• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see the "wrong direction" numbers I always think some dems say it is also because of the blockage in congress.

Yup. If I was asked I would say "wrong track" because of how broken the Congress is right now. Hell, the fact that Trump is the GOP nominee is enough for me to say that this country needs to get it's shit together.

When I see the "wrong direction" numbers I always think some dems say it is also because of the blockage in congress.

Very true. There are too many variables with that number. Who knows why someone would say the country is headed in the wrong direction. There are too many people whose lives are cut short because of gun violence. So, that would lead me to say, ya, we're going in the wrong direction because we won't do common sense, basic things to stop people from being murdered. Someone else might think we're going in the wrong direction because we don't mandate non-GMO peaches for everyone.

It's such a nothing metric to build a campaign around, because its not like a policy position. Unless, of course, your only policy is to make America great again, and you never explicitly quantify what "great" means....

Fam! I think I cracked his campaign strategy. Someone Tweet Daddy Mook!

I would have to seriously consider my answer to that question if asked. On one hand, progressive policies are slowly but surely working their way into the system. On the other hand, the Republican party just nominated Donald Trump. The majority Republican Senate and especially the House are so dysfunctional that soon they may simply be incapable of governing at all. So what is happening is mostly positive but with the legislative branch in its current state, so little can be done at all beyond executive orders and judicial rulings on existing legislature. So much of the advancement recently is a result of some shittiy Republican led State Legislature passing some unconstitutional law in their state.

Grief.exe

Also, I just want to say, Trump and the GOP focusing on "right direction/wrong track" is freaking ridiculous. Seriously. Historically, the current trend isn't even that terrible.

Using the CNN/ORC numbers
56% of people in the country think things are going pretty badly or very badly. DIABLOS
EXCEPT
At the same time in 2012, That number was 57%. And it only improved to 53% by election day.

Or we can go with the CBS/NYT poll right direction/wrong track

The last time they released those numbers, it was 30/63. At the same time in 2012, it was 30/64.

It's such a pointless metric to build a campaign around, but then again it's Trump!

It's not really a useful metric anyways as people could be disagreeing with Republican leadership in the Senate/House roadblocking important bills like nominating Justices or Zika virus.

GutsOfThor

Guys... PA would already be the nail in the coffin.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html

1vsmceB.png

And PA/VA makes it a certainty

JMHx3pY.png

And PA/VA/NM/NV is a W
ycnuWJ8.png

Remember this when things get rocky. Electoral College+Demographics.

These are the battleground states this year? I ask because I'm shocked that New Mexico is on there. I was positive that we were solid blue this time around.

Very true. There are too many variables with that number. Who knows why someone would say the country is headed in the wrong direction. There are too many people whose lives are cut short because of gun violence. So, that would lead me to say, ya, we're going in the wrong direction because we won't do common sense, basic things to stop people from being murdered. Someone else might think we're going in the wrong direction because we don't mandate non-GMO peaches for everyone.

It's such a nothing metric to build a campaign around, because its not like a policy position. Unless, of course, your only policy is to make America great again, and you never explicitly quantify what "great" means....

Fam! I think I cracked his campaign strategy. Someone Tweet Daddy Mook!
Weren't the Keeping it 1600 guys talking about this last week, how the "right track" number hasn't been above water since like JFK?

Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump – Verified account ‏@realDonaldTrump

President Obama spoke last night about a world that doesn’t exist. 70% of the people think our country is going in the wrong direction. #DNC

U mad?

Honestly, so much bad shit has been going down lately, and the RNC was basically the Debbie Downer on steroids convention... Let people ENJOY a speech that injects optimism and hope into the world.

Not everyone needs to be cynical fucks like the GOP. Hell, even I got misty eyed last night and felt happy for a change and I am a walking meh bot.

A lot of those people are liberals and don't have the same reasons for believing we're on the wrong track Donald.

I think I saw stuff about 59% of non-whites and 51% of liberals believe we're on the wrong track. They're not voting for you. And in fact you may be the reason they think we're not doing well!

Anecdotal evidence:

The Bernie folks on my feed have sorted into a few camps:
1) Voting for Hillary but complaining about the tone of Hillary supporters
2) Voting for Johnson/Stein (very few and in non-swing states)
3) Not talking about politics

If that's at all indicative (and I am sure it isn't) then the Bernie folks have mostly come around.

Looking forward:

If Trump's clearly losing in late October, what crazy ploy might he try that nobody who actually has or wants to keep a political career would try? I have this notion that some completely unprovable crazy claim is going to get made that's so outrageous that it might stick.

Good to Great speeches from:

Michelle Obama
Elizabeth Warren
Corey Booker
Bernie Sanders
Tim Kaine
Joe Biden
Michael Bloomberg
Barack Obama

Probably others I have forgotten and/or missed. It's been a great conference so far, I'm 95% convinced I'm gonna vote. I don't know who else is speaking tonight, but Chelsea Clinton just needs to have a good intro and Hillary Clinton needs to take us home.

Fuchsdh

I bet the GOP is super salty that they can't just gerrymander state lines.

Honestly I'm surprised the right isn't pushing harder to get rid of the electoral college. I agree, now that we're doing direct elections for everything else it doesn't make much sense to retain it, but it seems like the move to cities and the fact that those areas tend to be much more liberal, along with racial demographics changes, mean that the electoral college is only going to work more in the Democrat's favor. I guess the argument against it is that the electoral college gives some smaller Republican states a bit more leverage and the demographics point to the Dems taking over no matter what at this point so they're afraid of a straight vote, but...

Kangi

These are the battleground states this year? I ask because I'm shocked that New Mexico is on there. I was positive that we were solid blue this time around.

You pretty much are.

270towin thinks even Minnesota is less safe than New Mexico this election. And Minnesota voted for Mondale.

Honestly I'm surprised the right isn't pushing harder to get rid of the electoral college. I agree, now that we're doing direct elections for everything else it doesn't make much sense to retain it, but it seems like the move to cities and the fact that those areas tend to be much more liberal, along with racial demographics changes, mean that the electoral college is only going to work more in the Democrat's favor. I guess the argument against it is that the electoral college gives some smaller Republican states a bit more leverage and the demographics point to the Dems taking over no matter what at this point so they're afraid of a straight vote, but...

All those low population Plains states lose in such a scenario.

Long story short, I am registered in FL, but can choose to be registered in CA, TX, FL, PA, VA, MD, or DC. I figured FL is the most important swing state and where my vote will "count" the most. Correct assumption, or make the change to another one?

Also, I just want to say, Trump and the GOP focusing on "right direction/wrong track" is freaking ridiculous. Seriously. Historically, the current trend isn't even that terrible.

Ha! Just listened to the West Wing Weekly podcast with 538 this morning that talked about the asymmetrical language in that poll question. Both CJ and Nate's justification for the poorly worded question is that that's how it's always been, therefore it's important to keep it that way for historical reference.

I wonder what percentage of people answer wrong track simply due to worry over the rise of Trump.

Long story short, I am registered in FL, but can choose to be registered in CA, TX, FL, PA, VA, MD, or DC. I figured FL is the most important swing state and where my vote will "count" the most. Correct assumption, or make the change to another one?

All the polls stuff aside, I'd say PA is the true firewall.

I also feel like PA is kinda like VA in the sense of the metro areas will clean up the rural areas of the state well. Whatever lead Trump could hope to build in that middle bit of the state, there are still a number of old style Biden Dems (like me) who wouldn't ever vote for him and then you have the urban areas where Hills will be up big time.

(Note, I'm registered in VA, but, my family is still up around Reading.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ha! Just listened to the West Wing Weekly podcast with 538 this morning that talked about the asymmetrical language in that poll question. Both CJ and Nate's justification for the poorly worded question is that that's how it's always been, therefore it's important to keep it that way for historical reference.

I wonder what percentage of people answer wrong track simply due to worry over the rise of Trump.

They could throw in a follow up to find that out, I don't see why they don't.

Anecdotal evidence:

The Bernie folks on my feed have sorted into a few camps:
1) Voting for Hillary but complaining about the tone of Hillary supporters
2) Voting for Johnson/Stein (very few and in non-swing states)
3) Not talking about politics

If that's at all indicative (and I am sure it isn't) then the Bernie folks have mostly come around.

I'm seeing the same kind of thing here. Also:
4) Ranting about politics but no longer talking about who they are voting for

When somebody has been bragging for months that they'll write in Bernie and if Trump wins it's not their fault, and then they stop saying anything about voting, they've changed their position to a more pragmatic one.

Holmes

Pretty cool that you have a big list of states you can be registered in. What's the story? As for your question, I'd either stay in Florida or register in Pennsylvania. But if the +9 poll in PA is indicative of how it'll play out in November, stay in FL.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

In the military?

FL is probably your best bet followed by PA. I don't see a scenario where VA is all that close.

Kangi

Pretty much every Trump victory map goes through Florida. Blue Florida crushes him. Stay registered for Florida.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Gary Johnson wins Utah it will probably go down as one of the most WTF moments in the history of presidential politics.

If anything were to happen it would be Johnson splitting enough of the vote for Clinton to take it. I think that's more likely.

If anything were to happen it would be Johnson splitting enough of the vote for Clinton to take it. I think that's more likely.

Johnson may actually have a higher ceiling than Hillary. Is she really going to get a % higher than the mid to low-30s in Utah? Hillary winning would be incredibly unlikely even with a 3rd party splitting the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom