• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iran's former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad files presidential bid

Iran's former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has filed to run in the country's May presidential election, contradicting a recommendation from the nation's Supreme Leader to stay out of the race.
Associated Press journalists watched as stunned election officials processed Ahmadinejad's paperwork on Wednesday.
Ahmadinejad previously said he wasn't going to run after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei advised him not to. But many hard-liners in Iran seek a tough-talking candidate to rally around who can stand up to U.S. President Donald Trump.
Iran's moderate President Hassan Rouhani, who negotiated the nuclear deal with world powers, is expected to run for re-election.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-iran-president-ahmadinejad-20170412-story.html

God bless us all...

Iran's former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad files presidential bid

If I remember correctly, didn't Ahmadinejad suffer pretty heavily from a biased coverage of things he said? I have a friend who spoke Farsi and he regularly would point out how minced his words were by western media. Then again, he also has family who still live in Iran and has noted under the new President people are generally shifting towards being more progressive--especially young people in the country.

Didn't realize Iran has the same BS Russian system where term limits only apply to consecutive terms.

Isn't there also a somewhat unofficial rule where to get on the ballot you have to be approved by Ayatollah Khamenei?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't there also a somewhat unofficial rule where to get on the ballot you have to be approved by Ayatollah Khamenei?

It's not even unofficial. To become a candidate for the Iranian presidency, you need to be approved by the Guardian Council, a twelve member body where six members are appointed by the Supreme Leader (presently Khamenei) and six are appointed by Parliament. The six members appointed by the Supreme Leader can be dismissed at will, and are entirely dependent on his approval to retain their position - making them just de facto representatives of the Supreme Leader and in doing so giving the Supreme Leader a veto on all candidates.

The kicker is that while Parliament can vote to approve the other six, they have to be nominated by the head of the Iranian judiciary... who is himself appointed by the Supreme Leader. So six are controlled by the Supreme Leader outright, and six are a compromise between Parliament and the Supreme Leader, except access to Parliament is controlled by the Guardian Council with all candidates requiring vetting, which as you can see is dominated by the Supreme Leader...

Basically, yeah. Very, very slowly, over time, Iran is becoming more liberal, in that a few reformist candidates slip through the gaps for Parliament, the six members of the Supreme Council that need Parliamentary approval as well become ever so slightly more moderated as a result, and then a few more reformist candidates slip through the gaps as a result. But it's a process of fighting for inches, not miles.

Parham

Banned
Curious to know what Ahmadinejad's plan is here. I can't imagine his relationship with Khamenei has improved since the end of his term, considering Khamenei publicly advised Ahmadinejad not to run late last year.

Basically, yeah. Very, very slowly, over time, Iran is becoming more liberal, in that a few reformist candidates slip through the gaps for Parliament, the six members of the Supreme Council that need Parliamentary approval as well become ever so slightly more moderated as a result, and then a few more reformist candidates slip through the gaps as a result. But it's a process of fighting for inches, not miles.

Oh I didn't necessarily mean their government officials were more liberal. I meant the people. Apparently a lot of young adults in Iran very much want to move towards a more secular government that works with the west.

If I remember correctly, didn't Ahmadinejad suffer pretty heavily from a biased coverage of things he said? I have a friend who spoke Farsi and he regularly would point out how minced his words were by western media. Then again, he also has family who still live in Iran and has noted under the new President people are generally shifting towards being more progressive--especially young people in the country.
I don't know about western media, but Ahmadinejad is famous for his lies in Iran. For example months ago he said he won't be a candidate for this election and won't support anyone. But now he's a candidate and he supports another person too!
Millions of Iranians (like me) hate him, but now even his friends are attacking him because of not listening to leader's recommendation about election.
About current president (Hassan Rouhani) lots of people love him, but he has lots of haters too. And sadly there is a giant propaganda against him in newspapers and TV programs. He did great things like reducing Iran's inflation from 40% to under 10%, but he had some flaws too. I hope to see him as next president, because can't imagine persons like Ahmadinejad or Raisi Vs a person like Trump!

Chumley

Banned
"The relationship has deteriorated" according to Putin.

Sure, buddy. I swear that all of this shit is a smokescreen to try and blunt the damage of the investigation.

I don't know about western media, but Ahmadinejad is famous for his lies in Iran. For example months ago he said he won't be a candidate for this election and won't support anyone. But now he's a candidate and he supports another person too!
Millions of Iranians (like me) hate him, but now even his friends are attacking him because of not listening to leader's recommendation about election.

I remember he definitely had 2 different personas. When he was talking to his base he was a lot more aggressively anti-America, but when he was speaking at the UN or anything like that he was a lot more passive and respectful. I remember one time, like 24 hours after giving a quite eloquent and thoughtful speech to an international audience he was legitimately saying Death to America to supporters in Iran or some craziness. The guy seemed all over the place, but it seemed a lot like Western Media just never liked him.

"The relationship has deteriorated" according to Putin.

Sure, buddy. I swear that all of this shit is a smokescreen to try and blunt the damage of the investigation.

Yeah, the tiny bit of damage the missiles did to a non-Russian base must have really tested their friendship.

special-election.png

Special Elections since Trump got elected.

HD-85 was the surprising one.

Curious to know what Ahmadinejad's plan is here. I can't imagine his relationship with Khamenei has improved since the end of his term, considering Khamenei publicly advised Ahmadinejad not to run late last year.

I'm laughing thinking about Trump trying to pronounce anything in this post.

Isnt he still popular with the rural segment of Iran? But I highly doubt Ahmedinejad can win, as his bellicose attitude while making the hardliners happy, worsened the economic situation and he wasnt able to lift the sanctions, which by the way affected the rural and working class more. Rouhani promised to get the sanctions lifted, and he achieved on it. Thats a mighty accomplishment, and showed that tough talk is worthless.

But then, Obama pulled US out of economic depression and stopped the wars and people voted against his favored choice. Humans are mostly fickle and morons.

tbm24

He was probably pretty gleeful about bragging. Trump is so immature, does he even realize the gravity of what he did or is he just reveling in the news?
The main take away from that conversation is he mixed up Syria and Iraq as he's trying to brag about launching missles like Xi is gonna go back to China and fawn over his machoness.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So, he schedule to launch the missiles while having with desert with Xi Jinping on purpose as some sort of juvenile "power move". Am I reading this correctly?

No, not really. He was in the middle of a pre-planned diplomatic dinner when his military advisers told him they were ready to strike. Then he approached the situation, as always, with all the grace of an ice skating giraffe with one leg.

That wouldn't end Trump.

If anything, I think launching the missiles towards Syria was the most harmful thing he did to his chances of re-election.

All he won back was the approval of Republicans who voted for him reluctantly. Meanwhile, he permanently pissed off the unique element of his coalition - the nativists & conspiracy theorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom