• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
John Dickerson of Face the Nation is saying he’s hearing republicans are planning to go nuclear with the filibuster for legislation as well.

This would be insanity and destroy the government here almost irreparably because of how polarized our country is now.

Ogodei

Do you think McConnell, with his majority of all of 2 senators, would've wanted to get into a situation where he would've been forced to do something about AHCA?

Filibuster lets him deflect blame for the bad stuff. I could see "going nuclear" for some piece of landmark legislation that was a clear electoral winner, but i also don't see anything like that coming out of the House as it stands.

JP_

Banned
Do you think McConnell, with his majority of all of 2 senators, would've wanted to get into a situation where he would've been forced to do something about AHCA?

Filibuster lets him deflect blame for the bad stuff. I could see "going nuclear" for some piece of landmark legislation that was a clear electoral winner, but i also don't see anything like that coming out of the House as it stands.

Tax reform...

Wilsongt

The supervisor of the Oklahoma House of Representatives' page program told pages to use private staff and member restrooms, and then in a follow-up email said that "there are cross-dressers" in the building, while an LGBT student group lobbied representatives.

"As per the Speaker's office, Pages are being allowed access the ladies restroom across from 401, for today," Kipgen wrote. "Again, there are cross-dressers in the building."

Oklahoma.

If James Thompson even comes close in KS-4 (single digits), expect the knives to come out from all sides blaming one another for blowing it even though it's an R+bazillion district anyway.

Only concern if Thompson won is it might put a fire under GA-6 Republicans, and while GA-6 is trending our way KS-4 is almost certainly a rental until things normalize.

~Kinggi~

Banned
John Dickerson of Face the Nation is saying he’s hearing republicans are planning to go nuclear with the filibuster for legislation as well.

This deserves massive protests. In fact a lot deserves massive protest but the sheep have proved complacent. Little hope as democracy will slowly die and the crazies take complete control. They better not do this.

This deserves massive protests. In fact a lot deserves massive protest but the sheep have proved complacent. Little hope as democracy will slowly die and the crazies take complete control. They better not do this.
The filibuster is undemocratic though

I understand wanting it from a "prevent terrible legislation" position but it's also bad and if it's around by the next time we have sufficient seats to pass anything we should 100% nuke it.

Are you all even aware of how many awful bills would be passed over the years because reluctant Senators would have no choice but to go along with their rabid bases on something? It would be bad for everyone.

DonShula

I have to wonder if that's going to help him or hurt him at this point.

I'm saddened by the idea of anyone feeling compelled to do something because Donald Trump left them a prerecorded voice mail. If I got that message from Trump I'd do the opposite of whatever he said. Yet this will probably end up working. Ugh.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/851547618983522304

I dream of the day Cruz gets caught up in a scandal so I can bathe in sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

While it sucks that we lost the SC, at least we can take solace in the fact that Obama was able to pack the federal courts thanks in no small part to, hilariously enough, Ted Cruz.

Speaking of which, since it appears that the federal circuit courts are pretty much our last line of defense against Republicans, how much of a difference will they actually make?

I'm saddened by the idea of anyone feeling compelled to do something because Donald Trump left them a prerecorded voice mail. If I got that message from Trump I'd do the opposite of whatever he said. Yet this will probably end up working. Ugh.
tbh it probably will have no meaningful effect, but people desperate to find meaning in everything will attribute Estes' win entirely to Trump boosting him.

DonShula

tbh it probably will have no meaningful effect, but people desperate to find meaning in everything will attribute Estes' win entirely to Trump boosting him.

You think maybe someone told Trump to do this knowing it'd result in a win he could take credit for? It's sad how plausible that is, and how desperately he needs something to brag about. 100 days closing in quickly...

Diablos

Time will tell. I find it unlikely. They would have done it for the AHCA if they were serious

I think

Of course the AHCA was DOA if it ever made it to the Senate so perhaps Turtleface felt that wasn't the best time to talk about killing the legislative filibuster

teiresias

The GOP would look ridiculous killing the legislative filibuster before they've been able to get something voted on that they could even agree upon amongst themselves.

So I'm doubting this bit of intel, particularly if the rumors about Reps and Dems having behind the scenes talks on a funding bill that will pass with Dem votes instead of HFC votes is actually true.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Time will tell. I find it unlikely. They would have done it for the AHCA if they were serious

I think

Of course the AHCA was DOA if it ever made it to the Senate so perhaps Turtleface felt that wasn't the best time to talk about killing the legislative filibuster

No, because the AHCA didn't even get enough internal support. There is a reason the bill never made it to vote.

Diablos

No, because the AHCA didn't even get enough internal support. There is a reason the bill never made it to vote.
Regardless, my point is it was a bad time to float the notion that you'd kill the legislative filibuster when people were talking about a shitty bill no one wanted anywhere

You think maybe someone told Trump to do this knowing it'd result in a win he could take credit for? It's sad how plausible that is, and how desperately he needs something to brag about. 100 days closing in quickly...
100 day achievements:

- Gorsuch
- Holding a House seat that's been Republican since 1994 and Trump won by nearly 30 points

Hooray!

The GOP would look ridiculous killing the legislative filibuster before they've been able to get something voted on that they could even agree upon amongst themselves.

So I'm doubting this bit of intel, particularly if the rumors about Reps and Dems having behind the scenes talks on a funding bill that will pass with Dem votes instead of HFC votes is actually true.
The last bit (Dems working with GOP on the budget) is probably completely true. None of the successful budgets during Boehner's days as Speaker were ever party-line votes because HFC kept demanding stupid shit poison pills, so he had to grovel to Pelosi every time.

Who's ready for O'Malley 2020?

If he had persevered and gone on to win the primary, O’Malley thinks he would have had a better shot at beating Trump for the presidency than Sanders or, if he had run, former Vice President Joe Biden.

“I think I would have won,” he said.

Worried we have seen the last of O’Malley as a presidential contender? Fear not!

“I might run for president in 2020,” he said. “I think it’s way too early for anybody to make that determination right now.”

Ac30

100 day achievements:

- Gorsuch
- Holding a House seat that's been Republican since 1994 and Trump won by nearly 30 points

Hooray!

The last bit (Dems working with GOP on the budget) is probably completely true. None of the successful budgets during Boehner's days as Speaker were ever party-line votes because HFC kept demanding stupid shit poison pills, so he had to grovel to Pelosi every time.

To be fair he also destroyed the EPA and the education department, and instituted a dumb regulation ban. Progress!

The thing that really bugs me about OPTICS is how most everyone freely admits that it shouldn't matter but plays along anyway, which is the only thing making it actually matter.

100 day achievements:

- Gorsuch

Hooray!

The thing that's weird about that is that back then, House Dems wanted to get a budget passed in part because Obama was president. Now that Trump is president, they have less incentive to be cooperative because they'd be throwing him a lifeline. Bad tidings for a budget if suddenly the Dems have less incentive to cooperate, and at the same time, the HFC has less incentive to cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom