• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we at least get a short descriptive blurb when posting a link to a YouTube video rather than making us click on it blind?
but then where will the SUSPENSE be

side note this Megabus to Chicago is gonna be hilariously late with all the goddamn breaks we've been taking in Indiana

Fox318

iaLvpo2.jpg

studyguy

The shiny veneer of progressive young liberal values lasted only so long till we got a glimpse of the ugliness below the surface when those BLM protestors managed to pull the mic from Bernie.

Dark times ahead friends. If time is supposed to heal race relations then I guess the finishline is running just as fast as we are when even the kids on both sides of the political spectrum are ready to pick that dogwhistle and run with it.

Grief.exe

Was going to compare our lightning strikes and terrorism deaths to gun violence in the United States.

• total firearms: 8,454
  • total handguns: 5,782
  • total rifles: 285
  • total shotguns: 308
  • other guns: 123
  • firearms type not stated: 1,956

Rifles and Shotguns don't clear the threshold for terrorism or lightning strikes.

The rifle listing strikes me as particularly interesting as it's the least dangerous type of gun in America. Of that category, 'Assault Weapons' make up a smaller percentage of the total category as that category covers all rifle types.
Does PoliGAF think it is worth the political capital to push through an 'Assault Weapons' ban?

Source: FBI Homicide Statistics 2009-2014

So it seems that US citizens are more likely to die in a lightning strike than a terrorist attack, both domestic and foreign.

Yearly Terrorism deaths
Yearly lightning strike deaths

sc-republican.png

The (32+10)% worried about "immigration" and "terrorism" are just worried about brown people coming into their nation though.

Yup. It's why Trump's "temporary ban on Muslim immigration" policy resonated so strongly. It's the kind of policy these people were pushing for with the terrorism fear mongering in the first place. No one's scared of terrorism, they're scared of a few more Keith Ellisons in congress.

Guess what things kill the most americans? Boring stuff like heart failure (almost entirely preventable or at least heavily delayed), cancer, and lung disease. Boring things like alcohol and tobacco cost about 200 billion+ a pop to economy. Mental health costs about the same if not more (i think its underreported due to the wishy washy nature of the way we diagnose it nowadays).

I don't think I've heard the word cardiac or heart at all this election.

/medicine and epidemiology rant over.

Lindsey seems like a nice person who understands bipartisanship. I'll give him that. His policies are nuts though.
Agreed. I like that he's realistic about the current state of his party and has been vocal at speaking out about the craziness. I have a feeling that he's going to vote for Hillary even though he's supporting Ted.

So I think this is an excellent argument against many of the easy defenses for Hillary. There were definitely people who opposed the Iraq War back then, at political cost to themselves. They were right! The fact that it was politically popular to go to war with Iraq does not mean that it should have been done. We are explicitly looking for military leaders with the judgement to not invade countries just because people want to do so. Most people are very poor generals.

Note, also, that there was one easy direction to go in terms of political opposition, which is waiting for a UN resolution before acting (see the Spratt Amendment), and people chose not to take that position. This hurts Hillary's contention that she voted for it in the expectation that Bush would be rational -- there were other options that would have had more teeth in terms of enforcing rationality.

I think my position is basically that it was clearly a grave mistake and I think everybody has a full perspective on that now. Overall I trust that Hillary understands it was an error -- she has said so now -- and I would hope that making that error would improve her caution and judgement in the future. It's been 13 years, she's served as Secretary of State, and she's had a lot of opportunity to reflect and develop.

I don't know that it is reasonable to say that anybody who voted for the Iraq War should be forever ineligible for President. I mean, we didn't even do that for the people who fought against us in the Civil War! So I think that's mainly where my concern lies. Like, Hillary did a lot of stuff in the 90s and 00s that I would not want her to do now. I guess the person I'm seeing now doesn't look like a person that would do that stuff again.

Let's say Hillary wins and serves four years without getting us into a war in the Middle East. In 2020, do the people arguing against her because of the Iraq War now want to primary her because of the Iraq War? At what point do we consider Hillary "rehabilitated?"

Indeed, she had a lot of opportunity to reflect and develop. And yet...

If she made it through four year without getting y'all into a war then yeah, she's rehabilitated. Fwiw i'm more inclined to believe that her drone program will make obama's seem like a child's.

Ophelion

Guess what things kill the most americans? Boring stuff like heart failure (almost entirely preventable or at least heavily delayed), cancer, and lung disease. Boring things like alcohol and tobacco cost about 200 billion+ a pop to economy. Mental health costs about the same if not more (i think its underreported due to the wishy washy nature of the way we diagnose it nowadays).

I don't think I've heard the word cardiac or heart at all this election.

/medicine and epidemiology rant over.

It's absolutely underreported: for the reason you listed, because lots of Americans go to their PCP for such a diagnosis and most PCP's don't know shit about mental health and because a ton of people, especially here in the US, try to hide any evidence of mental health difficulties like that one guy in every zombie movie who hides his scratch constantly saying, "It's nothing." We have a very real cultural problem with the way we deal with and discuss mental health. Both just generally dealing with our thoughts and feelings in a way that doesn't involve outright denial and specifically about addressing mental disorders in a way that even remotely approaches constructive.

The problem is, I don't think "Waging a war on mental health issues" could be made sexy in any sort of election. Especially when its bastard hard to convince my fellow Americans even here in the fairly open PNW that they even exist in the first place.

Terrorists are a way easier target. Because America gets to pretend it's the John McClane of the world while addressing it and that is pleasing to us.

I could see merit in that Hillary argument if the Iraq vote was an isolated event; perhaps you could explain it as purely political, since a NY senator voting against the war could have been politically disastrous. But the problem is that she has a consistent record of this stuff. She vehemently supported regime change in Libya and Syria. The Libyan intervention was a complete disaster, and her Syrian argument relied on blatantly false pretenses (i.e. Arming the rebels could have stopped Assad).

Perhaps one could argue Hillary's hawk views are simply the product of someone attempting to build cache with the DC foreign policy establishment. Appearing "strong" is often required, perhaps especially for a woman who wants to be president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom