• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Khizr Khan going to be on MTP tomorrow

Major kudos to Khizr. Even if I found myself in his position, I don't think I'd be able to follow through like this. The epic waves of bullshit he is surely dealing with right now...

Boke1879

Good these are people deserving of the press and an amazing story to be told. His speech was definitely one of my favorites outside of the usual suspects.

Trump could have just let this go or made up some BS PR response to this that would have made it go away. Yet he couldn't help himself.

Teggy

Cuban hasn't been involved in the campaign before today, correct? Wonder how he got involved. You'd think they would have wanted him at the convention.

Emarv

Cuban hasn't been involved in the campaign before today, correct? Wonder how he got involved. You'd think they would have wanted him at the convention.
Pretty sure he's a big libertarian. He just so happens to hate Trump because he thinks he's an idiot.

Good on him. He is extremely well spoken and gets the point across very well. Good thing he writes and prepares his own thoughts too. Has Trump finally met his slayer? I kinda doubt it. But Khizr is going to inflict massive HP damage to Trump's Shield/Armor.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Good on him. He is extremely well spoken and gets the point across very well. Good thing he writes and prepares his own thoughts too. Has Trump finally met his slayer? I kinda doubt it. But Khizr is going to inflict massive HP damage to Trump's Shield.

Trump will and has said that hillary's people are writing his speach

bf and I went to a really, really shitty dive bar to hear his (terrible) friends who are in a (terrible) band open for an even more terrible band. Their last song they dedicated to Donald Trump. I think it was "American Woman" which I'm not entirely sure was meant genuinely or ironically. He pretty much just dragged me out so we didn't get killed if I started bitching. lol

Guis this bar was terrible. I went up to get him a beer and get me a daiquiri cause it'd said they had them. They handed me one of those pouches that you put in the freezer that cost $1. And it wasn't even frozen. It wasn't even cold.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Trump won't lose his most ardent supporters and beating him does not involve that happening. All it takes is making sure he loses in his worst performing demos by large enough margins and winning undecideds. No one is going to take racist white voters away from Trump.

Just like the ads targeting suburban white women or military veterans, it isn't about winning over Trump's most reliable demos, it's about turning everyone else.
I don't disagree. But downfall implies campaign ending IMO. Like the multitude of times during the primary we heard "is this the end of Trump?"

It may very well be a turning point for undecideds or a galvanizing moment for non trump demo turnout, and thus the election. But it's not a "downfall" for him.

"It's a feature not a bug"

Since we are talking polls and forecasts, do any of you know why Wang's House chart has plummeted? Huffington Pollster still shows like a 7-8 Democratic Generic preference, but Wang has it around 2. Am I missing something?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
YFCqyJg.png

Colorado is pretty much Hillary's to lose. Dems lost the Senate seat two years ago because of an awful (read 100% negative) campaign here. I know our local conservative radio is doing it's thing, but even still, I think we're going to go Hillary.

That being said, I'd love for polls to put CO out of play so I don't have to watch all the commercials.

jtb

Banned
538 offers weirdly shallow, non-data driven political insights. I feel like the NYT Upshot does way more actual data-based political analysis and journalism than 538 does. I blame ESPN but I also think Nate's just not a particularly insightful conventional pundit -- that was never his sell. If I'm looking for someone who's going to put the current election in a historical/political context, he's in the 20-30 range of people who I'm going to check on Twitter for a hot take.

TheFatOne

YFCqyJg.png

Colorado is pretty much Hillary's to lose. Dems lost the Senate seat two years ago because of an awful (read 100% negative) campaign here. I know our local conservative radio is doing it's thing, but even still, I think we're going to go Hillary.

That being said, I'd love for polls to put CO out of play so I don't have to watch all the commercials.
Clintons camp already confirmed they are pulling the TV ads in Colorado

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Clintons camp already confirmed they are pulling the TV ads in Colorado

I will say, now that I think about it, I have yet to see a single Trump ad. I haven't even seen a Super-Pac ad for him.

I have seem some super-pac ads for the GOP Senate Candidate though. Also some ads for the incumbent. Last polls at start of July show Bennet with a 15 point lead (NBC and FOX poll). Nothing more recent to see if Glenn's RNC speech gave him a bump (the Super-Pac commercial is using parts of speech)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Paul BegalaVerified account ‏@PaulBegala 4h4 hours ago
Once survived an entire weekend at Mar-a-Lago with just one can of hairspray. #TrumpSacrifices

Apparently some Dem insiders are speculating that this Khan thing will be Trump's final downfall. Don't know if that's the case, but at the very least it will get lots of play. Ads are no doubt being story boarded.

Every time people have assumed Trump was done he came back. That being said I was really taken aback by how positively republicans reacted to the Khan speech/story, and I expect most people to be disgusted by Trump's comments. This is ultimately another example of Trump being a clear sociopath and racist. It's blatant, and has been for quite some time. As we get closer to Labor Day I'd expect more people to react negatively to Trump's filth, but I don't expect one single thing to end him. It's going to be a barrage of insanity, month after month.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Apparently some Dem insiders are speculating that this Khan thing will be Trump's final downfall. Don't know if that's the case, but at the very least it will get lots of play. Ads are no doubt being story boarded.

While not to dismiss how disgusting the comment was, it doesn't even seem like Trumps worse.

If he got away with insulting a POW, he'll probably get through this just fine with his base.

Xis

Every time people have assumed Trump was done he came back. That being said I was really taken aback by how positively republicans reacted to the Khan speech/story, and I expect most people to be disgusted by Trump's comments. This is ultimately another example of Trump being a clear sociopath and racist. It's blatant, and has been for quite some time. As we get closer to Labor Day I'd expect more people to react negatively to Trump's filth, but I don't expect one single thing to end him. It's going to be a barrage of insanity, month after month.

Trump supporters don't care how many racist remarks he makes. Talking bad about the troops, on the other hand, is something that will make some of them mad.

tmarg

Mocking the military is not a good look with Trump's supporters. I meet a lot of them at work, and the McCain comments are the one thing you can bring up that they never have a response for. Now there is another example of the same crap from him. It will start to hurt him.

thefro

What's really damaging thing about Trump's reaction to Khan's speech is it reinforces about seven negative narratives about Trump:
- He's racist
- He's sexist
- He hates Muslims
- He hates immigrants
- He doesn't respect the military (remember what he said about McCain)
- He's thin-skinned and lacks control of his impulses
- He's an asshole

I'm probably missing some, but it's a great summary of his character. Some people probably aren't going to care about one or the other but there will be something out of that group that will offend the vast majority of voters.

Kusagari

The McCain comments likely didn't stick much because of McCain being a politician.

Attacking the civilian family of a dead soldier is something else entirely.

It makes me sad that Trump might have a good shot at this if he could be even a bit more subtle. Like he could say that he's still going to van Muslims but he respected this family and he'd somehow be praised

Retro

The McCain comments likely didn't stick much because of McCain being a politician.

Attacking the civilian family of a dead soldier is something else entirely.

By that logic, I think the Khizr Khan comments won't stick at all because he's a Muslim. If they can forgive an attack on a vet because he's "not with us", they can definitely forgive an attack on "the enemy."

royalan

It won't be. If Trump could get away with accusing a federal judge of being unfit to do his job merely because of his heritage (and then successful double down and TRIPLE down on that), and still have a viable candidacy...this won't do it.

We as a country need to get used to it. We need to stop trying to explain away the fact that a large portion of our country does not mind that the Republican nominee for the presidency is willing to throw all sense of morality, respect and decency out the window if the recipient of that ire is a brown person or a woman. And heaven help you if you're a brown woman.

HylianTom

Banned
PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls
Because our social lives suck we're going to get out our post-conventions national poll in the next hour or two. Happy Saturday Night!

(PPP also says that Dems will like the results)

===

Also:

Dan Pfeiffer ‏@danpfeiffer (former Obama Senior Advisor)
Short version: Trump isn't winning the White House
(quoting the New York Times article about Trump's electoral path)

One of the actually good things about Trump not being a politician and being a complete idiot is that it seems very, very unlikely that he understands how stuff like polling actually works, nor seeming to have much of a handle on the concept of convention bumps is that he really does seem to be completely overconfident and thinks he can get away with the exact same type of things he said in the primary and be just fine. By the time someone like Manafort manages to actually reign him in and convince him otherwise, the damage will already be done.

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls

(PPP also says that Dems will like the results)

===

Also:

Dan Pfeiffer ‏@danpfeiffer (former Obama Senior Advisor)

(quoting the New York Times article about Trump's electoral path)
Oh good, I hate waiting.

Hopefully they polled the House ballot too, it's criminally ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom