• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're all dreaming of Clinton crushing Trump in the general but the guy is a legit proto-fascist. Having the Republicans take him out in a bloody convention would be best for the country.

Cruz is no better though and actually worse in alot of ways, so hopefully he doesnt win either. If a republican wins the general election this year, progress is screwed thanks to he supreme court seats coming open.

Florida isn't really where the concern should be for Trump, it's Missouri and Illinois. It sucks how this is the most important day of the primary season and only Florida/Ohio get much good polling.
They're just preparing for the general election.

In GEs only FL/OH/PA get consistent, quality polling.

My favorite was Suffolk in 2012 making a big fuss about how they wouldn't poll VA, NC or even FL anymore because they'd "already painted those states red." Morons.

Rubenov

I am very confident that neither Cruz nor Trump will ever be President. If this goes to brokered convention though, and someone like Paul Ryan or Mitt Romney is selected, then I'm not so sure of the outcome.

Cruz is no better though and actually worse in alot of ways, so hopefully he doesnt win either. If a republican wins the general election this year, progress is screwed thanks to he supreme court seats coming open.

Cruz is terrible but he doesn't encourage crowds to beat up protesters. There are basic social norms that Trump is violating. I'm willing to accept a lower chance of winning if it means that some shred of civil society is preserved.

I always saw 395 as the ceiling for the Democrats in the general election. That's Obama's map, plus Arizona, Missouri, and Georgia. I can't think of a second state that would flip. Maybe Montona, Alaska, or South Carolina?

I could see Montana...South Carolina is a stretch. Possibly Arkansas with Hillary's "home-state" advantage. The next ones that would even be possible are Kentucky/Tennessee/Texas. All of these are huge stretches tbh.

Maledict

What on gods earth was she thinking? I'm not even sure why she's going to the damn funeral, she's already labelled a fake democrat and a secret republican, but now she comes out with something like this?

I understand she needs to pivot to the middle for the general, but this is not the way to do it. - at all

What on gods earth was she thinking? I'm not even sure why she's going to the damn funeral, she's already labelled a fake democrat and a secret republican, but now she comes out with something like this?

I understand she needs to pivot to the middle for the general, but this is not the way to do it. - at all

She's a former first lady, so it was always expected she would go. The issue is what she said about the Reagans and AIDS. Ridiculous.

ElNarez

Banned

she probably has to attend, just as Former First Lady, but like

you could just say "I don't wanna make a statement", people would get it, it's a funeral, you're a candidate, that's already kinda gross

you didn't have to make it way the fuck worse

Maybe it's a "women supporting other women" thing.

Fuck... She is just a bad campaigner, man. Seems out of touch and unaware that something like that would rightfully piss off the people she needs behind her. Bleh.

I mean, the only way that it makes sense is if she was saying by their silence we started having a national conversation because we realized something had to be done. Even that, though, is a mental stretch that I'm not even remotely comfortable with.

What could have possibly compelled her to go there, though? You want to talk about something good she did, focus on the Alzheimer's Disease things she did. What in the hell would poses someone to go to HIV/AIDS with the god damn fucking Reagans!?

Ugh. I don't often get legit pissed with her about shit, but someone needs to release a clarifying statement. Also, there's a reason HIllary doesn't do a bunch of press conferences. Here's a good example of why.

I mean, the only way that it makes sense is if she was saying by their silence we started having a national conversation because we realized something had to be done. Even that, though, is a mental stretch that I'm not even remotely comfortable with.

What could have possibly compelled her to go there, though? You want to talk about something good she did, focus on the Alzheimer's Disease things she did. What in the hell would poses someone to go to HIV/AIDS with the god damn fucking Reagans!?

Ugh. I don't often get legit pissed with her about shit, but someone needs to release a clarifying statement. Also, there's a reason HIllary doesn't do a bunch of press conferences. Here's a good example of why.
That's a huge stretch that avoids the context it was said. She should have avoided it altogether. She needs to retract and apologize as soon as possible.

dramatis

Completely unrelated, but I saw this at Ars Technica, is this you?

XaMvZjj.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
It was bad optics, but you guys are really overreacting. She'll clarify her statement and she'll be fine.

You're probably right. Still feels like a gut punch.

I'm thankful that she'll be facing a fundamentally electorally-doomed opponent, and that he's taking-up a lot of media oxygen. And that this happened on a Friday afternoon instead of a Monday. This is the one of those things I think of when I say she's a lackluster campaigner.

Hot damn.

There's no question that she needed to say nice things about Ms. Reagan. Although I didn't care for her personally, there are a few things you could go with, least of all is her advocacy for stem cell research and Alzheimer's Disease. You could praise her grace and advocacy. You could go with "Just say no" or the Nancy Reagan foundation.

But to go with HIV/AIDS is just ridiculous. It makes no sense. There was nothing in the Reagan Administration that would cause you to praise them for the way they handled the early days of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. I mean, they couldn't have done much worse than if they'd go on TV and said "Who cares, it's just fags."

She'll issue a statement. It won't hurt her in the polls or whatever, because, sadly, most people just don't give a shit. But it's something she needs to own and clarify today.

The Reagans ruining everything even in death...

Naw it's all on HRC here. Twitter feed exploded in hate towards HRC after that mess-up, and well deserved. No pity for her but not sure if it'll be enough to tank everything.

AndyD

aka andydumi
There's no question that she needed to say nice things about Ms. Reagan. Although I didn't care for her personally, there are a few things you could go with, least of all is her advocacy for stem cell research and Alzheimer's Disease. You could praise her grace and advocacy. You could go with "Just say no" or the Nancy Reagan foundation.

But to go with HIV/AIDS is just ridiculous. It makes no sense. There was nothing in the Reagan Administration that would cause you to praise them for the way they handled the early days of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. I mean, they couldn't have done much worse than if they'd go on TV and said "Who cares, it's just fags."

She'll issue a statement. It won't hurt her in the polls or whatever, because, sadly, most people just don't give a shit. But it's something she needs to own and clarify today.

Indeed. So many things to touch on, and she picked one of the worst.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Don't worry the next outrageous thing Trump says and most will forget about it.

Goddamn, I expect a gaffe like this from Sanders considering his white people cant be poor comments.

FiggyCal

Banned
I've always been super wary of Hillary on LGBT issues and shit like this certainly doesn't help.

I'm not really sure how. Maybe she really does have a profound respect for the Reagans, but I don't think this awkward statement tells us about her opinion on gay people at all.

Kyosaiga

Banned
I'm not really sure how. Maybe she really does have a profound respect for the Reagans, but I don't think this awkward statement tells us about her opinion on gay people at all.
It doesn't. It's all about optics and that means a shit ton in politics.

Perception is reality.

Well shit. Fuck this. She is getting a giant gift in probably running against Trump and then she has to go and say something like this. Why are you doing this, Hillary?! You should be able to win easily, stop saying dumb shit!! Do you want a President Trump?!

Fuck, I gotta take a break from this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom