• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
On MSNBC right now ODonnel is talking about Putin being behind the chemical attack as well as the Trump attack which has now turned out to have done no damage at all.

It honestly makes a lot of sense.

jtb

Banned
it's okay if Thomas steps down. it's a conservative seat so we don't need to worry about those. they deserve it.

daedalius

On MSNBC right now ODonnel is talking about Putin being behind the chemical attack as well as the Trump attack which has now turned out to have done no damage at all.

I feel like this missile stuff is going to turn around on trump in a bad way in a few days.

Surfinn

What's the point of the Trump attack then? To distract and make it look like he's pissing off Putin?

Isn't this just a rumor

The rumor is that Kennedy is retiring because he only has one clerk hired past Summer and because he moved his Clerk reunion to this year (his 29th year on the bench) instead of doing it next year for his 30th (its customary to hold these things every five years.)

it's okay if Thomas steps down. it's a conservative seat so we don't need to worry about those. they deserve it.
not sure if this is a joke but Thomas's seat used to be Marshall's who was definitely not a conservative. A seat is a seat so why does it matter if it was held by a conservative or a liberal first?

Chumley

Banned
That would be some sinister shit. Even for Trump I'm gunna guess no. But nothing definite, especially if the evidence is there.

If you think about all of it coming from Putin it makes sense. Trump isn't smart enough to even try to be that sinister, but Putin doesn't give a shit. If he has to order his pawn to gas civilians to get what is in his mind a win, he'll do it. A bunch of dead Syrians and blown up airfield are nothing to him, like Rick Wilson just said, especially if it takes heat off of his special relationship with Trump.

He knew that attack had to be responded to, and if Trump called him to get approval on what to attack, it all lines up.

It's a joke.
Oh sorry my bad. It's too bad Marshall couldn't hold on for like another two years, then we could've gotten three seats out of Clinton and not have to deal with Thomas. I wonder if Thomas is as odious as he is relative to Souter because the options for conservative black justice would obviously be limited.

Surfinn

If you think about all of it coming from Putin it makes sense. Trump isn't smart enough to even try to be that sinister, but Putin doesn't give a shit. If he has to order his pawn to gas civilians to get what is in his mind a win, he'll do it. A bunch of dead Syrians and blown up airfield are nothing to him, like Rick Wilson just said, especially if it takes heat off of his special relationship with Trump.
Wait so the theory is that Trump unwittingly followed Putin's plan? That Putin set this all in motion because he knew Trump would retaliate?

Diablos

Hopefully Dems can somehow grab the senate in 2018 so they can block if something unfortunate happens before 2020.
Senate is probably out of reach but you're right that would probably be our last hope. Meh

The rumor is that Kennedy is retiring because he only has one clerk hired past Summer and because he moved his Clerk reunion to this year (his 29th year on the bench) instead of doing it next year for his 30th (its customary to hold these things every five years.)
Well that is indeed interesting...

Trump really could get 4 justices

jtb

Banned
Forgot where I read this, but isn't Kennedy getting to be the age where he's really worried about his legacy?

Oh sorry my bad. It's too bad Marshall couldn't hold on for like another two years, then we could've gotten three seats out of Clinton and not have to deal with Thomas. I wonder if Thomas is as odious as he is relative to Souter because the options for conservative black justice would obviously be limited.

Ha no worries. Marshall's situation is what immediately came to mind with the RBG scenario.

Honestly this is the one of the dumber conversations we could have because we have no idea when people will retire or die and we cannot control it so who the fuck cares. Monitoring RBG's running schedule isn't going to make me feel better or worse. There's literally nothing you or anyone else can do because it's the lives of 8 individuals so stop getting worked up about it. There are much better things to freak out over.

I read somewhere that the SC takes awhile to adjust to new justices and so I'm not really sure they'd really appreciate Kennedy dropping the ball and them having to bring two new justices up to speed this year

jtb

Banned
Man, I like John Dickerson a lot, but it can be so cringeworthy hearing him fetishize the Great American Traditions That Make America Great (along with his overbearing "balance").

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Geez, everyone. Does the weekend have to kick off with the bleakest speculation possible?

Diablos

Honestly this is the one of the dumber conversations we could have because we have no idea when people will retire or die and we cannot control it so who the fuck cares. Monitoring RBG's running schedule isn't going to make me feel better or worse. There's literally nothing you or anyone else can do because it's the lives of 8 individuals so stop getting worked up about it. There are much better things to freak out over.
SCOTUS is pretty damn important not only as a last line of defense against what we'll see this administration end up doing, but when Dems win big someday they need a left leaning SCOTUS to back them.

Kind of hard to do something massive like Medicare for all or something more practical like sensible voting rights or a reversal of citizens united with a 7-2 or 6-3 conservative court someday.

SCOTUS is pretty damn important not only as a last line of defense against what we'll see this administration end up doing, but when Dems win big someday they need a left leaning SCOTUS to back them.

Kind of hard to do something big like Medicare for all or something more practical like sensible voting rights or a reversal of citizens united with a 7-2 or 6-3 conservative court someday.

You are not going to keep RBG alive. No one is besides her. Speculating on her health is silly. Yes, it's important, yes, it matters, but unlike every other institution, these are 8 (now 9) very unique individuals who will do things at their own pace and there is literally nothing you, me, or anyone can do about it, so it's not worth driving yourself crazy with speculation. You've basically spent pages pre-writing her obituary, so how about we like, put a pause on it all?

BSsBrolly

Banned

It's good to know that this little stunt won't stop the FBI. It may stop our poor excuse for media but the investgation will continue.

broz0rs

So it seems the popular opinion right now regarding the Syrian missile strike is that Trump called in Russia hours before the strike to warn them to evacuate all Russian personnel and equipment. The Russians, in turn, warned Assad that the Americans will strike the base and allowed the Syrians to evacuate. In other words, this missile strike essentially accomplished nothing except for it being an expensive fireworks show.

Diablos

You are not going to keep RBG alive. No one is besides her. Speculating on her health is silly. Yes, it's important, yes, it matters, but unlike every other institution, these are 8 (now 9) very unique individuals who will do things at their own pace and there is literally nothing you, me, or anyone can do about it, so it's not worth driving yourself crazy with speculation. You've basically spent pages pre-writing her obituary, so how about we like, put a pause on it all?
I'm not the only one talking about the SCOTUS but I understand. I just disagree that it's not worth talking so much about. It is and I'm not sure how but Dems need to fight like hell for a narrow Senate majority next year

Writing RBG's obit, that's a stretch, ditto for keeping her alive? Not sure what to say there. She seems pretty healthy for her age, more concerned that she'd step down, not die

BSsBrolly

Banned
So it seems the popular opinion right now regarding the Syrian missile strike is that Trump called in Russia hours before the strike to warn them to evacuate all Russian personnel and equipment. The Russians, in turn, warned Assad that the Americans will strike the base and allowed the Syrians to evacuate. In other words, this missile strike essentially accomplished nothing except for it being an expensive fireworks show.

It did serve a purpose though, it made our media call Trump Presidential and made it look like Trump isn't sucking Putins dick.

I'm not the only one talking about the SCOTUS but I understand. I just disagree that it's not worth talking so much about. It is and I'm not sure how but Dems need to fight like hell for a narrow Senate majority next year

Writing RBG's obit, that's a stretch, ditto for keeping her alive? Not sure what to say there. She seems pretty healthy for her age, more concerned that she'd step down, not die

She's not going to let Trump replace her. She'd rather die on the bench than let that man fill her seat.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So uh... how's tax reform goin'?

Should be able to put together a bill in a week right ?

The rumors seem to say they're shifting to the assumption that the legislation filibuster is being nuked for it instead of bothering with Budget Reconciliation.

They are stuck in the corner after not having any deficit savings at all for Obamacare to use to meet Budget Reconciliation rules for defiicts from tax reform, and they certainly don't want to do something super unpopular yet again in order to force through the filibuster loophole.

pigeon

Banned
If you're worried about RBG go pray for her, that one study shows it works

Plus you need to counter all the evangelicals secretly praying for her to die

The rumors seem to say they're shifting to the assumption that the legislation filibuster is being nuked for it instead of bothering with Budget Reconciliation.

They are stuck in the corner after not having any deficit savings at all for Obamacare to use to meet Budget Reconciliation rules for defiicts from tax reform, and they certainly don't want to do something super unpopular yet again in order to force through the filibuster loophole.
Getting rid of the legislation filibuster seems like an awful idea for the GOP. It gets rid of their panic button if things get really dire and something insane and party destroying is about to pass.

pigeon

Banned

Wait, I haven't seen any rumors about the legislative filibuster. I don't think I buy that. 61 senators just committed to keeping that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom