• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I wish I got paid for the shit I do. I've never had the courage to apply for a job in the political realm. I want to, but I chicken out and go back to my comfort zone every time.

To be fair; my career stuff is aerospace / analytics, I think most of us didn't want to do political stuff long-term. I didn't get paid fwiw (would have pissed off work) - but basically it was a bunch of nerds who saw a fellow midwesterner who practiced principled pragmatism and wanted to bring hope and unity to a country that really needed it. So, when they needed some hardcore math / analytics / statistics work done for voter targeting and voting models and etc etc, and they weren't exactly flush with cash, we just scienced the shit out of it. :D

But if it interests you, at least apply and see what comes of it. Working on the ground for a campaign sucks ass, be warned, but if you find the right people, it can be a pretty...life-affirming thing.

For me, ever since 2003 I knew I wanted that dude to be governor of IL some day (we've had a bad run of governors, you can understand why) and maybe president (we were afraid for his safety though) just because he was humble, inspiring, sincere, genuine, and remembered that principles and pragmatism are allies, not enemies.

Working for him during the 04 primary and then US senate race (though...there wasn't that much we HAD to do in that race, lol) was one of the first times I gave a crap about politics and seeing the good it can do when people genuinely want to make things better than just gain power. I remember trekking back home to watch his announcement that he was entering the presidential race, and him somehow remembering me and saying hi, and taking a few seconds to meet my family and say hi. It makes me happy that you're seeing Obama this last year just say eff it and be who he is.

Huh. How is he running Clinton 08.

She got working class whites and latinos. Obama had the ultraliberals. The young which overlaps anyway. AAs.

This time working class whites are split. He has the young and ultraliberals. She has AAs. She still has Latinos.

He's winning caucuses his strategy revolves around them like Obama. But Mook has basically blunted the impact.

thefro

Driving through Indiana is how we've learned 90% of what we know about how sensory deprivation affects the human brain.

X20Cp8r.jpg

nYBNy7n.jpg

such an ugly state! sad!

ivysaur12

Banned
lol r/SandersForPresident wants the state of Arizona to redo the primary there.

I want a redo of the 2014 Senate race in North Carolina with everyone who was able ot vote.

CeWU9ydUMAAU7f9.jpg

I don't know how to feel about the fact that threats from business are being used for good now.

"Nice all-star game you've got there, shame if anything happened to it."

That's the best way to negotiate with conservatives; invoke the power of the free market. "Feel free to discriminate, but we'll take our business elsewhere." Let them justify their actions to Supply Side Jesus.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Huh. How is he running Clinton 08.

She got working class whites and latinos. Obama had the ultraliberals. The young which overlaps anyway. AAs.

This time working class whites are split. He has the young. She has AAs. She still has Latinos.

The strategy that Clinton's advisers pushed for were to go after the working class whites super hard, and use the Clinton name + connections to keep enough minorities attached to them that it would make Obama a non-threat.

While it's not a perfect 1;1; the idea of a) going squarely for working class whites and targeting the groups that are not being courted by your opponent, rather than contesting all groups and b) planning to get a victory early on and run over your opponent were both Clinton '08 plans. (Which I assume was Sanders' plan? Like it's the only one I can think of based on what he's done?)

Once Bernie lost / barely won Iowa...it was pretty grim for his chances. Bernie didn't really go after AAs super hard until it was way too late (note; he should have been doing that shit before Iowa, and pushing the intersectionality angle harder), and Hillary's more or less left working class whites off the radar, believing that once she wins the primary, the dem working class whites will fall in line. Clinton really didn't go after young folks during the primary in 08, similar to '16, and her and Bill handled the defection of AAs to Obama pretty fucking badly (ask John Lewis), and sort of gave up on them once they started defecting (sound vaguely familiar? Sanders supporters haven't handled the lack of minority support the best either).

Wilsongt

Tired of hearing about the GOP being pissed off Obama is in another country after a terrorist attack in another country.
What a bunch of lowlife asshats who have no respect for the office of president. They don't deserve to be anywhere near it.

To me, it's like Bernie is trying to run a hybrid campaign, but he picked the wrong parts. He's taking the young vote, a la Obama, but he's unable (or unwilling, but probably the latter) to transition that into support among older voters and registered Democrats. He's ignoring minority voters, and trying to run up the margins with whites a la Hillary 2008. At least, then, she had the Latino vote. That's still firmly in her column...except for Nevada where she lost Latinos by seventy billion points.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
To me, it's like Bernie is trying to run a hybrid campaign, but he picked the wrong parts. He's taking the young vote, a la Obama, but he's unable (or unwilling, but probably the latter) to transition that into support among older voters and registered Democrats. He's ignoring minority voters, and trying to run up the margins with whites a la Hillary 2008. At least, then, she had the Latino vote. That's still firmly in her column...except for Nevada where she lost Latinos by seventy billion points.

Is that what we are going with now? I just want to keep track

Sanders is going after the disaffected more than squarely working class whites. I don't think it was the original plan, he thought his economic populism would resonate naturally but lacks any skill at intersectional messaging. It's just how it's turned out. And he hasn't really won the group so much as split it.

Also I don't think trying to get early wins just to make a viable campaign argument (if that's even really a strategy) and trying to get early win that allow you to steamroll the nomination are the same. Clinton was planning on the latter both times anyway.

And again she ignored (white) caucuses in favor of large primaries. While his entire campaign is basically built on white caucuses.

I just really don't see the parallel.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sanders is going after the disaffected more than squarely working class whites. I don't think it was the original plan, he thought his economic populism would resonate naturally but lacks any skill at intersectional messaging. It's just how it's turned out. And he hasn't really won the group so much as split it.

Also I don't think trying to get early wins just to make a viable campaign argument (if that's even really a strategy) and trying to get early win that allow you to steamroll the nomination are the same. Clinton was planning on the latter both times anyway.

Thinking back, i'm glad Obama won enough where Florida and the other states that jumped the line did not matter. Made that primary far easier for the party.

Tired of hearing about the GOP being pissed off Obama is in another country after a terrorist attack in another country.
What a bunch of lowlife asshats who have no respect for the office of president. They don't deserve to be anywhere near it.

They've had it in for him since day 1. I wish I could find the clip but I remember the Daily Show having clips of people calling him a failure the very first days of his presidency.

Is that what we are going with now? I just want to keep track

Yup.

And SC was lost because they don't have internet.
And MA was lost because Bill physically blocked 20,000 people.
And IL was lost because....look out behind you it's Wall Street!
Ohio was lost because....um....ESTABLISHMENT!
And Florida was lost because early voting is fraud and voter disenfranchisement.
And Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas didn't count because they're Red States, unlike Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho and Kansas.

Bowdz

They've had it in for him since day 1. I wish I could find the clip but I remember the Daily Show having clips of people calling him a failure the very first days of his presidency.

It's a shame, but I stopped being hyper alert to politics right after the election in 08. I was 18, first year of college, and I was engaged until the election, but afterwards, I tuned out until the ACA debates. I guess I always thought the GOP gave him deference for the majority of 09 and then rode the angry tea party wave to hating him. Fucking disgusting that people have loathes him from the get go.

Valhelm

contribute something

That's false. Bernie has tried harder to appeal to minority voters than Hillary Clinton has. However, his personality and his message don't resonate with most people of color who aren't millennials.

That's simply false. Bernie has tried harder to appeal to minority voters than Hillary Clinton has. However, his personality and his message don't resonate with most people of color who aren't millennials.

What?

It's one thing to say he's tried but I'm gonna need receipts that he tried harder

I think it's safe to say he tried, there's just know way he could overcome the decades of connections the Clintons have, plus his strategy of doing rallies instead of intimate meetings didn't work.

That's false. Bernie has tried harder to appeal to minority voters than Hillary Clinton has. However, his personality and his message don't resonate with most people of color who aren't millennials.

I mean, has he? He ignored every single state on Super Tuesday that had a higher than average AA population. I don't just mean a little bit, either. He ran no ads in places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

So, if his message doesn't resonate, you switch up your message, you don't just keep trying to put a square peg in a round hole and call it trying harder than everyone else.

Also, it's categorically false that Hillary didn't work very, very hard for her support in the AA community. Her speech in Harlem, her listening tours, her meeting and working with (and for) the mothers of the movement, the resources she poured into Flint, etc. She worked her ass off for the support she earned.

Crocodile

I mean, has he? He ignored every single state on Super Tuesday that had a higher than average AA population. I don't just mean a little bit, either. He ran no ads in places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

So, if his message doesn't resonate, you switch up your message, you don't just keep trying to put a square peg in a round hole and call it trying harder than everyone else.

Also, it's categorically false that Hillary didn't work very, very hard for her support in the AA community. Her speech in Harlem, her listening tours, her meeting and working with (and for) the mothers of the movement, the resources she poured into Flint, etc. She worked her ass off for the support she earned.

In addition to working for their vote hard in this current primary, she's been involved in communities of color for years. Sanders has only himself to blame for not trying to be active in the affairs (and not just from afar but up close and personal) of communities of color up until the very last second. That's super important if you want to be a modern Democrat of influence but since Sanders wasn't really a Democrat until recently, it clearly wasn't a priority for him.

35,000 have early voted in the Washington caucus as of today. That appears to be the Clinton campaign's strategy.

More voter fraud from Shillary.

I think early voting in a caucus is so weird, but it makes sense. If the states would just agree to pay for the damn primaries, we could get rid of these idiotic caucus.

More voter fraud from Shillary.

I think early voting in a caucus is so weird, but it makes sense. If the states would just agree to pay for the damn primaries, we could get rid of these idiotic caucus.

It's not fraud per-say but it is using the system to your advantage:

Ravens attributed this year’s higher absentee-voting rate to a more tech-savvy campaign world and the activism of the Sanders and Clinton campaigns, which each have worked to alert their supporters to the option.

“There are no rules that say they can’t do that,” he said.

In addition to emails, the Clinton camp sent a mailer to tens of thousands of voters, which included an appeal from former President Clinton along with affidavit forms and a postage-paid return envelope.

The absentee votes will be placed in envelopes and delivered to each precinct caucus leader so they can be tallied along with the in-person votes Saturday.

Jamal Raad, a state Democratic Party spokesman, noted that this is the first election in which a conflicting work schedule is a valid reason to use the absentee option — another factor that likely broadened its use.

“Nobody is going to check; let’s be honest,” said veteran Democratic political consultant Dean Nielsen.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ee-votes-flood-in-before-democratic-caucuses/

They anticipate total turnout to be about 200,000.

Slacker

The Canadian thinks this tough guy act is making him look strong, but it's actually making him look like a hothead. How about, "Why would I care what he thinks? Here's what I'm here to talk about..." Instead he's acting like they're going to meet behind the gym at 3 o'clock.

Suikoguy

It's not fraud per-say but it is using the system to your advantage.

What is the real cost difference between a Caucus and Primary? Why not have the DNC pickup some of the cost, like their cost of a Caucus?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He attacked Obama. If you want to win the black vote that's the one thing you don't do, I'm white as shit and even I know that. It's like trying to win over Catholics by saying the pope is a little bitch.

royalan

The fact that Bernie Sanders pulled completely out of the South (not even running TV ads) after losing ONE state makes this post completely false. I don't even need to get into the many different ways Hillary interacted with the black community and addressed our issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom