• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

So the Carrier "deal" fell through? (or am I misreading this article?)

So while nobody was looking, New York just passed a pretty liberal budget that I'm actually surprised passed

Includes free college tuition for residents, ride sharing, and not trying 16 and 17 year olds as adults.

Cuomo looking to keep his governer's seat for 2018 (not that it would be hard) and make that pres run in 2020 :p

Still, this is good to hear. Maybe worth a thread?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
17800414_2001311943289832_7731942823401333873_n.jpg

Everyone play along

Si! We can!

https://twitter.com/juanbahama/status/851408866055262209

Doesn't the GOP control one of the two assemblies? How the hell did they get free college past that?
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...4/09/senate-looks-finish-ny-budget/100256986/
A 1999 state law prevents lawmakers from collecting their pay until a final budget agreement is approved if they blow through the March 31 deadline to have a spending plan in place.
lol

Still, this is good to hear. Maybe worth a thread?

Idunno. "Liberal state does liberal things"

DonShula

So the Carrier "deal" fell through? (or am I misreading this article?)

There were some jobs that were never going to move, and a difference between the number he claimed to be saving and the number that were supposed to be losing their jobs in the first place. Trump claimed credit for saving some jobs that weren't going and ignored others that were going.

All of this was reported within two weeks of the original "deal" so it's not news. Just things people forgot, which I believe is the reason for citing them in the article.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NY republicans aren't national republicans, they're moderate to semi liberal depending on the city/district. And theyre scared of Cuomo lol.

And the IDC is why they have any say in the first place, so when the Dems put their foot down they don't have much choice but to do what they want.

NY republicans aren't national republicans, they're moderate to semi liberal depending on the city/district. And theyre scared of Cuomo lol.

Yes, but many Democrats don't support free college. And I'd imagine most NY/Northeast Republicans while being moderate on social issues are still probably anti-labor, anti-welfare, anti-taxation, anti-spending, etc. Of course I may be wrong

Yes, but many Democrats don't support free college. And I'd imagine most NY/Northeast Republicans while being moderate on social issues are still probably anti-labor, anti-welfare, anti-taxation, anti-spending, etc. Of course I may be wrong
This bill also included a billion dollar increase in public school funding and had the blessing of the state GOP.

If NY Republicans started getting weird and crazy, the Democrats would just make them completely irrelevant. They're at the mercy of the Democrats pretending NY is bi-partisan.

Nearing 100 days with far more stumbles than successes, WH holds a strategy sesh to map out spin. It promptly leaks.

'We’ve got essentially two-and-a-half weeks to turn everything around,' says one Trump staffer

Though the White House continues to push for progress on stalled health care legislation, there are only five legislative days remaining once Congress returns from a two-week spring break. Plus, another deadline looms: Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress must still pass a bill before April 28 to keep the government running.

If they fail, a shutdown would begin on Trump’s 100th day in office.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/donald-trump-first-100-days-237053

This is gonna be goooooooood.

Cuomo should be proof that you can be the most establishment shill Democrat that ever existed in the establishment, and still push far left reforms. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This bill also included a billion dollar increase in public school funding and had the blessing of the state GOP.

If NY Republicans started getting weird and crazy, the Democrats would just make them completely irrelevant. They're at the mercy of the Democrats pretending NY is bi-partisan.

Yeah, the GOP model in NY is pretty smart. Much like California, there are people who aren't Dems, but if those people try shit like the CA Republicans did, then you're basically going to get frozen out of the state government entirely.

While we're throwing lolgametheory ideas at the wall, possible to hold the shutdown hostage in exchange for an independent Russia commission?

Throw his taxes in there. Clearly there are no repercussions for the "obstruction party" for shutting down the government, so why not go hog wild?

Republicans have no idea what they are doing. Since 2008 they have been the party of doing the exact opposite of Obama and the party of wiping his legacy out completely.

They have no idea how to govern anymore, and even elected people who have no idea what the fuck they are doing except for being "Not Obama".
"You know, Obama would have kept the government open"
"SHUT 'ER DOWN"

dramatis

“It was a brainstorming session and I really wish they had spoken up in the room so that we could have had an open and honest conversation,” he said. “It is unproductive adjudicating internal discussions through the media.”

As for the rebranding remark, Dubke said that had been misinterpreted. “There is not a need for a rebranding but there is a need to brand the first 100 days,” Dubke said. “Because if we don’t do it the media is going to do it. That’s what our job is.”

Trump’s communications team is now plotting to divide their first 100 days into three categories of accomplishments, according to people familiar with plans: “prosperity” (such as new manufacturing jobs, reduced regulations and pulling out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal), “accountability” (following through on swamp-draining campaign promises such as lobbying restrictions) and “safety/security” (including the dramatic reduction in border crossing and the strike in Syria).
The backwards bending that has to be done to spin.

Also I'm pretty sure the East Wing is empty right now because Melania isn't even in the White House, so why are they working in the hallways when there is office space just a sprint away. For that matter I don't know why their office space is filled when there's so little people actually working there, and those people keep working on things to add to the growing pile of failures.
The constant presence of senior advisers encircling Trump has created a vicious — and some officials say self-defeating — cycle in which top aides feel they cannot leave his side, lest they lose influence or be perceived to have.

“People are saying, ‘Why is everyone traveling with the president?’ and in the next breath, ‘You must not be important, you’re not traveling with the president?’” another White House official complained. “You can’t have it both ways.”
Thrilling. The people you want the most in public service are obviously the guys who are the most selfish and self-centered

Yup. Good luck convincing certain folks on the left of that.

Ironically, it's probably him being so hardcore establishment that allows him to pass these things. He can crack the whip on the Democrats and strike fear into the GOP because he rules the NYS Democrat party.

And outsider governor likely wouldn't have the same sway Cuomo does.

Barzul

I wonder how SCOTUS will rule on expanding gun rights to allow for concealed carry in public

America is the only country that seems to think more guns is answer when every other country has a lower gun death rate than we do due to wait for it.....less guns. Honestly wonder if there's any event that might cause the national opinion to turn in favor of gun control. I mean if Sandy Hook couldn't do it, I'm hard pressed to think anything could.

America is the only country that seems to think more guns is answer when every other country has a lower gun death rate than we do due to wait for it.....less guns. Honestly wonder if there's any event that might cause the national opinion to turn in favor of gun control. I mean if Sandy Hook couldn't do it, I'm hard pressed to think anything could.

If an entire school being massacred isn't going to do it, I doubt anything will.

We're in a post-fact society. Maybe when gun owners feel they can't be an action movie hero in order to prevent violence in their lives. I don't see how a singular event would change their theory, it just makes it worse.

We're in a post-fact society. Maybe when gun owners feel they can't be an action movie hero in order to prevent violence in their lives. I don't see how a singular event would change their theory, it just makes it worse.
"You have to be able to defend yourself"
"The first thing a dictator does is disarm the population"

That's why gun ownership will never be reduced in America. Those two interlocked mindsets

Wait...
So what's this about a possible reboot needed for the tax plan?
This in regards to the healthcare plan falling on its face?
I'm assuming they are going to need to rearrange a whole lot of deck chairs on the Titanic in order to account for not having that hypothetical $500B laying around anymore.

Finalizer

They do but not exclusively. Trump deserved his negative ads and they would have been more effective if they weren't basically the only kind of ad run against him.

I'd also argue that Trump might've reached a sort of negativity saturation point. Like, anyone who wasn't already convinced by the point of pussygate & the sexual assaults wasn't going to be swayed by hammering the point any further.

Wait...
So what's this about a possible reboot needed for the tax plan?
This in regards to the healthcare plan falling on its face?
I'm assuming they are going to need to rearrange a whole lot of deck chairs on the Titanic in order to account for not having that hypothetical $500B laying around anymore.

And this is with a two week recess. They're fucked.

I just assume those people were already Trump supporters and are just too shy to admit it, but now there's a chance to show support (kinda) and not look like a huge bigot racist nazi enabler.

Pretty much this. Then people see these "new" Trump supporters and start thinking that Trump is guaranteed to win re-election because clearly this is what's going to make the American people love him.

I'm not a fan of trying to pack the court, but if Trump actually got several judges nominated and they were actively holding back the progress of the country I feel like there would have to be some kind of solution.

Wilsongt

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday the Justice Department will no longer partner with an independent group of experts that has been working to improve the accuracy of forensic science.

In a public statement first reported by the Washington Post, Sessions announced he would not renew the National Commission on Forensic Science, a group of scientists, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and other experts tasked by the Obama administration in 2013 with raising standards for the use of forensic evidence in criminal proceedings.

Too many colored boys getting off due to science, I guess.

https://thinkprogress.org/sessions-forensics-dc974a67ea38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom