• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Peter Thiel, unlike Donald Trump, is actually a brilliant and successful businessman. I heard a great NPR interview with him. Respect.

I can't respect the man. He's boosting a party whose base would love to repeatedly send 150 volts through his cranium to "cure" his sickness (check the party platform). No amount of business savvy excuses this. It's despicable.

HylianTom

Banned
Amen.

Log Cabin Republicans are quite annoying.

"Annoying" is on the kinder end of the scale of words I'd use for Log Cabiners. I don't hold Republicans in high regard in general for this kind of blasé brushing-over of human rights, but LGBT folks should damn well know better.

"Annoying" is on the kinder end of the scale of words I'd use for Log Cabiners. I don't hold Republicans in high regard in general for this kind of blasé brushing-over of human rights, but LGBT folks should damn well know better.

I didn't want to get banned. If I spoke my mind.....lawd help us all.

Iolo

What are you talking about, it's a totally normal song in 3/4 time with over an octave of range.

Average range of a pop song is 7-10 notes, past that it is hard for untrained voices to sing clearly even if your range is higher. SSB is 12 notes (1.5 octave).

HylianTom

Banned
I didn't want to get banned. If I spoke my mind.....lawd help us all.

Preach.

--

And this MSNBC reporter is on the floor of the convention, putting Nikki Haley and Mark Sanford on the spot regarding whether they'd vote for Trump. It took them a while to admit that they were voting for him. Awk-waaaard.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Please don't fuck this up in November.

Sincerely,
The rest of the world.

Also, just saw Anderson Cooper on the TV. He must be seething inside listening to some of this shit.

Makai

I can't respect the man. He's boosting a party whose base would love to repeatedly send 150 volts through his cranium to "cure" his sickness (check the party platform). No amount of business savvy excuses this. It's despicable.
That's not the only important issue to him.

HylianTom

Banned
That's not the only important issue to him.

And there are other means to advocate for those important issues without selling-out the humanity of oneself and others.

I might prefer {Republican Platform item(s)}, but if I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror, there's a bare. minimum. theshold. that a party should be able to pass before earning my vote. That there be a minimum decency requirement shouldn't be a difficult concept.

I can empathize. I feel the same way about black folks from Ben Carson to Stacey Dash. I don't expect respect from Republicans, but to have people like Carson and Dash give cover to racists willingly drives me insane.

Unlike Log Cabin Republicans, people like Carson and Dash are giving cover to racists to sell a bunch of books or to revive their D-List careers, which is even worse than just being really hopeful that you can change the GOP's mind because you like low taxes and intervening in Middle Eastern and Central Asian countries to promote American democracy. One is craven, and the other is just idealism (of a shitty set of ideals, certainly, but still).

EDIT: As far as those finalists, woof. Take whoever does the least harm in terms of losing Senators. So not Kaine, I guess.

I can empathize. I feel the same way about black folks from Ben Carson to Stacey Dash. I don't expect respect from Republicans, but to have people like Carson and Dash give cover to racists willingly drives me insane.

Unlike Log Cabin Republicans, people like Carson and Dash are giving cover to racists to sell a bunch of books or to revive their D-List careers, which is even worse than just being really hopeful that you can change the GOP's mind because you like low taxes and intervening in Middle Eastern and Central Asian countries to promote American democracy. One is craven, and the other is just idealism (of a shitty set of ideals, certainly, but still).

The big difference to me is that the GOP platform is just openly hostile towards LGBT people whereas the GOP platform is only secretly racist. Like you can't even defend the GOP platform on gay rights.

Oh and I guess Vilsack, but blah she's going to be safe.

Effect

The thing about his stance on bank deregulation most likely means Kaine is out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tim-kaine-clinton-vp_us_578fc8e3e4b0bdddc4d2c86c

So it's likely the other two. I wish it was Warren but she might be more effective just going after Trump non-stop and it won't somehow reflect negatively on Hillary and the VP. I think the VP pick might mean less as long as it does no damage due to how many surrogates will be out there once the convention is over. It will be high quality at there no matter what.

itschris

Politico: Trump blesses major super PAC effort

Donald Trump spent the primary bashing major donors and insisting he didn’t want super PAC help, but his campaign on Wednesday signaled that it has dropped its opposition to both and is now openly encouraging donors to give to a super PAC that has raised $5 million in recent days.

At a meeting of about 30 major donors organized by a pro-Trump super PAC called Rebuilding America Now PAC, operatives displayed a slide that offered an overt endorsement from Trump’s vice-presidential nominee Indiana Gov. Mike Pence.

"Supporting Rebuild America Now is one of the best ways to stop Hillary Clinton and help elect Donald Trump our next president!" read the quote attributed to Pence on the slide, which was obtained by POLITICO. Pence’s director of operations Marty Obst also attended the meeting and, according to two attendees, he said the campaign was considering attending future fundraising events for the super PAC.

Reinforcing the message that the Trump campaign wants donors to give to Rebuilding America, Trump’s top strategist Paul Manafort called into the meeting to discuss the campaign and make clear that the PAC was the only one he is addressing, according to three attendees.

Piecake

Kaine, Vilsack and Stavridis.

She ended the interview, live, pleading with Rachel Maddow to not state that she spoiled the VP finalists. It was extremely awkward

The last two make the most sense to me. Vilsack could solidify a Clinton win in Iowa and help to possibly garner some rural voters. Stavridis helps with her somehow being weaker than Trump on Terrorism and security.

My bet is on Vilsak

Boke1879

Honestly whoever Clinton feels she can work with for 4-8 years should be how she makes that choice. Honestly whoever she picks isn't going to move the needle one way or the other regardless.

itschris

Have we gotten a confirmation that the VP announcement is indeed Saturday?

I hope we get a decent leak tomorrow..

It seems like it's still up in the air:

Hillary Clinton is spending two days at home in New York, finalizing her decision for a running mate, before formally introducing her Democratic ticket during a weekend campaign swing in Florida, according to several Democrats familiar with the search.

Clinton is planning to announce her decision in a message to supporters, a campaign official told CNN, and make her first appearance with her vice presidential candidate in Tampa on Friday or Miami on Saturday.

Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack have emerged as leading contenders after a rigorous vetting process, Democrats close to the selection believe, but they are not the only two prospects still in contention.

Valhelm

contribute something
What does Stavridis bring to the table? Centrist white men who don't like Trump?

I feel like choosing a military figure wouldn't help her hawkish image, and I don't see why she wants to focus on foreign policy.

fauxtrot

Banned
Would've been nice if Hillary could have found someone that could help her with her image amongst young people / "progressives"... but I guess part of the problem with that is people under the age of 30 only really know Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. The other progressive options that might be able to excite that same group over time either wouldn't survive the vetting process or don't mesh well with Hillary in terms of them working together throughout their term(s).

I'm still holding out hope for at least someone like Hickenlooper, but anyone not Kaine on that short-list will be fine, I guess.

Grief.exe

Obamacare *boos*
Liberals *boos*
Donald Trump *cheers*
Lower taxes *cheers*
Common Core *boos*

Not only was this presenter incredibly unorganized in her overall message, jumping from random topic to random topic, but I don't think she ever made an actual argument. She just hit standard right-wing talking points seemingly at random, then walked away.

e2MEtSV.png

Diablos

The thing about his stance on bank deregulation most likely means Kaine is out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tim-kaine-clinton-vp_us_578fc8e3e4b0bdddc4d2c86c

So it's likely the other two. I wish it was Warren but she might be more effective just going after Trump non-stop and it won't somehow reflect negatively on Hillary and the VP. I think the VP pick might mean less as long as it does no damage due to how many surrogates will be out there once the convention is over. It will be high quality at there no matter what.
Honestly this is a big fuck you to Democratic voters. I also think it could turn off lots of Bernie people who had a hard enough time coming around and supporting Hillary. It's just dumb. I think Vilsak is the easy choice. No one knows who the hell Stavridis is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom