• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Trita Parsi‏
@tparsi

BREAKING: Iraqi, Iranian and Russian outlets report that ISIS leader Al-Baghdadi has been arrested.

pigeon

Banned
At this point, I am not seeing any benefit politically for forcing Trump to release his tax returns. Even if something is there, the GOP congress will do nothing and try to explain everythin away.

All it will do is show the masses how an alleged billionair cheats the system, and how his proposed tax reform plan benefits him even more.

The political benefit might lie in doing a thing that is both right and widely popular.

teiresias

Does it, though? Democrats fighting over this will make them seem petty and does nothing to sway moderates to their side or energize people to vote for them.

Democrats should block the tax reform because it's bad, not because Trump won't release his taxes.

WhyNotBoth.gif?

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/trump-rolls-dice-georgia-s-special-election-n747716
C9tYFhPWAAEmGr8.jpg

Also, this would happen on Trump's 100th day. A perfect crescendo to this shitty garbage fire of an administration.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Does it, though? Democrats fighting over this will make them seem petty and does nothing to sway moderates to their side or energize people to vote for them.

Democrats should block the tax reform because it's bad, not because Trump won't release his taxes.

It doesn't look petty when the majority of Americans want him to release them, and a majority of Americans, even if they halfheartedly voted for him, probably already suspect he's corrupt.

The Republicans painting a potential government shutdown as the petty Democrats' fault won't work on anyone but their own base. They control all aspects of government.

Why is everyone downbeat? I thought KS06 coming to 6℅ bode well for democrats nationwide.

Few reasons:
1. GA-6 voted heavily against Trump but not Republicans. Price got re-elected easily.
2. No Polls have showed Ossoff winning outright and runoff polls have been tossups
3. Rs made up a lot of ground in EV at the end.

Overall this again is looking like 2016 Election, EV heavily Democratic but Rs will make up ground on election day.

My own personal reason to worry, I just don't think Ossoff is a very good candidate.

dramatis

The Districts Where Democrats Might Find the Next Georgia 6
Price’s former seat has become an improbable battleground because it ranks so high on both lists: Nearly 65 percent of whites in the district hold at least a four-year college degree, and Trump’s margin of victory there was nearly 22 points lower than Romney’s. Trump won the district by just 1.5 percentage points, and Hillary Clinton took nearly 47 percent of its vote—an almost 10-point bump from then-President Barack Obama’s performance there in 2012.

Heavily white-collar districts that were cool to Trump aren’t the only seats Democrats will contest next year: They are also targeting less urban and more blue-collar seats, including a few in upstate New York. And Democrats are not planning to challenge all of the 48 GOP-held seats that share the two key characteristics; that list includes several suburban seats in Texas, as well as in South Carolina, Arizona, and Georgia, that lean even more strongly Republican than Price’s former district.
They got a nice interactive graph

How many terrorists leaders have the US killed? You kill one and the next one in line is even worse than his predecessor. Shit is like wack-a-mole. You can't bomb ideas.

Blader

UK politics make me feel so much better about this country. At least Trump is actually unpopular and Republicans may actually face electoral consequences.

How many terrorists leaders have the US killed? You kill one and the next one in line is even worse than his predecessor. Shit is like wack-a-mole. You can't bomb ideas.

Leaders are important rhetorical symbols, and killing or capturing them has symbolic importance.

Cross post:

So, turnout in GA-06 could be anywhere from 130,00 to 157,000. As of now, we have 54,000 votes from the EV.

Total turnout in GA-06 at the prez level was 331,000. Let's say that it'll be 157,000, which is 47% of the total vote in 2016.

73,901 people voted in DeKalb in 2016, which is the most Dem part of GA-06. Right now, about 16,000 people have voted in DeKalb, which is about ~50% of where the turnout should be. Given that post people vote in the afternoon/night, this is generally a good thing and is mostly matching turnout of a midterm.

It's going to be close, even though I think that Ossoff will end up around 47%.

And to add: If turnout is lower than 157,000 (which seems a bit generous), then this is an even better number for Ossoff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cross post:

So, turnout in GA-06 could be anywhere from 130,00 to 157,000. As of now, we have 54,000 votes from the EV.

Total turnout in GA-06 at the prez level was 331,000. Let's say that it'll be 157,000, which is 47% of the total vote in 2016.

73,901 people voted in DeKalb in 2016, which is the most Dem part of GA-06. Right now, about 16,000 people have voted in DeKalb, which is about ~50% of where the turnout should be. Given that post people vote in the afternoon/night, this is generally a good thing and is mostly matching turnout of a midterm.

And to add: If turnout is lower than 157,000 (which seems a bit generous), then this is an even better number for Ossoff.

Like last week's, a big turnout from energized Dem voters in a red spot, will scare republicans and do some harm to their stability - but the DNC effed up last week in my opinion by not throwing money and power at it to show they were driving these shifts (even in losses). They need to go on the offensive and stop acting like babies. COnfident ownership of policy will be more appealing to dem haters than mealy mouthed shy embarrassment. Just own it and talk tough. "Yeah we love Trans people, hate oligarchs and the rich should pay taxes. What you gonna do about it?"

AndyD

aka andydumi

I don't think they will block it if it's good just over his taxes. But I think his taxes are a tangible way to sell the block of a bad bill to the population.

Cross post:

The lower turnout today the better for Ossoff.

Any idea of turnout till now?

Teggy

Not seeing any reputable reports of this Baghdadi news yet. One crazy alt-right dude and some random foreign stuff. Also one Russian denial.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WaPo: DHS Secretary Kelly says congressional critics should ‘shut up’ or change laws
Congressional critics of the Department of Homeland Security should “shut up’’ and assume the agency is acting appropriately and following the law, the agency’s chief said in a combative public speech Tuesday.

“If lawmakers do not like the laws they’ve passed and we are charged to enforce, then they should have the courage and skill to change the laws,’’ Secretary John F. Kelly said. “Otherwise they should shut up and support the men and women on the front lines.’’

In a combative speech at George Washington University, Kelly laid out the threats facing the United States — from international criminal networks to homegrown terrorists.

Several times in the speech, he took on critics of the agency, following months of complaints from Congress, civil rights groups and protesters that DHS is targeting Muslim travelers for unfair scrutiny.
“For too long, the men and women of my department have been political pawns,’’ he said. “My people have been discouraged from doing their jobs for nearly a decade, disabled by pointless bureaucracy and political meddling, and suffered disrespect and contempt by public officials who have no idea what it means to serve.’’

Kelly, a retired Marine general, said criticism of the agency’s work is often misguided and based on inaccurate reporting.

Lawmakers, politicians and advocacy groups may hear “a partial or inaccurate media report’’ and “assume the men and women of DHS are intentionally abusing innocent individuals while breaking or ignoring U.S. laws or court orders, instead of assuming as they should that the men and women of DHS are carrying out their assigned mission in accordance with the law.’’
I might summarize his message to Congress and the public as "shut up, trust and never verify." So nice to have a very militaristic mindset applied to DHS.

Teggy

Senpai has noticed Quist

Bernie Sanders‏Verified account @BernieSanders 15m15 minutes ago

.@RobQuistforMT understands we need a government that works for all Montanans and Americans, not just special interests and billionaires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom