• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

She's rightfully going to get slammed on this.

You report on it, but you don't hype it up.

And tomorrow I fully expect Comey to say nothing. Best bet is to stay engaged and keep hammering on Trump and healthcare.

royalan

W...T...F Rachel?

My entire twitter feed was on fire over this. I've never seen this much anticipation for a news segment.

If she has nothing to show, the backlash against her will be MASSIVE. She HAS to know that.

Why screw yourself like this? Why screw your reputation like this?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
W...T...F Rachel?

My entire twitter feed was on fire over this. I've never seen this much anticipation for a news segment.

If she has nothing to show, the backlash against her will be MASSIVE. She HAS to know that.

I'm honestly not getting this. She had exactly what she said she had. Is it the vagueness of her tweet?

OH MY GOD

How is this account always on point?\

I'm honestly not getting this. She had exactly what she said she had. Is it the vagueness of her tweet?

The dumb countdown and O'Donnelll chiming in saying this was the night we were waiting for makes it worse. I'm not sure if Rachel was the one that pushed for that, but she wouldn't be getting nearly as much flack if she hadn't tried to build excitement. Or if she had said I have his 2005 returns in the oriinal tweet.

Boke1879

Come on man. You know what this meant to a lot of people. It's implied if she had taxes it would implicate Trump in something.

If this is essentially nothing. Why talk about it?

W...T...F Rachel?

Yeah, she definitely overplayed her hand here. This was a bad idea.

The entire narrative is speculating on tax paperwork she doesn't actually have. The story will be Trump made a shit ton of money, and paid over 30 million in taxes. To top it off, he gets the added bonus of slamming the media for a witch hunt. This is nothing but a massive win for Trump

royalan

Take 30 seconds and go look at twitter.

She may not have a smoking gun, but she was DEFINITELY misleading about what she had.

I don't award Republicans this level of benefit of the doubt, I won't do it for my own side either.

Rachel knew what she was doing hyping this up. She knew what the reaction would be to "We have Trump's taxes." She's not a fucking idiot.

benjipwns

Banned
BREAKING NEWS: Trump made $150 million in 2005 and paid $38 million in federal taxes

POLITICO
to: me
9:44 pm

The White House said on Tuesday that President Donald Trump earned more than $150 million in 2005 - and paid some $38 million in federal taxes.

The administration offered those details in a statement as journalist David Cay Johnston published two pages of tax information about the president, apparently from Trump's 2005 return. The revelations were simultaneously broadcast on MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show," which included an interview with Johnston.

"Before being elected President, Mr. Trump was one ofå the most successful businessmen in the world with a responsibility to his company, his family and his employees to pay no more tax than legally required," The White House said in a statement. "That being said, Mr. Trump paid $38 million dollars even after taking into account large scale depreciation for construction, on an income of more than $150 million dollars, as well as paying tens of millions of dollars in other taxes such as sales and excise taxes and employment taxes and this illegally published return proves just that."
lol

Kusagari

She showed us a document that showed Trump paid far more in taxes than most, including his supporters, probably expected and that he made 150m in income.

She literally did nothing but help him.

Diablos

So is Maddow trying to make MSNBC even more irrelevant than it already is outside of Morning Blo--er, Joe?

Because she has definitely succeeded.

MSNBC is a shell of its former self to say the least. Joe and Mika in the AM, and then much much later Chris Matthews just screaming into the camera like a blithering idiot. Everything else is fluff

royalan

OH GOD

Why is she still talking about this!?

You have nothing! and you know you have nothing.

CHANGE THE FUCKING SUBJECT.

I had to turn off my tv. This is worse than Lauer fucking up the townhall. She's getting slayed on social media ALREADY.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I just think you guys are mad at Maddow when you should really be mad at yourselves (and Lawrence O'Donnell).

pigeon

Banned
Unless they leaked it themselves and were posturing in brazen fashion to put up a front that they weren't the ones that leaked it.

That would require them to be competent, insidious, and good at concealing information they want to keep secret.

People really want to believe that we didn't lose to a pile of incompetent racists, but we did.

tbm24

I just think you guys are mad at Maddow when you should really be mad at yourselves (and Lawrence O'Donnell).
It honestly would not have been so bad if she didn't spend the first 20 minutes with the narrative build up. I understand that's how she handles her show, but it was a lot of dots to connect to tax returns, to them show the only one you have that doesn't actually show anything.

Blader

Not watching the show but is Maddow reading out the forms for the first time or something? Unless this is her very first time going through them, I'm not sure why anyone would say she was played by a leak. She knew what she had and made a bad judgment call.

I think it's funnier that Trump and the WH freaked out for no reason, good times.

I venture to say they didn't freak out, they got to say he was a successful business man who makes a lot AND got to say he pays a lot in taxes.

No leaker would leak only 2 pages, this is basically Trump doing it.

Allard

I think it's funnier that Trump and the WH freaked out for no reason, good times.

Judging by the fact this is a consumer copy of the return, I think this was leaked on purpose on Trumps side as a distraction. Although Maddow did not help by her initial tweet, I actually blame Lawrence O'Donnell and whoever is in charge editorial wise at MSNBC in pontificating the nature of the leak with that stupid ticker. Still consider me even more tempered on any 'breaking news' from Maddow, I say this as someone that loves watching her show, her show has been more about putting context of current stories using facts. The only legitimate thing I remember that was breaking news that actually has some legitimate effect was the DHS stuff from a couple weeks ago but few people picked up on that or cared.

UberTag

That would require them to be competent, insidious, and good at concealing information they want to keep secret.

People really want to believe that we didn't lose to a pile of incompetent racists, but we did.
There's a middle ground between "competent, insidious and good at concealing information" and "pile of incompetent racists" that's probably closer to reality than either extreme. I have no won-loss stake in this equation because I'm not American. I have no horse in this race.

Diablos

Trump's outrage is a head fake and I think he's at least partially responsible for the 2005 return leaking.

It will make him look damn good tomorrow if Comey clears his orange ass.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's a middle ground between "competent, insidious and good at concealing information" and "pile of incompetent racists" that's probably closer to reality than either extreme. I have no won-loss stake in this equation because I'm not American. I have no horse in this race.

Considering how the race looked before Comey got involved, we definitely lost to a bunch of incompetent racists who got lucky.

The other explanation is that a whistleblower risked their career and freedom to leak two completely unremarkable pages from the president's tax returns.

UberTag

Trump's outrage is a head fake and I think he's at least partially responsible for the 2005 return leaking.

It will make him look damn good tomorrow if Comey clears his orange ass.
Gallup approval rating will jump up over 50. Rasmussen approval rating will jump up over 60.
They'll be partying it up in Mar-a-Lago with the spring breakers this weekend.

worst maddow ep in recent memory

Yep, it's one thing to partake in speculation when you are connecting the dots to something and say something needs more investigation. Speculating about stuff you clearly don't have the evidence for after hyping this up as a reveal was stupid. I don't know how she expected this to go to be honest.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The other explanation is that a whistleblower risked their career and freedom to leak two completely unremarkable pages from the president's tax returns.

That totally makes sense. Let's say it were you or me, would either of us leak these returns? If you have access to the returns why leak these? Why not something more recent?

worst maddow ep in recent memory

After the fact, it was clear that this didn't warrant -

The clickbait-y tweet
A countdown clock
Or a full hour

Once you're bringing in the staff presidential historian for a phone interview, you're desperately trying to fill.

O'Donnell's on there saying this wouldn't be breaking news if not for the fact Trump hasn't released his, which is somewhat true. The problem is that what you have doesn't really tell you much of anything out of context, except perhaps Trump would benefit by getting rid of the AMT - but, shit, what conservative hasn't run on fewer taxes?

royalan

I'm now 100% convinced that Comey's reveal will be nothing, and this was all calculated.

I'm going to bed. What good is journalistic integrity if people are just waiting for the most convenient moment to cash it in?

If Maddow was falsely led to believe she had something, she should have canceled the story when she realized she had nothing. Her nervous expression on Lawrence O'Donnell right now...she knows she fucked up. Lawrence knows it too, but they're all going down with the ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom