• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it available online? I hate being a cord cutter sometimes.
I pay for a VPN so I can watch the real BBC not the Americanized version. It's quite good. The first episode is about his first 100 days and how bad the economy really was. It's a BBC Two documentary series so quality isn't surprising. I'm not sure if it's on anywhere else.

Edit: I forgot I was on iPlayer when I posted originally. I had been on PBS.Sorry.

Frankly, Politico says a lot of BS things when they're trying to create a story out of nothing. Notwithstanding I'm sure he, alongside the other members of Cabinet, helped to shape the agenda. And they have to make hay out of the veepstakes now that the nominations are basically wrapped.

I'm not writing him off, I just don't see running Labor with limited other major political office as the launching pad and background that would prepare someone for the Presidency. Setting aside that I guess nothing can prepare one. There's presumably a reason half a dozen other Secretaries would assume the role before him right now.

Thoraxes

Well at least we can all agree that if N'sync doesn't get the nom, well all vote for the Backstreet Boys in november. Unless you want a Color me Badd presidency.

Hopefully Justin doesn't run as an independent and screw us over.

Watch out for 98° though. They can still pull through!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TWv813s.jpg

IcCleCm.png

Revolver "I love to reload during battle!" Ocelot is too boring in MGS5 :/

Polygon once made a chart regarding Mario Kart WiiU sales and WiiU sales and it was very bad. This is that chart with different labels.
Oh thank the Lord. I couldn't have dealt with that being a real argument someone made. Man y'all need to find a way to watch this documentary. Really good insight into the Obama administration trying to save the economy.

CCS

Banned
Interesting fact which kind of demonstrates the problem with Sanders' campaign:

In states with less than 50 pledged delegates, Sanders has won 6 states and lost 4.
In states with 50 or more pledged delegates, Sanders has won 3 and lost 13

Diablos

Pennsylvanian here -- the Poconos, coal regions, Appalachia and most of the western part of the state are going to go for Trump. The Lehigh Valley region is home to a lot of movement conservatives who will probably break for Cruz. I could see Kasich doing reasonably well in the more urban and suburban areas.

Pennsylvania has been sending out voter registrations automatically since the Tom Wolf Medicaid expansion as per the ACA law.
It doesn't matter. Pittsburgh and Philly are still staying blue. Not to mention all the counties in eastern PA around Philly as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Interesting fact which kind of demonstrates the problem with Sanders' campaign:

In states with less than 50 pledged delegates, Sanders has won 6 states and lost 4.
In states with 50 or more pledged delegates, Sanders has won 3 and lost 13
The problem with the sanders campaign is sanders. I mean he and his campaign deserve a ton of credit for making this somewhat of a real race. He's not a coalition candidate, he's not taking PAC money, he's not as well known as his challenger. There are lots of reasons why the race tightened (both a result of his efforts and not) but he never had a chance. That we will look back at the end and saw that he won 15+ states is impressive.

The way I'll judge Bernie personally is how he works to bring his voters into the Democratic Party for the general and beyond that.

So apparently tha happiest country in the world (World Happiness Report) has Bernies political plattform as ideology.

Those countries always rank highly on that Report and frequently win. But there's a lot of reasons that doesn't map well to the US (social, cultural and economic).

HylianTom

Banned
I expected to read some stuff about how Hillary got such a dominant win in Ohio... But nothing.
What was supposed to be a day of glorious afterglow coverage was instead short-circuited by a SCOTUS nomination and a Cleveland riot threat. The news cycle giveth cover in bad situations (Reagan & AIDS), and it taketh away in good situations (Electric Boogaloo Tuesday sweep!)..

linkboy

The problem with the sanders campaign is sanders. I mean he and his campaign deserve a ton of credit for making this somewhat of a real race. He's not a coalition candidate, he's not taking PAC money, he's not as well known as his challenger. There are lots of reasons why the race tightened (both a result of his efforts and not) but he never had a chance. That we will look back at the end and saw that he won 15+ states is impressive.

The way I'll judge Bernie personally is how he works to bring his voters into the Democratic Party for the general and beyond that.

Exactly.

I'm really hoping that people who support him (which I do), don't just throw their hands up and walk away after he doesn't get the nomination (which was always a long shot).

The best way to enact the changes that he's pushing for is to do it from the bottom up, through the states, then to the federal level. It's not going to be an overnight switch.

What was supposed to be a day of glorious afterglow coverage was instead short-circuited by a SCOTUS nomination and a Cleveland riot threat. The news cycle giveth cover in bad situations (Reagan & AIDS), and it taketh away in good situations (Electric Boogaloo Tuesday sweep!)..

I was looking at print media for it mainly. Sucks. Because the margin took everybody by surprise I think. The only thing I have read is about a lot of anti-NAFTA Dems in Youngstown voting for Trump and not Sanders.

HylianTom

Banned
I was looking at print media for it mainly. Sucks. Because the margin took everybody by surprise I think. The only thing I have read is about a lot of anti-NAFTA Dems in Youngstown voting for Trump and not Sanders.
I'm disappointed, too. We're going to look back on Tuesday as one of the biggest days of this whole primary cycle, and I'm hoping to get a thorough dissection. The issues that influenced voters, the effect of Trump on voting decisions among Democrats, the ground game, the expectations game..

I feel you. Kyle told me he only moderately likes Panic! at the Disco. I want us to go into therapy, but he's being an idiot about it.

Has anyone played The Political Machine 2016? I saw it online and I was thinking aboug getting it.

I loved the hell out of... I think 2008 back in the day, but ever since they switched from drawn avatars to these hideous 3D bobbleheads I've been totally unable to enjoy them.

Mechanics are probably still solid though.

Edit: Ah, no, it was from before they started numbering them, the original The Political Machine.

Before:

After:

I wouldn't expect that explain things by itself, by the time you're looking at people old enough to specifically be anti-NAFTA, you're looking at people who are ~35+ who don't break anywhere near as dramatically for Sanders in the first place.

Well a state capitalist oil driven economy funding a US welfare state isn't impossible, just implausible and probably vehemently opposed.

The US should probably apply some of Trump's 45% tariffs on Scandinavian products as a happy tax.

fantomena

So tell me in detail how and why Robert Reich and Thomas Pikketty think those arguments are useless.

I don't remember the specifics, but both of them has said that America needs huge reforms to get all the social reforms, it will be difficulty, but it can happen.

FiggyCal

Banned
For Political Machine: does every candidate start with a blank state or do some start with an advantage. I'm thinking about getting it, but only if I can win the presidency as Bobby Jindal.

For Political Machine: does every candidate start with a blank state or do some start with an advantage. I'm thinking about getting it, but only if I can win the presidency as Bobby Jindal.

Well, IIRC, you can basically build them however you want, so you could definitely play as Bobby Jindal. He might even be one of the premades.

Winning as Jindal, now, that'd be another thing altogether.

Clefargle

I feel you. Kyle told me he only moderately likes Panic! at the Disco. I want us to go into therapy, but he's being an idiot about it.

Has anyone played The Political Machine 2016? I saw it online and I was thinking aboug getting it.

Best PaTD song:
Nails for Breakfast, tacks for snacks

On topic: can't wait for Hildawg and trump to be on the same stage for a debate

Gotchaye

This makes a huge mess out of the argument for delaying a vote at all, since the whole idea is that it's not fair to the next president or the voters to let a president pick a justice in his last year. Now it's only okay to confirm a justice in the lame duck?

Tesseract

Banned
isn't regressive authoritarianism unwittingly strengthening everything awful about the west

trump is the balloon, idk what the needle is

Jarmel

Banned
This makes a huge mess out of the argument for delaying a vote at all, since the whole idea is that it's not fair to the next president or the voters to let a president pick a justice in his last year. Now it's only okay to confirm a justice in the lame duck?

They're being transparent as fuck on this.

CCS

Banned

The Democrats must be rubbing their hands with glee and trying to think of the most perfect way to frame this.

Tesseract

Banned
seems to me that succumbing to democratic dogmatism has ruined us

babylon 5 was right, we've ignored workers for too long

this revelation darkens our timeline

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Republicans are being so weird about this. Their initial message was good. American people decide blah blah. Why are they misplaying their hand so badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom