• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bad strategy. His best strategy would be to close the gap considerably leading into June and then pour literally tens of millions into California. If he can win big there after closing the gap to <100 delegates, he might have a shot.

His best strategy would've been to stay in the bloody party when he first joined it in 2006.

Drakeon

qv0ndspskumyr-hzhtuiiw.png

All this tells me is that they don't know who he is. It's also from November, but I would understand if polls regarding this specific subject are not often conducted.

Cerium

All this tells me is that they don't know who he is.

...That makes zero sense. Trump has near 100% name recognition and unfamiliarity doesn't correlate with unfavorable ratings.

A rating that intense would actually indicate extraordinarily high familiarity.

Especially not when Latinos now outnumber Whites in CA. They make up 40% of the state.

I'm nitpicking here, but according to the 2010 census non-hispanic whites are 42.3% of the population and hispanic people of any race are 37.6%. Not that this would matter much in the overall outcome compared to what you said.

Drakeon

Trying to play California off as a pivotal state is amusing though, given it is among the last states to vote. It'd have been very consequential if it happened any time from February to April.

Holmes

New Jersey and New Mexico also vote the same day as California so Sanders would also need to offset the gains Clinton makes in those states as well. Basically hoping to erase your large pledged delegate lead by spending all your money on California is so stupid that of course Weaver and Devine would do it.

Trying to play California off as a pivotal state is amusing though, given it is among the last states to vote. It'd have been very consequential if it happened any time from February to April.

Imagine a scenario where a candidate from California is down by <100 delegates heading into June? That would be the greatest home state bounce :p

New Jersey and New Mexico also vote the same day as California so Sanders would also need to offset the gains Clinton makes in those states as well. Basically hoping to erase your large pledged delegate lead by spending all your money on California is so stupid that of course Weaver and Devine would do it.

What makes you think Clinton will win New Mexico? I don't see why it would deviate significantly from Colorado.

Taking a cue from Donald Trump would be more like a successful hostile takeover of Sony Computer Entertainment.

hmmm. gotta reverse the roles, tho.
Ninty joining MS and then taking charge of the xbox division.

feels like it'd most likely be the kind of relationship that would benefit both sides immensely, what with both having something that the other desperately lacks.

Almost there. The source had it at 48% in 2008 from exit polls. It probably is over 50 now.

Throughout the southern states the non-white vote was up. I recall it being up in Nevada.

BanGy.nz

Banned
The conversation on trade this cycle, from both sides, is idiotic.
The rise of Anti-free trade rhetoric under a normal election cycle would be terrifying for me, this cycle it bearly registers because so many other things are significantly worse.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
California and New York are the only two states with sizable asian populations as far as I'm aware, so it'll be a while before we know.
New Jersey has a higher Asian population than New York (8.3% vs 7.3%), although that's not useful here since NJ hasn't voted yet either.

Washington's up there with about 7.2%. Same with Nevada, but I don't see any exit polling breakdowns from that caucus for Asian-Americans. There are a bunch of articles about Asian-Americans organizing to support Hillary in that caucus, for what it's worth.

The conversation on trade this cycle, from both sides, is idiotic.

I feel that the truly idiotic thing to do would be to dismiss/ignore the sentiment. It is there, it is strong, it is likely to become stronger. How do democrats plan to make those that feel/are negatively impacted vote for them?

Telling them "but free trade is awesome you guys!" appears to be insuficient.

Interesting NPR segment on Clinton's weakness with the white working class: http://one.npr.org/i/470194240:470194241

It's trade

I don't think it is actually something they think, but is more like something they are putting blaming. The issue with Hillary is that whatever her message is it isn't working on this guys at all, but Bernie has a home-field advantage, and regardless whatever she does it won't be all that effective against him. I think that Bernie don't proved specifics and mostly just use his regular talking points, Hillary can't really compete like that. He looks like he really is passionate about it. What she needs to do is do what she tried to do with Michigan which identify the problem is exactly and run on it with little specifics to show you know how to achieve it and keep running on exclusively that. People apparently trust candidates that just say really simple stuff and repeat it she needs to consistently talk about solutions to their problems.

I feel that the truly idiotic thing to do would be to dismiss/ignore the sentiment. It is there, it is strong, it is likely to become stronger. How do democrats plan to make those that feel/are negatively impacted vote for them?

She shouldn't do that. Some people already think it is bad trying to convince them is difficult and something they don't want to hear even if the situation is complicated. Saying I oppose any free trade that harms the middle class repeat that and expand on that, that is probably better than say that free trade helps in many aspects. All you are really doing is saying free trade is good.

Like the answer to the fracking question. Just take a stance that basically says that fracking should be done more safely and that any fracking that harms the environment should stop. It is vague enough that you can support fracking that doesn't harm the environment without saying it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sure the sentiment is there, but I'm talking about the rhetoric. It's been dumb as shit on the issue and needs to be called out as such, on both sides.

People in here haven't been dismissing that the sentiment exists. They've been bemoaning the level of discourse in the campaign about trade that only serves to exacerbate said sentiment.

No one is saying a candidate going out there and saying "Free trade is awesome" is going to fix anything, no one is even doing this anyway, so I don't even know where that's coming from.

But there is no room in a political campaign for nuance.
There seems to barely be room for policy. Let alone prescriptions that would actually help as opposed to protectionist gobbledygook.

Disastrous trade deals. Bad deals. Very bad. Poor negotiators. Smart Chinese. Make America great again. Build a wall.

I really think that if someone other than Hillary was the Democratic nominee, Utah would be blue this cycle.

Mormons hate Donald Trump almost as much as racial minorities hate Trump, it's incredible.

Tyler? Lol, if that's the same guy always hyping up his "models" in the Predictit comments section, dude is a whacko.

I'd take Larry Sabato's prognostications over Tyler's.

My thoughts on that guy's predictions from a few pages ago:

Looking through his history, his predictions are kind of all over the place. He missed Colorado by 18 points, Minnesota by 28 points, Vermont by 30 points, Massachusetts by 14 points, Kansas by 20 points, Louisiana by 15 points, and while he was one of the only people to accurately predict Michigan, he still missed the margin by about 5 points. Given that 3 of his 5 march 15th predictions are within 3 points of each other, I don't think they're at all indicative of who will win those states.

Here's the problem for Bernie.

Let's say Hillary leaves Tuesday with a 275 pledged delegate advantage.

Let's also say he wins everything from March 22 to April 9th (There are 298 delegates available.) And let's say he wins each contest by 20 points. He'll end up with 179 delegates to Hillary's 119). He'll have cut her lead down to where it is right now--215. We then have states that are advantageous to her, especially delegate rich states like Maryland (where she'd probably net 20 delegates over him, and NY. She, more than likely, would negate his comeback with wins in those two states.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You present me with a dilemma: I'm not sure whether "look at this Facebook meme about how America sucks" is better or worse in terms of post quality than "please explain the simplest things about America to me, also it sucks."

Both sides are the same.

I tried a really generous calculation where she only leaves Tuesday with ~250 delegates lead. He wins all the contests through until June 60/40 except for a few contests like NY, Maryland where I gave her small wins and Penn which I gave him only a marginal win. I think she still ends up over a hundred delegates ahead though going into California.

Tubie

I tried a really generous calculation where she only leaves Tuesday with ~250 delegates lead. He wins all the contests through until June 60/40 except for a few contests like NY, Maryland where I gave her small wins and Penn which I gave him only a marginal win. I think she still ends up over a hundred delegates ahead though going into California.

But somehow in some magical way super delegates will switch to him, even though he will never be ahead of her in pledged delegates.

It's like his healthcare and free college tuition plans, you never get a realistic roadmap for them to happen other than "revolution".

I wish more of his supporters realized the revolution died in 2010 and was buried in 2014.

kirblar

The sentiment is wrong. You have to dismiss it, because it is wrong. Protectionist trade policies benefit neither us nor our trade partners.

There is a reason you see both Sanders and Trump going full-on populist/protectionist in their rhetoric- no mainstream politician would actually go for that because we know it actively harms us to do it.

There definitely needs to be more done to address our shifting economy - the pain is real - but you don't address it by trying to subsidize something that's dying off due to factors outside of anyone's control.

East Lake

The sentiment is wrong. You have to dismiss it, because it is wrong. Protectionist trade policies benefit neither us nor our trade partners.

There is a reason you see both Sanders and Trump going full-on populist/protectionist in their rhetoric- no mainstream politician would actually go for that because we know it actively harms us to do it.

There definitely needs to be more done to address our shifting economy - the pain is real - but you don't address it by trying to subsidize something that's dying off due to factors outside of anyone's control.
Would you cut all state support to Boeing knowing that the same policy won't be applied to Airbus?

But somehow in some magical way super delegates will switch to him, even though he will never be ahead of her in pledged delegates.

It's like his healthcare and free college tuition plans, you never get a realistic roadmap for them to happen other than "revolution".

I wish more of his supporters realized the revolution died in 2010 and was buried in 2014.
Even as someone who only got invested into politics recently (shortly after Obama's election), the "revolution" rhetoric I'm seeing from some of the Bernie supporters is kind of irritating.

Asked a friend how Bernie plans to get his single-payer healthcare bill through a Republican Congress. "That's the revolution, bro" was his answer. Oh, well I guess that clears that up.

People like Obama, the Clintons, Ted Kennedy etc. spent decades trying to push healthcare reform through Congress, came out with a watered down bill that does a lot of good but tries not to step on too many toes and is nowhere near universal, and you think Bernie is going to waltz in on day 1, wave his magic wand and bend Congress to his will to totally upend the system? It's a mockery of all the hard work UHC advocates have put in for years to try and achieve some meaningful legislation, even if it's not the perfect solution. Revolution my dick. All his revolution so far has done is produced small wins in a few states and gotten him absolutely crushed in all the other ones.

"But Bernie is the better candidate because he wins blue states!" Oh, you mean the states that were already going to vote Democrat? Because those aren't the states that need convincing. Not saying Hillary is going to win states like SC, AL, MS etc. anytime soon but she's at least demonstrated that she can build pretty strong coalitions. Like even taking that argument at face value (which is incredibly stupid and untruthful anyway) that would actually build a stronger case for Hillary as it would indicate a broader appeal, but thank God all the Southern states have already voted. All of them. Now it's just blue states, baby. Blue states like Missouri and North Carolina. Liberal paragons, those are.

Man fuck these guys who are just like "Yeah the GOP will probably have the House but it's okay, there's a revolution." Paul Ryan and the rest of the GOP leadership insulated from backlash in their R+20 districts laugh at your slacktivist revolution. It's not a revolution unless you fucking win, assholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom