• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on, it's funny that the NT has a passage ranting about hand washing with current medical knowledge.

Every third sentence from Jesus being wild hyperbole and therefore being like a forum troll in a way is also funny reading the Bible over again, lol.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
So Jesus (or Matthew, writing fanfiction about Jesus) was the libertarian who gets mad at raw milk not being sold in stores instead of actually harmful regulations? Jesus makes no attempt to defend "your disciples don't wash their hands" with "they do, just with a different way."

But should we expect Jesus to have defended His disciples in that way? Only if your reading is right, and the Pharisees were concerned with sanitation rather than ceremony. But that seems to read a 21st-century conception of handwashing into the 1st-century text.

On the other hand, Jesus' response provides useful context in understanding the Pharisees' challenge, and it addresses spiritual purity, not health. The Pharisees' very question suggests the same, because they frame it in terms of "the traditions of the elders," not "health," as you misparaphrase it. (Note that the parallel passage in Mark may further support this reading, since Mark explains, as the ESV has it, that "the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands properly, holding to the tradition of the elders." The Greek there, interpreted literally, reads, "unless they wash the hands with a fist," which the expert editors of the ESV suggest "probably indicat[es] a kind of ceremonial washing." The NIV translates it as such explicitly: "unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing.")

One way Jesus (since he's God and all-knowing) could have defended his disciples is by indicating the proper way to wash hands and saying that their way was useless.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
One way Jesus (since he's God and all-knowing) could have defended his disciples is by indicating the proper way to wash hands and saying that their way was useless.

Okay. Also, as God, He could have been like, "You know what? Fuck this shit. I'm building a new universe without douchers like you all," and then done just that. But, instead of avoiding their question and doing either of those things, He directly responded to their challenge and taught those gathered an important spiritual lesson. I dunno. That seems like an okay response, too.

pigeon

Banned

This would actually have been a pretty ineffective response in the situation.

"These guys aren't following the ritual handwashing ceremony."
"Well, actually, your ritual handwashing ceremony is stupid and incorrect."
"Okay stone him."

Maybe you forgot that the Pharisees are literally following Jesus around trying to prove he's a false prophet and get rid of him and that's why they keep having these arguments. The problem here isn't spiritual or hygienic, it's political.

CCS

Banned
The new poster for The Birth of a Nation is incredible. I wonder what sort of coverage that will get coming out about a month before the election.

We have to wait until January to see it :(

The Jacobin has REALLY interesting ideas on rape.

Gawker comments refers to Alton Sterling as a "pedophile." Why? Consensual relationship w/ 14 yr old when he was 19/20. Carceral state libs.

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/751070385194631168

(Clearly I disagree with Sterling's murder, but you don't need to start defending rape to say "executing black men is bad")

This would actually have been a pretty ineffective response in the situation.

"These guys aren't following the ritual handwashing ceremony."
"Well, actually, your ritual handwashing ceremony is stupid and incorrect."
"Okay stone him."

Maybe you forgot that the Pharisees are literally following Jesus around trying to prove he's a false prophet and get rid of him and that's why they keep having these arguments. The problem here isn't spiritual or hygienic, it's political.

I'm trolling that the Bible and Jesus reveal no new scientific knowledge.

I just find anti hand washing rant to be funny in retrospect.

Clinton team should start leaking the pick Wednesday night to kill the buzz off Trump's speech on Thursday.

Jeff Flake taking a hard stance. Wow:

Cnhlms0WcAASKxS.jpg:large

Fox318

Clinton team should start leaking the pick Wednesday night to kill the buzz off Trump's speech on Thursday.

Jeff Flake taking a hard stance. Wow:

Cnhlms0WcAASKxS.jpg:large
It's going to come to a head this election

Either the hardliners win or they have to move more to the center.

Diablos

This is pretty much why I think Kaine is such a bad potential pick. You don't want your running mate to reinforce your weaknesses.

I agree. Kaine is not actually a safe pick. A Warren pick frames the election in terms of competent women, and that the GOP is the party that irrationally hates competent women.

Diablos

I think Warren and Kaine are bad choices for different reasons.

Warren is awesome but I'm not sure if it makes for a good dynamic between the two of them. Also not sure if the country is ready for two women on a ticket.

Kaine is kinda phony and may do nothing to help Hillary's trustworthiness problems, in fact he may make it worse.

Pick someone else. Becerra please.

gcubed

Woof, that clip of the 60 minutes interview. Lol!

It's going to be such a bump. The awkwardness of them together, combined with Pences inability to come up with an original thought on his own during questioning is going to be glorious.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Leslie: How do you feel about Trump being so negative

Pence: Well..he's not

Leslie: He is.

Pence: OK he is.

Leslie: Yeah he's negative

Trump: Let me tell you Hillary Clinton fucking sucks.

Leslie: That's negative.

Trump: It's true, she fucking sucks.

Leslie: ...

Pence: *awkward smile*

Tarkus

Come on, it's funny that the NT has a passage ranting about hand washing with current medical knowledge.

Every third sentence from Jesus being wild hyperbole and therefore being like a forum troll in a way is also funny reading the Bible over again, lol.
But you only read from the Book of Mormon, don't you?

We need a straight shooter, no nonsense VP to balance out crooked Hillary. One with proven Liberal credentials to win Bernie-it's over. What about Frank?

Crooked Hillary + Straight Barney

I like it.

1. He's really old.
2. He currently works for Wall Street.
3. Calling him straight is kinda funny.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
I hope that Crooked Hillary picks Goofy Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas, as her V.P. Then we can litigate her fraud!

"sometimes referred to" LOL

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 28m28 minutes ago
If Goofy Elizabeth Warren, a very weak Senator, didn't lie about her heritage (being Native American) she would be nothing today. Pick her H

I want Clinton to pick Warren just for the Trump twitter trolling. He can't help himself.

CCS

Banned
Warren for her ability to make Trump lose it is not a bad call. Getting under his skin and making him fly off the handle is the way to do serious damage

I am enjoying PoliGAF's bible studies. Adam can be our weekly bible instructor (since he has experience with that).

I think Warren and Kaine are bad choices for different reasons.

Warren is awesome but I'm not sure if it makes for a good dynamic between the two of them. Also not sure if the country is ready for two women on a ticket.

Kaine is kinda phony and may do nothing to help Hillary's trustworthiness problems, in fact he may make it worse.

Pick someone else. Becerra please.
Doesn't he have the pardon issue? Wouldn't there be similar shortcomings like with Kaine and his gift issues?

I can lead us in weekly prayer meeting.
I used to sing in a gospel quartet....

Also, I like that new poll. And OMG, that 60 Minutes thing was amazing. Ah-maze-ing.

I've literally never opened a bible in my life. Need halp when people start talking about it.

I have entire books of the bible memorized. (James specifically). Entire chapters of books memorized. I won a competition for my recitation of Isaiah 53.

Diablos

I am enjoying PoliGAF's bible studies. Adam can be our weekly bible instructor (since he has experience with that).

Doesn't he have the pardon issue? Wouldn't there be similar shortcomings like with Kaine and his gift issues?
I believe so.

Kaine is a mistake. Kaine is a big fat mess.

Also ABC/Washington Post

Queen 47
Orange Julius 43

Also, this is a really stupid question to ask GOP/DEM. Ask it to Independents, I guess.

Right it could just mean that democrats think Trump is awful choice for a candidate because he essentially isn't a real choice.

What's this like conpared to last poll?

This poll has been all over the place.

It was 51/39 in June.
In May. Trump was leading by 2 points 44/46.

Also, a lot of their questions are totally useless because they're among all people not just registered voters.

Among all people, she has a 10 point lead. A lot of the "Who would do better with X" are among all contacts, not filtered by RV/LV voter screens.

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
our new NBC/WSJ poll suggests Trump on path to lose more college-educated whites from Romney 2012 than number of non-college whites he adds

This is big.

John HarwoodVerified account
‏@JohnJHarwood
new NBC/WSJ poll: Clinton leads Trump by 62 percentage points among Latinos. Obama's 2012 margin over Romney among Latinos was 44%

There are some interesting numbers in that ABC Poll, though.

56% of people think Trump is biased against women and minorities.
55% of people want someone with political experience.
83% of people want a President who puts race relations as a major focus.

Who can best handle: (Hillary's number first)

Economy----45/45
Terrorism-----47/43
Immigration----57/36
International Crisis---59/31
Race relations---58/26(!)
Looking out for the middle class-----50/37
Taxes-----46/43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom