• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Maybe I'm just stating the obvious but it seems more and more certain that establishment republicans fully intend to stop Trump at the convention and nominate someone else. Everyone time republicans talk about it, it seems less and less like a wild idea and more and more like a real plan. It's crazy to think about. How will Trump not run third party in that scenario? How will republicans not completely alienate their base?

Makai

Trump is the Emperor from Warhammer 40k. Carson and Christie are space marines. Bernie is Captain America. Hillary is a witch or something. Jeb! is Obi-Wan's force ghost. Rubio is the Terminator. Cruz is a Tea Party guy. Lower left dude might be Kasich, no idea what the reference is. Then there's a bunch of mooks marching with Trump, and a few giant waifus for no apparent reason.

None of it makes any real sense except for Rubio as the Terminator.
Waifus include Chelsea Clinton and Ivanka Trump (no idea who the third is). Various journalists are mixed in the crowd. Debbie Schultz next to Hillary.

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious but it seems more and more certain that establishment republicans fully intend to stop Trump at the convention and nominate someone else. Everyone time republicans talk about it, it seems less and less like a wild idea and more and more like a real plan. It's crazy to think about. How will Trump not run third party in that scenario? How will republicans not completely alienate their base?

It will be too late for Trump to run third-party if he gets screwed at the convention, but let's be real here, Trump isn't going to get screwed at the convention. If Trump gets screwed by the RNC, Cleveland will burn and GOP officials will be shot. The party is far too cowardly to face the fascist mobs that Trump will bring with him.

Bowdz

Cruz got owned literally two seconds after his tough talk, that's incredible:

https://twitter.com/HallieJackson/status/713146636562640896

Literally two seconds! I'm using the original definition of literally here.

Lmao, Ted Cruz is finally uttering the GOP nominee death phrase:

Rick Perry: Look, Donald Trump won't be the nominee of our party - Gone

Scott Walker: Donald Trump is never going to be the nominee of the GOP - Gone

Piyush: Donald Trump is not gonna be the GOP nominee - Gone

Jeb!: Donald Trump won't be the Republican nominee - Gone

Rubitron: Donald Trump won't be our nominee 011010110 - Gone

Lyin Ted: Look, Donald Trump is not going to be the Republican nominee - ???

This is the phrase of doom for a GOP candidate.

royalan

In my opinion, the RNC is fucked no matter which direction they fart in. Might as well deny Trump, piss off his supporters and have them defect. It'll lead to a stronger party in the long run, might even help them eventually win over some minority voters after they amputate that overtly racist limb.

They're fucked either way, this year. But if they can be the party that didn't nominate Donald Trump, their inevitable moderation and outreach to minority groups may be a 15-year process, instead of a 30-year one where they just have to wait for there to be a sizable pool of voters who weren't alive to remember when Republican nominee Trump wondered aloud if Michelle Obama designed her healthy lunches on the rag because she hates whitey or some such nonsense.

Makai

Lmao, Ted Cruz is finally uttering the GOP nominee death phrase:

Rick Perry: Look, Donald Trump won't be the nominee of our party - Gone

Scott Walker: Donald Trump is never going to be the nominee of the GOP - Gone

Piyush: Donald Trump is not gonna be the GOP nominee - Gone

Jeb!: Donald Trump won't be the Republican nominee - Gone

Rubitron: Donald Trump won't be our nominee 011010110 - Gone

Lyin Ted: Look, Donald Trump is not going to be the Republican nominee - ???

This is the phrase of doom for a GOP candidate.
Karl Rove, Mitt, Ryan, etc

Makai

Someone should label everyone in this anime pic.
From Top/Down, Left/Right

chelsea clinton, ivanka trump, ???
debbie wasserman shultz, hillary clinton, bernie sanders, ???
hugh hewitt, rush limbaugh, sean hannity
trump, carson, laura ingraham, christie
kasich, cruz, rubio, jeb

johnsmith

remember me
That's Tulsi Gabbard next to bernie.

And it's not Hugh Hewitt, it's jeff sessions.

deNaq0L.jpg

beaten like trump in utah

Genuinely interested in what's poligaf's favorite hilary policies that are unique to her and why. Also would appreciate it if someone takes the time to explain what makes her college loan repayment plan different than the income based repayment plan I'm already currently in.

Sure why not. I've had enough wine and chocolate that I feel up to the task. I'll answer your second question first, then swing back to the first.

Her plan eliminates all four of the current income sensitive repayment plans and rolls them into one. No more than 10% of your income for no more than 20 years. Her plan also simplifies enrollment, and you'd have the option of having it taken directly from your check without having to do anything. The plan also allows all of our existing loans to be refinanced at a lower rate. I think it was 2.5%, but don't quote me on that. The point was there would be no money made by the federal government on loans.

As to specific policies that are important to me that Hillary has laid out and gone into detail on:

1) She wants to ban conversion therapy for minors. I'm not saying Bernie wouldn't, as I'm sure anyone with half a brain would, but his website doesn't cover that in any type of detail. Hillary's, via The Briefing, does. In fact, her entire LGBT platform is far more robust and detailed than Bernie's is.

2) She has a platform that focuses on LGBT Seniors, a group that most people ignore or don't even think about. LGBT seniors face institutional homophobia in access to retirement homes, community services, etc. She's the only candidate I've seen ever mention it in her policy papers.

3) Because we know Bernie's single payer plan is going no where, I don't know what he'd end up doing on healthcare. Hillary has laid out plans that increasing funding for people living with HIV/AIDS, she wants to work on the public option, negotiating drug prices, etc. With her, I know where she wants to go. With Bernie, I know he can't get what he wants, so I have no idea where he would go. (Nor do I think he has the capital to do much of anything.)

4) I prefer her tax policy to Bernie's. Raising middle class taxes is electoral suicide and not something I can get behind.

5) I trust her on foreign policy in a way that I do not trust Bernie. A vote against the Iraq war does not a foreign policy platform create.

So there are a few reasons on specific policy issues I prefer Hillary to Bernie on. Plus, and I know this one may surprise people, I simply like her better than I like Bernie. In all honesty, I can't say that I personally like him any more. I don't hate him. I don't wish him ill, but his abrasive personality is not endearing to me like it is to some.

johnsmith

remember me
Also the girls are states. Florida, Missouri, and another state. Not sure which is which.

"Mo, NOBODY in their right minds put their HQ out front like that! Why the hell would you put your commander under so much risk?

Risk and opportunity go hand in hand, Flora. What separates the winners from the losers is how they react to risk."

Such wisdom, God Emperor Trump understands this.

Makai

Also the girls are states. Florida, Missouri, and another state. Not sure which is which.

"Mo, NOBODY in their right minds put their HQ out front like that! Why the hell would you put your commander under so much risk?

Risk and opportunity go hand in hand, Flora. What separates the winners from the losers is how they react to risk."
Booooo.

I prefer my interpretation of Chelsea, Ivanka, and Hugh.

Trump is the Emperor from Warhammer 40k. Carson and Christie are space marines. Bernie is Captain America. Hillary is a witch or something. Jeb! is Obi-Wan's force ghost. Rubio is the Terminator. Cruz is a Tea Party guy. Lower left dude might be Kasich, no idea what the reference is. Then there's a bunch of mooks marching with Trump, and a few giant waifus for no apparent reason.

The funny thing is that Trump is using Ea, which is Gilgamesh's big weapon in Fate Stay Night.

As for the waifu's comment, this is based as a side series/doujinshi of the popular browser Kantai Collection game only using anthropomorphic US Ships rather than the IJN. The US Election has gotten a big interest over there and the artist has been drawing the candidates as seen here. Since this was based of the recent Arizona one one of the girls is USS Arizona.

thcsquad

Genuinely interested in what's poligaf's favorite hilary policies that are unique to her and why. Also would appreciate it if someone takes the time to explain what makes her college loan repayment plan different than the income based repayment plan I'm already currently in.

Not necessarily a policy difference (they both support it) but let's talk about paid family leave. I think this is one of the most important things we can do. It affects gender equity (pay gap is worsened by moms often being the only one who can take leave), it affects childhood development, and it affects income inequality (the choices the poor make for to deal with child care hinder their economic progress. Most people think this is a good thing. Even rubio has a plan for it. It's a dumb tax credit that is insufficient for variety of reasons, but Republicans aren't opposed to doing something about it.

So i think we can make real progress on it, even with republicans in congress. Both democratic candidates support it, but Hillary spends more time talking about it than Bernie and it fits the profile of causes that she spends political capital on (womens and children's issues). It seems like a footnote in Bernie's platform, one that he would never get around to doing because he would be wasting time on the grand initiatives that will never pass.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

There's also DWS and Tulsi Gabbard next to Hillary and Bernie.

And surely the waifus have to represent something, though I can't for the life of me figure that out.

Hexa

And surely the waifus have to represent something, though I can't for the life of me figure that out.

Its explained in the link above. They represent different parts of America.
City and Country on Trump's side. Aristocracy (?) on the other.

The girls are anthropomorphized US WWII ships as girls, based off a Japanese browser game that uses IJN versions against a monster threat. The one on the right is USS Arizona, the one in the middle is USS Missouri and the one on left is USS Florida.

Well its not like youve ever been picky adam, it would be noteworthy if a guy didnt turn you on

I can think of a few people....most of which are running for the GOP nomination.

But there's a difference between "totally would" and "He's hot af." Trevor Noah is in that hot as fuck category.

Eh, I enjoyed it. You write well.

Thank you.

Mwahaha

Senator Graham: "My joke is Trump makes Boehner look like an albino."

ampere

3) Because we know Bernie's single payer plan is going no where, I don't know what he'd end up doing on healthcare. Hillary has laid out plans that increasing funding for people living with HIV/AIDS, she wants to work on the public option, negotiating drug prices, etc. With her, I know where she wants to go. With Bernie, I know he can't get what he wants, so I have no idea where he would go. (Nor do I think he has the capital to do much of anything.)

4) I prefer her tax policy to Bernie's. Raising middle class taxes is electoral suicide and not something I can get behind.

His tax raising making sense hinges on single payer working out, but chicken/egg? Does he propose that we raise taxes immediately while trying to get single payer (which won't go anywhere)?

Stuff like that is problematic, regardless of how much I'd prefer single payer and how I was initially captivated by his drive to achieve it.

Like you said, the plans aren't realistic, so what would he actually do? They're important questions

Tubie

Would this magazine risk publishing something like this against someone so high profile without having anything real behind it?

If just one of the women in this story come out and say it's true then Cruz is done I think.

daedalius

Sure why not. I've had enough wine and chocolate that I feel up to the task. I'll answer your second question first, then swing back to the first.

Her plan eliminates all four of the current income sensitive repayment plans and rolls them into one. No more than 10% of your income for no more than 20 years. Her plan also simplifies enrollment, and you'd have the option of having it taken directly from your check without having to do anything. The plan also allows all of our existing loans to be refinanced at a lower rate. I think it was 2.5%, but don't quote me on that. The point was there would be no money made by the federal government on loans.

As to specific policies that are important to me that Hillary has laid out and gone into detail on:

1) She wants to ban conversion therapy for minors. I'm not saying Bernie wouldn't, as I'm sure anyone with half a brain would, but his website doesn't cover that in any type of detail. Hillary's, via The Briefing, does. In fact, her entire LGBT platform is far more robust and detailed than Bernie's is.

2) She has a platform that focuses on LGBT Seniors, a group that most people ignore or don't even think about. LGBT seniors face institutional homophobia in access to retirement homes, community services, etc. She's the only candidate I've seen ever mention it in her policy papers.

5) I trust her on foreign policy in a way that I do not trust Bernie. A vote against the Iraq war does not a foreign policy platform create.

So there are a few reasons on specific policy issues I prefer Hillary to Bernie on. Plus, and I know this one may surprise people, I simply like her better than I like Bernie. In all honesty, I can't say that I personally like him any more. I don't hate him. I don't wish him ill, but his abrasive personality is not endearing to me like it is to some.

Excellent post

His tax raising making sense hinges on single payer working out, but chicken/egg? Does he propose that we raise taxes immediately while trying to get single payer (which won't go anywhere)?

Stuff like that is problematic, regardless of how much I'd prefer single payer and how I was initially captivated by his drive to achieve it.

Like you said, the plans aren't realistic, so what would he actually do? They're important questions

He'll probably get the taxes first, but at this point I do not support tax raises. People already barely have much money has it is raising that seems to hurt them financially speaking. Plus, everyone has different circumstances I don't agree with one size fits all. ACA has a marketplace that allows people to choose what best for them, but I don't know much so I could be talking out of my ass. Hillary's approach to the best of my knowledge makes sense because it is basically healthcare for all, but it is not a single payer . Although, I wonder why a single payer is something that is better than expanding ACA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom