• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Stupid desperation from Stein.

Nina wants to be a part of the future of the party the Sanders wing. But still in a party that will matter in 4 years.

Remember Bill helped Nina out and she was an early clinton supporter before she went to Sanders (I still believe this was pretty opportunistic)

She's going to need to win something at some point then, being a one-term state senator isn't enough. She should have stuck it out another term or two before trying to move up.

HylianTom

Banned
HA!

@ditzkoff:
Fareed Zakaria, discussing Trump on CNN: "This is the mode of a bullshit artist."

Video embedded in tweet:
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/760172214746488832

93109-oh-a-bullshit-artist-gif-Mel-B-jHOp.gif

She's going to need to win something at some point then, being a one-term state senator isn't enough. She should have stuck it out another term or two before trying to move up.

And, you know, to be fair? She didn't even "win" that. She was appointed by the Democratic Caucus to fill out the remainder of someones term. Then, in 2010, she ran unopposed.

The only competitive race she actually won was the 2005 Council seat...which she had originally lost in 2001.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And, you know, to be fair? She didn't even "win" that. She was appointed by the Democratic Caucus to fill out the remainder of someones term. Then, in 2010, she ran unopposed.

The only competitive race she actually won was the 2005 Council seat...which she had originally lost in 2001.

Part of me just doesn't get why she wants to move up so fast. There's no shame in serving in the state senate, you can do a lot of good work that helps a lot of people in there. Spend some time there serving the people and making their lives better, then look to move up. Hell, there's nothing wrong with making state senate your highest held office. A lot of people do it and manage to have careers where they do a lot more good than a random congressman.

kadotsu

Banned
He's having a rally this afternoon. This could be another very unique performance.

We are still in the doubling down phase. Soon we'll go into the teleprompter phase. It will end in an "I'm sorry you're so stupid" apology with some extra "The Media Hates Me".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We are still in the doubling down phase. Soon we'll go into the teleprompter phase. It will end in an "I'm sorry you're so stupid" apology with some extra "The Media Hates Me".

Khan doesn't seem like the kind of dude who would settle for that kind of apology.

Part of me just doesn't get why she wants to move up so fast. There's no shame in serving in the state senate, you can do a lot of good work that helps a lot of people in there. Spend some time there serving the people and making their lives better, then look to move up. Hell, there's nothing wrong with making state senate your highest held office. A lot of people do it and manage to have careers where they do a lot more good than a random congressman.

I mean, I don't want to accuse her of being ambitious, because I don't have an issue with that. However, she's not willing to put in the shit work that is required to really be a player in the party. Like, her state senate seat was a guaranteed thing for her. She wasn't going to lose it. Like...ever. No one was going to primary her, and the GOP rarely runs a candidate (and if they did LOLOLOL). She played herself, though. She took a gamble on the Bernie train. Had she not go so far off the deep end, she'd have been fine. She could have used Bernie to further her credentials, turned and embraced Hillary. That was the smart move. Hell, had she done that, she'd have been allowed to nominate Bernie at the convention. I have no idea where her career is going from here.

And saw on Twitter he's in Loudoun County, VA tomorrow. Not friendly ground here (28% of the Rep vote and lost to Rubio in the primary), but, he does have a country club a couple minutes down the road. Maybe he needs to check the water heater or something.

Warren Buffet with Clinton today. Would love to see Bill Gates come out and focus on her philanthropy as he has serious authority there.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
And saw on Twitter he's in Loudoun County, VA tomorrow. Not friendly ground here (28% of the Rep vote and lost to Rubio in the primary), but, he does have a country club a couple minutes down the road. Maybe he needs to check the water heater or something.

How else is he going to charge his campaign to use the country club?

kadotsu

Banned
Warren Buffet with Clinton today. Would love to see Bill Gates come out and focus on her philanthropy as he has serious authority there.

I would like to see less billionaires and more blue collar representatives. Otherwise it gives the other side elitist ammunition.

Drakeon

I would like to see less billionaires and more blue collar representatives. Otherwise it gives the other side elitist ammunition.
Yes, but it's really fun trolling Trump with actual Billionaires who we know are richer, we've already got Bloomberg, Cuban and Buffet.

How else is he going to charge his campaign to use the country club?

This is truth.

And it's also indicative of him (and his campaign) having no idea how to actually...you know, campaign effectively. He lacks the surrogates necessary to pull something like this off. Queen's bus tour could have easily been split into 3 different groups of people (herself, Bill and then Daddy Kaine and his wife). And that will be happening soon.

But with no ads. No campaign infrastructure and poorly targeted campaign stops is a great way to win!

Also, PPP? Let me have your babies.

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/760179525707792384

HylianTom

Banned
MSNBC keeps showing a shot of a rally stage where Trump'll be speaking, so hopefully we'll see them cover it live.
(I really think he won't be able to help himself in digging this hole even deeper for another 24 hours..)

MSNBC keeps showing a shot of a rally stage where Trump'll be speaking, so hopefully we'll see them cover it live.

They said in 30 minutes.

Also, is Cuban a tool? He seems like he's kind of a tool. But he's kind of adorable too? So, idk. I don't watch Whale Tank or whatever.

Also, Jill Stein is now against wifi cause of our brains?

GG with millennials. GG.

Preview from Donald's speech

"The military families love me, ok? I am the best veterans president folks. I get so many calls - I gotta tell ya they think Obama is a disgrace. Am I right folks? Hes been an utter disaster ~I get so many calls~ Crooked Hillary; She wants to be president, after ruining the lives of so many veterans. Total disaster! We cant afford it folks. We cant afford it. *I get so many calls* from the veterans thanking me. They say Mr Trump! you have to fix this. Its a disaster. Now this guy goes on the stage and attacks me. I say well, I made lot of sacrifices and he doesnt know 'em. I made so many sacrifices. I created thousands of jobs. Tens of thousands, and many more! I am the best veterans President believe me. The war in Iraq is a disaster. ISIS..."

From there he will veer off into terrorism stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I said blue collar, not stupid. She should do some infrastructure speeches, preferably with Biden.

LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm sure they have some events like those planned out, but remember it's the week after the convention and she's gotta hang out with Kaine for a hot minute before running off and doing her own shit.

Preview from Donald's speech

"The military families love me, ok? I am the best veterans president folks. I get so many calls - I gotta tell ya they think Obama is a disgrace. Am I right folks? Hes been an utter disaster ~I get so many calls~ Crooked Hillary; She wants to be president, after ruining the lives of so many veterans. Total disaster! We cant afford it folks. We cant afford it. *I get so many calls* from the veterans thanking me. They say Mr Trump! you have to fix this. Its a disaster. Now this guy goes on the stage and attacks me. I say well, I made lot of sacrifices and he doesnt know 'em. I made so many sacrifices. I created thousands of jobs. Tens of thousands, and many more! I am the best veterans President believe me. The war in Iraq is a disaster. ISIS..."

From there he will veer off into terrorism stuff.

You know, we're all getting way too good at Trump impersonations.

Futureman

did the mods say posting presidential election polls is banned or something? Wondering why there's no thread in OT about Hillary's bounce being bigger than Trump's after the RNC.

blackw0lf

Gallup poll results for Clinton's Speech/DNC Convention

The most anticipated event at modern political conventions is the presidential nominee's acceptance speech. Overall, 44% of Americans gave Clinton's speech a positive rating, saying it was either "excellent" or "good." That is significantly higher than the 35% who rated Trump's speech positively. In fact, as many Americans rated Trump's speech negatively, saying it was "poor" or "terrible."

Trump's speech was rated less positively than any Gallup has asked about since 1996. The positive rating of Clinton's speech is slightly below the historical average of 47%, but similar to Barack Obama's 2012 acceptance speech. Obama's 2008 speech got the highest percentage of positive ratings at 58%.

One encouraging stat: 81% of Democrats/Democratic leaners said the convention made them more likely to vote for Hillary. Only 9% less. That 81 is the highest on record. A roughly equal amount of Republicans/Republican leaners said it made them less likely. But that partly reflects the increased polarization in America.

thcsquad

They said in 30 minutes.

Also, is Cuban a tool? He seems like he's kind of a tool. But he's kind of adorable too? So, idk. I don't watch Whale Tank or whatever.

GG with millennials. GG.

I think to become a billionaire you have to be at least a bit of a tool, but he is probably average or a bit better than average as far as toolness goes.

HylianTom

Banned
They said in 30 minutes.

GG with millennials. GG.
I'm not that familiar with Cuban, to be honest. I loved the slam session he did against Trump with Colbert last week, but that's all I've really seen of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2eb6dKPps

While 36 percent of adults are more likely to support Trump coming out of the GOP’s four-day event, 51 percent are less likely to vote for the real estate mogul afterit. The minus-15 net rating is the worst mark for the Republican nominee coming out of the party’s convention since Gallup began asking the question in 1984, though the 1984 and 1992 GOP conventions were excluded.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/poll-clinton-trump-dnc-2016-226507#ixzz4G6hAoomA

This one's reaaaaal juicy.

Gallup poll results for Clinton's Speech/DNC Convention

One encouraging stat: 81% of Democrats/Democratic leaners said the convention made them more likely to vote for Hillary. Only 9% less. That 81 is the highest on record. A roughly equal amount of Republicans/Republican leaners said it made them less likely. But that partly reflects the increased polarization in America.

Also, 36% of people said Trump's speech was "poor or terrible". That number was only 20% for Hillary. Obama and Romney got 16% poor or terrible, so that 4% increase isn't too bad at all...considering how her numbers are baked in.

Bloomberg article about PA's demographics and this election:

Between metro Philadelphia and Allegheny County, Republicans start with around a 400,000 vote deficit -- more votes than they are likely to scrounge up in the rest of the state. Using 2012 demographics and turnout, and holding the metro Philadelphia and Allegheny County totals the same, Trump would have to get over 61 percent of the vote in the rest of the state, about 5 points higher than Romney got in 2012 or Bush got in 2004.

Just looking at geography, maybe that 5 percentage points seems within the realm of possibility. But a look at the demographics changes that. As of the 2015 Census estimate, Pennsylvania's population is 77.4 percent white non-Hispanic, down from 78.6 percent in 2012. Roughly 29 percent of the adult white population in the state has at least a bachelor's degree. And let's assume an electorate that will be 47 percent male. Putting those three together gets us to an approximate share of the voters who will be white males without a college degree: about 25 percent.

Why does this matter? Because the Democratic advantage in Pennsylvania in 2012 was 5.4 percentage points. And because the only demographic group with which Trump is doing significantly better than Romney did is white men with no degree. So for Trump to win Pennsylvania, given current demographic trends, he probably needs to get more votes outside of metro Philadelphia and Allegheny County than Romney did, more than he can hope to get just from white men with no degree. To squeeze that margin out of 25 percent of the electorate, he needs working-class white men in Pennsylvania to move not just a 14 points towards Republicans, as indicated in current national polling, but closer to 25 points.

This doesn't even take into account other demographic headwinds working against Republicans. Since 2012, the five core counties of Philadelphia have added 40,000 people, while the rest of the state has lost 10,000. The white, non-Hispanic population has shrunk by 135,000 while the Hispanic or non-white population has grown by 165,000.

If he is to rely on his white, working-class male coalition, as appears to be the case, the only way Trump can carry Pennsylvania is if there's a surge in white voter turnout, a vindication of the "missing white voters" theory. However, as David Wasserman shows, the decline in white voter turnout since 1992 has mostly been in noncompetitive states. There's been virtually no drop in turnout in Pennsylvania. So they’re hardly missing.

did the mods say posting presidential election polls is banned or something? Wondering why there's no thread in OT about Hillary's bounce being bigger than Trump's after the RNC.

I don't think anyone really wants to post it. Polls have only been posted on the OT when they are bad for Hillary.

It probably won't hold, but Jesus the last two weeks have been brutal for Trump. If he has many weeks as bad going forward, he'll be destroyed.

He does it to himself though! He could've just shut up about this days ago and moved on, but he just won't stop dragging it out. Every scandal with this guy gets a 3X multiplier added to duration because he can't shut up.

I'm not that familiar with Cuban, to be honest. I loved the slam session he did against Trump with Colbert last week, but that's all I've really seen of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2eb6dKPps

He also played a charity game of League of Legends against Intel's CEO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Ipr8uVb0s

gcubed

They said in 30 minutes.

GG with millennials. GG.

i mean... he's from Pittsburgh so....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys should all have to suffer through the chicken little threads from early last week all over again. I had to moderate that crap.

Edit: whale tank lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom