• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo60

I wonder if the VA Senate race could end up looking like the 08 one.

Virginia_Senate_Election_Results_by_County%2C_2008.svg

Nah. It won't be similar to the 08 one. Some of those counties in SouthWestern Virigina will stay red most likely.

And it looks like another special election in a congressional district will be happening soon. This time in PA-10.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pennsylvania-congressman-to-be-named-drug-czar-by-donald-trump/

I doubt the democrats will do that well in this special election because trump won the district by like 36 points last year.

Wag

If anyone's interested, the iOS MSNBC app (there is no Android MSNBC app unfortunately) can now cast. So not only can you cast all their shows, but you can cast MSNBC live- which is great for me. I can now bring my chromecast to work and watch it live.

I wish the Xfinity TV app casted, but we know that's never going to happen.

SexyFish

Banned
Nancy Pelosi: 'Sean Spicer must be fired'

Washington (CNN)House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi called for the firing of White House press secretary Sean Spicer following his comments he made Tuesday at his briefing related to Adolf Hitler and the use chemical weapons.

"While Jewish families across America celebrate Passover, the chief spokesman of this White House is downplaying the horror of the Holocaust," she said in a statement. "Sean Spicer must be fired, and the President must immediately disavow his spokesman's statements. Either he is speaking for the President, or the President should have known better than to hire him."

kess

These Morning Consult polls aren't especially that great for this stuff. Also, Nevada.

But like, whoa at Heidi Heitkamp.

Never underestimate the power of American Lawnchairs.

Although being a "moderate" politican in an unexpected locale usually helps, I mean, look at Charlie Baker and Larry Hogan's approval ratings.

CCM's numbers seem terrible which is odd.

These Morning Consult polls aren't especially that great for this stuff. Also, Nevada.

But like, whoa at Heidi Heitkamp.

She's also a new Senator, so a lot of it is people who don't really know her. 42-37 leaves like ~20% of people with no opinion.

Jon Tester is also at 57%. Would not be shocked to see Heitkamp and Tester both be relatively safe compared to McCaskill/Baldwin/Donnelly

CCM's disapproval is still really high for a new Senator which surprises me.

The fact that no one knows who John Cornyn is still amuses me. He's the second most powerful Republican in the Senate!

kess

Anybody from Vermont have anything particular to say about Governor Phil Scott? He got elected as Republican by a pretty good margin in Bernieland.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
NC is back at it.

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/201...na-files-bill-make-gay-marriage-illegal-again

Three Republican lawmakers filed today a new bill, which seeks to ban gay marriage in North Carolina, CBS reports. The "Uphold Historical Marriage Act" aims to invalidate the U.S. Supreme Court's 2015 ruling on same-sex marriage, claiming they violated "constitutional bounds" when the Court dismantled Amendment One.

Larry Pittman, Michael Speciale and Carl Ford are the core sponsors of House Bill 780, which quotes the Christian Bible and states the Supreme Court overstepped "the decree of Almighty God that ‘a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become 22 one flesh. (Genesis 2:24, ESV)'" HB780 also argues the Supreme Court "abrogates the clear meaning and understanding of marriage in all societies throughout prior history."

If approved, the bill would make the Supreme Court's federal decision on gay marriage void in North Carolina. Same-sex marriages would become invalid, regardless of being conducted within or outside of the state.

Also this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ium=social&cmpid==socialflow-twitter-politics

Tillerson Asks Why U.S. Taxpayers Should Care About Ukraine

With one offhand remark, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson left European diplomats befuddled at a gathering in Italy.

”Why should U.S. taxpayers be interested in Ukraine?" Tillerson asked foreign ministers discussing Russia's intervention there at a Group of Seven gathering Tuesday in Lucca, Italy.

NC is back at it.

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/201...na-files-bill-make-gay-marriage-illegal-again

Three Republican lawmakers filed today a new bill, which seeks to ban gay marriage in North Carolina, CBS reports. The "Uphold Historical Marriage Act" aims to invalidate the U.S. Supreme Court's 2015 ruling on same-sex marriage, claiming they violated "constitutional bounds" when the Court dismantled Amendment One.

Larry Pittman, Michael Speciale and Carl Ford are the core sponsors of House Bill 780, which quotes the Christian Bible and states the Supreme Court overstepped "the decree of Almighty God that ‘a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become 22 one flesh. (Genesis 2:24, ESV)'" HB780 also argues the Supreme Court "abrogates the clear meaning and understanding of marriage in all societies throughout prior history."

If approved, the bill would make the Supreme Court's federal decision on gay marriage void in North Carolina. Same-sex marriages would become invalid, regardless of being conducted within or outside of the state.

You know that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa sees her future, and there's a line about "Fox turned into a hardcore sex channel so gradually I didn't even notice"? It's like that except it's the United States becoming an Evangelical Christian Theocracy and it's not funny because it's actually happening. Democracy would work a lot better if the average person wasn't a colossal moron.

Ac30

NC is back at it.

Also this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ium=social&cmpid==socialflow-twitter-politics

Tillerson Asks Why U.S. Taxpayers Should Care About Ukraine

With one offhand remark, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson left European diplomats befuddled at a gathering in Italy.

“Why should U.S. taxpayers be interested in Ukraine?” Tillerson asked foreign ministers discussing Russia’s intervention there at a Group of Seven gathering Tuesday in Lucca, Italy.

There's no way the top bill gets the 2/3 majority needed to override the veto from the governor. It'd be economic suicide.

Governor's usually a step down, yes. Doesn't mean that people don't do it that way (like Sam Brownback, who was also a Senator). It just means that you don't see a path forward for yourself in national politics or just want to retreat to state politics for a while to regroup.

As far as lining up for the presidency goes, Vice President is top, SecState is second, and a Senator of any kind is third.
I don't think Collins has any Presidential prospects given the state of the GOP. But this is off. Governor has been a more common platform to President than Senator, and probably the most common immediate prior role to being elected President.

There's no way the top bill gets the 2/3 majority needed to override the veto from the governor. It'd be economic suicide.

They won't even take it up in the legislature. It's just some uber-gerrymandered reps that do this kind of thing all the time.

Like 1/3rd of the actual language of the bill is scripture.

Sianos

"abrogates the clear meaning and understanding of marriage in all societies throughout prior history."

Let me guess, this will dissolve into an argument over what is considered a "society" and why only societies that worship their god in the exact same way count as real "civilized" societies.

For people who stress how important learning English is, Republicans continue to have a remarkable amount of policy contingent on really desperate attempts to play with definitions with no understanding of underlying semantic principles.

Zereta

FBI obtained FISA warrant to monitor former Trump adviser Carter Page

The FBI obtained a secret court order last summer to monitor the communications of an adviser to presidential candidate Donald Trump, part of an investigation into possible links between Russia and the campaign, law enforcement and other U.S. officials said.

The FBI and the Justice Department obtained the warrant targeting Carter Page’s communications after convincing a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court judge that there was probable cause to believe Page was acting as an agent of a foreign power, in this case Russia, according to the officials.

Drip drip drip

Elections are constantly called before the polls close, especially in districts like KS-04 where it's usually obvious immediately who's going to win.

Unless maybe you're calling back to those 2016 may mays and I'm missing the joke.

I don't know of any cases where this is true. If polls close at 7, usually elections will be called at like 7:01, never before

Only an hour left until polls close in Kansas and still not called.

Positive sign I guess.
They'll wait for the polls to close before calling it, even if it's a foregone conclusion.

There was actually some hullabaloo in the 80s-90s on the West Coast where people were pissed off that the news would call the presidential election before every state had the chance to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom