• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
His campaign should pay for it if he's not working for the state of NJ (which is what Scott Walker did). Why should taxpayers pay for him to travel around promoting Trump?

Because he's still Gov? and he doesn't stop doing that job on the road?

I'm totally fine with requiring that people that want to run for a different office than the one they currently hold should be forced to quit their currently-held office, tbqh.

You wanna take a gamble? Do it on your own time.

This is absolutely anti-democratic limiting the availability of qualified candidates and the ability of government to work. You'd have like half the senate quitting and states losing their elected govs.

I hate term limits too.

What does running for president have to do with what he was hired here to do? What if he went on a 50 state tour AS GOVERNOR to distribute cake?

He should get protections as long as gov. Its pretty simple. I think its foolish to demarcate what should be protected and what shouldn't.

He's got his powers as gov 24/7

This is absolutely anti-democratic limiting the availability of qualified candidates and the ability of government to work. You'd have like half the senate quitting and states losing their elected govs.

I hate term limits too.

They were elected by a very specific group of people to serve a very specific purpose. Their running for a different position is for their own interests.

This is absolutely democratic. Allowing them to run without abdicating the position and letting a replacement immediately take over and do the job full time isn't.

I also see half the senate quitting as a good thing, fwiw. Can't quite figure how you got to that number, however.

I'm not seeing any headlines on Hillary's gaffe, yet GAF is losing their goddamned minds over this.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still really annoying to see.

Effect

Because he's still Gov? and he doesn't stop doing that job on the road?

If the sole purpose of his trip to talk up Trump then he's not doing his job on the road. It's not like he's traveling to have meetings with some group regarding an issue in NJ or even taking a vacation (which on the stumping for Trump isn't) and can clearly devote time to the job and even then that's limited like all jobs. Trump's campaign should be paying for his expenses since they're the ones that want his help.

Is there any actual republican push back on this in NJ?

They were elected by a very specific group of people to serve very specific interests. Their running for a different position is for their own interest.

This is absolutely democratic. Allowing them to run without abdicating the position and letting a replacement immediately take over and do the job full time isn't.

I also see half the senate quitting as a good thing, fwiw. Can't quite figure how you got to that number, however.

2013 the people of new jersey elected christie to 4 years.

Unless they recall/impeach him he's free to do other things as long has he's still doing his job as gov.

I haven't seen any thing saying he wasn't fulfilling his constitutional duties.

If the sole purpose of his trip to talk up Trump then he's not doing his job on the road. It's not like he's traveling to have meetings with some group regarding an issue in NJ or even taking a vacation (which on the stumping for Trump isn't) and can clearly devote time to the job and even then that's limited like all jobs. Trump's campaign should be paying for his expenses since they're the ones that want his help.

Is there any actual republican push back on this in NJ?

He doesn't have to be doing something specific to NJ. He's gov 100% of the time. He should get protection 24/7. When he's spending time with his family, meeting with business leaders, talking up fascists, whatever. He's gov. This is pure partisian bullshit.

You guys think Obama should forgo his Secret Service protection when he stumps for Hillary?

Holmes

I'm not seeing any headlines on Hillary's gaffe, yet GAF is losing their goddamned minds over this.

To be fair, and this is coming from someone who was not 100% up in arms by the comment but did think it was wrong, the straight world, of which the media is a part of, just doesn't give two shits about LGBT issues.

2013 the people of new jersey elected christie to 4 years.

Unless they recall/impeach him he's free to do other things as long has he's still doing his job as gov.

I haven't seen any thing saying he wasn't fulfilling his constitutional duties.

They elected Christie to be governor of the state for four years. They did not elect Christie to be governor for a while and then become a presidential candidate in 2016.

Took all of five seconds on google. Cmon mate.

Zee Times said:
He has delegated virtually all of his office’s public activities to Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno, who has played an increasingly prominent role even when Mr. Christie is in New Jersey. Ms. Guadagno has met frequently with foreign dignitaries, business leaders and civic groups. She also attended the funerals of two police officers in December when Mr. Christie was in the state.

And yes, he's free to do other things for as long as the shitty laws that allow him to do other things without getting the boot remain in place. That much goes without saying, obviously.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Are you suggesting this is not a calm and measured reaction to an unfortunate gaffe while trying to say something positive about a person who just died:

At this point we should just stop pretending that Hillary isn't actually a Republican.

The choices this election cycle are Hillary (R), Trump (I), and Bernie (D).

Yeah, I don't consider Trump a Republican. He's just using that party for his own devices because it's a two-party system.

To be fair, and this is coming from someone who was not 100% up in arms by the comment but did think it was wrong, the straight world, of which the media is a part of, just doesn't give two shits about LGBT issues.

This really hasn't been true for years.

I mean we have two prominent LGBT hosts on two of the biggest cable channels. Plus Don Lemon, Shepard Smith, Robin Roberts

and all these people

http://www.advocate.com/politics/media/2014/09/16/50-most-influential-lgbt-people-media

Did you miss the coverage of Gay Marriage which was overwhelmingly pro-lgbt, the coverage of anti-gay laws.

hawk2025

I'm pretty unhappy with the way both parties are turning out to be so anti-Trade.

I've said too much on this, and at this point I'm just repeating myself.

Incredibly disappointing pandering. I guess the silver lining is that the Republican party now has *zero* redeeming features for me.

Thoraxes

That's a lot of people outside the Chicago Trump rally

a gaffer is there. he posted this on twitter lol

CdTn8nXXIAAGkYq.jpg
Chicago is the last place you want to be holding a Trump rally.

He's not near the bad neighborhoods though, where all the crime usually is. It's at UIC.
A majority of Chicago is fine, and most people stay in the loop anyways. I would've expected someone like him to either be way down south towards Springfield or up north in the richer burbs though.

I'm pretty unhappy with the way both parties are turning out to be so anti-Trade.
The long ruling/establishment portion of both parties is still in favour of it. The protectionist fringes has just gotten two prominent voices. Although one of them is going to win a nomination I guess.

hawk2025

The ruling portion of both parties is still in favour of it. The protectionist fringes has just gotten two prominent voices. Although one of them is going to win a nomination I guess.

But it has been a pretty successful, popular point for both, and that might push the other candidates to think it's a good political idea.

The anti-Trade fallacy is a very easy argument to make; Explaining why it's wrong is considerably more complicated, IMO. Especially when one of the only ones trying to explain it is fucking Rubio, of all people.

Who is the most liberal of the three? Watford? I've read Garland is center-leftish and I know Srinivasan lacks a verifiable record but is presumed to be a liberal judge.
Srinivasan is probably centre left by US standards from memory. Provided they're left of the current swing they shift the court. But there's no Notorious RBG coming out of this.

As am I. Though I trust Clinton will pivot back once she's in office, just like Obama (though I imagine she'll be to his left on this). You can't be anti-trade and pro-economic growth unless you're proposing a massive increase in government spending paid with debt.

Wilsongt

NPR just did a story like 5 mins ago.

BernieBros are creaming their pants again, just like with the Michigan win.

They are quick to jump on Hillary, and continue to do so, even after she apologized. Yet they barely bat an eye when Bernie said what he did about southern blacks and ghettos. Hell, I barely even know when Bernie gaffes because BernieBros bury that shit so fast you barely see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom