• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how people keep letting republicans get away with the giant lie that is the mythical Biden rule

Because if you keep telling a lie over and over again it magically turns true.Or people won't bother to check, which might as well make it true.

Teggy

It was because the pictures didn't represent the same group of people. But there were definitely significantly fewer (> 10) players anyway.

Blader

I've seen a lot of speculation that it'll be Kennedy who retires. I know that his kids know Trump's kids, seems like they might be close.

That would be pretty bad. Although I then wonder if Roberts takes the "moderate" role if Kennedy were to leave. I suspect that might be the case.

Kennedy plays the moderate role because he's a moderate. Roberts is not a moderate and is not going to suddenly move left on issues to maintain a kind of ideological balance on the court. He's a bone-deep conservative who is as interested as any other Republican in keeping the Supreme Court as overwhelmingly conservative as possible.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how people keep letting republicans get away with the giant lie that is the mythical Biden rule
Don't worry you will never hear about the "Biden Rule" again
when trump has a vacancy in his last year of a term

etrain911

I've seen a lot of speculation that it'll be Kennedy who retires. I know that his kids know Trump's kids, seems like they might be close.

That would be pretty bad. Although I then wonder if Roberts takes the "moderate" role if Kennedy were to leave. I suspect that might be the case.

It was already said, but there's a misconception that the court justices themselves feel the need to maintain some form of equilibrium to keep the court non-partisan when the agenda behind all of this, and why Garland's lack of hearing is such an affront, is because the Republicans and conservatives want the court to echo their views as much as possible. The court being non-partisan is the theory, but partisanship is their ideal practice.

another addition to "dipshit conservative on the verge of a breakthrough": http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/19/15363976/auto-enroll-uninsured-health-care-plan

It surprised me to see how much support auto enrollment has begun to enjoy among conservative health care thinkers — given how much vitriol is directed toward the law's mandate that all Americans carry health insurance coverage.

Capretta and Chen aren't the first conservative to float the idea. Sens. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and Susan Collins (R-ME) included the idea in their Obamacare replacement plan. The Senate Finance Committee also has a health care plan called the Patient CARE Act that envisions an auto enrollment feature to scoop up the people who don't buy coverage themselves.

I asked Sen. Cassidy whether he thought Americans would like the idea of the government choosing their health care plan, given that his party has constantly attacked Obamacare for giving too much power to government bureaucrats.

"People don’t complain because they’re automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A," he responded. "They say, Hey, I’m in, I just went to the emergency room and I’m covered. That’s great."

For the "optics" that they're not a racist party. Especially in this 24 hour cable news driven political cycle we live in.

They haven't cared about that since Trump became president. They don't really even try to hide their racism anymore.

"The people saying this seat is meant for black people are the real racists" etc etc

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The investigation continues!

Bring on the special election! I'm fine if we keep coming razor close in blood red districts while trump keeps calling them big wins. It will make 2018 better for us.

Hopefully no one gives a fuck about what lord Bernard has to say

Sorry to break the news but Tom Perez is trying to pull a fast one on voters by pretending to be united with Bernie Sanders on national television. Saw this skimming Vox this morning: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/19/15359498/democratic-party-sanders-perez

That's a big deal if liberals can't agree on who their ultimate opponent is big picture. Is it Donald Trump or is it the swamp he couldn't drain that runs the administration?

BREAKING NEWS: @jasoninthehouse tells KSL's @DougWrightShow he might not finish his Congressional term. Updates now http://ksl360.com/radio

https://twitter.com/kslnewsradio/status/855074319155724288

Well shit.

Gotta get out before the hammer drops.

Reminder, this just happened:

The highly secretive meeting being held in Queenstown this weekend is a gathering of intelligence and security agencies related to the Five Eyes spying network, the Herald understands.

Among the people believed to be attending are Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) director James Comey and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) director Mike Pompeo.

It is understood about 15 agencies which carry out intelligence for Five Eyes - the spying partnership of the United States, Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and New Zealand - are attending the conference.

In a statement released yesterday, a spokesman for Prime Minister Bill English confirmed a number of senior officials were coming for a conference hosted by the Government, but would not reveal what the conference was.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Wouldn't McMullen want to shoot for Hatch's seat, or is it assumed Romney will swoop in on that?

It is likely that I will seek public office again. That might be in 2018 or it might be sometime down the road, perhaps very far down the road. I genuinely just don't know yet. I'm very focused on things that I think need to be done ASAP and Mindy Finn and I, with our team at Stand Up Republic, advancing them now. It is possible that I will challenge Chaffetz or Senator Hatch, but there are a lot of factors that go into that decision. One of the primary factors is what the people of Utah want. Plenty of people outside of Utah or who do not vote in the Republican primary are eager to see Chaffetz replaced, for example. But he may be supported by his Republican primary voters and, if so, that has to be taken into account.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrum..._am_evan_mcmullin_former_independent/df23pv6/

I haven't followed Chaffetz, why do people think he's in legal trouble?

He announced that he wasn't going to run for re-election in 2018, which led folks to think he was going to run for governor. Now, rumors are coming out that he may not finish his congressional term at all.

There's no logical explanation for the latter unless a shitstorm is on its way that he's trying to get out of the way of.

Blader

Wouldn't McMullen want to shoot for Hatch's seat, or is it assumed Romney will swoop in on that?

Edit: is it even confirmed Hatch is leaving or did I imagine that?

It's not confirmed that Hatch is leaving, but a lot of Utah GOP officials are pressuring him to retire, especially now that Romney is interested. I think Hatch has also mentioned -- though I'm not sure if this was done publicly or privately -- that his retirement next year would hinge on who his most likely successor would be, and that if Romney were interested in running, that'd be a huge factor in convincing Hatch to retire.

If I'm reading the latest PPP poll correctly, 72% of Republicans think Trump shouldn't resign even if it's conclusively proven his campaign worked with Russia to get him elected. I'm having a hard time believing this.

If I'm reading the latest PPP poll correctly, 72% of Republicans think Trump shouldn't resign even if it's conclusively proven his campaign worked with Russia to get him elected. I'm having a hard time believing this.
A lot of those hypothetical polls of Rs are useless because they'll willingly lie to pollsters out of party loyalty. If it happens s I doubt that number will hold.

Lmo911

Team Sports baby! What's a little treason between friends?

https://twitter.com/waltisfrozen/status/855067229125099522

Letting guests take smart-ass photos with official portraits is beneath the dignity of presidency. White House should formally apologize.

C93PHHxVYAEt5AS.jpg

As usual, republicans have no class.

He announced that he wasn't going to run for re-election in 2018, which led folks to think he was going to run for governor. Now, rumors are coming out that he may not finish his congressional term at all.

There's no logical explanation for the latter unless a shitstorm is on its way that he's trying to get out of the way of.

Yeah but, a partisan nitwit doesnt necessarily mean hes in cahoots with Russian agents (i think?)

If this rumor is true, id put more faith on it being he knew of it somehow and that itself being the "get out of Dodge" reason. If true of course; shits getting wierder by the week.

Sorry to break the news but Tom Perez is trying to pull a fast one on voters by pretending to be united with Bernie Sanders on national television. Saw this skimming Vox this morning: http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/19/15359498/democratic-party-sanders-perez

That's a big deal if liberals can't agree on who their ultimate opponent is big picture. Is it Donald Trump or is it the swamp he couldn't drain that runs the administration?

Still don't care

Chichikov

I don't really know how you explain this other than shit's about to go down, or maybe he wants a Fox News gig?

How do you run for governor after abandoning your post?
My guess would be that he got an offer for a well paid cushy gig at a think tank, a lobbying firm or an "outside" political group.

But who knows with that idiot.

Yeah but, a partisan nitwit doesnt necessarily mean hes in cahoots with Russian agents (i think?)

If this rumor is true, id put more faith on it being he knew of somehow and that itself being the "get out of Dodge" reason. If true of course; shits getting wierder by the week.

Yeah I don't necessarily think he was in bed with the Russians himself, but I think he knows something's coming from the Intelligence Communities.

Imagine how bad it would look if he was still House Oversight Chair when a bombshell like confirmed collusion dropped.

He still has political aspirations but being asleep at the wheel would be a death blow to future campaigns.

Even outside the Russia stuff, self enriching and family dealing is seriously enough to do him in.

My guess would be that he got an offer for a well paid cushy gig at a think tank, a lobbying firm or an "outside" political group.

But who knows with that idiot.

That seems like something that would always be there at the end of a term. And for what it's worth (not much), it's like extra triple-shitty to bail on public office in the middle of a term for a sweet private gig.

If he's leaving early I think there's a shoe dropping about SOMETHING, anyway. Could just be personal though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, the Chaffetz news deluge is a clear indicator something is coming.

Teggy

Shes not going to run. SHe knows better. Shes also going to be too old.

I'm more concerned about 2018 right now. There have been a lot of "sky is falling" articles here in MA about her approval rating and she may wind up running against a navy seal.

I might be just you-know-whatting, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom