• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

If an entire school being massacred isn't going to do it, I doubt anything will.

The simple fact is that the gun nuts want their deregulation much harder than everybody else (including moderate gun owners!) want some form of new regulation. It's the case of a dedicated core of radicals driving a national conversation and winning every time.

jmdajr

afp_nc0vx.jpg

I read a article that they did 3 different tax plan. One was for the campaign, than they was designing one during the transition, and finally designing one sometime after his in office.

I guess they going to make a completely new tax plan from scarp. They pretty much have to after failing to pass the healthcare bill.

He had a tax plan during his campaign, I think some of you guys talked about it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-tax-plan-2015-9

Teggy

I think the tax plan he ran on during the campaign was the one that economists said would basically bankrupt the country. It assumed some completely unrealistic growth rate.

Ogodei

Trump still flat at 40 on Gallup.

I bet there will be some upward movement still, unless Trump has another major gaffe in the next few days (which is basically even odds at any given time), although it's less than it would have been because he loses some of the Nazis in exchange for bringing in some NeverTrump hawks.

DonShula

The discussed tax plan in the AP, replacing many payroll taxes with a huge VAT, is mildly interesting from a policy perspective.

Dems have no reason to work with him (especially since it would still include a corporate tax cut) and there's probably >30 Reps would be scared off of a big tax on retired people.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-04-09-08-36-18

It all sounds like the beginnings of the failed AHCA. Taxes are hard, every option makes someone mad, GOP already rankling each other, etc.

And the photo with that article... guh. Someone put out a bounty on his tanning goggles.

Wilsongt

Politicians who make ads saying "vote for me and I'll get rid of health insurance and keep out brown people" are a special breed of stupid.

So while nobody was looking, New York just passed a pretty liberal budget that I'm actually surprised passed

Includes free college tuition for residents, ride sharing, and not trying 16 and 17 year olds as adults.

One of my favorite this american life episodes is the one that covered new york's budget crisis after the financial collapse 6 years ago. I wonder what changed besides the economy improving.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So a VAT is essentially Sales Tax but on the federal level right? It'd definitely be an interesting approach.

It's not just sales tax, it's added and paid over the lifetime of a product as it passes hands. It's not always great, but it's better than a million loopholes and deductions.

NPR had a good article on it last week, probably in anticipation of this. http://www.npr.org/2017/04/03/52244...ries-to-rethink-americas-complicated-tax-code

My favorite part is all the alternative naming countries came up with so it's not a VAT. And it worked!

It's not just sales tax, it's added over the lifetime of a product as it passes hands. It's not always great, but it's better than a million loopholes and deductions.
But still massively less progressive than our current income tax -- that's the tradeoff, right? Or would this just be in exchange for payroll taxes?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What are methods to make a VAT less regressive? tax rebate for lower income earners? Lower vat / no vat on things like groceries?

It's not just sales tax, it's added over the lifetime of a product as it passes hands. It's not always great, but it's better than a million loopholes and deductions.

It's also regressive, because the more you make, the less of your income you spend on products. So the 1% will push for it.

Barzul

It's definitely something I could actually be sold on if it replaces the payroll tax. It also casts wider net than the payroll tax and should ultimately end up generating more tax income for the country (I think), which could fund more welfare type programs...universal healthcare really is what I'd want. Trump and his team probably screw up something like this so it's a non-starter. I know my home country and the UK when I was there had VAT's.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What are methods to make a VAT less regressive? tax rebate for lower income earners? Lower vat / no vat on things like groceries?

Those are the two most common ways. Exempt essentials completely or to a limit (food, fuel, household basics) and/or create a rebate below an income floor.

Ogodei

In my mind i feel like VAT should just replace the corporate income tax. Give them their cut to 15%, but replace the missing 20% with a small VAT, which would capture more from international suppliers anyway.

It shouldn't replace income. My only changes to federal income would be to normalize capital gains with wages income (gets counted together and taxed at one rate, and you can write off capital losses), raise the threshold for your first dollar of federal tax, and build the higher tax bracket to 50%.

That and my hare-brained plan to tax inheritances over $10 million at 99%, and add a 10 cents or 1% (whichever is lower) transaction fee to every stock trade.

Barzul

In my mind i feel like VAT should just replace the corporate income tax. Give them their cut to 15%, but replace the missing 20% with a small VAT, which would capture more from international suppliers anyway.

It shouldn't replace income. My only changes to federal income would be to normalize capital gains with wages income (gets counted together and taxed at one rate, and you can write off capital losses), raise the threshold for your first dollar of federal tax, and build the higher tax bracket to 50%.

That and my hare-brained plan to tax inheritances over $10 million at 99%, and add a 10 cents or 1% (whichever is lower) transaction fee to every stock trade.

That last part would rake in so much money, especially combined with a VAT. I think I could get behind a VAT mostly because I can see the bigger picture....like many years down the line after Trump. It'd definitely have to be made less regressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom