• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixdean

Do they really think they'll be able to cram this shit through on sheer partisanship? I guess it's the ultimate test of loyalty to Trump, Ryan and the GOP.

This. Too many here dismiss the bizarro reality we're now in and the fact, the utter fact that nobody falls in line like Republicans do, no matter how much they say otherwise.

I don't even think we have a chance in 2018. Too much gerrymandering. Too much idiocy. Too many "my vote doesn't count" snowflakes.

Sad but true. Don't get your hopes up for 2018 or you're gonna have a bad time.

This line of thinking really needs to stop. People cannot expect anything good to happen when their mindset is thinking that the current reality is this nebulous force that cancels out all good things. The real reality is, you don't know what's going to happen.

This line of thinking really needs to stop. People cannot expect anything good to happen when their mindset is thinking that the current reality is this nebulous force that cancels out all good things. The real reality is, you don't know what's going to happen.

A-fucking-men. Destiny or this timeline meme are both bullshit. Physical reality has no political bias. You must thrust your will upon it and bend it to your service.

A-fucking-men. Destiny or this timeline meme are both bullshit. Physical reality has no political bias. You must thrust your will upon it and bend it to your service.

Exactly. I can't count how many times my anger must have reached a boiling point whenever I see people who type these kinds of posts out.

I mean, for crying out loud, these people are supposed to be the good guys on our side. Don't get sad, get active! Your "liberal tears" and wallowing in defeat are LITERALLY what the right wants from the left!

If you want hope. Look at the people on the left who are organized and active, and mimic that behavior.

teiresias

Exactly. I can't count how many times my anger must have reached a boiling point whenever I see people who type these kinds of posts out.

I mean, for crying out loud, these people are supposed to be the good guys on our side. Don't get sad, get active! Your "liberal tears" and wallowing in defeat are LITERALLY what the right wants from the left!

If you want hope. Look at the people on the left who are organized and active, and mimic that behavior.

I'd like to know if any of the people that peddle that defeatist BS are old enough to even remember another GOP administration.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I've finally found a good metaphor for my personal experience with the Trump admin.

It's like being stuck in an old, super rickety wooden roller-coaster. I'm cramped, my knees are getting bruised, I'm not strapped in safely, every time we hit a sharp turn I'm afraid I'm going to fall out and the whole thing feels like it's about to collapse. And I'm trapped in 4 years of endless looping and I'm not sure it's going to hold up that long.

pigeon

Banned
I've finally found a good metaphor for my personal experience with the Trump admin.

It's like being stuck in an old, super rickety wooden roller-coaster. I'm cramped, my knees are getting bruised, I'm not strapped in safely, every time we hit a sharp turn I'm afraid I'm going to fall out and the whole thing feels like it's about to collapse. And I'm trapped in 4 years of endless looping and I'm not sure it's going to hold up that long.

The way I like to explain it to people is, it's like I'm in a country, and the country is run by white supremacists, and I'm afraid they might kill me and my infant daughter.

sangreal

"HHS Secretary Price says Trump administration disagrees "strenuously" with report by CBO whose director he appointed"

Is this another, "well that's what he said" moment from Price? Why doesn't this quote say Price disagrees with it? Let him throw his hand-picked CBO under the bus himself

On a related note, the Republican politicization of the CBO is truly sad to see

"HHS Secretary Price says Trump administration disagrees "strenuously" with report by CBO whose director he appointed"

Is this another, "well that's what he said" moment from Price? Why doesn't this quote say Price disagrees with it? Let him throw his hand-picked CBO under the bus himself

On a related note, the Republican politicization of the CBO is truly sad to see

This is what they're are doing for a lot of things now.

sphagnum

Banned
Can someone explain to be the left seeming revulsion to calling the AHCA "Trumpcare"? Besides the fact that Democrats are doing it?

It seems to me that people who don't like calling it Trumpcare want to tie it to the GOP in general so that they can't run away from it and say THIS WAS WHAT TRUMP WANTED, NOT US when/if they break from him during the midterms.

It seems to me that people who don't like calling it Trumpcare want to tie it to the GOP in general so that they can't run away from it and THIS WAS WHAT TRUMP WANTED, NOT US when/if they break from him during the midterms.

I mean, 90% of Republican voters like Trump and Republicans in Congress are voting with Trump 97% of the time so Trump is the whole party at this point.

Hard to run away from your president when he's supported so overwhelmingly by your party.

So uh this might be a problem?

C61TuHwXAAA-owo.jpg
77% of nonwhites support voter ID?

Maybe we should stop trying to push against it and instead just try to run on automatic voter registration and mailing people their voter ID when they are registered.

sphagnum

Banned
Being against voter ID is one of those things that sounds like you're in favor of cheating. Who wouldn't want to protect The Sanctity of Voting?

I agree, we should co-opt it and make it something that is mandatorily sent to everyone over 18 unless they opt out.

Ogodei

Maybe we should stop trying to push against it and instead just try to run on automatic voter registration and mailing people their voter ID when they are registered.

Photo ID is a reasonable policy on its face. The devil is in the details for the GOP laws: which kind of ID and how easy is it to get one, which is where the racial targeting comes in.

It's just a good idea to have an ID in this day and age anyway. The governments should find those who lack one and provide them with one. Solves the problem and the marginalized people without photo IDs can get them.

The good news out of that is the strong support for early voting.

pigeon

Banned
SIMILES ARE METAPHORS IN TRUMP'S AMERICA

No, actually I just never remember the difference.

To add actual content, the quote from John Cornyn that's being shorted as "CBO has been wrong before" is actually much less positive on the bill than that.

ijr said:
After the CBO released its report, which detailed massive reductions to the federal deficit along with tens of millions in lost insurance for Americans, Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) said that while the CBO is the official scorecard, “they’ve been wrong before,” adding:

“So this is their initial pass on it and I’m sure that gives us a target of what we need to work on.”

http://ijr.com/2017/03/823936-republicans-plenty-reasons-doubt-cbo-score-obamacare-replacement/

If the Senate Majority Whip is saying they need to work on the bill, it's hard to see how it could pass.

this is the only way i support voter id. If it needs to happen it needs to be free, automatic, and as painless as possible.

Photo ID is a reasonable policy on its face. The devil is in the details for the GOP laws: which kind of ID and how easy is it to get one, which is where the racial targeting comes in.

It's just a good idea to have an ID in this day and age anyway. The governments should find those who lack one and provide them with one. Solves the problem and the marginalized people without photo IDs can get them.

The good news out of that is the strong support for early voting.
Right, I get all of that. It just seems like it will be a losing battle when the people it targets are almost as likely to support it.

this is the only way i support voter id. If it needs to happen it needs to be free, automatic, and as painless as possible.
Yeah I mean this what I'm saying we should do, instead of pushing against something that's popular just do the easy fix that makes it not racist. Obviously the GOP won't support it though.

sangreal

people support voter ID because it makes sense on a basic level.

They're too insular to see the problems with it. The common refrain, even on neogaf is "everything else requires ID anyway" which simply isn't true, but people who have ID think it is

They also don't understand the distinction between "Voter ID" -- which almost every state requires either during registration or voting -- with the strict photo ID requirements that the "Voter ID" debate refers to.

I'm not convinced these problems can't be reconciled with better messaging other than "it hurts minorities". People hear that and just take from it that democrats want illegal aliens to vote

It hurts old people more than anyone, and is strongly against republican/libertarian ideals. Ask the same people if they support national ID cards and the database that goes along with that

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It is going to be amazing seeing the battle between republicans and AARP. The entire landscape is going to be turned on its head.

Piecake

Sen. Dean Heller panned House Speaker Paul Ryan's bill to repeal and replace Obamacare during a closed meeting with constituents on Saturday, according to audio obtained by POLITICO.

The Nevada senator has been quiet about the GOP’s efforts to dismantle the Affordable Care Act as he prepares to run for reelection as the only Republican incumbent from a state Hillary Clinton won. But Heller raised significant issues to state Republicans and senior center residents about how the bill would affect the state’s Medicaid population, even as he declined to say that health care is a fundamental right.

“My argument with the Republicans is if we’re going to make the changes, don’t repeal the Affordable Care Act so you can keep all the taxes. I think that’s unfair and I don’t think that’s a responsible way to move forward,” Heller said. The House bill does eliminate some taxes on wealthy people.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/dean-heller-obamacare-republicans-235978

This is so dead

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Also vote by mail and make election day a holiday.

It would need to be free to replace as well as free to receive, so unlimited.
I thought this was assumed to be part of the policy, like every time you register you'd get one and you could go get them replaced if necessary.
Making election day a holiday wouldn't help the vast majority of people since they wouldn't be getting off work either way.

Still should probably be a holiday, though
I'm aware of this argument that it makes the voting group more representative of the middle class instead of the working class, but I think making it easier to vote is good and at the very least, the wealthier voting while the people who don't get a day off aren't working at least frees up space when those people get off work.

pigeon

Banned
I thought this was assumed to be part of the policy, like every time you register you'd get one and you could go get them replaced if necessary.

It's generally not assumed. You're expected to get ID yourself, and you can't register without possessing ID. That's what voter ID means!

It's generally not assumed. You're expected to get ID yourself, and you can't register without possessing ID. That's what voter ID means!
Right, I'm just saying that if voter IDs are popular we should just run on making them free and easy to access, either by mailing them or making them free for replacement. Was that not clear?

pigeon

Banned
Right, I'm just saying that if voter IDs are popular we should just run on making them free and easy to access, either by mailing them or making them free for replacement. Was that not clear?

Sorry! I was confused.

My counterprogramming proposal to voter ID is just AVR.

sangreal

You need to make all the supporting documentation free too. I don't think any state with "Free" voter ID does that

and even if it were free, you still have the time investment required and you're fighting against the conveniently reduced hours in poor areas

As Republicans love to say when it comes to protesting -- some people have day jobs and don't have time for that shit

sangreal

He never cared about any of this and had no desire to look into it. Can apply to almost all policy decisions.

That about sums up Trump, yeah. The only policy positions he ever truly held were build that wall and ban muslims. Has zero interest in any other policy matters and just wants to be popular

Vixdean

He never cared about any of this and had no desire to look into it. Can apply to almost all policy decisions.

Worse than that he has no real experts around him to explain the details. He's just surrounded by a bunch of conservative crackpots telling him how trickle down works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom