• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sort of concerned that this was all deliberate?! He had to know there'd be extra trouble holding an event in the damn middle of the city with a majority minority population in the area + thousands of college students a few blocks away + in a building that would be impossible to secure entirely. As the CNN guy said, there are huge arenas out in the red-as-fuck suburbs that would be relatively immune to something like this.
I'll be interested to see how he addresses this at his next rally. Whatever he says, I'm sure it'll fan the racial flames even more. He seems to be getting more aggressive.

Frankly, you could appoint a center-right judge and it would still be a drastic swing to the left. Scalia was a nightmare.
Yeah, even if he were dead center politically, giving the court two swing votes would be a huge improvement. In some ways, I think it'd be good to have a 'swing' faction on the court. Make the wings earn those votes.

Sanders needs to distance himself from these protesters ASAP.
I'll be interested to see how he addresses this at his next rally. Whatever he says, I'm sure it'll fan the racial flames even more. He seems to be getting more aggressive.
"Look at them trying to stop our movement! Those radicals! We refuse to be silenced!" ...Wow. Would not have thought that Donald Fucking Trump would be the spark for the fabled "race riots" Glen Beck has been predicting for years. And lol at the idea that Ted Cruz would be much better.
damn, good job Chicago
Chicago PD is corrupt as fuck but they get the job done when it counts for big operations.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Even though I refuse to believe Trump could beat Hillary in the general, not only would he be an embarrassing president, he could really divide the country where these sorts of events become common.

Dyle

Wow Trumps rally in Chicago tonight was just cancelled. Thousands of protesters outside the arena as everyone is leaving. Hopefully this will hurt his numbers enough here in Illinois that Kasich can steallots of delegates. Very wild to watch on tv

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow Trumps rally in Chicago tonight was just cancelled. Thousands of protesters outside the arena as everyone is leaving. Hopefully this will hurt his numbers enough here in Illinois that Kasich can steallots of delegates. Very wild to watch on tv

Don't you think this is just going to reinforce the people who were at these rallies?

Especially if you were a Trumper or you were a conservative and you were watching and you see people shouting Bernie Bernie or Hillary Hillary...

I think this is going to escalate to serious violence.

watershed

Banned
I'm loving the organized protest against Trump in Chicago. I hope people start paying attention to what his rhetoric and campaign is doing to our politics instead of laughing him off as a funny diversion or encouraging him as a "outsider".

Frankly, you could appoint a center-right judge and it would still be a drastic swing to the left. Scalia was a nightmare.
I think it was stump who pointed this out earlier already, but you actually wouldn't unless they're left of the current swing vote.

Appointing someone reliably to the right of the current swing doesn't actually shift decisions.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Wow Drumpfs rally in Chicago tonight was just cancelled. Thousands of protesters outside the arena as everyone is leaving. Hopefully this will hurt his numbers enough here in Illinois that Kasich can steallots of delegates. Very wild to watch on tv
Besides debates I don't know what hurts Trump anymore. It feels like this will only fuel the anger, making him stronger.

billeh

Would love to see this work in Bernie's favor.

Draw the link between Rahm and Hillary, fire up the base by stumping Trump.

Don't you think this is just going to reinforce the people who were at these rallies?

Especially if you were a Trumper or you were a conservative and you were watching and you see people shouting Bernie Bernie or Hillary Hillary...

Yep, this is just the beginning, and it's going to get VERY ugly

Effect

Willie Geist ‏@WillieGeist 8m8 minutes ago
.@MSNBC will stay with live coverage of the remarkable scene in Chicago. Our Ohio town hall with John Kasich will air later tonight.

Ah. I see. Even with it airing later that's going to hurt. He had a good time slot for it.

PBY

Banned
Kasich is a piece of shit tho

royalan

Sanders needs to distance himself from these protesters ASAP.

I agree.

I can't imagine either side is looking pretty good to any undecided moderates/independents right now. This is a damn mess.

I think Bernie could earn some points here by riding advice and calling for some civility among his supporters. But the Hillary supporter in me hopes he continues to bury his head in the sand in regards to his supporters' behavior.

Yaaaaass keep making Queen the sane choice!

I mean, Trump is the guy that tells his supporters to surround protesters and shout TRUMP TRUMP, so again, he has set the tone here. If someone already supports trump this far into the game, after everything he's done and said, then there's no need for reinforcement. It's already Fort Knox.

PBY

Banned
Still blows my mind that Trump is so hated and dudes who aren't that much more moderate if at all skate

They're all the same America

I can't wait to rage when Obama gets name-checked for the protestors at the rally. I'm sure they'll also reference his connection to Chicago.

"See this just shows how Obama has been dividing the nation!"

How can he govern?
It's something I've been meaning to ask for a while now, it's something that's ignored in the veepstakes which is more understandable. But I'm kind of curious what people would rate the current candidates in terms of whether they could actually "do the job" ie the Presidency and all it entails. Separated from whether you agree with their stances.

Trump is essentially zero on this scale.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I mean, Trump is the guy that tells his supporters to surround protesters and shout TRUMP TRUMP, so again, he has set the tone here. If someone already supports trump this far into the game, after everything he's done and said, then there's no need for reinforcement. It's already Fort Knox.

But his supporters don't care about "tone," they want to go to his rally and hear him complain about Muslims. Now they can't hear him complain about Muslims because "protestor types" are outside and there are security concerns.

I agree, NOT good for the general. But for the primary? This is like red meat. Nothing revs up white privilege like denial by brown people.

Welp. This is one of those "I cannot believe that actually happened on live TV" events I'll remember for the rest of my life.
There'll be one narrative that Trump is dangerous as fuck to have on a national stage when stuff like this can happen when he speaks, but, yeah, there's a really obvious narrative of dem damn liberuls trying to silence the words of TRUE 'MURICANS! (And to be fair, they have as much a legitimate right to assemble as anyone else)

At least there's no real way to deny any longer that this has always been much about race.

User 406

Banned
Still blows my mind that Trump is so hated and dudes who aren't that much more moderate if at all skate

While any of the nominees would be godawful, only one of them is directly fomenting violence among the people he speaks to. Nobody at a Cruz or Rubio rally is shoving or punching protestors around while Daddy tells them they need to be even more aggressive. He's just reaping what he's sown.

I'm hoping this fires up all the racists and bigots and helps Trump win Ohio and FL. He needs to be the nominee. He has no chance in the general. No friggin chance.

Holmes

I wonder who will win the Northern Marianas caucus tomorrow and what kind of momentum that will bring going into Tuesday!?!

Trump is killing the rest of the republicans, he's the leader, he's setting the tone, and he's the one with violence at his rallies and a whole lot of hate. I haven't seen any of the others say the kind of shit he has, essentially emboldening the behavior we've seen on video. ("I'll pay your legal fees".)

The others are fucked, but they aren't Trump, leading republican nominee.

I hope the protests stay massive, although I definitely would like to see it a bit more reigned in. There's definite danger here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom