• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davide

So the tax return is a 1040 from 2005 so...

Herc_is_Disappointed.gif

benjipwns

Banned
was searching for something else and found this post from a couple weeks ago, so...
Bonen no Max'd said:
1972: McGovern failed hard but he ran a terrible campaign and didn't have a real base of support other than antiwar college students. Somewhat amusingly, he actually got less votes in the primary than Humphrey but got way more delegates, I'm not sure how that all went down. Where's benji when we need him?
caucuses and winner-take-all-states, also look at the county map on wikipedia

the McGovern/Frasier reforms weren't entirely yet in place setting up a primary or caucus for every state, a large chunk of the DNC delegates were unbound entering the convention and/or decided not through primaries

the convention entry actually has more info regarding one situation that's amusing because it was the McGovernites trying to fight their own enacted rules:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Democratic_National_Convention#Delegate_selection
The California primary was "winner-take-all", which was contrary to the delegate selection rules. So even though McGovern only won the California primary by a 5% electoral margin, he won all 271 of their delegates to the convention. The anti-McGovern group argued for a proportional distribution of the delegates, while the McGovern forces stressed that the rules for the delegate selection had been set and the Stop McGovern alliance was trying to change the rules after the game. As with the credential fight, McGovernites carried the day effectively handing the nomination to McGovern.

Hunter S. Thompson's rather extensive discussion about the events at the DNC convention is available in the Rolling Stone archives: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-in-miami-old-bulls-meet-the-butcher-19720817
note: he was an open McGovern partisan from the getgo and this article (along with his others) are what make up the content of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail

The reason the primary popular vote "goes" to the winner in every subsequent primary season is almost assuredly a factor of the candidates dropping out well in advance. The exceptions being 1976, 2008 and 2016 when candidates stayed in long enough that people in later and larger states, like California/Texas/New York, weren't voting 85% for the already decided nominee running up their total. Even Trump benefited from this if you look at the state results.

Clinton won the primary popular vote in 2008 because of the way caucus vote totals are counted in the Democratic Party, Obama dominated the caucuses but he wasn't getting any credit in the popular vote total for it. There's also the fact that Hillary stayed on the Florida and Michigan ballots. IIRC, this is the only race in the which the superdelegates actually could have decided the nominee from a hypothetical 100% picks one candidate situation.

1984's Democratic race is an interesting situation because it's the last time in which there were enough unbound delegates entering the convention that theoretically Mondale could have been denied the nomination on the first ballot by regular delegates. They had to twist arms and stuff to prevent it because they were afraid that once released the delegates would swing to nominate Gary Hart. (In theory, and this was part of his refusal to withdraw, they could have also nominated Jesse Jackson but if Ted Kennedy couldn't pull it off four years earlier I doubt Jackson could have especially with there being another option (Hart) in the race.)

sangreal

worth it just to piss trump off

also last I checked this is still America and you can publish whatever you want as long as it isn't obscene or libelous

Diablos

Why does my gut tell me that Comey finds nothing and the AHCA in some form ends up passing sooner than we think

It hasn't even been 3 months

*vomits*

was searching for something else and found this post from a couple weeks ago, so...

caucuses and winner-take-all-states, also look at the county map on wikipedia

the McGovern/Frasier reforms weren't entirely yet in place setting up a primary or caucus for every state, a large chunk of the DNC delegates were unbound entering the convention and/or decided not through primaries

the convention entry actually has more info regarding one situation that's amusing because it was the McGovernites trying to fight their own enacted rules:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Democratic_National_Convention#Delegate_selection

Hunter S. Thompson's rather extensive discussion about the events at the DNC convention is available in the Rolling Stone archives: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-in-miami-old-bulls-meet-the-butcher-19720817
note: he was an open McGovern partisan from the getgo and this article (along with his others) are what make up the content of Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail

The reason the primary popular vote "goes" to the winner in every subsequent primary season is almost assuredly a factor of the candidates dropping out well in advance. The exceptions being 1976, 2008 and 2016 when candidates stayed in long enough that people in later and larger states, like California/Texas/New York, weren't voting 85% for the already decided nominee running up their total. Even Trump benefited from this if you look at the state results.

Clinton won the primary popular vote in 2008 because of the way caucus vote totals are counted in the Democratic Party, Obama dominated the caucuses but he wasn't getting any credit in the popular vote total for it. There's also the fact that Hillary stayed on the Florida and Michigan ballots. IIRC, this is the only race in the which the superdelegates actually could have decided the nominee from a hypothetical 100% picks one candidate situation.

1984's Democratic race is an interesting situation because it's the last time in which there were enough unbound delegates entering the convention that theoretically Mondale could have been denied the nomination on the first ballot by regular delegates. They had to twist arms and stuff to prevent it because they were afraid that once released the delegates would swing to nominate Gary Hart. (In theory, and this was part of his refusal to withdraw, they could have also nominated Jesse Jackson but if Ted Kennedy couldn't pull it off four years earlier I doubt Jackson could have especially with there being another option (Hart) in the race.)
I dunno how religious you are but God bless you benji

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Dying at people watching Maddow for the first time and not knowing she always opens with 10 minutes of historical context

Atenhaus

Oh man, seeing the thread in Off-Topic Discussion makes all this bullshit worth it.

With that being said, I'm getting real fucking fatigued by this shit. We seem to be hyping fairly mundane shit up to the stratosphere and proclaiming it as "the one thing that'll take Drumpf down!!!!111" when it's in fact pretty inconsequential. We're getting to a point where we're gonna be too fucking tired to care if something big about Trump does break because we've been continually hyped up by the last 47 things that turned out to be shit. Typical boy cries wolf scenario.

benjipwns

Banned
I think Hart would have done better against Reagan though I don't remember the timeline on his affairs.

It's funny in retrospect that Reagan got to use the "youth and inexperience" line against a guy who was 56 years old and had two terms in the Senate and one term as a Vice President. For comparison, Jackson was 43 (no political office) and Hart was 48 (one full term in the Senate). (For further comparison, Carter was 52 and 56, Dukakis was 53, Clinton was 46 and 50, Gore was 52, Kerry was 61 and Obama was 47 and 51 during their respective campaigns.)

And because you want to know, the Republican candidates back to Nixon (47, 55 and 61), Ford (63), Reagan (69 and 73), H.W. Bush (64 and 68), Dole (73), W. Bush (54 and 58), McCain (72), and Romney (65).

edit: Goldwater was 55

Yeah I'll eat crow. That was certainly news worthy, but there was absolutely no reason to hype that up. Even worse, all she spent a bunch of time speculating as to what it could mean.

Teggy

Guy said Trump might have leaked these. Wouldn't surprise me. One year of taxes that show he paid some taxes and nothing else. And they had a written response ready.

A leaker wouldn't leak this because its so small and insignificant. It has to be Trump's doing, to make him seem like he pays taxes and that he earns a lot. He wins on this all around.

Tho if he did do the releasing, I wouldn't doubt that he made some changes to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom