominee would cause some of the Republican party to pressure their Senators to at least hold hearings. I doubt they will get much pressure from their voters to do anything now.

This guy is so boring, and already has a lifetime appointment to one of the highest courts -- I can't see even Democratic voters rallying behind him.

LOL, yo, even Fox News is saying that Obama's Garland is a trap for the GOP.

Goddamn.

The best part is that they totally set themselves up for this. All they had to do was hold hearings then vote against the nominee to avoid this PR mess. That was literally it! They really thought people would think badly of Obama for nominating a judge in an election year.

Why are we assuming Cruz will get over 50% in Utah? Caucus? Also Trump should fly out Benny and just have him go in Utah.

It's not a caucus, just a closed primary in Trump's weakest state and without Rubio Cruz is going to sweep the Mormon vote.

Drek

LOL, yo, even Fox News is saying that Obama's Garland is a trap for the GOP.

Goddamn.

That's the beauty of it. Everyone knows it's a trap, but it's a trap they're already caught in the middle of and any way out results in pain. You'll see more GOP senators like Kirk try to run away from the obstructionist policies, but even if it somehow saves them in November they'll have poisoned the well with extreme conservatives and likely get primaried out in six years by some extreme ideologue who will say some "the body shuts down in cases of rape" level shit.

Kork is a dipshit. He's running scaremongering, SCARY MOSLEMZ ads all month in IL against Duckworth. He's such a pos now angling for a "see? I dont like the gop!" play.

Bowdz

Rick Scott endorsed Trump.

What a complete coward. He sounded more robotic than Rubitron on CNN the other day. He literally repeated the exact same line for every single question posed:

"How are you doing today Gov. Scott?"

- During my election in Florida, we did things differently...

"What's your opinion of Trump?"

- During my election in Flordia, we did things differently...

"What is your name?"

- During my election in Florida, we did things differently...

Another point from the SCOTUSBlog, which I hadn't considered at all, is that this is a box-in pick in more than one way. Merrick Garland was originally nominated to the D.C. Circuit Court by Bill Clinton! You could argue that Obama is pinning Hillary here as well by making it difficult for her not to continue the nomination when she gets in if he hasn't gotten seated yet.
I wouldn't be shocked if she still goes through with Garland but it'd probably piss off a lot of people.

“Well first of all, I assume he’s speaking figuratively," Sean Spicer, the RNC's chief strategist and spokesman, told CNN. "I think if we go into a convention, whoever gets 1,237 delegates becomes the nominee. It’s plain and simple.”

CNN host Carol Costello pushed back, remarking that she did not think Trump was speaking figuratively when he told the network's morning show that in the event he comes up short of the nomination, "I think you'd have riots. I think you'd have riots.”

Spicer disputed the assessment, remarking, "It’s the left, and the people on the left that have disrupted events are trying to go in and undermine people’s First Amendment rights," a possible allusion to protesters supporting Bernie Sanders who forced the cancellation of Trump's rally in Chicago last Friday.

"I think Republicans will have a very orderly process. We’ll vote in the open. The delegates that are elected by the Republican voters will go to Cleveland," he continued. "If we get to a point where there needs to be more than one ballot, we’ll do it in a very orderly and transparent way. And we will pick a nominee and go on and win in November. But I feel very good about how we’re going to run our convention. I think it will be very open, I think it will be very transparent, and we will do it in a very democratic way. We won’t use a bunch of superdelegates to stack an elite front-runner as our nominee."

The Republican Party is dead, their history is dead, and they have no idea what the first amendment even means.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-.../03/rnc-spokesman-trump-riots-response-220858

kingkitty

I'm afraid Republicans might try to vote for Garland after Trump loses the election. Of course Obama could rescind the nomination that same month. I wonder how much of a gut punch that would be for Garland. I'd feel bad for him.

HUELEN10

A brilliant night for our queen and for America, time to make it whole again. The grieving stage has well and truly arrived for some, brainchild sleep tight you'll be back, and Huelen10 its ok you can come out as a republican here we won't judge

I'm not a republican, I'm a democrat, and will soon be NPA again.

Effect

I'm afraid Republicans might try to vote for Garland after Trump loses the election. Although of course Obama could rescind the nomination. I wonder how much of a gut punch that would be for Garland. I'd feel bad for him.

Nah Obama is okay with Garland. I don't think he would have picked him if he wasn't okay with him being put on the court. That's why people say it's a win/win for him.

Armaros

I'm afraid Republicans might try to vote for Garland after Trump loses the election. Of course Obama could rescind the nomination that same month. I wonder how much of a gut punch that would be for Garland. I'd feel bad for him.

Obama would not have chosen Garland if he wasn't fine with him on the bench.

He is easily a left leaning moderate of the truest sense. He has a record against judicial activism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom