• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

itschris

New York Times: G.O.P. Leaders Resisted Trump’s Desire for More ‘Showbiz’ at Cleveland Convention

Donald J. Trump was told, no, it was not sensible to have Don King, the flamboyant boxing promoter, address the Republican convention. But Mr. Trump, who has repeatedly boasted of having Mr. King’s support, kept pressing the matter.

Finally, officials including Reince Priebus, the Republican national chairman, firmly explained to Mr. Trump why Mr. King should not be invited: He once stomped a man to death and was convicted of manslaughter. The party could not associate itself with someone convicted of a felony.

Mr. Trump eventually relented. Mr. King, a Cleveland native, will not take the stage.

But the exchange, relayed by three Republican strategists familiar with the conversations, highlights the difficulties that planners have had building a program for a presidential candidate who is as much an entertainer as a politician. After months of saying he wanted a convention that would feature the sort of “showbiz” that past party conclaves lacked, Mr. Trump will arrive here Monday for a more traditional gathering than he may have envisioned.

The biggest celebrities other than the nominee will be a star of “Duck Dynasty” and actors from “The Young and the Restless,” “General Hospital” and “Charles in Charge.”

It also is shaping up to be somewhat tamer than some in Mr. Trump’s orbit had wanted. The idea of giving a speaking role to Kathleen Willey, who in the 1990s claimed that Bill Clinton had fondled her in the Oval Office, was rejected — though Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s campaign chairman, said some speakers would mention what he called Mr. Clinton’s “harassment” and Hillary Clinton’s “enabling.”

Such decisions have been made with little time to spare.

As late as Friday — three days before the start of the convention — some marquee speakers had not been given guidance by the campaign about writing their remarks or asked to submit their speeches for vetting. And some state party chairmen said they had been refused when they asked to see the week’s schedule.

The most notable Hispanic speakers on the schedule as of late Sunday were Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and Antonio Sabato Jr., a former underwear model and soap opera actor.

The lackluster cast has not gone unnoticed by delegates.

“In 2012, it was just speaker after speaker of the best and brightest stars in the Republican Party,” said Tommy Valentine, a delegate from Virginia. “This is not what I’d call A-list.”

Sibylus

Banned
If Hillary becomes President, black voters overwhelmingly supporting her will be one of the largest, if not the largest deciding factor in making it happen.

It would be complete bullshit of Hillary, after how much faith the black community has put into her to turn around and sweep their issues under the rug out of fear of scaring away people who find hearing about their issues and perspectives inconvenient.

Yep. You wanna diablos about something, diablos about what hiding Brown's mom in a closet when racist white folk are around is going to look like in terms of alienation.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
When Cosplay Meets Politics:

TlJEmsg.jpg

Valkrai

If they wanted entertainment, why not get his buddy

VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON!
biDFHU0.gif

That 60 minutes interview is gold. Any chance that Trump would want to repick his VP?

Kusagari

I won't be surprised if Trump blows up on Pence at some point.

I think forcing a VP Trump doesn't like or trust on him was a fatal mistake.

Effect

I'm just worried. People I know are saying stuff like "Democrats aren't standing with cops", and they aren't even Republican. It's probably not enough to get them to vote for Trump, but it's not a good look.

No one in this country seems to understand nuance. Apparently, you can't point out systemic racial issues with the police AND not want cops to be gunned down. We have to pick sides now apparently.

You need to ask them to explain why they feel that way. What are they doing that isn't standing with the cops? The last time I checked the democratic party were the ones wanting gun control and to get the more powerful guns off the street. They were the ones that wanted to increase background checks and mental health. The ones pushing for understanding between communities and police to reduce the negativity and root causes for it. These are the things cops want as well. Ask them to explain why they think Dems aren't standing with cops and when they can't produce an answer ask again. What Dems aren't going to do is give cops a free pass when it's clear they do wrong and they like everyone else can and will do wrong.

The last thing Hillary should be doing is throwing people under the bus that actually are taking stands to reduce the violence, been victims of it, and working toward bringing people together. Those that have problems with this need to actually listen to what is being said and take a hard look at what is actually happening. Understand that you can be against the violence and killing toward the black and other communities while still supporting police and condemning violence toward them. It's better to continue to explain to people then to drop others.

Sides do not have to be picked. That's the thinking that has to get push back. Things in life aren't simple and there is no yes/no answer or stance to this problem. I refuse to believe people don't understand this or are incapable of understanding this. They choose not to.

Hillary's coalition includes African-American Women, most notably mothers

an important block of the the Democratic Party

so, a few white people will get offended, whatever. They weren't voting Democratic anyway

and more to the point, those few white people wouldn't be voting democratic in november even if every person of color in the country suddenly disappeared
having moved to the moon colony instead of dealing with any more of this shit

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You need to ask them to explain why they feel that way. What are they doing that isn't standing with the cops? The last time I checked the democratic party were the ones wanting gun control and to get the more powerful guns off the street. They were the ones that wanted to increase background checks and mental health. The ones pushing for understanding between communities and police to reduce the negativity and root causes for it. These are the things cops want as well. Ask them to explain why they think Dems aren't standing with cops and when they can't produce an answer ask again. What Dems aren't going to do is give cops a free pass when it's clear they do wrong and they like everyone else can and will do wrong.

The last thing Hillary should be doing is throwing people under the bus that actually are taking stands to reduce the violence, been victims of it, and working toward bringing people together. Those that have problems with this need to actually listen to what is being said and take a hard look at what is actually happening. Understand that you can be against the violence and killing toward the black and other communities while still supporting police and condemning violence toward them. It's better to continue to explain to people then to drop others.

Sides do not have to be picked. That's the thinking that has to get push back. Things in life aren't simple and there is no yes/no answer or stance to this problem. I refuse to believe people don't understand this or are incapable of understanding this. They choose not to.

Well, isn't that the main problem here?

We need to look no further than emailgate. You would think something like that wouldn't hurt Hillary as much as it did, but poll after poll shows that to be the case. And people respond way worse to racial issues than almost anything else.

How do people find random tweets. I tweeted about Trump and pence endorsing torture tonight and now my phone won't shut up and I'm getting right wing anti Hillary stuff.

Never twitter

They are harassing you because they don't feel afraid of any consequences. Pick a few of the harassers that look like they can be traced, find out their employment. Contact their employers about this, and wait for them to get fired.

I still won't let my mom have a Twitter.

She keeps calling him "Fence." When I correct her, she told me to fuck off, she'll call him whatever she wants.

So.....

Welp I literally just had someone post to Facebook that these cop shootings were orchestrated by Hilary Clinton to enact martial law when she didn't win. Some people are actually just lost forever.

NeoXChaos

John Noonan ‏@noonanjo 2h2 hours ago
12. Tossed it by nominating the ONE guy who consistently lost to HRC in head to head polls. That's so cement brained, it's hard to stomach.

11. Trump fans say this is due to "sour grapes!" Well yeah, this election by any standard should have been a 2ft putt. It's looking like we-

10. which are imperfect but generally sound predictors.

9. African Americans. At some point this is just an arithmetic exercise. It's why Clinton is runaway favorite on betting markets...

8. But the writing is all over the wall. Trump losing Hispanics worse than Mitt. Losing college+ whites worse than Mitt. Polling at 0! With-

3. ...his floor is 12-15 points behind. Sad!

2. Couple things wrong with that. Starting with numbers. Outside the weird outlier like Rasmussen (Trump +7), his CEILING is tied...

1. Trump fans are pitching this goofy line that he's statistically tied with Hillary, despite being outspent XX-1 (number varies)

I'm not as convinced as Noonan that this would be a slam dunk for the GOP with Kasich/Bush/Rubio (one of the establishment picks), but certainly it would be a much closer race.

My bet is Trump flips out and changes stuff at the last minute for Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday once he sees the Monday night ratings numbers (which will be awful).

I'm of two minds about the ratings. I think a lot of people want to see what a dumpster fire it will be. But, then again, the primetime schedule is shit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Welp I literally just had someone post to Facebook that these cop shootings were orchestrated by Hilary Clinton to enact martial law when she didn't win. Some people are actually just lost forever.

How would she enact martial law if she doesn't win...? I mean, she's not even Secretary of State anymore...

ampere

I'm not as convinced as Noonan that this would be a slam dunk for the GOP with Kasich/Bush/Rubio (one of the establishment picks), but certainly it would be a much closer race.

Yea the electoral college is still favoring Dems even with a 2% popular vote loss, so I don't think this would have been a GoP victory either way

A stronger presidential candidate may have been better for them downticket though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom