• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got a bookstore called Square Books (not a joke, it's on the Oxford Square) that's pretty progressive that sells a shit ton of red hats that say "Make America Read Again"
not sure how i feel about co opting the MAGA message since it's literally a white supremacy signal but it's still probably cool.

The massive hypocrisy from republicans here is sickening. I wish we had a count for how many of them that were against Obama attacking Syria are now in favor of Trump doing it.

Let me see if I can track it down on Twitter. I saw someone post about it earlier today and I believe their count was 100+.

The massive hypocrisy from republicans here is sickening. I wish we had a count for how many of them that were against Obama attacking Syria are now in favor of Trump doing it.

I think I understand it. Obama was willing to put the responsibility on them when he asked for Congress for permission. Nobody wants responsibility, so they weren't willing to vote on it.

Trump bypassed on that, now they aren't individually responsible, so they are free to verbally support it. It is much less risky.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, saw this on twitter:

1Y09CFV.jpg

That might be the most fucked up fundraiser page i've ever seen.

You'll feel a lot better after accepting that there's no such thing as hypocrisy in Washington. Everyone is going to push and push their agenda by any means until they can't anymore.

I love the way Obama basically told them to fuck off in terms of the demand for bloodlust...but as we'll see when Trump's polls go up, America loves blowing up brown people and having a president who celebrates it.

chadskin

The US's response to Crimea was sanctions. How did that work out?

The US has no credibility in its rules-ased international order. It has might. What little credibility you had was thrown away with Iraq, and never recovered. And wont be recovered for quite a bit more time, now that the orange fuckstick is in charge.

Thus... what is the desired outcome of the current sanctions? Are they close to achieving it?

First, the most immediate desired outcome is to deter further aggression in Ukraine and elsewhere in Russia's neighborhood. Trying to assess if they're successful in this regard is going to be difficult, certainly short-term, because you're going to quickly deal with hypotheticals. Did the sanctions deter the advances by (pro-)Russian forces in Debaltseve? No. Might they have deterred a further push into Ukraine, e.g. to establish a greater region called "Novorossia"? It's possible, Putin was criticized by Russian nationalists for not following through on the invasion of Ukraine, but we'll never know for sure.

So far, it appears they're working because while the conflict continues to simmer it didn't escalate further nor did Russia invade other countries in its neighborhood. Three years is not a long enough timeframe to come to any definitive conclusions, though.

Second, in the longer term sanctions provide an important economic incentive to get the malevolent actor (back) to the table, as evidenced by the Iran deal and the US-Cuba rapprochement. That may very well take decades.

Imagine winning KS-4 next week and GA-6 the week after.

And then MT-AL next month.

SC-5 unfortunately is unwinnable, but then again I would have said that about KS-4 (not that I really like our chances there anyway, but it's a seat we have no business being competitive in).

Imagine winning KS-4 next week and GA-6 the week after.

And then MT-AL next month.

SC-5 unfortunately is unwinnable, but then again I would have said that about KS-4 (not that I really like our chances there anyway, but it's a seat we have no business being competitive in).

All will be very very difficult to win.

It would be super mega ironic if, in a moment of showing actual "presidential-level leadership" against Syria, Trump fell into a rabbit hole of an actual false flag or Russian-run operation while he was for perhaps the first time in his life doing what he felt was the right thing.
The irony of Trump upending a policy that was meant to keep America out of conflicts. Didn't he run on a America first platform?
There's not a single element to this attack or its rationale that isn't a complete 180 over what Trump had been saying and doing until even early this week.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
MSNBC: Pres. Trump Won't Telegraph Next Move in Syria

Someone should have just told him this went over bigly and he killed lots and lots of people
I mean, half his foreign policy stance was "I won't telegraph my moves" and that was exactly what he did. so tired of winning.

tbm24

Does Jared have a body double following him around overseas?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thejo...VLJ-SWPhgj-Ti2JLb-Tkpww4-Th54sG-TsifhL-Ti2SgS

Maybe they really are filming a Wes Anderson movie and that's his stunt double. I do hope they're doing everything they can to protect him though. Can you imagine if he was killed over there? His vast knowledge of inheriting a real estate empire simple can't be replaced by anyone.

Need someone to answer Trump's FaceTime call every other hour.

bplewis24

Neo Member
The truth about Syria situation is, there is no proper solution apart from going on the ground and engaging in a war with three different fronts, installing a new regime/government and then HOPING it stays.

And that needs buy in from the Arab nations.

And one of the likely results in that scenario would be another Iraq, where the government is toppled within a few short years (or even months) after withdrawal.

David Frum had the right idea.

Two biases that are in favor of Trump:

1. Need to look "fair", so they'll praise him to re-establish their bona fides (be it as impartial or, if you're conservative, to re-ingratiate yourself to the base). There's no punishment for actors who act in bad faith. Rewards it, actually.

2. A need for a narrative. Constant idiocy is not a narrative, it's stagnancy. "Growing into the presidency" (or, just in general, WAR) is a narrative. Rewards Trumps's complete idiocy and lack of a coherent ideology.

Sad, really. Prefacing with "The President actually managed to something correctly today when..." fixes alot of this with the proper framing. Then, they can offer a redaction and correction like with this impotent missle strike for more shade.

NeoXChaos

Looking back at the SC court. We lucked out with Kennedy, Stevens and Souter being swing/left leaning picks appointed by Republican Presidents.

Surprised Thomas got through a Democratic Senate. Kinda odd the court was not stacked with ultra conservatives between 69-93.

Sounds like my internal monologue about Tulsi.
This is an underrated component of why people seem to look past the whole Hindu nationalism thing

Sure she endorsed Bernie but she's also hot and endorsed Bernie. I do think her following is vastly overstated though, her twitter account has like 60k followers, for comparison Schiff has over 200k. She's definitely evil though don't get me wrong.

It sucks super hard that she gets attention and Teachout doesn't though :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is an underrated component of why people seem to look past the whole Hindu nationalism thing

Sure she endorsed Bernie but she's also hot and endorsed Bernie. I do think her following is vastly overstated though, her twitter account has like 60k followers, for comparison Schiff has over 200k. She's definitely evil though don't get me wrong.

It sucks super hard that she gets attention and Teachout doesn't though :(

It's because she was at the DNC. So when she went for Bernie after quitting it bought her tons of goodwill with his more extreme supporters. Also, she's hot.

Diablos

Looking back at the SC court. We lucked out with Kennedy, Stevens and Souter being swing/left leaning picks appointed by Republican Presidents.

Surprised Thomas got through a Democratic Senate. Kinda odd the court was not stacked with ultra conservatives between 69-93.
Gorsuch worked with Kennedy for some time right? Maybe he will end up more like Kennedy as time goes by. Just trying to be an optimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom