• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atenhaus

Trump has lost Tom Cotton.

Tom Cotton is the Trumpiest congressman alive.

Cotton's a piece of shit, but he isn't dumb. I'm sure he realizes that his constituents benefit greatly from the programs in place. If he's seen voting for something that has real consequences in the quality of life for the people he represents, then that may hurt his re-election chances.

Or not. I could be talking out of my ass.

The response from the right on Maddow's Malady is a little too coordinated, if you know what I mean.

Christ, now I'm getting into conspiracy theories.

pigeon

Banned
It's just terrible because the "MSM" (MSNBC included) is fighting an uphill battle. If you think this isn't a huge sore spot for her career I think you misunderstand the pettiness and steadfastness of the right.

This is true, I had never heard anybody on the right criticize Rachel Maddow before but now they're going to complain about her all the time, what a disaster

TylerD

Why get so worked up over anything on cable news? I'm glad that PBS Newshour has picked up ratings and hope it continues to do well. IMO the best news on tv you can watch is available over the air and free to everyone.

PBS, NPR, WaPo, NYT and poliGAF are the best.

UberTag

Absolutely foolish. MSNBC's credibility is shot and they deserve it. Cable news has played a huge role in making Trump what he is today and we'd be better off without it at this point. They're completely awful, not really for being fake news, just for being a shitty ratings/money driven representation of actual news journalism.
It's a shame that investigative journalism hasn't made the transition from print to a medium driven solely by ad revenue. I wonder what the hitch could be. Hmmm...

PBY

Banned
This is true, I had never heard anybody on the right criticize Rachel Maddow before but now they're going to complain about her all the time, what a disaster
I just think we'll be hearing about this dumb night for the next 4 years in certain circles.

I don't think this helps Trump necessarily. I just think it was tremendously stupid on her part and torches her codicil if with the centrists that still remain.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Point out the lie?

It's just terrible because the "MSM" (MSNBC included) is fighting an uphill battle. If you think this isn't a huge sore spot for her career I think you misunderstand the pettiness and steadfastness of the right.

oh dear whatever will we do without the right supporting rachel maddow's journalistic credentials

Wilsongt

Oh.

An appeals court has dealt a setback for efforts to expand the scope of federal civil rights law, saying it doesn’t cover discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit ruled Friday in the case of Jameka Evans, who said she suffered harassment and discrimination at her job as a security guard at Georgia Regional Hospital in Savannah, and was eventually forced out, because she’s a lesbian and gender-nonconforming, the Associated Press reports. A federal district court had dismissed her suit, and a three-judge panel of the Eleventh Circuit upheld the dismissal. Lambda Legal, which is representing Evans, plans to ask for a rehearing by the full court.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/20...federal-law-doesnt-ban-antigay-discrimination

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Why get so worked up over anything on cable news? I'm glad that PBS Newshour has picked up ratings and hope it continues to do well. IMO the best news on tv you can watch is available over the air and free to everyone.

look i don't disagree that WaPo and NYT are great, but do recall they were ground zero for the endless email headlines and fell 100% for the comey bait. poligaf is fine but rarely relevatory. PBS is fine if you like hearing rich folks talk to rich folks.

PBS Newshour is the only news I'm watching these days. They're doing good.

Allard

You honestly don't think Maddows credibility was dealt a huge blow tonight?

Fuck. I'm disappointed.

Her credibility on scoops was dealt a blow. Her actual reporting on known news has not been dealt a blow. The whole of MSNBC is on this though, I can't believe its still on the 11:00 show too.

teiresias

PBS Newshour is the only news I'm watching these days. They're doing good.

Yeah, at least NPR is covering this from a legitimate policy angle concerning his position on the AMT and how much of it made up that tax bill.

And policy is where the battles need to be fought for those of us not in the IC. The utter disaster of the Trumpcare rollout is testament enough to that.

Her credibility on scoops was dealt a blow. Her actual reporting on known news has not been dealt a blow. The whole of MSNBC is on this though, I can't believe its still on the 11:00 show too.

Bwahaha. I turned it off halfway through O'Donnells show when Rachel was looking pretty uncomfortable. Just take the L and talk about fucking healthcare!

The healthcare bill that will end up with people bankrupt and/or dead. I will stick to the rule that actually groundbreaking news does not ever get a build up.

Allard

Bwahaha. I turned it off halfway through O'Donnells show when Rachel was looking pretty uncomfortable. Just take the L and talk about fucking healthcare!

The healthcare bill that will end up with people bankrupt and/or dead. I will stick to the rule that actually groundbreaking news does not ever get a build up.

Lawrence did stop around 35 minutes in and went to a different topic, Brian Williams started with the news but went to a different item after about 10 minutes. They even had someone on via phone that basically said "This really isn't much more then a distraction from the big stuff happening tomorrow and likely won't be in the news after it."

NeoXChaos

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/841835642753556480

C67MsQCWcAAs7HL.jpg

C67Mv0dWkAAvLiN.jpg

C67NDWbXEAAOtuw.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

Fuck. I'm disappointed.

nah man. this is 'tingle up my leg' level of credibility loss. those prone to repeat it weren't/aren't super open to the message to begin with.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Fuck. I'm disappointed.

MSNBC as a network lost it's credibility long ago, at least for me. Maddow though is really losing traction with some on the left/center tonight, and only them, for reasons that they should really check with themselves for a good justification.

I think people are just very frustrated in general, which is legitimate. Rachel is just doing her job the way any opinion writer (which is what she is, primarily) would.

She was a leading voice in dissent against Trump and she was loud enough to stand out. However, this really does injure this movement, much to the glee of Repubs everywhere. She won't be trusted for a smoking gun for a good long while, which leads to who can reveal it? Colbert?

She was a leading voice in dissent against Trump and she was loud enough to stand out. However, this really does injure this movement, much to the glee of Repubs everywhere. She won't be trusted for a smoking gun for a good long while, which leads to who can reveal it? Colbert?

The Washington Post or the New York Times, like it has always been

pigeon

Banned

It's baffling to me that anybody was trusting Maddow to produce a smoking gun. You know she's not a news program, right?

Yeah Maddow generally doesn't get scoops. For reference her biggest election scoops were PPP poll numbers, so I don't think we have to worry about whether people trust her. Now if WaPo or the NYT had tried this (they wouldn't because they don't need to hype a newspaper article), there would be a lot more of an issue.

TylerD

look i don't disagree that WaPo and NYT are great, but do recall they were ground zero for the endless email headlines and fell 100% for the comey bait. poligaf is fine but rarely relevatory. PBS is fine if you like hearing rich folks talk to rich folks.

I do recall. What does the bolded actually mean though? Where are the non-rich folks on any network or cable television news?

It's baffling to me that anybody was trusting Maddow to produce a smoking gun. You know she's not a news program, right?

Popularity is a huge damn deal. Dems need someone as loud and convincing as Hannity is to the right and she was really doing well in that regard.

Big and loud voices work and they can't only come from a newspaper headline.

Allard

I don't see how this damages her credibility, she clearly said she had Trumps Tax Returns, she had an actual tax return from a period of time that wasn't in the news and is in fact the most recent one, her other reporting before this still stands up, her broadcast leading it the topic even talked about the need for more information and that while this was a small leak, the more juicy stuff was still hidden further in the detailed stuff. It was other people afterwards with the whole news ticker and Lawrence that made it a mountain before she even got a chance to report it. All this does is deflate any 'hype' she might have for a story coming out BEFORE the story actually breaks, which no one who actually does leak stuff like this does, they don't announce anything. I hope this is a lesson for the entire staff at NBC, if you have something to report, report it, don't try to hype it. Let it stand on its own credibility or risk the aftermath of disappointment.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Popularity is a huge damn deal. Dems need someone as loud and convincing as Hannity is to the right and she was really doing well in that regard.

Worth noting that similar events in right-wing media get gobbled up gleefully by the base.

TylerD

I don't see a need for someone like Hannity on the left and really don't see him appealing to anyone that isn't already firmly entrenched on the right. Well maybe independents and undecideds who will take a yelling idiot at his word and not do a modicum of fact checking.

Slizeezyc

Pssssst saying Bush did 9/11 is already the equivalent of saying Trump did this leak to plan this all out -- that's how incompetent Trump already is.

Come on y'all.

Just stick with saying she goofed before saying Trump did something masterful here.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

what the hell is this

Allard

Pssssst saying Bush did 9/11 is already the equivalent of saying Trump did this leak to plan this all out -- that's how incompetent Trump already is.

Come on y'all.

Just stick with saying she goofed before saying Trump did something masterful here.

The guy who gave it to her even said its possible it came from Trump, he has a history of this shit so its not even uncalled for.

benjipwns

Banned

I don't see a need for someone like Hannity on the left and really don't see him appealing to anyone that isn't already firmly entrenched on the right. Well maybe independents and undecideds who will take a yelling idiot at his word and not do a modicum of fact checking.
what the hell is this
azsyl79.jpg

pigeon

Banned

Come on y'all.

Yes this.

Trump isn't actually capable of doing something like this and not having it leak, cmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom