• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dynamic hasn't changed in the House, so I don't know what they expect. Maybe it'll pass, but probably not. There are enough moderates to kill the thing, especially if they make it worse.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
There is a really good write up on this from the Congressional Research Service

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL30458.pdf

The short version is that there is a deadline (June 15 -- 2 months after budget adoption deadline) but it has been extended many times in the past

It also says something about he house not being able to adjourn in July for August recess without wrapping up reconciliation

Thanks. That's good to know.

Trying to ram this through the House in the next week would be a great way to ensure Ossoff wins in two weeks.

Wonder how much enthusiasm an Ossoff win on 4/18 generates for Rob Quist's campaign. i.e. "If we can win in Georgia we can win in Montana too"

Trying to ram this through the House in the next week would be a great way to ensure Ossoff wins in two weeks.

Wonder how much enthusiasm an Ossoff win on 4/18 generates for Rob Quist's campaign. i.e. "If we can win in Georgia we can win in Montana too"
what if it tanks it so much we also pick up the Kansas seat

this is definitely a realistic goal

what if it tanks it so much we also pick up the Kansas seat

this is definitely a realistic goal
We pick up the Kansas seat, then every Republican in the House feels such shame for their actions they commit sudoku and we pick up 100 seats in the resulting national special elections.

Keeping it real.

Diablos

Wanting something is all well and good. Trump has shown no ability to work with Congress, Ryan has no control over his own caucus, and everything they have come up with so far has been incredibly unpopular.
Like how he killed Internet Privacy rules. Also incredibly unpopular. He doesn't give a fuck. He will do what he wants if he can make it happen.

Can Kander run for a MO house seat?
Problem is MO is gerrymandered to oblivion (because why not?). There are six safe GOP seats and two safe Dem seats. One of the Democrats would need to step down.

He'll probably keep his powder dry to run for governor in 2020, or take another run at the Senate in 2022. Otherwise he's a solid backup candidate for 2018 in case something happens to McCaskill.

How is unemployed man going to win against a handsome 40-something relatively centrist former Navy SEAL Oxford DPhil educated Rhodes Scholar in R+ 5 Missouri.

How is unemployed man going to win against a handsome 40-something relatively centrist former Navy SEAL Oxford DPhil educated Rhodes Scholar in R+ 5 Missouri.

Sounds like an elitist intellectual to me.

But also Republicans are the ruling party of the land and in 2020 Democrats will likely come out in force to push back against them.

Yep, I'm hearing Susan Rice everywhere.

Distraction successful. It's funny how quick Congress will probably summon Susan Rice to testify under oath in a full public hearing within a few days while the Russia hearings will slow to a crawl and hidden in private chambers.

giphy.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love how the republican response to the failed health care bill is to make it worse and try again.

I love how the republican response to the failed health care bill is to make it worse and try again.

It's insane. Start right off with the exact issue that doomed it with moderate last time. What in the world?

McConnell must be ready to punch Trump. He's delaying all of the GOP's major plans to chase this unicorn just to spite Obama.

Crocodile

One day the GOP will realize the only way to significantly improve the ACA is to move left on it. Hopefully they figure it out before the heat death of the universe :p

I bet they're feeling pressure from the base to do something, given that this is all they've talked about for 8 years

Doing nothing would be better for themselves and their constituents

Slacker

Random thought - the Texas Rangers demoted one of their relief pitchers to the minor leagues for what appears to be disciplinary reasons. I say it appears to be that because we (the fans/the media) don't know the specifics of what happened and it doesn't appear we'll find out anytime soon.

Meanwhile whenever Trump exhales a little louder than usual, it's leaked to the press by 21 different White House sources. I'm starting to think there may be more to leadership than just being an asshole. ;)

dramatis

Apparently Betsy DeVos had a busy week last week.
"Just as the traditional taxi system revolted against ridesharing, so too does the education establishment feel threatened by the rise of school choice."
During a Q-and-A with Grover "Russ" Whitehurst, a Brookings senior fellow, DeVos raised eyebrows again. Asked whether school choice could inadvertently harm public schools, she responded, "I'm not sure how they could get a lot worse on a nationwide basis."

DeVos cited scores on the Nation's Report Card, or NAEP test, that she said were "stagnant" and on the international PISA test, which she said were "deteriorating."

She was swiftly fact-checked by Whitehurst. In most subjects, he pointed out, U.S. performance on PISA is on par with international averages, although we're worse in math. On the NAEP, scores have actually been rising.
Secretary DeVos recently changed Education Department guidance to allow student loan collectors to immediately charge fees on students in default.

After an outcry from Democrats and consumer groups, Bloomberg reported, the debt collectors said they would keep the two-month grace period originally instituted in 2015.
In other student loan news, back in 2007, the Department of Education created a program called Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Borrowers with certain federal loans were supposed to be eligible to have their loans forgiven after ten years of continuous employment at a nonprofit, or for the government or military, after meeting income qualifications.

Soon that first group of loans is due to be erased. More than half a million people have already applied; up to 25 percent of the workforce is theoretically eligible. And according to the New York Times, the department suggested in a legal filing last week that thousands of would-be participants may have their approval revoked at any time, meaning they'll have to pay those loans back after all.

And according to the New York Times, the department suggested in a legal filing last week that thousands of would-be participants may have their approval revoked at any time, meaning they'll have to pay those loans back after all.

Well that's a nice way to make an entire generation never, ever, ever vote for you for the rest of their lives.

Suddenly hand them a 50k bill they built the last decade of their life around assuming wasn't going to exist.

Chichikov

Random thought - the Texas Rangers demoted one of their relief pitchers to the minor leagues for what appears to be disciplinary reasons. I say it appears to be that because we (the fans/the media) don't know the specifics of what happened and it doesn't appear we'll find out anytime soon.

Meanwhile whenever Trump exhales a little louder than usual, it's leaked to the press by 21 different White House sources. I'm starting to think there may be more to leadership than just being an asshole. ;)
I43a28Z.gif

Bat boy gonna turn.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

In other student loan news, back in 2007, the Department of Education created a program called Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Borrowers with certain federal loans were supposed to be eligible to have their loans forgiven after ten years of continuous employment at a nonprofit, or for the government or military, after meeting income qualifications.

Soon that first group of loans is due to be erased. More than half a million people have already applied; up to 25 percent of the workforce is theoretically eligible. And according to the New York Times, the department suggested in a legal filing last week that thousands of would-be participants may have their approval revoked at any time, meaning they'll have to pay those loans back after all.

I knew it. I freaking knew it.

You hand thousands of people 50k bills, with interest, and no way of getting out it via bankruptcy and someone is going to snap and do something dangerous.

It would be destroying the lives of an entire generation of non-profit workers for the sake of some piddly money that amounts to a fraction of a percent of "savings" which would likely end up just costing more money to the government in lawsuits, people quitting their jobs because what's the point, and cleaning up after the riots.

It's a really, really, really dumb idea. REALLY dumb. And extremely dangerous.

Well that's a nice way to make an entire generation never, ever, ever vote for you for the rest of their lives.

Suddenly hand them a 50k bill they built the last decade of their life around assuming wasn't going to exist.

Any public sector worker who votes Republican is already a moron, unless they're a defense contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom