• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its clearly russians. Reuters has exclusive scoop:

(Reuters) - The computer network used by Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign was hacked as part of a broad cyber attack on Democratic political organizations, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

The latest attack, which was disclosed to Reuters on Friday, follows reports of two other hacks on the Democratic National Committee and the party’s fundraising committee for candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives.

The U.S. Department of Justice national security division is investigating whether cyber hacking attacks on Democratic political organizations threatened U.S. security, sources familiar with the matter said on Friday.

The involvement of the Justice Department’s national security division is a sign that the Obama administration has concluded that the hacking was state sponsored, individuals with knowledge of the investigation said.

The Clinton campaign, based in Brooklyn, had no immediate comment and referred Reuters to a comment from earlier this week by campaign senior policy adviser Jake Sullivan criticizing Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and calling the hacking "a national security issue."

The Department of Justice had no comment.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1092HK

Also love the picture they put up

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's the Russians. It's very clearly the Russians.

There is no way it's anything more than a cursory statement this early though.

Well, I agree that it's the Russians. I'm just not sure we'd be hearing confirmation about such a thing this soon.

If this is true, what next? FBI/CIA open a case that includes the Trump campaign?

I doubt it, as of right now, from what we know, there's no reason to suspect they're directly involved.

Well, I agree that it's the Russians. I'm just not sure we'd be hearing confirmation about such a thing this soon.

I doubt it, as of right now, from what we know, there's no reason to suspect they're directly involved.
Seeing how such a shitty ship Trump runs I'm wondering why no one has leaked the Russian smoking gun to buzzfeed yet. Maybe they're scared as fucl, or maybe they dont know. But stuff like this has to raise some stink.

Boke1879

Seeing how such a shitty ship Trump runs I'm wondering why no one has leaked the Russian smoking gun to buzzfeed yet. Maybe they're scared as fucl, or maybe they dont know. But stuff like this has to raise some stink.

Yea maybe the law doesn't get involved but I wouldn't be shocked if some journalists aren't trying to get a story on this.

I doubt the media goes all in though, but it's so easy to say Trump basically invited this stuff.

Donald Trump just fucking lied about the height of his own building, because he was using a different using of measurement.

Trump World Tower! Actual constructed floors? 72. Trump? 90, because he counted the number of vertical tiles. It's literal dick measuring. Literal!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I doubt there is a smoking gun that would link him to this stuff. I think he's a total fucking asshole and a racist Cheeto, but at the same time I don't think he'd cheat to win this thing. It's weird, and I can't explain why I feel this way, but I do. Like I think he really believes he's going to win, so he'd have no reason to cheat.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Donald Trump just fucking lied about the height of his own building, because he was using a different using of measurement.

Trump World Tower! Actual constructed floors? 72. Trump? 90, because he counted the number of vertical tiles. It's literal dick measuring. Literal!

I know, it's amazing. As soon as he said it I was like "it's no more than 75 stories"

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Did he just talk about how great Japanese cars are?

I guess we just locked up Ohio and Michigan.

Jesus Fucking Christ. Did he just say the Baltic States are some country no one has ever heard of.

JESUS CHRIST. JAPAN DOESNT HAVE AN ARMY

.........Okay, Trump has no fucking idea how the Japanese military is constructed, and why it's made that way. WE fucking made it the way it is.
Did you really expect Trump to understand Japan's military restrictions? Really?

Geg

Jesus Fucking Christ. Did he just say the Baltic States are some country no one has ever heard of.

Oh my god what did he say about Japan's army?

Zackat

yeah I facepalmed really hard at this stuff.

Ophelion

I doubt there is a smoking gun that would link him to this stuff. I think he's a total fucking asshole and a racist Cheeto, but at the same time I don't think he'd cheat to win this thing. It's weird, and I can't explain why I feel this way, but I do. Like I think he really believes he's going to win, so he'd have no reason to cheat.

Nah, he'd cheat. I just think he would've fucked up and accidentally admitted to it by now if he was behind it.

Let's just hope the hack didn't expose anything too embarrassing. And for god sakes, Clintons, hire a small army of cyber security firms already!

You must be new to Trump rallies. That's his stump speech.

I was wrong. FBI is worse than square enix
andherewego.gif
RustyNails said:
Unless of course, it's the expected "We're looking into it and have nothing to confirm at the moment but we are exploring every possibility"
Nah FBI doesn't do useless Square Enix statements/pressers.
Jon Passantino‏ @passantino
FBI spokesperson now walks back previous comment, says agency has no comment on reported Clinton campaign hack.

pigeon

Banned
That's why you should vote Johnson! Only one in the race with executive experience!

...In all seriousness walking away from the table from a centrist is the only leverage the far left has in electoral politics, and I can't shake the suspicion that pledging to remove it from consideration is something like unilateral disarmament. It's not about purity, it's about getting results eight, twenty years down the road.

Sure, I agree in the general case. This is an exceptional year.

Republicans get this, which is why their far right wing has more clout in the party.

It's amazing to me that you can type this with a straight face. Have you perhaps noticed the catastrophic, literally country-threatening disaster that is Donald Trump and how the far right wing foisted him on the GOP?

Why would you want more of that?

Here's my hot take for the day: our government is somewhat corrupt and oligarchical as part of a deliberate design choice to prevent people like Donald Trump from becoming president. Just ask James Madison! His ability to become the nominee of a major party shows that we should probably try to make it even more oligarchical, because that's way too close.

But if Clinton does get elected, the Republicans are going to put the blame squarely where it belongs: on a nominee that was unacceptable to wide swathes of the electorate. One can hope that the Republicans won't make the same mistake again. And that the Democrats won't, either.

If you're far left, why would you hope for the Republicans to choose a better candidate? Is this that accelerationism idiocy again?

I would imagine state-sponsored hacking is going on all the time but it's just dealt with behind the scenes because it's primarily relegated to actual intelligence gathering as opposed to digging up gossipy emails.

That's the one thing I don't quite understand about all this which is motive. Surely the Russians didn't think they could hack and leak these materials without getting caught? Furthermore, after hacking them and seeing the content, surely they didn't think releasing it would have a meaningful impact on the election? It just seems very stupid on multiple levels.

Pennsylvania has been moving away from the Dems at a glacial pace.

Michigan and Wisconsin are stalwartly Democratic in Presidential elections. But are also moving against the national average towards the R's over the last 20 years of Presidential elections.

The nations demographic changes have been a boon to Democrats, but it will make certain states harder to win over time. If we want to have Democratic presidents over the next 20-30 years the party will need to start moving into states that have been traditionally not blue territory because we will start seeing stalwart Union states moving Republican over time. Georgia, NC, AZ seem to make the most sense (AZ in this graph is moving Red, but that has reversed trend over the last 8 years)

wasserman-pennsylvannia-1.png
This chart if you make every blue state blue and red state red (even though states like mass aren't going red) you get 316 for the Dems.

Trump sounds like he dove nose deep into a yuuuuge pile of coke ala Scarface, did a speedball and downed half a dozen Red Bulls before he waddled out on stage.

I would imagine state-sponsored hacking is going on all the time but it's just dealt with behind the scenes because it's primarily relegated to actual intelligence gathering as opposed to digging up gossipy emails.

That's the one thing I don't quite understand about all this which is motive. Surely the Russians didn't think they could hack and leak these materials without getting caught? Furthermore, after hacking them and seeing what they actually had, surely they didn't think releasing it would have a meaningful impact on the election? It just seems very stupid on multiple levels.

Russia's government is full of scrublords that are focusing on how to ban Pokemon Go right now, they're not good at this.

Trump is now reiterating his old argument that he supports the disabled by making his buildings ADA compliant as required by law.

If Trump was a billionaire, he could probably just donate a bunch of money to organizations that provide services to the disabled. That donation would be a better talking point than "I don't hate the disabled so much that I break the law to spite the disabled."

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/759140428763402241

Trump is trying to encourage small donations. "I don't know what number you call....why should I know a thing like that?"

This is the scrub that ended Rubio's career, making Rubio the most legendary scrub ever:

https://twitter.com/NickRiccardi/status/759140131429318656

Russia's government is full of scrublords that are focusing on how to ban Pokemon Go right now, they're not good at this.

I mean, I don't doubt that Russian politicians can be just as stupid as ours, I just assumed that the military and people calling the shots would be non-stupid. It's funny though because I know a Russian guy who is convinced that Pokemon Go is a front for a CIA developed intelligence gathering project.

That's the one thing I don't quite understand about all this which is motive. Surely the Russians didn't think they could hack and leak these materials without getting caught? Furthermore, after hacking them and seeing the content, surely they didn't think releasing it would have a meaningful impact on the election? It just seems very stupid on multiple levels.

It seems like Russia really thought they could pass this stuff off to wikileaks through guccifer2 and no one would be able to prove it was them. Given how intense the blowback has been, it'll be interesting to see if they just sit on this other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom