• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese media:

Te-Ping Chen‏Verified account @tepingchen 7h7 hours ago
More
How the news Trump won't label China a currency manipulator plays here:
"Eating his words!"
"Trump slaps self in face, again"

THEY'RE LAUGHING AT US WITH OUR WEAK LEADER, FOLKS!

C9PeUXrXoAUdxGV.jpg

NO SHIT EINSTEIN

Chinese media:

THEY'RE LAUGHING AT US WITH OUR WEAK LEADER, FOLKS!

C9PeUXrXoAUdxGV.jpg

NO SHIT EINSTEIN
I love all the tough talk "No one respects us!" that came from conservatives whining about Obama's foreign policy.

Pretty sure foreign US approval jumped by like 8000 points when Obama was sworn in everywhere except for like, Pakistan.

Dude won a Nobel Peace Prize for not being George Bush.

2018 - D House
2020 - D Pres, D Senate
2022 - Rs reclaim the House due to liberals either getting complacent and disillusioned in spite of an accomplished first two years

Upshot is if we pick up enough governorships and legislatures in key states we could have a neutral or even mildly favorable House battleground throughout the next decade. I firmly believe Obama would have had another two years of full Democratic control had the maps not changed so drastically between 2010 and 2012.

We need to make sure we have an entire legislative agenda ready to roll out on day 0, then. Get everybody running to agree to it in advance, pass literally everything in the first week, try and get it implemented and the kinks ironed out by 2022.

I really hope that's being worked on.

kess

Whatever comes out of this seems like something that Trump will be proud of for a week until China starts reneging on it and throwing its weight around elsewhere.

Unilateral actions based on the the confidence of leaders aren't going to be binding, we found that out after having two world Wars.

We need to make sure we have an entire legislative agenda ready to roll out on day 0, then. Get everybody running to agree to it in advance, pass literally everything in the first week, try and get it implemented and the kinks ironed out by 2022.

I really hope that's being worked on.
Movement on the single-payer bill is encouraging even though I expect it to be watered down to a public option by the time Ds win Congress again (which whatever, I'm fine with and it does far less to upend the system). Same with something like free college, or resembling it well enough.

Immigration reform (Senate in 2013) and cap & trade (House in 2009) have already each passed one house of Congress so we already have the blueprints there, Obama had about a million jobs/infrastructure packages you can pilfer from, and a bill for a $15 minimum wage would be like a page long. With a trifecta in 2021 Democrats need to get as much done as possible.

Movement on the single-payer bill is encouraging even though I expect it to be watered down to a public option by the time Ds win Congress again (which whatever, I'm fine with and it does far less to upend the system). Same with something like free college.
Those are both good, but we need a whole suite of shit covering most of our policy agenda ready to be voted on. If we get back the house, Senate, and presidency, we're going to have an extremely narrow window get get stuff done. I wanna see voting access, justice reform, financial stability, immigration, environmental everything, all at once, all on day 1. Get it all scored and shit beforehand.

Ed: Oh, and they really shouldn't allow any Republican additions or amendments. They have vested political interest in making it all work worse.

He will end up doing it. He's a fucking bully. Such a vile human being. Treating affordability of health care for millions as a hostage. Fucking evil.
There was a poll earlier done by Kaiser which showed that people dont want Obamacare to fail, and that it should be made better not worse. Trump will soon realize if not already that it's the Congress that takes the President hostage, not the other way around. After KS04 and townhall mania, I highly doubt Republicans in congress will let him. FC, sure. But that random GOPer in that R+5 district? Nah.

If by miracle Trump repeals the benefits, GOP is in for even more shellacking in 2018.

Wilsongt

Love how Trump is boasting about more jobs, when we just had one of the lowest job reports in a while, retail is hemorraging jobs, and he is about to take a lawn mower to the federal government.

Does he expect everyone to run and join the military for a job? This isn't the 1930 and 1940s where people are proud of their country and want to "do their part".

DonShula

Jeff lord

"Think of trump as the MLk of healthcare"

I honestly select other channels over CNN when I see Lord come on. I know CNN trots him out to offend because they think it makes good TV, but he goes too far. I don't want to waste my time listening to his takes because he's just there to balance a panel, not provide insight. I welcome the input from the more moderate Republicans, but Lord is pure trash.

A couple nights ago during a discussion on Spicer's Hitler gaffe, Lord said "yeah Spicer was wrong on that one but also let me take this opportunity to ask that people stop calling Trump Hitler because it's so unfair." If that isn't a microcosm of the problems with debate news television in 2017, I don't know what is.

My fear of Trump has been greatly reduced at this point, simply because of how lazy and stupid he is. All these big evil ideas he had like the deportation force, the tax reform, the AHCA, etc etc, these all take someone willing to put in the effort, work, and political capitol to make happen.

Donny just thinks he can wave his hands and make things happen, spurned to decisions entirely based on whatever the topic of the day is on Fox News or CNN, then he forgets about whatever makes him mad when he goes to play golf.

Speak of the devil:

Things will work out fine between the U.S.A. and Russia. At the right time everyone will come to their senses & there will be lasting peace!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/852510810287075329

Teggy

My fear of Trump has been greatly reduced at this point, simply because of how lazy and stupid he is. All these big evil ideas he had like the deportation force, the tax reform, the AHCA, etc etc, these all take someone willing to put in the effort, work, and political capitol to make happen.

Donny just thinks he can wave his hands and make things happen, spurned to decisions entirely based on whatever the topic of the day is on Fox News or CNN, then he forgets about whatever makes him mad when he goes to play golf.

Actually that deportation force is being quietly built up, with 33,000 beds waiting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...7f59c2-1f87-11e7-be2a-3a1fb24d4671_story.html

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not an expert on the mechanics of this but I've read Yglesias say he think that Trump/Price can sabotage the exchanges through executive action and the main achievement of the ACA will be the Medicaid expansion. Not an expert on the details tho

Even under Obama they said the federal marketplace will go in the next few years, and that states should set up their own. So that's not a surprise at all. Timing can be made more aggressive, but it wont be a surprise.

Oh, I assumed it was Medicare buy-in available to all, not YOU ARE GETTING MEDICARE WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

That definitely won't pass. A buy in easily can.

I don't know how you do buy-in since it's based on paying taxes for life. So they need to have a good estimate on numbers of enrollees so that they can adjust tax income accordingly. If it's an at will step in step out plan, then it's harder to predict and it can be havok.

NeoXChaos

https://decisiondeskhq.com/news/rrh...-desk-hq-ossoff-39-handel-15-gray-12-in-ga06/

Overall, the RRH poll finds Jon Ossoff in the lead with 39% of the vote, and a demolition derby of Republicans competing for second place in an assumed runoff: Karen Handel has 15%, Bob Gray 12%, Dan Moody 11%, and Judson Hill 10%. They also surveyed another Democrat, Ron Slotin, who earned 4% overall in the poll, and David Abroms, a Republican being backed by Evan McMullin, who earned 3%. Bruce Levell (R) was also surveyed but earned 0%. Combining the share all Democratic candidates and Republicans candidates earned, the Republicans lead slightly with 51% to 43%.

Actually that deportation force is being quietly built up, with 33,000 beds waiting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...7f59c2-1f87-11e7-be2a-3a1fb24d4671_story.html

From the article:

But these plans could be held up by the prohibitive costs outlined in the internal report and resistance in Congress, where many lawmakers are already balking at approving billions in spending on the wall and additional border security measures.
A draft outline with ideas doesn't equal action. There has to be money behind it and right now you have a congress basically saying nope to even slight border wall funding.

Vixdean

The internal strife over healthcare we're seeing in the GOP should be a warning to Democrats to begin working on a consensus for future healthcare reform in anticipation of retaking power. There's going to be a big split between Democrats who want to overhaul with single payer and those who just want to move Obamacare further to the left (increasing subsidies, public option, etc...).

kess

Besides whatever notions of patriotism that Trump feels, I suppose the idea of funding the military at the expense of the rest of government appeals to him because it's based on loyalty.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Besides whatever notions of patriotism that Trump feels, I suppose the idea of funding the military at the expense of the rest of government appeals to him because it's based on loyalty.

I think the military is also simplistic enough in concept for Trump to comprehend.

Everything else quickly blossoms into an array of subtle and complicated conflicts that someone like Trump isn't intellectually capable of sorting through. But the idea that the country with the biggest stockpile of bombs and guns is a tremendous country, the best country, now that makes sense.

(Of course, application of military force in a global context is also subtle and complicated, but who knew?)

Since the ACA ended up being a good thing for so many millions of people, do you guys think american voters are more open to the idea of changing americas healthcare system?

Hindl

Since the ACA ended up being a good thing for so many millions of people, do you guys think american voters are more open to the idea of changing americas healthcare system?

No. Dems will push a change through, the public will hate it and put Republicans in charge to get rid of it, only to realize that even though they thought they hated it they actually rely on it, and scream at Republians to not get rid of it

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The Guardian has been told the FBI and the CIA were slow to appreciate the extensive nature of contacts between Trump’s team and Moscow ahead of the US election. This was in part due to US law that prohibits US agencies from examining the private communications of American citizens without warrants. “They are trained not to do this,” the source stressed.

“It looks like the [US] agencies were asleep,” the source added. “They [the European agencies] were saying: ‘There are contacts going on between people close to Mr Trump and people we believe are Russian intelligence agents. You should be wary of this.’

“The message was: ‘Watch out. There’s something not right here.’”

Welp.

Actually, the best case scenario is two dems getting 22% vote each. Instead of Ossoof getting 44%.

I still stand by prediction that if Ossoff doesn't win on Tuesday, he will be the underdog in the runoff.

It'd be nice if we got two dems in the runoff, but right now it just looks like the other dem is just getting a few points. Ossoff could use that.

Lol nope, you have to forcibly give them better health care for them to appreciate it, and even then that may not work.

Ernest

Banned
There is absolutely no good reason to do this.
Not to you, because you're a decent human being. To people like Devos and Trump, higher education should only go to rich people who can afford it.

Poor students don't have lobbyists to sway people like her, not that she would be, but it's such a stacked deck - whatever makes rich people more money is the side this administration is going to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom