• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am looking for in a '16 pres candidate or a '17 gov candidate (hold the door) is very different than what I'm looking for in a '20 pres candidate. (break the doors down)

I don't get the "oh boy" reaction. I don't want to fucking get the hopes up of all these people desiring immediate results who then get angry and disillusioned when none of it gets delivered.

Your issues with Perriello are literally he made a gaffe once, I don't trust him, and he actually has a plan he's proposing and people will get angry if he doesn't implement it.

Versus Northam who has no plan, no dynamism, and has given no one a reason to vote FOR him to make up for his absolutely lack of any charisma. He's a piece of wood. But if you want to bet on wood that is polling worse than the actual dynamic candidate with a real plan that is at least a first step in terms of bargaining with the state legislature (especially if the HoD flips, which, yeah, hard-but-possible), again, it's your state and your funeral.

kirblar

Your issues with Perriello are literally he made a gaffe once, I don't trust him, and he actually has a plan he's proposing and people will get angry if he doesn't implement it.

Versus Northam who has no plan, no dynamism, and has given no one a reason to vote FOR him to make up for his absolutely lack of any charisma. He's a piece of wood. But if you want to bet on wood that is polling worse than the actual dynamic candidate with a real plan that is at least a first step in terms of bargaining with the state legislature (especially if the HoD flips, which, yeah, hard-but-possible), again, it's your state and your funeral.
YOU CANT BARGAIN WITH THEM.

Have we not learned this over the past 23 years?

If he doesn't bother to have a campaign, he's going to lose this by default. And that's looking likely.

That doesn't mean I still can't have a preference.

I'm not saying that.

What is Northam telling voters why they should vote for him. What is he doing to tell voters why he should vote him if he happens with the primary besides I Am A Democrat.

kirblar

Why would insurers want a shorter sign up period? Wouldn't it result in fewer customers?
They want to minimize how many Obamacare signups they have.
I'm not saying that.

What is Northam telling voters why they should vote for him. What is he doing to tell voters why he should vote him if he happens with the primary besides I Am A Democrat.
He's not doing anything at this point, which is why I think he's probably going to lose since he doesn't seem capable of running a competent statewide campaign at this points. IIRC, the fundraising and campaigning shackles have been off for at least a month or two.

My preference likely doesn't matter. I still have one.

If your goal is to use the governor's mansion as a fortress to prevent Republican legislation, it follows to vote for the more electable candidate. If you have policy disputes with the more electable candidate it makes sense to support his less electable opponent.

They want to minimize how many Obamacare signups they have.

He's not doing anything at this point, which is why I think he's probably going to lose since he doesn't seem capable of running a competent statewide campaign at this points. IIRC, the fundraising and campaigning shackles have been off for at least a month or two.

My preference likely doesn't matter. I still have one.

I legitimately don't understand your preference because it seems based on things that aren't real.

Like, how is Ralph going to get these things through the state legislature?

Background checks. In his first weeks in the Virginia senate, Ralph met Virginia Tech survivors who came to Richmond to advocate for commonsense gun safety reform and he has been partners with them ever sense. He proudly voted to close the gun show loophole and to keep the One-Handgun-A-Month limit. Ralph will continue fighting to close the gun show loophole and has promised to reinstate the commonwealth's successful One-Handgun-A-Month policy if elected governor, limiting the number of handguns an individual can purchase.

Assault weapons. As an Army doctor during the First Gulf War, Ralph saw what assault weapons do to the human body. As a doctor, he's held dying children in his arms, victims of gun violence. He knows we cannot afford any more Virginia Techs or Newtowns. We have to act now with universal background checks, an assault weapons ban and smaller clips.

Renewable energy production. Ralph believes in prioritizing clean energy innovation. In the state senate, Ralph held electric companies accountable by voting for policies that, if passed, would have cracked down on utilities profiting on renewable energy incentives by purchasing credits for power generated outside Virginia instead of investing in the commonwealth. He also voted in favor of solar power and wind energy legislation, diversifying Virginia's energy economy and reducing the state's carbon footprint. Ralph will remove barriers to the development and use of clean energy by encouraging competition and energy choice while making it easier to decentralize generation and build an electric and clean vehicle infrastructure.

Criminal justice reform. For too long, Virginia's treated white people by one set of standards and people of color by another. We've made a lot of progress to close the gap, but we've still got a lot of work to do. Equal protection under the law is a right that should be shared by all. We must change sentencing laws that disproportionately hurt people of color and practices that lead to systematic inequality–especially at the intersection of race and income. Ralph will do this by reforming drug laws that do long-term damage to communities of color. He will do away with the practice of suspending a driver's license simply because a person can't afford to pay court costs. By taking away an individual's transportation, you take away their ability to pay the fine and entrap them in a never-ending cycle of fines and fees. Ralph will also continue to fight for the restoration of rights, because, in a democracy, we should be encouraging more people to vote, not less.

Immigration. One in 9 Virginians was born outside the United States. We're a community of immigrants, and Ralph believes our strength lies in its diversity. As such, he opposes legislation that would bar individuals from entering the state based on race, religion, or country of origin—legislation like President Trump's Muslim ban. Ralph supports the work of the Virginia Office of Newcomer Services, which helps immigrant and refugee communities gain economic self-sufficiency and social integration.

Wow look at all of these things that will never pass a GOP legislature. Won't his supporters be pissed when he doesn't pass them??

Hillary promised a bunch of shit that would never pass. That's the point of running a campaign! Any campaign! You set your agenda!!

kirblar

You are comparing running as a full-throated progressive candidate with campaign boilerplate planks. You cannot be fucking serious w/ the comparison.

You are comparing running as a full-throated progressive candidate with campaign boilerplate planks. You cannot be fucking serious w/ the comparison.

You're the one who said that people would be disappointed if their candidate didn't deliver, so yeah, I am?

Every candidate promises things that, even with full control of government, will have to go through the washing machine. But for some reason, with Perriello, you have taken specific umbrage with him having a platform. Because it's "full throated" instead of "boilerplate."

I legitimately cannot wrap my head around your POV. It makes absolutely no sense.

kirblar

You're the one who said that people would be disappointed if their candidate didn't deliver, so yeah, I am?

Every candidate promises things that, even with full control of government, will have to go through the washing machine. But for some reason, with Perriello, you have taken specific umbrage with him having a platform. Because it's "full throated" instead of "boilerplate."

I legitimately cannot wrap my head around your POV. It makes absolutely no sense.
When you are running as a candidate where you are going to be a bulwark against the GOP Horde, I have different expectations and goals in a potential candidate than if I think you can actually get shit done while you're in office.

My problem with raising expectations (a la Bernie and "FREE ICE CREAM AND UNICORNS FOR EVERYONE") is that I expect a nasty backlash when those things don't get implemented if/when you win the election. (I also expect a nasty backlash if you DO get stuff done (like Obama) but I'm much more willing to take the hit there since there's a good chance you'll be able to solidify a lot of things over time.

Effect

Cross-posting from the bomb thread.

So does Trump's response to being asked if he authorized the drop sound like he didn't and also that he didn't even know it was happening or happened? Just want to make sure as I haven't had a chance to listen to the news today until now. That was my take away from the clip they showed.

Cross-posting from the bomb thread.

So does Trump's response to being asked if he authorized the drop sound like he didn't and also that he didn't even know it was happening or happened? Just want to make sure as I haven't had a chance to listen to the news today until now. That was my take away from the clip they showed.

Both Trump and Spicer's statements leave that possibility on the table.

Also:

@TheOnion
New Bomb Capable Of Creating 1,500 New Terrorists In Single Blast
http://trib.al/S4pNYzu
C9UFTH_XoAAJCm6.jpg

When you are running as a candidate where you are going to be a bulwark against the GOP Horde, I have different expectations and goals in a potential candidate than if I think you can actually get shit done while you're in office.

My problem with raising expectations (a la Bernie and "FREE ICE CREAM AND UNICORNS FOR EVERYONE") is that I expect a nasty backlash when those things don't get implemented if/when you win the election. (I also expect a nasty backlash if you DO get stuff done (like Obama) but I'm much more willing to take the hit there since there's a good chance you'll be able to solidify a lot of things over time.

So if you want someone who is just a bulwark, why not go for the more electable candidate?

In other news!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...m-virginia-governors-race-donald-trump-215025

”Politically, there was no question, I was under-informed," Northam says now about his votes for Bush. He said as the president of VMI's honor corps, he couldn't lie when a New York Times reporter asked him if he supported Bush. ”My honor is very important to me," he says. . He credits his wife with moving him since then in a more liberal direction politically. At the same time, Northam says he can't remember if he backed Democrats in any governor or Senate races. And rumors about his political leanings before his career persist: there's a running joke in Richmond that the first Democrat he ever voted for was himself.

I'd prefer to get a warm body in the mansion in a way that doesn't leave you with a disillusioned Dem electorate down the line.

Another great way to get a disillusioned Dem electorate is giving them a candidate who sucks.

"I want a bulwark against the Republican legislature, but I'm not voting for the candidate that is polling better against the leading Republican or the one with the greatest potential to run up the margins to try to flip the House of Delegates. I'm voting for the one who used to be a Republican with no actual message that's giving no one a reason to vote for him and one that can't name the last Democrat he voted for for Senate or Governor."

This makes no sense!

kirblar

In other news!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...m-virginia-governors-race-donald-trump-215025

Another great way to get a disillusioned Dem electorate is giving them a candidate who sucks.
Saying things like this is not going to make me like you.
But the biggest applause of the night from the audience of 300 comes when Perriello criticizes his own party.

”The Democratic party has been a huge part of the problem and has been utterly complicit in a climate-destructive, job-destructive policy here in Virginia."
Our unemployment rate is 4.5%. GOP has had control of the legislature for nearly two decades. (I really hate populism, if you hadn't noticed.)

What if I told you I think both candidates suck this time out and I'm picking the one I think sucks least? Just like in '16?

Saying things like this is not going to make me like you.

Our unemployment rate is 4.5%. GOP has had control of the legislature for nearly two decades. (I really hate populism, if you hadn't noticed.)

What if I told you I think both candidates suck this time out and I'm picking the one I think sucks least? Just like in '16?

The one that sucks less happens to be the one who is polling better. But if you don't like populism, that's actually a reason I understand why you don't like Perriello versus the other stuff which makes no sense. So I respect that even if I disagree!

kirblar

The one that sucks less happens to be the one who is polling better. But if you don't like populism, that's actually a reason I understand why you don't like Perriello versus the other stuff which makes no sense. So I respect that even if I disagree!
You... didn't notice that over the past year and a half? :p

kirblar

No, but that's different than, I'm not voting for him because he made a gaffe or for electability. If you actually don't like the candidate's policies, it makes sense to vote for the other one.
There hasn't been much coverage at all, so until that article you just threw up, there hasn't been much meaty to point to to explain the "every time he speaks I dislike him more" thing that's been going on for me w/ him for a while. (that I knew wasn't a "bitch eating crackers thing"!)

I latch onto the 9/11 quote because it was literally my first introduction to him so it sticks out.

Wilsongt

This tiny dick fool trying to get into a fight with NK is going to get thousands of people killed.

"Hillary is a warhawk" my fucking gay ass.

Fuck this administration.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't know how people can live in Seoul. I know the situation has been unchanging for decades, and I'm sure many jobs require you to be in Seoul, but I wouldn't want to risk a 5% chance the situation changes at some point in my lifetime.

This tiny dick fool trying to get into a fight with NK is going to get thousands of people killed.

"Hillary is a warhawk" my fucking gay ass.

Fuck this administration.

Millions. It will likely get Millions of people killed if we went to war with NK. And a good number of them would be from SK and NK.
That and SCOTUS. We already knew Scalia's seat was open, now Kennedy's seat could be on the line too. Say goodbye to abortion and gay marriage. Reversing Citizens United and Shelby County? LOL, good luck with that.

I want to find that guy I got into it with on Facebook who advocated voting for Stein and claimed 1) Trump would never be able to confirm anyone to the right of Garland due to "GRID. LOCK." (His emphasis, not mine) and 2) This doesn't matter because "it takes about four years for cases to reach the Supreme Court anyway" (I don't follow this logic at all, 1 it isn't true, 2 SCOTUS appointments are lifetime so ???).

And punch him in the dick. Same with anyone who thought it'd be better to wait it out for a more liberal nominee. Fuck them.

I found my new favorite politician. I see a bright future for this man.

Brian McDowell, a former contestant on NBC’s “The Apprentice” who just filed a petition to run for office last month, was caught on tape asking a woman to sleep with him, slurring his words as he spoke.

“Let me tell you right now. You should fuck me. It would really be good,” McDowell says in the video. “Listen, you never know.”

“There are human errors and even Jesus dropped the cross three times,” McDowell said. “I’m not running to be the pope. I’m running to make New Jersey more affordable.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom