• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delaware and Iowa give a shit about the environment? Shocking. I thought it would be a coalition of all blue states.
Deleware is a blue state and Iowa used to be lean D. Iowa also is the second biggest generator of wind energy and by far the largest per capita.

Pixieking

Banned
Unbelievable - My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History, by Katy Tur

About the Book

The NBC journalist who covered—and took fire from—Donald Trump on the campaign trail offers an inside look at the most shocking presidential election in American history.

Katy Tur was one of a select cadre of NBC reporters on the road during the grueling 2016 presidential campaign, reporting from small towns and venues across America for more than sixteen months. At the beginning of the primaries, Tur was assigned the Trump campaign—a campaign widely considered a long shot by politicos and the media. But primary after primary, the novice outsider trumped his rivals, and won the hearts and votes of many Republicans. His appeal to working class whites, the GOP’s traditional middle and upper middle class base, and conservative evangelicals took him all the way to the White House, astonishing the nation and the world.

Unbelievable is Tur’s inside account of being embedded with the campaign, revealing what it was like to report on the most combative and volatile major party candidate ever to run for office and win. At first, Trump tried to charm Tur into providing fawning coverage. When that didn’t work, he stooped to berating and shaming her, stoking the rage of his legion of supporters—many who threatened Tur and other penned-in reporters at his events. The vitriol reached such a fevered pitch, that following one rally during which Trump launched a personal attack against her, the Secret Service had to accompany Tur to her car. But Katy was not alone. Millions of Americans watched in disbelief as Trump ordered Tur to "be quiet" during one of his many press conferences, called her "disgraceful," "third-rate," "not nice," and "Little Katy." In response, thousands of people across the country rushed to her defense, tweeting #imwithtur.

Intriguing, disturbing, and powerful, Unbelievable is an unprecedented eyewitness account of the 2016 election from an intelligent, dedicated journalist at the center of it—a thoughtful historical record that offers eye-opening insights and details on our political process, the media, and the mercurial forty-fifth president of the United States.

Should be pretty interesting, though I'll admit I'm waiting for the Hillary-embedded journo's book more than the Trump ones.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
NPR had a solid piece yesterday about how Trump's budget would slash funding for cleaning up and maintaining the Great Lakes, and how the neighboring states, many of which are Republican controlled, are balking.

Slash $300m in funding for something that helps generate $80b in revenue.

SCHAEFER: Ohio Republican Senator Rob Portman is also concerned not only about public health but about the economic benefits of working to restore the ecology of the Great Lakes. He says Great Lakes funding generates about $80 billion a year in benefits to health, tourism, fishing and recreation.

ROB PORTMAN: This program works. It's a good public-private partnership. And because the Great Lakes are so important to us in Ohio, this partnership has been really helpful to protect the lake, protect our environment, but also protect our economy.

SCHAEFER: As these states' politicians think about how to potentially replace the $300 million in annual federal funding, they wonder why this program is being targeted. Dave Cohen, a fellow with the Bliss Institute for Applied Politics, thinks it's simply a matter of priorities.

DAVID COHEN: The Trump administration has a lot of defense increases to pay for. Governing is difficult. You have to make choices. You have to make tradeoffs. And let's face it, environmental issues are about near the bottom of the priority list for this administration.

SCHAEFER: But for Great Lakes governors like Scott Walker of Wisconsin and Rick Snyder of Michigan, and for U.S. and Canadian members of the Great Lakes Commission, the priorities are clear. They view the Great Lakes as a bipartisan issue vital to their environment, economy and the health of the 35 million people who rely on them for their drinking water every day. For NPR News, I'm Karen Schaefer.

NPR had a solid piece yesterday about how Trump's budget would slash funding for cleaning up and maintaining the Great Lakes, and how the neighboring states, many of which are Republican controlled, are balking.

Slash $300m in funding for something that helps generate $80b in revenue.

It's almost like the EPA is a good idea, too.

Fucking decades of demonizing these things as bad, job-killing bureaucracy, and now the GOP gets what it wants and they complain.

Dicks, every one of them.

Grym

House intel panel chief Nunes says he will not divulge his sources

U.S. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes said on Tuesday he will not divulge - even to other members of his panel - who gave him intelligence reports that indicated President Donald Trump and his associates may have been ensnared in incidental intelligence collection.

Asked by a Fox News reporter whether he would inform the other committee members about who gave him the reports he viewed on the White House grounds last week, Nunes said: "We will never reveal those sources and methods."

Take that, Great Lakes! Who needs the world's largest source of liquid fresh water, anyway? Just 20% of the entire planet's supply. No biggie. The private sector will step in, I'm sure. We've got a wall to build! #MAGA
lol

Jeels

Get fucked, Rustbelt.

Yup, they need to feel the pain so they stop voting for Republican legislators, congressmen, and now are responsible for our shit president.

Unfortunately, in these situations its usually minorites and the poor that feel the pain - see Flynt, Michigan.

pigeon

Banned
I mean, for the record, I'm pro-protecting the Great Lakes, because ultimately they are good.

But the people who supported Trump should probably have, like, thought more about this, also the white supremacy.

Take that, Great Lakes! Who needs the world's largest source of liquid fresh water, anyway? Just 20% of the entire planet's supply. No biggie. The private sector will step in, I'm sure. We've got a wall to build! #MAGA
lol

Pipeline through the plains' aquifer too! Forward thinking!

Here we go!!!

@Number10gov
The PM has signed the letter which will trigger Article 50 tomorrow, starting negotiations for the UK to leave the EU.

C8COMcSXgAMJ2aU.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think this is probably fine. Perez is just preparing to restaff the whole DNC. The article says he'll interview the current staffers to see who to keep.

Yeah I didn't expect it was some kind of like, purge or anything dramatic, just seems a bit sweeping to do it all at once like that

From Ryan Lizza at the New Yorker: HOW THE WHITE HOUSE AND REPUBLICANS BLEW UP THE HOUSE RUSSIA INVESTIGATION

New Yorker said:
The evidence is now clear that the White House and Devin Nunes, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, have worked together to halt what was previously billed as a sweeping investigation of Russian interference in last year’s election.

The New Yorker said:
Last Monday morning, shortly before the start of the hearing, a senior White House official told me, “You’ll see the setting of the predicate. That’s the thing to watch today.” He suggested that I read a piece in The Hill about incidental collection. The article posited that if “Trump or his advisors were speaking directly to foreign individuals who were the target of U.S. spying during the election campaign, and the intelligence agencies recorded Trump by accident, it’s plausible that those communications would have been collected and shared amongst intelligence agencies.”

The White House clearly indicated to me that it knew Nunes would highlight this issue. “It’s backdoor surveillance where it’s not just incidental, it’s systematic,” the White House official said. “Watch Nunes today.”

Sure enough, at last Monday’s hearing, Nunes asked in his opening statement, “Were the communications of officials or associates of any campaign subject to any kind of improper surveillance?” He continued, “The Intelligence Community has extremely strict procedures for handling information pertaining to any U.S. citizens who are subject even to incidental surveillance, and this committee wants to insure all surveillance activities have followed all relevant laws, rules, and regulations.”

The best thing we have going for us right now, is the fact that the WH is staffed with Ham-handed hacks.

Also the National review just posted an article calling for Nunes to step down: Devin Nunes Should Step Down as Chairman of the House Intelligence Committee

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...gn-investigation-house-intel-committee-russia

The National Review said:
Nunes isn’t Donald Trump’s lawyer. He’s not Trump’s spokesperson. It’s not his job to clean up Trump’s Twitter mess.

Chumley

Banned
I have kind of a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about this Nunes row. It feels like the curtain has finally been pulled back and the entire GOP will try to sound "concerned" but will do nothing. Nunes won't recuse and they'll continue to block and obstruct people like Yates to no consequence. They all realize Trump is guilty but they know the party will be destroyed if the truth comes out.

Elections really do have consequences. This might be overly cynical but it seems to me the only man who can actually do anything is Comey, who I flat out do not trust at all, and I think if any journalist or reporter was going to discover a bombshell it would have happened by now.

Part of me still thinks it could all explode next month somehow, but ultimately if the Republicans choose in unison to obstruct justice and the truth, that's exactly what will happen.

I have kind of a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach about this Nunes row. It feels like the curtain has finally been pulled back and the entire GOP will try to sound "concerned" but will do nothing. Nunes won't recuse and they'll continue to block and obstruct people like Yates to no consequence. They all realize Trump is guilty but they know the party will be destroyed if the truth comes out.

Elections really do have consequences. This might be overly cynical but it seems to me the only man who can actually do anything is Comey, who I flat out do not trust at all, and I think if any journalist or reporter was going to discover a bombshell it would have happened by now.

I appreciate the concern trolling but Watergate took years, and this is just the House committee.

Chumley

Banned
I appreciate the concern trolling but Watergate took years, and this is just the House committee.

I really never intended that to come across as trolling and I even said that I hope I'm wrong. I'm just disheartened that even after all the shit coming out about Nunes only one GOP house member has come out against him. It's insane.

pigeon

Banned
It took a few days for Sessions to get to the point of needing to recuse himself.

The first GOP rep to call for Nunes to recuse was just today. I am worried too but things might continue to evolve over the next few days.

Surfinn

It took a few days for Sessions to get to the point of needing to recuse himself.

The first GOP rep to call for Nunes to recuse was just today. I am worried too but things might continue to evolve over the next few days.

Maybe if one does, others will come forward. There's hope. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom