• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

C6j_W_5XAAIqMPd.jpg:large

I THOUGHT THE COUNTRY WENT TO HELL AND ITS A TOTAL DISASTER

His response last Feb when there were more jobs added was that it was disappointing. It's infuriating.

Vixdean

Alright folks let's not pretend Obama didn't kill a bunch of people too. Every President has. The DoD had been looking to get more aggressive in Yemen for a while and even the Obama administration was considering the move.

Alright folks let's not pretend Obama didn't kill a bunch of people too. Every President has. The DoD had been looking to get more aggressive in Yemen for a while and even the Obama administration was considering the move.

No one is saying otherwise?

But the Trump administration has done as many bombings in a week as the Obama administration did in a year.

You understand the difference, yes? I can't believe people still think "both sides" is an acceptable defense in 2017.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I find easy to forget is there's still a whole amendment process in both the house and the senate to go through. The bill as is isn't set in stone, and there's no way this thing doesn't get amended somehow.

GiJoccin

Link? It's probably already 18 hours. And they do have the option to sleep when not needed it a lot of cases.

LOL sleep at the hospital? rarely, and if you do, congrats on getting like an hour of fitful sleep. constantly getting paged, admissions, transfers, patients crashing

unless you work at a pretty quiet hospital i guess?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Residents already have a 24-hour cap, and the caps used to be much higher. A 16 hour cap on interns is a relatively new thing, and there is plenty of debate within the medical community as to whether it was actually a good thing at all.

So, I'm not really taking a side on this and I don't really want to play out this debate here, but this isn't just something the government is imposing on medicine. This is an ongoing debate within the field of medicine with many proponents internally.

Residents get paid dirt cheap money and there aren't enough doctors to serve the population

I am a simple man but alls I knows is that if I have to choose between a sleep-deprived neurosurgery resident or Watson to poke around in my brain, the robot is starting to look a lot more attractive. And that's speaking as a guy who's seen that Second Renaissance Matrix anime.

I am a simple med student too and would love to have a sane and not physically destructive residency schedule but I do not see a future where that would be. At least I have 6 years to contemplate what is the optimal dosing of caffeine or to lobby the FDA to make modafinil OTC.

This new healthcare bill seems to be the worst of all worlds. Destroys safety net/healthcare markets/things liberals(sane medical people) want but still costs a ton and has a lot of none hard core right friendly parts. It's impressive TBH how well the GOP has backed itself in the corner.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Noah Berlatsky is in my head
Noah Berlatsky‏Verified account @nberlat 12h12 hours ago

so, I really don't see how this analysis is especially accurate, nor how it's likely to be helpful.

the assumption is that GOP is right-wing extremist party, therefore the opposition should always win, or should win easily.

that's not how politics works. In a two party system (which is what we've got, adn will have until major election rule changes)

the out party always has a really good chance of winning. Out party also has major structural advantages in off year elections.

2nd, the claim that right wing extremists don't have strong appeal to many americans is pretty clearly and objectively false.

racism and attacking marginal people has a powerful constituency. pretending that isn't the case is dangerous.

Democrats often suck on left issues. But assuming that your own priorities match those of the electorate in some sort of sweeping way

is not a recipe for making wise political decisions in the short, middle, or long term.

left policies *can* be popular. But it's dumb to assume they always *are*, and that people lose *because* not pursuing left policies.

the big, horrible, stupid, ugly mistake Dems have made? not going all in on voting rights.

you know who is a dem and makes that mistake too? Sanders.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I will never understand the culture/tradition of pulling crazy shifts that persists in medicine.

Shouldnt doctors know that staying awake 24 hours is unhealthy? I would never do that @_@

So here's the problem. A hospital doctor has patients who are his or her ultimate responsibility. And they do not enter and leave the hospital within the timeframe of a single reasonable work shift. So patients have to be transitioned from one doctor to another. The issue is that patient handoff is the most dangerous time for patients in the hospital. This is when mistakes get made.

Obviously sleep deprivation is also dangerous. So we have to find the intersection point where the benefits of reducing errors in handoff meet the increasing risk of sleep deprivation. And wherever that intersection is, that's how long the shifts will be. That's settled at 24 hours for a long time.

Another 2 major issues.

1) Doctors in many specialties out of training will still be expected to work 24 hours in their professional life, at least on call. So they need to be prepared for that. You can't go from 12 hour days as a resident to taking consecutive 24 hour call days mixed with clinic and scheduled OR cases as an attending surgeon. Also, a number of surgical procedures e.g. Whipple take 10+ hours to perform. And that won't be the only thing you have to do that day. These are just the demanding realities of medicine especially surgery. You simply have to be prepared for it.

2) There is still, unfortunately, a bit of a "well, I had to do it so you do too" culture in medicine. But most of that these days has to do with how people are treated by their superiors, not the hours. I don't think you reasonably get the shift lengths much lower than they currently are.

So here's the problem. A hospital doctor has patients who are his or her ultimate responsibility. And they do not enter and leave the hospital within the timeframe of a single reasonable work shift. So patients have to be transitioned from one doctor to another. The issue is that patient handoff is the most dangerous time for patients in the hospital. This is when mistakes get made.

Obviously sleep deprivation is also dangerous. So we have to find the intersection point where the benefits of reducing errors in handoff meet the increasing risk of sleep deprivation. And wherever that intersection is, that's how long the shifts will be. That's settled at 24 hours for a long time.

Another 2 major issues.

1) Doctors in many specialties out of training will still be expected to work 24 hours in their professional life, at least on call. So they need to be prepared for that. You can't go from 12 hour days as a resident to taking consecutive 24 hour call days mixed with clinic and scheduled OR cases as an attending surgeon. Also, a number of surgical procedures e.g. Whipple take 10+ hours to perform. And that won't be the only thing you have to do that day. These are just the demanding realities of medicine especially surgery. You simply have to be prepared for it.

2) There is still, unfortunately, a bit of a "well, I had to do it so you do too" culture in medicine. But most of that these days has to do with how people are treated by their superiors, not the hours. I don't think you reasonably get the shift lengths much lower than they currently are.
I know I said I will never understand it, but that is helpful, thanks. Do you know if this is the case across developed countries or is the US an outlier?

Hrm. Thats something then. It affects nurses too(atleast in the us), I know a nurse who has recently been complaining about their 24 hour shifts. It sounds horrible imo, I would become delirious 18 hours in

Blader

Noah Berlatsky is in my head

Beyond that, what exactly is "the model" that has failed Dems in the last 10-20 years (a time period that also produced a number of electoral wins: '92, '96, '98, '06, '08, '12) and why is that more a failure than when Dems were *really* in the dog house for all of the 80s and early 90s?

I'm not trying to sound like passively sniping at Bernie, I genuinely don't understand what people are referring to when they say the way, the model, the establishment, the structure, etc. of the Democratic Party has been a failure. What specifically are we talking about -- third-way centrism? Corporate funding?

Beyond that, what exactly is "the model" that has failed Dems in the last 10-20 years (a time period that also produced a number of electoral wins: '92, '96, '98, '06, '08, '12) and why is that more a failure than when Dems were *really* in the dog house for all of the 80s and early 90s?

I'm not trying to sound like passively sniping at Bernie, I genuinely don't understand what people are referring to when they say the way, the model, the establishment, the structure, etc. of the Democratic Party has been a failure. What specifically are we talking about -- third-way centrism? Corporate funding?
What major domestic policies did winning in those elections get passed, other than the ACA.

I'm guessing what they mean is the focus on minority issues.

Maxim726X

What are the chances that Scalise gets enough support to get this through the house?

Apparently, he seems pretty confident. It seemed yesterday that the divide was too wide. No way promising to end the Medicare expansion earlier was all it took to get this through... Right?

Valhelm

contribute something

A silver lining of Trump is that a lot of liberals will start paying attention to the mass murder America has been committing for decades.

Any bets on whether the Participation Rate doesn't get mentioned for the next 4 years, while conservatives had been harping on it ever since the Unemployment Rate went down under Obama?

A silver lining of Trump is that a lot of liberals will start paying attention to the mass murder America has been committing for decades.

No they won't. The tendency of Americans to ignore non American casualties is nearly universal, regardless of what side of the aisle they're on.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Any bets on whether the Participation Rate doesn't get mentioned for the next 4 years, while conservatives had been harping on it ever since the Unemployment Rate went down under Obama?
I expect a lot of amnesia on the participation rate being super important.

Or variations of that ways and means chair statement "64% of adults are working!" instead of "Only 64% of adults are working!"

I think this is overly optimistic

Ogodei

Nah, problem is they have too many true believers now. The people running the show are the guys who listened to Rush Limbaugh on their way to work 20 years ago. The Senate leadership is mostly old fogies who know how the game is played, hence why they seem far more reasonable.

How fucking hilarious would it be though if we defaulted or shutdown under a unified Republican government? Knowing Ryan he'd tack on some lethal poison pill to a debt limit bill that makes it impossible to draw much Dem support. And while they'd certainly try, I don't see how we'd catch much heat for that. It'd be all the Republicans'.

Darkly hilarious, perhaps. An American default would be the end of the world as far as modern economics goes. Massive changes to the underpinning of the global economic infrastructure would be needed because of how much relies on US Treasuries as a safe-bet fallback option and how many countries horde US dollar reserves, which is related to US Treasures as a safe-bet fallback option.

You're talking Great Depression, liquidate-your-retirement-and-put-it-in-gold situation at that point.

Listening to Trump talk about give power to the local governments/ states rights... Like, why does no one ever call them out on their hypocrisy?

Blader

What major domestic policies did winning in those elections get passed, other than the ACA.

You can't really believe the ACA was the lone domestic policy achievement of the last 20-25 years.

Darkly hilarious, perhaps. An American default would be the end of the world as far as modern economics goes. Massive changes to the underpinning of the global economic infrastructure would be needed because of how much relies on US Treasuries as a safe-bet fallback option and how many countries horde US dollar reserves, which is related to US Treasures as a safe-bet fallback option.

You're talking Great Depression, liquidate-your-retirement-and-put-it-in-gold situation at that point.

"Massive changes to the underpinning of the global economic infrastructure" sounds right up Bannon's alley.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I imagine a lot of people suffer from the privilege of "If it didn't effect me then it doesn't count."
Pretty much it's like impossible for me to convince anyone to give a shit about politics. If it hasn't happened to them directly then it's not their problem. Yet they'll complain about laws and fucked up shit but not lift a finger to do anything about it. I've shared that I show up to activist events and donate to encourage others and no dice.

Also I consider it a fluke that I was able to get 3 friends and family registered to vote and actually show up to vote. If I didn't constantly keep in contact and let them know about all the ways to vote then I'm pretty sure they would have never bothered.

Ogodei

You can't really believe the ACA was the lone domestic policy achievement of the last 20-25 years.

"Massive changes to the underpinning of the global economic infrastructure" sounds right up Bannon's alley.

Would be one case where Trump would override him. Trump's all about the grift, and the kind of calamity we're talking about here would ruin him and his kids too, especially since most of his value is in his brand and the properties are of questionable net worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom