• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump said he wants just one bill that does everything though.

Eleven dimensional chess etc

Yes, because a bill that cuts rich people's taxes, raises taxes on the middle class, takes away healthcare from 25 million Americans in two years, and removes the preexisting conditions ban is totally something that can pass Congress.

Thank god we elected an incompetent fascist.

He wants the bill tattooed onto his body
H.J. Res 001 (the 1 is for #1)

Section 1. Repeal Obamacare
1a. Replace with something terrific

Yes, because a bill that cuts rich people's taxes, raises taxes on the middle class, takes away healthcare from 25 million Americans in two years, and removes the preexisting conditions ban is totally something that can pass Congress.

Thank god we elected an incompetent fascist.
This is why the GOP electing Trump specifically is a problem for them. Yeah, they got Gorsuch, but a more competent leader could actually be getting some legislation passed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is why the GOP electing Trump specifically is a problem for them. Yeah, they got Gorsuch, but a more competent leader could actually be getting some legislation passed.

In fairness to them, I don't think anyone would be able to navigate the current GOP divide. The gap between the moderate GOPers and the Tea Party guys is massive, it's almost like the Tea Party is on their own strata ideologically. You can't get them on the same page for anything that isn't just a show bill.

No but seriously what's stopping the GOP from passing their entire legislative agenda through one reconciliation bill?

edit: not talking about the blow back politically but the legislative process

No but seriously what's stopping the GOP from passing their entire legislative agenda through one reconciliation bill?

There are rules as to whats allowed to be done via reconciliation. Some of which you can kinda get around but you have to plan ahead for.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They can't even pass the AHCA though.

The point is that the closer tax reform becomes wedded to healthcare the harder it is for them to do either.

The house. But I imagine the Senate wouldn't be so shitty. And the house wouldn't need reconciliation obv.

pigeon

Banned

If they weren't worried about politics, nothing. They could even overrule the parliamentarian to get around the Byrd Rule.

You think the straight ticket GOP voters in eastern Kentucky are gonna be happy when they wake up one day and discover that they don't have health insurance anymore?

mo60

In fairness to them, I don't think anyone would be able to navigate the current GOP divide. The gap between the moderate GOPers and the Tea Party guys is massive, it's almost like the Tea Party is on their own strata ideologically. You can't get them on the same page for anything that isn't just a show bill.

The only way to get rid of this divide is for the democrats to win some tea party seats but that is impossible at the moment.I don't think there are any vulnerable tea party seats in the house at the moment.

Ogodei

The problem is that the tea party seats are supersafe. It would be like if all of the inner-city Democrats demanded Chavista policies and refused to vote for anything else: their voters won't care, but the voters in D+3 districts sure as hell will.

That's why Ryan even thinks he needs Democratic votes to get a budget through the House, he's got a set of bomb-throwing anarchists in his corner.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The only way to get rid of this divide is for the democrats to win some tea party seats but that is impossible at the moment.I don't think there are any vulnerable tea party seats in the house at the moment.

That's because of how gerrymandered those seats are. In ensuring their majority, the GOP has ensured that they have no chance of using it.

royalan

They'll be happy because black people don't have health insurance anymore.

You jest, but in the latest The Weeds podcast Sarah Kliff said that her reporting was uncovering just that. That a lot of people in the "heartland" are ok with Trump taking away their healthcare, because it'll mean that those "other people" won't have it, either.

But, you know, economic anxiety and all that.

benjipwns

Banned
Giving money to good people who will likely do good things with it is a good thing.

See: Warren Buffett.
This is actually a fun encapsulation of this whole ongoing principle purity vs. principle sacrifice debate you guys have been having every other ten seconds for the last six months or more.

Warren Buffet is the ultimate tax code and corporate welfare case who's exploited every regulatory loophole known to man and invested in corrupt shit up to his knees. (To where he has praised cigarette advertising due to the products addictive qualities and the Chinese government because of their ability to simply waive pesky environmental and labor rules.) But because he wants taxes raised on lesser rich people, wants health care costs to increase but for everyone, "pays" himself a small yearly salary officially and lives "modestly" without a cell phone and computer (because he's fucking 85) he's the "Oracle of Omaha" and someone to praise and invite to listen to and award with medals constantly. Someone to aspire to, unlike filthy capitalists like Mitt Romney who got less rich doing the same things.

He won't even stick to the infamous pledge he made with Bill Gates to give away 99% of his fortune because he literally can't due to how Berkshire is setup as a corporation and his position within it. Which he knew at the time and has done nothing to change and will do nothing to change.

He also doesn't seem to understand the concept of comparative advantage which is pretty amazing for someone worth $80 billion. And who regularly practices it. Even though he opposed Trump his notions of international trade are fairly similar.

And wrote his adopted granddaughter a letter disowning her in response to her criticism of the 1%.

George Soros is probably a better example of a Hillary supporter who has used his money for good things than Buffett, who's generally all talk. He's actually already given away more than half his wealth. And has been an activist for democracy in the former Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact, has fought against the drug war, has backed the right to end ones life, has supported resistance movements in Africa, etc.

He's also wasted money on the Democratic Party and its tentacle operations like the Center for American Progress but nobody's perfect.

Plus he's been opposing Russia before it was cool. And grew up with actual Nazi's.

Teggy

They had Trump supporters call in to On Point tonight and it was an incredible example of why these people are sticking with him. Most said they wished he would stop tweeting but this one guy really encapsulated the state of mind of the Trump voter. He said he didn't mind that Trump had about-faced on so many issues because that was a sign he listened to other people and that made him a great leader. The cognitive dissonance was staggering.

24958da4103d5b4ae39bfd2b56f3616d_1000-images-about-andy-nip-it-in-the-bud-meme_400-215.gif

They had Trump supporters call in to On Point tonight and it was an incredible example of why these people are sticking with him. Most said they wished he would stop tweeting but this one guy really encapsulated the state of mind of the Trump voter. He said he didn't mind that Trump had about-faced on so many issues because that was a sign he listened to other people and that made him a great leader. The cognitive dissonance was staggering.

I watch some videos from other news outlets that ask Trump voters how he is doing, they think the same way. I'm trying to figure out what makes them support Trump still. I think as long as he looks tough and seems like he is doing something( doesn't have to be through actions of passing bills or EOs), they will back him.....once until they notice their lives aren't getting better. It'll take that and Trump having more legislative failures to make his support waiver further.

Teggy

Ugh, NYT published a terrible climate-denier op-ed and defended doing so by saying they are defending free speech. WTF.

This is actually a fun encapsulation of this whole ongoing principle purity vs. principle sacrifice debate you guys have been having every other ten seconds for the last six months or more.

Warren Buffet is the ultimate tax code and corporate welfare case who's exploited every regulatory loophole known to man and invested in corrupt shit up to his knees. (To where he has praised cigarette advertising due to the products addictive qualities and the Chinese government because of their ability to simply waive pesky environmental and labor rules.) But because he wants taxes raised on lesser rich people, wants health care costs to increase but for everyone, "pays" himself a small yearly salary officially and lives "modestly" without a cell phone and computer (because he's fucking 85) he's the "Oracle of Omaha" and someone to praise and invite to listen to and award with medals constantly. Someone to aspire to, unlike filthy capitalists like Mitt Romney who got less rich doing the same things.

He won't even stick to the infamous pledge he made with Bill Gates to give away 99% of his fortune because he literally can't due to how Berkshire is setup as a corporation and his position within it. Which he knew at the time and has done nothing to change and will do nothing to change.

He also doesn't seem to understand the concept of comparative advantage which is pretty amazing for someone worth $80 billion. And who regularly practices it. Even though he opposed Trump his notions of international trade are fairly similar.

And wrote his adopted granddaughter a letter disowning her in response to her criticism of the 1%.

George Soros is probably a better example of a Hillary supporter who has used his money for good things than Buffett, who's generally all talk. He's actually already given away more than half his wealth. And has been an activist for democracy in the former Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact, has fought against the drug war, has backed the right to end ones life, has supported resistance movements in Africa, etc.

He's also wasted money on the Democratic Party and its tentacle operations like the Center for American Progress but nobody's perfect.

Plus he's been opposing Russia before it was cool. And grew up with actual Nazi's.

Your check is in the mail, btw.

Maher's interview with Warren certainly was.. something

I love her but I don't see her handling the shitstorm of moving for the nomination. Still on team Franken.

I fucking love Rush hour

The best movie franchises. Of all the practically annualized movie series I'd kill to get a new rush hour every year
I've only seen the first one and it was forever ago, but the part where they rehearse 'flip it open, flip it closed' and then Jackie Chan just throws the wallet when he tries it will stick with me forever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kind of reminds me of:

the-liberal-trolley-problem-if-you-dont-pull-the-switch-13014338.png

How is this a moral dilemma? Who doesn't choose to punch the Nazi?

Maher's interview with Warren certainly was.. something

That sounds...not good...

I've only seen the first one and it was forever ago, but the part where they rehearse 'flip it open, flip it closed' and then Jackie Chan just throws the wallet when he tries it will stick with me forever.

Two was pretty good. One of the outtake scenes is fucking legendary, but the whole movie is really really fun. Pretend three doesn't exist. It's just OK, they waited too long and the moment passed. Had they done it a decade earlier they probably could have made a better movie.

That sounds...not good...
He basically asked her why she thought Trump won and she went on to the typical answer her and Bernie went on; He tapped into "anger" and that Trump was full of shit. But then he was like " oh that's great. Trump lied to them but they don't care and still aren't voting for you Pocahontas".

He made it as awkward as possible for her pretty much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom