• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you all even aware of how many awful bills would be passed over the years because reluctant Senators would have no choice but to go along with their rabid bases on something? It would be bad for everyone.

Congress already passes awful bills, but then they get to blame the filibuster and the minority party for those bills and dodge criticism. It's why people get to say "I bet the GOP would fix health care in this country but the Dumbocrats won't let em!"

If the majority party got to do what it wanted without the minority party sandbagging it, then people would actually, finally accept that when shit hits the fan under Republicans that it was in fact the Republicans that did the fucking up. Right now, majority parties are insulated somewhat from the consequences of their actions.

Apparently there's a poll w/ the GOP only up by 1 point in Kansas: https://t.co/zRNyBkLsbI
200w.gif

Jeff Merkley 2020 or I'm not voting

The best bet would be Franken or Gillibrand imo. I think Booker would have a good shot as well, except the Bernie crowd might not go for him and him being unmarried probably hurts his chances quite a bit. Bottom line, it needs to be someone with Charisma and/or that doesn't pull their punches with that bullshit "when they go low, we go high" mindset.

kirblar

The best bet would be Franken or Gillibrand imo. I think Booker would have a good shot as well, except the Bernie crowd might not go for him and him being unmarried probably hurts his chances quite a bit. Bottom line, it needs to be someone with Charisma and/or that doesn't pull their punches with that bullshit "when they go low, we go high" mindset.
I think Franken should be the VP pretty much regardless of who wins.

Gillibrand is terrifying (in a good way) as a political chameleon.

Franken supporting the Iraq War should be a serious issue in the primary, which makes me disinclined towards supporting him even though I'd otherwise think he'd be a strong candidate.

Have I told you the good news about Sherrod Brown however

I think Franken should be the VP pretty much regardless of who wins.

That would be a good idea. I could see Booker/Franken or Gillibrand/Franken having a good showing. I'm not sold on Sherrod Brown, because I'm worried he won't even win his Senate seat in 2018. But then again, I don't know exactly how well he's viewed in Ohio.

That would be a good idea. I could see Booker/Franken or Gillibrand/Franken having a good showing. I'm not sold on Sherrod Brown, because I'm worried he won't even win his Senate seat in 2018. But then again, I don't know exactly how well he's viewed in Ohio.
Since Kasich isn't running against him, it's likely he'll win. If Kasich were, Sherrod would have been boned..

Don't underestimate Josh Mande...pfftthhahahahahaha

Can't wait to see how many illegal Mandel signs I'll see on the interstate from Cleveland to Columbus tho

After Brown I don't really have much of a preference other than CCM. Gillibrand will probably get hurt from her Blue Dog days after campaigning against amnesty and to withhold funding from sanctuary cities, though I might be wrong. It's possible just saying you're pro free college and $15 minimum wage will make up for past transgressions. It'll be interesting to see what happens between her and Cuomo if they both run.

Sherrod Brown would be a good candidate if he didn't sound like Tom Waits

Let's resurrect Mo Udall
this is a plus imo

I unironically love hearing Brown's gravelly voice

This deserves massive protests. In fact a lot deserves massive protest but the sheep have proved complacent. Little hope as democracy will slowly die and the crazies take complete control. They better not do this.

What's the difference between crazies slowly taking complete control (now) then crazies just taking complete control?

Imo if Repubs game the system smartly, and they damn well have, the protests will do nothing to dissuade any Red state repubs who are backing the nuclear option.

But I guess the glimmer of hope is that these protests come from the swing states. If it does indeed motivate independents and democrats to speak up and affect upcoming elections, they may be afraid to try the nuke.

After Brown I don't really have much of a preference other than CCM. Gillibrand will probably get hurt from her Blue Dog days after campaigning against amnesty and to withhold funding from sanctuary cities, though I might be wrong. It's possible just saying you're pro free college and $15 minimum wage will make up for past transgressions. It'll be interesting to see what happens between her and Cuomo if they both run.

this is a plus imo

I unironically love hearing Brown's gravelly voice

The crowd that might be mad about Gillibrand's past on paper didn't seem to mind that Liz Warren was an actual Republican, complete with some insane free market quotes. I don't think it'll end up mattering, though I also don't think we'll elect a woman in my lifetime anymore :(

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The crowd that might be mad about Gillibrand's past on paper didn't seem to mind that Liz Warren was an actual Republican, complete with some insane free market quotes. I don't think it'll end up mattering, though I also don't think we'll elect a woman in my lifetime anymore :(

Like Warren, Gillibrand wasn't really in the public eye when she said that stuff. Plus when confronted on it she more or less has the best answer there is. I think the amount of time Clinton was in the public eye mattered far more than almost anything else when it comes to that crowd.

Warren said those things as a private citizen a long time ago, Gillibrand did that stuff as an elected official. I don't know if it sinks her but I definitely think Bernie voting against the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill hurt him with Latino voters. Maybe it doesn't stick though!

Though if you want a woman president, trends from other countries who've had women as head of government would suggest that we're more likely to get our first female head-of-government from the right rather than the left. Thatcher, Merkel, etc. There's a couple exceptions but it is a sort of observable trend.

Like Warren, Gillibrand wasn't really in the public eye when she said that stuff. Plus when confronted on it she more or less has the best answer there is. I think the amount of time Clinton was in the public eye mattered far more than almost anything else when it comes to that crowd.

Right, I'm saying it won't matter for Gillibrand.

Warren said those things as a private citizen a long time ago, Gillibrand did that stuff as an elected official. I don't know if it sinks her but I definitely think Bernie voting against the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill hurt him with Latino voters. Maybe it doesn't stick though!

Though if you want a woman president, trends from other countries who've had women as head of government would suggest that we're more likely to get our first female head-of-government from the right rather than the left. Thatcher, Merkel, etc. There's a couple exceptions but it is a sort of observable trend.

I don't think very many people actually care if you say things as a private person or elected official. I don't think it would end up mattering, at least any more than anybody else's typical problems would.

And the reason the right can elect women is because they like to prop up token examples as a means of deflection. "We don't hate women, we picked Thatcher!" It's as thinly veiled as Rubio's hype (which was certainly due to him being young and Cuban, which GOP strategists hoped would head off any racism charges).

Though, to be honest, I'd at least be a little happy if we elected a woman, even from the right. It is absolutely a pathetic failing of the US that our Presidents are so unrepresentative.

Right, I'm saying it won't matter for Gillibrand.

I don't think very many people actually care if you say things as a private person or elected official. I don't think it would end up mattering, at least any more than anybody else's typical problems would.

And the reason the right can elect women is because they like to prop up token examples as a means of deflection. "We don't hate women, we picked Thatcher!" It's as thinly veiled as Rubio's hype (which was certainly due to him being young and Cuban, which GOP strategists hoped would head off any racism charges).

Though, to be honest, I'd at least be a little happy if we elected a woman, even from the right. It is absolutely a pathetic failing of the US that our Presidents are so unrepresentative.
I think the difference is that Warren probably actually did just have her political views change (since she had nothing really to gain from it) while Gillibrand's looks more cynical. I'm not even anti-Gillibrand really, I just don't know if she won't get hurt from being a Blue Dog.

And the explanation I heard was that if the right were ready to accept a woman as head of government, then the country as a whole is probably ready. I don't think Thatcher or Merkel are tokens really but because they represent more socially conservative constituencies the fact that they're accepted by the people least likely to accept them means they'll probably be fine.

Wag

Why is the press coverage so awful? We all know when Bannon calls Kushner a "Globalist" and "Democrat" these are all buzzwords for "Jew". I don't understand why the press doesn't call him out for this?

Some might argue here that's an important part of why he lost the primary!
Imo it had less to do with this and more to do with Bernie just straight up conceding minorities.

He also voted for the crime bill and literally no one gave a shit about it.

Bernie lost because (among other things) he wanted to reframe race issues as class issues.

I expected a 7-8 point victory for GOP in Kansas.

@Nate_Cohn 5h5 hours ago
Day 12 of in-person early voting in GA-6 is R 47, D 39--highest turnout and best GOP day yet
Over all, D 49, R 34 with 26717 ballots cast.

GA.

I expect Ossof to hit 45-46% on 1st round.

The majority of voters now left to vote ar Republican, e-day turnout will be very R heavy.

I'd expect this continue, given who is left to vote. Among voters who haven't voted yet with a >80% of voting in midterm: R 78, D 21

Oh Brown voted no on Comprehensive Immigration Reform too, lol.
Oh RIP my dream candidate. Maybe you're right or maybe my favored candidate is fucked come 2020.

Imo it had less to do with this and more to do with Bernie just straight up conceding minorities.

He also voted for the crime bill and literally no one gave a shit about it.

Bernie lost because (among other things) he wanted to reframe race issues as class issues.
I wouldn't say he conceded the Latino vote at all, he did a lot better with them than he did with black voters and came close in Nevada, heavily contested California, etc.

I do think the Immigration Reform vote hurt him but maybe I'm overstating its importance.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Franken supporting the Iraq War should be a serious issue in the primary, which makes me disinclined towards supporting him even though I'd otherwise think he'd be a strong candidate.

Have I told you the good news about Sherrod Brown however

He supported the Iraq War because he believed Collin Powell.

A whole bunch of the US supported the Iraq War. Because they didn't think that the Administration would just outright flagrantly lie about an imminent threat to global security.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the difference is that Warren probably actually did just have her political views change (since she had nothing really to gain from it) while Gillibrand's looks more cynical. I'm not even anti-Gillibrand really, I just don't know if she won't get hurt from being a Blue Dog.

The bold is why Gillibrand's explanation of her changes is so good. It's literally a mea culpa, her whole explanation is that she didn't have enough information or empathy and she changed by learning from and communicating with the people her previous views hurt. She doesn't even pretend to justify it like Clinton or that she never held the position like Bernie, she just admits she was wrong and goes into how she changed.

That's why she's so scary, she's not only willing to admit fault but she's also generally a step ahead of everyone else when it comes to political positioning. If she had Obama's oratory skill on top of her political insight she'd walk through the primary and into the Oval.

I liked her before, but I'm more impressed with seeing her operate now.

The bold is why Gillibrand's explanation of her changes is so good. It's literally a mea culpa, her whole explanation is that she didn't have enough information or empathy and she changed by learning from and communicating with the people her previous views hurt. She doesn't even pretend to justify it like Clinton or that she never held the position like Bernie, she just admits she was wrong and goes into how she changed.

That's why she's so scary, she's not only willing to admit fault but she's also generally a step ahead of everyone else when it comes to political positioning. If she had Obama's oratory skill on top of her political insight she'd walk through the primary and into the Oval.

I liked her before, but I'm more impressed with seeing her operate now.
Maybe you're right, I guess we'll see in 2020! It's why I'm interested in seeing how she and Cuomo will interact if they both run since they seem pretty similar.

pigeon

Banned
I decided I support Tulsi for president because if she wins she'll have to give up her seat in the House.

Fail upward in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom