• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, legitimately, they can't pass this bill if the parliamentarian rules against using budget reconciliation for aspects of the bill (which is extremely likely), and they're going to need to find 60 votes to pass this bill as a whole. I don't see them overruling the parliamentarian, so I don't see where they get the 60 votes for this bill.

I actually don't even know if they're going to get 50 votes here because of the Medicaid provisions. Like, I expect that the hard-right like Lee and Paul will fall in line, but the Medicaid provisions are going to be huge sticking points with those in the caucus that actually had states that passed Medicaid. And defunding Planned Parenthood is already a non-starter for Collins and Murkowski.

I think that something will pass, for sure. I do not think it will be this House bill.

Mitch will change the rules. If Ryan and the WH are pushing hard for this then I can see him breaking.

I mean, no, the whole point of them using budget reconciliation is explicitly to not do this.

Mitch will change the rules. If Ryan and the WH are pushing hard for this then I can see him breaking.

If he were to change the rules, he'd just remove the filibuster and he's never even teased doing this. There would be no need to make drastic changes to the budget reconciliation process if he was already up to changing the rules.

kirblar

If he were to change the rules, he'd just remove the filibuster and he's never even teased doing this. There would be no need to make drastic changes to the budget reconciliation process if he was already up to changing the rules.
He doesn't want to change the rules. He wants the Dems to do their work for them w/ the fillibuster so they don't have to vote against their own party on this shit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He doesn't want to change the rules. He wants the Dems to do their work for them w/ the fillibuster so they don't have to vote against their own party on this shit.

Pretty much. The guys in the Senate aren't the Tea Party types, they want to keep their jobs next cycle. This bill goes through and they see a 2006-style wave and who knows how many of them will go in the process.

They need the bill to die in the Senate, but they also need the Dems to take the blame to keep the Tea Party off their back.

Jonathan Karl‏Verified account @jonkarl 36m36 minutes ago

.@TomCottonAR told me the GOP bill could be worse than Obamacare: "Insurance rates could go up and americans could have even less control"

April recess gonna be fun.

C6fwIppWgAAx77B.jpg:large

Diablos

That's why I used the word breaking. He could finally succumb to their demands if the House GOP and WH move full steam ahead on this.

pigeon

Banned
Frankly if this bill were going to pass I assume at least ONE SENATOR would be saying they think it could pass the Senate

kirblar

Pretty much. The guys in the Senate aren't the Tea Party types, they want to keep their jobs next cycle. This bill goes through and they see a 2006-style wave and who knows how many of them will go in the process.

They need the bill to die in the Senate, but they also need the Dems to take the blame to keep the Tea Party off their back.
Freedom Caucus opposing this means it's not even making the Senate right now. They can't whip this shit because no one wants to vote for it.

The 2006/2010 wave is about to happen and they know it. They're wasting their time because Ryan and Trump are both incompetent. McConnell is not.

banktree

Banned
Freedom Caucus opposing this means it's not even making the Senate right now. They can't whip this shit because no one wants to vote for it.

The 2006/2010 wave is about to happen and they know it. They're wasting their time because Ryan and Trump are both incompetent. McConnell is not.

And Hillary is totally going to be elected guys!

It's extremely premature to say that Democrats are going to do anything but continue their spiral considering how the last election turned out, the disarray of the party, and the math of 2018.

BREAKING

NBC Politics‏Verified account @NBCPolitics 7m7 minutes ago
JUST IN: Washington AG to announce state will take legal action challenging Pres. Trump's revised travel ban executive order on immigration

Ok this is interesting. It's rare to see a GOPer paint the ACA in that light

It's not going anywhere in the Senate, not sure why people think it'll pass.

Blader

It's extremely premature to say that Democrats are going to do anything but continue their spiral considering how the last election turned out, the disarray of the party, and the math of 2018.

If your focus is entirely on the Senate and nothing else, then yes, the math in 2018 looks bad.

Jeels

Check out Paul Ryan explaining why Obamacare needs to go..

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/839890397019127808

I had a good laugh watching the video. At the same time, it's pretty frightening to see his mindset.

This is so stupid. If it doesn't work, why do employers encourage their employees to be healthy as a part of their entire health insurance compensation package? You literally get credits for being healthy. It's because you subsidize people who aren't healthy. And it's because it works.

The "math" of 2018 is that they walk into it at an advantage.

broz0rs

It's not going anywhere in the Senate, not sure why people think it'll pass.

I learned not to discount shitty outcomes anymore after the Trump and Brexit wins. Plus, Republicans have fallen in line to everything the past decade even after public declarations they'll do otherwise.

This is so stupid. If it doesn't work, why do employers encourage their employees to be healthy as a part of their entire health insurance compensation package? You literally get credits for being healthy. It's because you subsidize people who aren't healthy. And it's because it works.

He's also inadvertently explaining how insurance really works. Sucks he has to be so heartless against sick and older people though

Gotchaye

Of course, nobody's going to be fooled by this. First, these are the people who were furious with Republicans for failing to stop Obama when there was literally no way for them to stop Obama other than by defaulting on the US debt and shutting down the government permanently. They're going to judge on results rather than on how hard Senators pretend to try. Second, conservative media is actually pretty good about pointing out when conservative policy is being held back due to Republicans not being willing to violate the right norms.

kirblar

Unless a 9/11 happens (and even then Trump's probably too incompetent to leverage it) the entirety of US political history says you're wrong.

Voters are ignorant and reactionary.

sangreal

Check out Paul Ryan explaining why Obamacare needs to go..

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/839890397019127808

I had a good laugh watching the video. At the same time, it's pretty frightening to see his mindset.

the fact that Paul Ryan doesn't understand that health insurance relies on healthy people paying for sick people explains a lot about his shitty bill

They would have to nuke the filibuster, the byrd rule is codified not just a senate rule

I learned not to discount shitty outcomes anymore after the Trump and Brexit wins. Plus, Republicans have fallen in line to everything the past decade even after public declarations they'll do otherwise.

Signing off on the repeal without a full replacement (which would normally requires 60 votes) is political suicide. Obamacare is not limited to the "coastal elites", they pull the rug and shit hits the fan.

All of this is happening BEFORE the CBO rating, which will give more Rs leverage to bail on the bill.

I guess they'll just have to come up with a "better" solution.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Eh, they can "try" to pass the bill, watch it fail, blame the Dems in red states for it not passing, and then go on to the other parts of their agenda, and hope ACA (without fixes) ends up starting to fall apart in 2018. They're not going to scuttle their entire agenda over ACA.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eh, they can "try" to pass the bill, watch it fail, blame the Dems in red states for it not passing, and then go on to the other parts of their agenda, and hope ACA (without fixes) ends up starting to fall apart in 2018. They're not going to scuttle their entire agenda over ACA.

I disagree. They campaigned on it. They guaranteed it would happen. That plays a major role here.

What is their agenda? Do they have one?

Hindl

ACA repeal was like half of their agenda when they were campaigning

teiresias

Healthcare -> tax reform -> infrastructure

But, for some reason, they've repeatedly boxed themselves into saying that it MUST be done in this order.

Not to mention the first and the last can only really be done in ways that are anathema to the Freedom Caucus.

Geist-

Ogodei

This law won't pass. This has revolt from everyone.

There are 3 sets of stakeholders- Insurance companies, providers, consumers- and they have the latter two staunchly against this. (Insurance companies are more middling: http://www.businessinsider.com/insu...e-shield-raise-objections-to-trumpcare-2017-3 )

The better metric is: who out there is enthusiastically in support of this, that is not an elected official or somebody appointed by an elected official? The base that's fully in the tank is on the side of the Koch brothers in thinking this is too sissy, everybody else is against the bill for being too dangerous in one way or another.

I haven't seen a soul that wasn't a congressional Republican or Trump Admin come out and back this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Of course, nobody's going to be fooled by this. First, these are the people who were furious with Republicans for failing to stop Obama when there was literally no way for them to stop Obama other than by defaulting on the US debt and shutting down the government permanently. They're going to judge on results rather than on how hard Senators pretend to try. Second, conservative media is actually pretty good about pointing out when conservative policy is being held back due to Republicans not being willing to violate the right norms.

Oh of course, I'm just getting into what's likely their thinking. These guys can't be looking at the town halls that have been happening in conservative districts and think that a repeal will go over well. The guys in the Senate are generally career types. They're counting on the fact that the Tea Party guys make up a smaller amount of the population of their states than the people ready to riot if a repeal happens (which is more than likely true).

Odds are this will wind up hurting their House members more than their Senate members.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why does the GOP push hard for tax cuts for only the rich? Is it campaign contribution related?

Plinko

Okay, but since when have they cared about evidence for anything else?

There's no economic gain to teaching creationism, for example, and ample science debunking it, and yet many of them believe it and push it into laws. So it's not like they're into creationism for money

Vixdean

Every time the GOP gets into power, they cut taxes on the rich and make entitlement programs worse. It's never benefited the economy at large in any way and only created a larger problem that Democrats have to fix down the road.

Okay, but since when have they cared about evidence for anything else?

There's no economic gain to teaching creationism, for example, and ample science debunking it, and yet many of them believe it and push it into laws. So it's not like they're into creationism for money

Because its easier to co-opt people who have already been indoctrinated by religion.

Plinko

Plus they are very corporate and want to privatize many things.

Republicans are believers in Christian capitalism. The rich are deserving of the grace of God.

The "prosperity gospel" that has destroyed Christianity in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom