• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian Post: Donald Trump Is a Scam. Evangelical Voters Should Back Away

Editors' Note: The Christian Post has not taken a position on a political candidate before today. We are making an exception because Trump is exceptionally bad and claims to speak for and represent the interests of evangelicals.

They condemn Trump across the board and make some strong statements against the candidate from a Christian perspective, yet Trump is currently receiving a lot of support from evangelicals. Hmm.

itschris

It;s from February.

Oops! People were tweeting it just now for some reason.

Something new:

Politico: Trump taunts GOP in private donor meeting

Just hours before accepting his party’s nomination, Donald Trump taunted his party on Thursday, ripping into his rivals and joking that, had he run as an independent, he could have defeated the GOP.

During a luncheon with 300 top donors, just blocks from the convention center here, Trump said the Republican National Committee wanted him to sign the loyalty pledge last year because they were afraid he’d run as an independent and that they knew he would beat them. Four people in the room relayed his remarks— though two thought he was joking.

“He said Reince Priebus knew if he ran as an independent, he would have beaten the Republicans,” said one donor in attendance.

Trump laid into Ted Cruz saying that, in the words of one attendee, his “endorsement doesn’t mean anything.” He added that the Texas senator was run out of the room.

He also continued his assault on Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who has refused to endorse Trump or appear at this week’s convention, which is being held in Kasich's home state. Trump and Kasich forces have spent much of the week attacking one another.

“If I got beaten as bad as Kasich got beaten by me I wouldn’t support him either,” two people quoted Trump as saying.

He went on to say that he didn’t care about Kasich’s endorsement, arguing that the governor is irrelevant and not a factor in the race.

#Unity

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
It's Official: Hillary Clinton Is Running Against Vladimir Putin

Well worth a read, from the same reporter that wrote the in-depth article of Obama's foreign policy.
This has been on my mind all morning. I'm probably drawing too many conclusions off of not enough evidence, but Trump's statements on NATO, combined with hiring Manafort and with Russian hackers stealing the DNC's opposition research on Trump all makes it seem like there's "something going on".

itschris

Dan Merica
‏@danmericaCNN

Speaking at the Dem Convention: Becerra, Booker, Sherrod Brown, Franken, Garcetti, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Hickenlooper, Warren and Reid.

Important name also speaking: Kaine. Remember: WH has barred cabinet secretaries (Castro, Vilsack, Perez) from speaking.

EDIT: More from Dan Merica:

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker met with Hillary Clinton during her day of VP meetings at her DC home on Friday, per a source with knowledge.

HRC's Friday meetings: Booker, Warren, Hickenlooper, Castro & Perez.

Slacker

They condemn Trump across the board and make some strong statements against the candidate from a Christian perspective, yet Trump is currently receiving a lot of support from evangelicals. Hmm.

It usually comes down to one thing: Abortion. I live in one of the most conservative counties in the country, and when I ask people why they're voting for whatever Republican, that's almost always the answer. "I could never vote for someone who is pro-choice."

This election there's a second bonus reason: They've been taught for years to despise Hillary, and it has sunk in. If I asked 100 people around here why they're voting Trump, I bet maybe 20 would be doing so because they like him or his ideas. The rest would be voting against Hillary.

This has been on my mind all morning. I'm probably drawing too many conclusions off of not enough evidence, but Trump's statements on NATO, combined with hiring Manafort and with Russian hackers stealing the DNC's opposition research on Trump all makes it seem like there's "something going on".

oh my god can you imagine if an interviewer or debate moderator laid all that out and then just flat-out asked Trump if he was in bed with Putin

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dan Merica
‏@danmericaCNN

Speaking at the Dem Convention: Becerra, Booker, Sherrod Brown, Franken, Garcetti, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Hickenlooper, Warren and Reid.

Important name also speaking: Kaine. Remember: WH has barred cabinet secretaries (Castro, Vilsack, Perez) from speaking.

EDIT: More from Dan Merica:

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker met with Hillary Clinton during her day of VP meetings at her DC home on Friday, per a source with knowledge.

THE WARREN TRAIN CHUGS ON!

Don't let me down, Hillary!

YEUIBXe.gif

Bowdz

Booker would be fantastic. Keeps the ticket diverse, young and could be groomed for 2024, aesthetic as fuck, obviously lifts, will beat Pence at the VP arm wrestling match, appeals to dem vegans, would give Chris Christie something to live for.

I mean...it's going to be Kaine because of course it is....but still. It is interesting.

I actually would revise my choice to be

Booker>Warrn>Perez>Sackboy>Candy Cane

But what do I know.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Warren > booker > Perez > poo > pee > poopee > peepoo > sack > forget others
Thanks now I have Chapelle's R Kelly ignition parody in my head

I mean...it's going to be Kaine because of course it is....but still. It is interesting.

I actually would revise my choice to be

Booker>Warrn>Perez>Sackboy>Candy Cane

But what do I know.
Mehhhhhh to Booker

Did you mean candy corn?! Betraying your inner old person.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Booker would be fantastic. Keeps the ticket diverse, young and could be groomed for 2024, aesthetic as fuck, obviously lifts, will beat Pence at the VP arm wrestling match, appeals to dem vegans, would give Chris Christie something to live for.

Christie could appoint himself to the Senate seat then lose it in shame when the special election happens!

Kangi

I'm (Frank) > Franken > Booker > Warren > Perez > who cares >>>> Castro.

First one isn't about to be the VP, and the second is a long shot who I still want regardless.

Here's what would happen if Booker is chosen (he is up for reelection in 2018):

(2) If the vacancy occurs before a specific number of days prior to the regular primary (HI: 60 days; MN: 6 weeks; NJ: 30 days; NY: 59 days; VA: 12 days), the election is held the following November. If it occurs within the period of days before the regular primary, the election is held at the second November election after the vacancy occurs.

From 2013 post-Lautenberg:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...w-long-christies-senate-appointee-will-serve/

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) died this morning, giving Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) the opportunity to appoint a temporary replacement. Thanks to a drafting error in an elections bill passed in 2011, however, the length of that temporary senator’s time in office is entirely uncertain. Two different provisions of New Jersey law, enacted at the same time in the same bill, say two different things about how a U.S. Senate vacancy shall be filled in New Jersey:

The first of these two provisions governs “vacancies in the United States senate.” It provides that:

If a vacancy shall happen in the representation of this State in the United States senate, it shall be filled at the general election next succeeding the happening thereof, unless such vacancy shall happen within 70 days next preceding such election, in which case it shall be filled by election at the second succeeding general election, unless the governor of this State shall deem it advisable to call a special election therefor, which he is authorized hereby to do.

The governor of this State may make a temporary appointment of a senator of the United States from this State whenever a vacancy shall occur by reason of any cause other than the expiration of the term; and such appointee shall serve as such senator until a special election or general election shall have been held pursuant to law and the Board of State Canvassers can deliver to his successor a certificate of election.

The next general election in New Jersey will take place on November 5, 2013, when Christie himself will stand for reelection. Because today is more than 70 days from November 5, this means that Christie’s appointee to the United States Senate shall serve until he is replaced in an election to be held the same time as Christie’s own election.

But, wait! There’s another, entirely separate provision of New Jersey law that says something different. That provision governs “Congressional vacancies” and it provides that:

If the vacancy happens in the representation of this State in the United States Senate the election shall take place at the general election next succeeding the happening thereof, unless the vacancy shall happen within 70 days next preceding the primary election prior to the general election, in which case it shall be filled by election at the second succeeding election, unless the Governor shall deem it advisable to call a special election therefor, which he is authorized hereby to do.

Rather than count from 70 days before the next general election to determine when the senate election shall be held, this provision counts from 70 days before the next primary election. But the next primary election in New Jersey will take place tomorrow. If this second provision of law controls, that means Christie’s appointee will serve an extra year until they can be replaced by an election taking place in November 2014.

One possible way out from this conundrum is that both provisions empower Christie to call a special election in order to fill the senate vacancy. Unless he does so, however, the question of how long Christie’s appointment shall serve is entirely unclear under New Jersey law.

Booker could hypothetically retire the moment he gets the nomination, and since we still have 109 (fuck) days until the election, a special election could be held this November.

Teggy

To get a hug and be sent on their way.

I thought everyone was down on Booker because he's Wall Street?

That 1 minute ad with the kids watching tv is soooo much better than the 30 second version. The bit with Hillary at the end really makes it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I swear to god Hillary. If after teasing Warren for so long and teasing a younger exciting guy like Booker you go with Kainesack ffs

I get picking them, totally but don't get our hopes up

would u say booker was your choice from the heart or brain?

Hmmm

I mean, there are a few things. One, ya, he's good to look at. (Sue me lol).

I just listened to his speech in Cleveland with DWS and Sen Frankin. He was a good attack dog, but he came off really, really well too. I think he'd add some energy. He's young. Would be a good fit to run in 2024. He's from a Safe Dem state so we'd get the seat back relatively easily in the special election. (I'm not sure if we can guarantee a hold in Virginia). He's not a boring white guy. I don't think he has some of the baggage/risk Warren has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom