• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
HUrQM8N.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Fanning

Vice President Eric Fanning.

Nice. That is Solid pick. He is from Michigan which can be a swing state. If he is not VP, I could definitely see him maybe as SecDef or Chairman of Joint chiefs of staff.

Republicans are being so weird about this. Their initial message was good. American people decide blah blah. Why are they misplaying their hand so badly?
The Sword of Trump hanging over their heads? They still believed they were going to turn it around in the polls for some reason. But the dream is dead and now they are trying to minimalize the damage that they have control of?

I'm hoping Obama turns it back on them and says do it sooner or I will withdraw it and Hillary will put forward someone worse. But I think he will take their terms and I wouldn't blame him. Hillary can fight to replace RBG's seat.

Gotchaye

Republicans are being so weird about this. Their initial message was good. American people decide blah blah. Why are they misplaying their hand so badly?

I think it's basically about what came up on irc last night (were you there?). They're pulled between wanting to appear to cooperate while actually obstructing in order to appeal to the center and wanting to be very very clear about how they're fighting Obama as hard as they can.

It's why we got "we will not even give a hearing to any Obama nominee" instead of "of course we'll give a fair hearing to any nominee Obama chooses (and then we won't confirm them)". They really don't want to confirm an Obama nominee now given the position they've staked out since it shows weakness (see Reid's twitter). But obviously if Clinton wins the election you don't just want to let her with a mandate and a maybe Democratic Senate choose an even worse justice. The base doesn't trust them to do this, though, so they've got to tell the base that that's the plan.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Democrats must be rubbing their hands with glee and trying to think of the most perfect way to frame this.
Spoiler: they will dick it up

Obama withdrawing garland looks a bit shit too IMO. At that point I guess he doesn't care though.

Spoiler: they will dick it up

Obama withdrawing garland looks a bit shit too IMO. At that point I guess he doesn't care though.

Obama can manage that, though. He waits until June and says 'its been 90 days, schedule some hearings or I'll withdraw Garland on August 1st.' That puts the GOP on the clock and takes post-election fuckery off the table.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Obama can manage that, though. He waits until June and says 'its been 90 days, schedule some hearings or I'll withdraw Garland on August 1st.' That puts the GOP on the clock and takes post-election fuckery off the table.

Especially since 90 days is on the high end of previous hearing timelines.

sangreal

I don't think Obama withdrawing during lame duck session looks bad. At that point it is actually legitimate to say it should be chosen by the president-elect. I think Garland sounds right up Hillary's alley though

They argue that Obama shouldn't get a nominee passed because he is a 'lame duck' then proceed to say they'll vote on him once Obama becomes an actual lame duck.

My head hurts. I hate these people.

Ecotic

Hillary has to calculate if she would want to crowd her first 100 days on a contentious very liberal court pick. There's only so much political capital to go around and it's unknown what Congress will look like. Under the right conditions I could see Hillary tacitly signaling to Obama to let Garland through in the lame duck session so she doesn't have to use her political capital making good on picking a far left candidate and seeing it through. Obama would oblige to extend his legacy.

Hillary may want to concentrate on something else like immigration reform.

Kusagari

Considering Hillary's entire thing is continuing Obama's legacy I'm sure she would politically be fine with Obama's last Supreme Court pick going through after she becomes president-elect.

Hillary has to calculate if she would want to crowd her first 100 days on a contentious very liberal court pick. There's only so much political capital to go around and it's unknown what Congress will look like. Under the right conditions I could see Hillary tacitly signaling to Obama to let Garland through in the lame duck session so she doesn't have to use her political capital making good on picking a far left candidate and seeing it through. Obama would oblige to extend his legacy.

Hillary may want to concentrate on something else like immigration reform.

Depends on what the senate looks like. I'm not sure "political capitol" exists with this strain of republican politics, specifically in the House. Just as a scenario let's say Trump is the nominee, democrats win the senate and win a couple House seats. Divided government ensures she won't be able to pass any liberal legislation; I'm assuming Hillary knows exactly what she's getting in to with respect to the extremism of the House. Getting a "liberal" SC judge could be the only noteworthy accomplishment of her first 100 days.

Let's be realistic: immigration reform will not pass next year, or at any point during Hillary's term. Nor will she get universal pre-K.

Republicans are already on record that the next president should pick the judge. Just as a hypothetical if Hillary were to pick Liu and face a filibuster, would it truly hurt her to break the filibuster given that she's going to face obstruction no matter what?

Diablos

How fucking desperate is that? They're already conceding the election over a SCOTUS pick??

GOPers are so dumb. If they win in November they will eventually solidify the court as right wing and Garland would end up being in the liberal minority wing of the court. Idiots.

Ecotic

Depends on what the senate looks like. I'm not sure "political capitol" exists with this strain of republican politics, specifically in the House. Just as a scenario let's say Trump is the nominee, democrats win the senate and win a couple House seats. Divided government ensures she won't be able to pass any liberal legislation; I'm assuming Hillary knows exactly what she's getting in to with respect to the extremism of the House. Getting a "liberal" SC judge could be the only noteworthy accomplishment of her first 100 days.

Let's be realistic: immigration reform will not pass next year, or at any point during Hillary's term. Nor will she get universal pre-K.

Republicans are already on record that the next president should pick the judge. Just as a hypothetical if Hillary were to pick Liu and face a filibuster, would it truly hurt her to break the filibuster given that she's going to face obstruction no matter what?
It's funny I didn't specify but I actually imagined she would want to get Garland through if Democrats got the Senate and perhaps the House, because I agree she would get nothing out of Republicans but might want to focus her efforts on one signature piece of legislation.

I asked this during the super tuesday results but how come Trump is falling short of delegate counts to clinch the nomination (as most analysts are saying)? Is this what GOP envisioned - that their chosen 2016 savior Jeb Bush going into the convention without a clean win?

sangreal

I asked this during the super tuesday results but how come Trump is falling short of delegate counts to clinch the nomination (as most analysts are saying)? Is this what GOP envisioned - that their chosen 2016 savior Jeb Bush going into the convention without a clean win?

He isn't behind his target. The answer though is that the GOP is propping up campaigns that would have run out of money and died off in a normal cycle. If Jeb were in trumps place there would be no backing for spoiler candidates trying to force a contested convention

pigeon

Banned

I still think they've decided to probably confirm this guy and they're trying to find a way back across the bridge while it's still burning.

Plumbob

I was playing Rocket League online earlier with my brother and I got a text from one of my previous coworkers that is deep in the Bernie hole. It's the "I love country music" shirt with Hillary's face in the middle. I groaned and he asked what was up. I explained to him how salty she was and how she was absolutely sure Bernie still had a path forward. My brother and sister-in-law are both crazyish Bernie supporters (Hillary should be in prison) and he started talking about how he couldn't understand how people would vote against their interests, etc. etc. and I called him out as a racist fuckwad. I proceeded to ream him because he would be a huge asshole if someone dared to presume to know what's best for him. I asked him how he thinks black people feel when someone tries to explain to them why they need to vote Bernie and that they're just trying to tell them what's in their best interests.

He posted the picture on Facebook an hour later. She sent it to him after me.

He knows he's a racist fuckwad tho.

I wouldn't say believing someone is voting against their best interests is inherently racist. Ignorant, maybe, but democrats definitely believe poor white republicans are voting against their interests too.

He isn't behind his target. The answer though is that the GOP is propping up campaigns that would have run out of money and died off in a normal cycle. If Jeb were in trumps place there would be no backing for spoiler candidates trying to force a contested convention
Actually poppa Trump is slightly behind on track to nomination. According to 538, he's 96% of his target so far. Cruz and Kasich are way, way worse. But Trump is falling behind. I guess losing Texas and Ohio screwed him.

The system was setup after 2012 to favor Establishment candidates over Religious types, in order to stop a drawn out primary. The problem is that Trump isn't following either of those patterns. Also under normal circumstances Rubio and Kasich both would have had considerable pressure on them to drop before Florida/Ohio to "give" Bush those states and it would be reasonably easy to promise them something worthwhile in exchange (Governorships , VP pick , Cabinet position, etc).

Cruz is doing surprisingly well too, which suggests they didn't kneecap the Religious type candidate enough, though that may in part be because Trump is less appealing to the religious voters than your standard Establishment pick.

I wouldn't say believing someone is voting against their best interests is inherently racist. Ignorant, maybe, but democrats definitely believe poor white republicans are voting against their interests too.

Saying this about another group is a simple misunderstanding of that group's interests.

Sanders voters who say this about black people underrate badly the specter of systemic racism in our lives and our families' lives.

Democratic voters who said this about poor white Republicans frankly underrated how much tribalism mattered to those folks, though even now many of them are beginning to also address their economic issues at the same time via Trump.

ampere

Considering Hillary's entire thing is continuing Obama's legacy I'm sure she would politically be fine with Obama's last Supreme Court pick going through after she becomes president-elect.

I think she'd be fine with it, but I wish the guy were younger if he's actually going to get approved.

Maledict

The system was setup after 2012 to favor Establishment candidates over Religious types, in order to stop a drawn out primary. The problem is that Trump isn't following either of those patterns. Also under normal circumstances Rubio and Kasich both would have had considerable pressure on them to drop before Florida/Ohio to "give" Bush those states and it would be reasonably easy to promise them something worthwhile in exchange (Governorships , VP pick , Cabinet position, etc).

Cruz is doing surprisingly well too, which suggests they didn't kneecap the Religious type candidate enough, though that may in part be because Trump is less appealing to the religious voters than your standard Establishment pick.

Trump actually gains the majority of evangelical votes in a lot of states. It's not that they didn't hamper the religious vote enough, it's the Cruz is more than just a religious candidate.

He;'s not Huckabee or Santorum, or even Pat Buchanan - he's a movement conservative who also taps into the religious right lane. He also appears to be the only candidate who actually understands how caucus's, ground games and delegates work...

It's also not that they wanted to push out "religious" candidates either. They just wanted to make it so that if a clear front runner emerged by March 15th, they could then run away with the nomination and push everyone else out.

lol

What's best sports analogy to describe the Democratic primary right now to someone who is intent that it is not over yet? I'm leaning towards a soccer team being down 8 goals at half time. Like, sure, it's technically not over, but it's really insurmountable.

"Religious liberty" bill aka right to discriminate, is headed to our birther Governor's desk in Georgia. He's going to sign that garbage right in Atlanta's gay community's face. This bill souls fail a legal challenge right?

HylianTom

Banned
What's best sports analogy to describe the Democratic primary right now to someone who is intent that it is not over yet? I'm leaning towards a soccer team being down 8 goals at half time. Like, sure, it's technically not over, but it's really insurmountable.

Two minute warning has just ended, he's 19 points down, with no time outs left, and Team Bernie has ran the punt out to their own 5 yard line. And the coach has the clock management skills of Andy Reid (or Mike Smith, hehe..)

Two minute warning has just ended, he's 19 points down, with no time outs left, and Team Bernie has ran the punt out to their own 5 yard line. And the coach has the clock management skills of Andy Reid.

No, we need a soccer metaphor for Bernie's ardent overseas fanbase. This would just confuse them.

ampere

God, those awful pie-charts. Someone needs to teach America when to pie-chart and when to bar-chart

That's not a bad one. I said "Cleveland Browns winning the Super Bowl" after the first Super Tuesday referring to Bernie's chances. Technically possible, but only in the sense that they are in signed up for the competition

That can work.. Or in Football being down 28 points. It is over for the most part unless you are the 93 Bills and the other team is the Oilers.

Or if you are down 10 points with Aaron Rodgers at QB (that ones for you Kitty. :) )

New Ronald Brownstein story said:
“That’s the great danger—that he defines what the Republican Party is in the 21st century, and because of the demographic trends that is toxic,” said the long-time GOP strategist Whit Ayres, the chief pollster for Marco Rubio. “We are on a precipice here, particularly with the Hispanic folks. The danger is we could have Hispanic voters locked into the same voting patterns as African Americans. If that happens we will never elect another Republican president.”

If anyone wants to know why the GOP will try to take the nomination away from Trump if he's one vote short of a majority, this is it. Right here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ublican-party-rests-with-donald-trump/474099/

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

It's basically the first half of the World Cup semi final b/w Germany and Brazil.

The only difference is that Brazilian fans knew it was over by the time the germans went up by three goals.

brazil-woman.gif

plac.gif

By the fifth goal they had started cheering for the other team. Bernie fans on the other hand are still holding on to hope.

Bowdz

Germany V. Brazil in the last world cup at about 78 minutes.

Edit: Oh SlimySnake, you crafty motherfucker.

Great minds bro, great minds.

It can't be stressed enough that the RNC had a specific plan to become more moderate after the 2012 defeat, yet four years later they're going to nominate an unapologetic bigot as their nominee. The party leadership is out of step with its voters and will continue to be. When Hillary stomps Trump I'm sure we'll hear a lot of hand wringing about how the party needs to be more inclusive but by 2020 they'll be firing up the hate machine to win House seats again.

I really don't see an end point for this death spiral. Southern republicans will never have a eureka moment where they say "maybe immigration isn't bad after all." And unlike dixiecrats in the 1960s, these voters don't have another political party to join.

Kusagari

The 76ers being down 20 points to the Warriors.

Bowdz

It can't be stressed enough that the RNC had a specific plan to become more moderate after the 2012 defeat, yet four years later they're going to nominate an unapologetic bigot as their nominee. The party leadership is out of step with its voters and will continue to be. When Hillary stomps Trump I'm sure we'll hear a lot of hand wringing about how the party needs to be more inclusive but by 2020 they'll be firing up the hate machine to win House seats again.

I really don't see an end point for this death spiral. Southern republicans will never have a eureka moment where they say "maybe immigration isn't bad after all." And unlike dixiecrats in the 1960s, these voters don't have another political party to join.

Trump winning the nomination is basically the worst possible thing for the GOP because it allows hardcore, Ted Cruz conservatives to argue that they lost 2016 because they didn't put up a REAL conservative. The moderates will try to reassert themselves in 2020, but the base will probably still fall for Cruz regardless of the demographic reality of the country. Trump will prolong the necessary realignment for the GOP.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh yes. That could work.

Speaking of soccer.. didn't one of Hillaru's rallies have a breakout of "I believe that we will win" chants? Sneaky..

It's the perfect metaphor.

I believe so.

They're pretty much stuck waiting for them to die off I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom