• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pennsylvania is GOP Fool's Gold. They're going to keep going to that well and getting burned.

Pursuant to the rules of the Convention, a motion has been made to ban 538 on NeoGaf. Do I hear a second?

Edit: A second has been made.

Edit: And a third.

All those in favor say AYE
All opposed say NAY

In the opinion of the chair, the AYES have it and the motion is adopted

: bangs :
23.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCB-jVLGAeo

GutsOfThor

I don't think it's wise to ban an entire election site because you don't like their methodology. Just don't create daily threads about it.

Btw this includes if it shows her way up in a week

I agree. I would support banning all poll threads until after labor day actually.

BiggNife

Banning 538 would be tremendously stupid because you shouldn't just ban something because you currently disagree with it

Having said that I agree with pigeon that I don't understand at all how Trump's likelihood keeps rising in spite of a bunch of recent polls giving hillary a comfortable lead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Has nothing to do with that at all.

Its even explain why on this very page.

People making up reasons they don't understand for why they don't like the methodology isn't convincing to me anymore than the GOP claim that all polls oversampled Democrats in 2012. Saying you don't understand why his model looks different than the other models that show more favorable results isn't in and of itself a valid criticism, particularly if you try and validate poll results based on things taken this very minute right in the middle of convention mania.

If you guy just want to read random aberrant happy fun time polls here you go:

http://www.rabaresearch.com/documents/RABA-Updated-National-Survey-July-2016-2.pdf

Clinton +15.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Banning 538 would be tremendously stupid because you shouldn't just ban something because you currently disagree with it

Having said that I agree with pigeon that I don't understand at all how Trump's likelihood keeps rising in spite of a bunch of recent polls giving hillary a comfortable lead.

I would have thought that the recent state polls showing her up in GOP states would have bouied her numbers and not his. Then there's the national polls. Is Nate putting his finger on the scale because of the primaries? Maybe it just takes longer than we thought for the new polling to have an effect on the race in his model.

Emarv

Someone bookmark these pages and let's revisit them in November when Silver (and Cohn & Wang) nail 95% of the election.

BiggNife

People making up reasons they don't understand for why they don't like the methodology isn't convincing to me anymore than the GOP claim that all polls oversampled Democrats in 2012. Saying you don't understand why his model looks different than the other models that show more favorable results isn't in and of itself a valid criticism, particularly if you try and validate poll results based on things taken this very minute right in the middle of convention mania.

http://www.rabaresearch.com/documents/RABA-Updated-National-Survey-July-2016-2.pdf

Clinton +15.
It's not so much a criticism, it's that I'm just confused and I wish Nate was more transparent about why he weighs certain polls certain ways

Like, he explained that recent polls were being weighted way more, which explains the trump bump, but then it doesn't explain why hillary isn't getting a bump despite a bunch of recent polls having her in the lead.

I'm not saying Nate is wrong and is a poopy dumb head. I generally trust his statistics, even if I think he's kind of a shitty pundit. But I just don't understand the current numbers.

Piecake

What happened to Trump focusing on California and New York?

Someone should really tweet him and ask if he is running away with his tail between his legs

Clinton +15.

Or you could just go look at what Sam Wang says. The two were basically the same until this year with Nate Silver's change in methodology.

I dont want 538 banned because disagree with 538. I just think Nate Silver is being a click hungry whore this entire election cycle. His notice me trump senpai shtick from the primaries was embarassing, now it's just sad. Tell us the methodology to weight numbers? Why is he so off compared to others?

BiggNife

I dont want 538 banned because disagree with 538. I just think Nate Silver is being a click hungry whore this entire election cycle. His notice me trump senpai shtick from the primaries was embarassing, now it's just sad. Tell us the methodology to weight numbers? Why is he so off compared to others?

But the thing is, despite his shitty ass punditry during the primaries, his stats were still spot on. They predicted trump winning and he did.

This is really the only time I've seen 538's stats go against the grain of everyone else. It's just weird.

ampere

Someone bookmark these pages and let's revisit them in November when Silver (and Cohn & Wang) nail 95% of the election.

How can "now-cast" be right for most of the year when the election is only held once?

It's just not a useful metric. I'm not discounting polls-plus

Iolo

What happened to Trump focusing on California and New York?

Someone should really tweet him and ask if he is running away with his tail between his legs

Note that their public position, including from Manafort just two days ago, is that they are still competing in those states.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Or you could just go look at what Sam Wang says. The two were basically the same until this year with Nate Silver's change in methodology.

538 and Sam were both incredibly accurate last election, did Nate give any reasons why he changed his methodology? If it's due to how his forecasting of the primary went, it makes me question his judgement considerably.

538 and Sam were both incredibly accurate last election, did Nate give any reasons why he changed his methodology? If it's due to how his forecasting of the primary went, it makes me question his judgement considerably.

Nate's model is pretty much the same as 2012's.

I'm not interested in arguing about Nate, but what I don't understand is how he adjusts and determines which polls should be weighed more or less heavily.

Take PA, for instance.

Polls Plus weights the brand new Suffolk University poll at 0.51. They're a B+ pollster. A Gravis Poll, from the end of June, is weighted at 1.01, even though they are rated lower than Suffolk. In the polls only forecast, the Suffolk poll is weighted even lower (0.44). while a poll from APRIL is weighted at 0.71.

I don't get it.

Kangi

Yeah, was there anything of actual substance prompting putting Trump in the lead, or did they "adjust" him slightly over so they could write an article about it?

Farmboy

538 is a bit weird now, but didn't Nate pretty much say to ignore the numbers for a while after the post-convention dust has settled? That said, the Now Cast is pretty much pure click bait at this point.

Trump's Khan comments are repugnant, but also stupid. This is the speech so good conservatives were praising it on Twitter, and Fox News desperately wanted to ignore it. Let Trump bring more attention to it.

VRMN

Gotcha. I think that's what's causing all of the anti-538 sentiment here

Still no idea why they made that tool

Clicks. They're owned by ESPN now, so they're probably expected to drive traffic more than they were when they were under the NY Times.

watershed

Banned
Now-Cast is their clickbait. It's how they grab headlines, stay relevant, and get people to visit their site. It feeds people's hysteria and need for "information" to consume. If they only did one prediction for the percentage and EC numbers for November then people would only visit their site once or report on their prediction, etc. Now-Cast is the opposite of that. It's not useful or predictive, it's not about November, it's about right now for the sake of attention.

daedalius

Now-Cast is their clickbait. It's how they grab headlines, stay relevant, and get people to visit their site. It feeds people's hysteria and need for "information" to consume. If they only did one prediction for the percentage and EC numbers for November then people would only visit their site once or report on their prediction, etc. Now-Cast is the opposite of that. It's not useful or predictive, it's not about November, it's about right now for the sake of attention.

Didn't Nate basically point this out on Twitter as well? He said its there if you want to "panic"!

538 is a bit weird now, but didn't Nate pretty much say to ignore the numbers for a while after the post-convention dust has settled? That said, the Now Cast is pretty much pure click bait at this point.

Trump's Khan comments are repugnant, but also stupid. This is the speech so good conservatives were praising it on Twitter, and Fox News desperately wanted to ignore it. Let Trump bring more attention to it.

That's not going to stop people from making threads about it.

So Trump says he wants 3 debates, but not competing against any NFL game, because the NFL doesn't want to compete with the debates.

Self-quoting because the NFL has denied sending a letter to Trump:
Brian Stelter ‏@brianstelter 8m8 minutes ago
Brian Stelter Retweeted Alex Weprin

Trump: "I got a letter from the NFL saying, 'This is ridiculous. Why are the debates against'" prime time games...

Brian StelterVerified account
‏@brianstelter
Top @NFL spokesman tells me: "While we'd obviously wish the debate commission could find another night, we did not send a letter to Trump."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom