• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Trump's determination on Healthcare is somewhat scary. The fact he's willing to fuck everyone's favorability chicken into the ground...and they are willing to go ALONG WITH IT...is frightening...

royalan

Trump's determination on Healthcare is somewhat scary. The fact he's willing to fuck everyone's favorability chicken into the ground...and they are willing to go ALONG WITH IT...is frightening...

It's also completely expected.

John McCain's dramatic change of heart shouldn't distract from the fact that the overwhelming majority of Senate and House Republicans are ready and willing to go along with his shit. Because his shit is THEIR shit.

greatgeek

Banned
It's pretty suggestive of the likelihood of him sabotaging the ACA.

Kevinroc

They have to be seeing the reception Collins and Murkowski are getting from constituents. That they aren't aiming for that says all that needs to be said about where Republicans are as a party.

watershed

Banned

The main thing is that Trump really needs a win. His administration is a dumpster fire and he knows it. But congressional republicans are also in desperate need of a win. They need to accomplish something to talk about in 2018. They are scared and desperate. They're all desperate for the same thing.

royalan

The main thing is that Trump really needs a win. His administration is a dumpster fire and he knows it. But congressional republicans are also in desperate need of a win. They need to accomplish something to talk about in 2018. They are scared and desperate. They're all desperate for the same thing.

This doesn't explain their hard-on for healthcare, tho...

If this was just about having something to present as a win they'd have moved on from healthcare and to something less damaging ages ago, because the LAST they should want to talk about in 2018 is how they stole healthcare from their own voters.

Congressional Republicans have been just as focused on this as Trump. The handful that aren't are the exception.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Oh.

DF83ytYVYAA8mkS.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/anthony-scaramucci-reince-priebus_us_597b6e06e4b02a8434b63e5a

This is a curious juxtaposition with Donald's tweets earlier today

watershed

Banned

If this was just about having something to present as a win they'd have moved on from healthcare and to something less damaging ages ago, because the LAST they should want to talk about in 2018 is how they stole healthcare from their own voters.

Congressional Republicans have been just as focused on this as Trump. The handful that aren't are the exception.

On healthcare, congressional republicans are in deeper than Trump. They've been campaigning and promising the death of Obamacare for 7 years, Trump's only been whistling that tune since the primary. If they fail to "end Obamacare" after all this time, voters will punish them and the GOP knows it.

On healthcare, congressional republicans are in deeper than Trump. They've been campaigning and promising the death of Obamacare for 7 years, Trump's only been whistling that tune since the primary. If they fail to "end Obamacare" after all this time, voters will punish them and the GOP knows it.

And now they have to deal with the threat of Trump "going independent" and jeopardizing their reelection chances. Trump-backed challengers could split the vote and allow Democrats to win even safe-red districts.

Kevinroc

They fail and their base will punish them. They do it and everyone else will punish them.

Zolo

Yeah. Republicans put themselves in a shit place. If they repeal it, their constituents will feel it and punish them. If they don't, their constituents have voted them for it and will punish them. They could actually try to make it better, but then their donors will punish them.

And now they have to deal with the threat of Trump "going independent" and jeopardizing their reelection chances. Trump-backed challengers could split the vote and allow Democrats to win even safe-red districts.
I feel Trump's ego will do that anyway. He wants to leave some kind of legacy even if it punishes the Republican party.

The hard-on for healthcare is simple, he needs a win, and he wants to destroy Obama's major piece of legislation. He has a MAJOR hate boner for Obama, I 1000% believe the hotel piss portion of the dossier

Assuming that Trump's base constitutes 20% of the Republican voter base, how many districts are there where the Republican could afford to lose 20% of votes to a Trump-supported independent? Not many. In that scenario, all of the Hillary Republicans lose, which alone allows us to reclaim the House.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b0da64e8797fa9?w6w&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Have we talked about how Joe Biden and Joe Lieberman apparently lobbied McCain to vote against the Republican healthcare bill?
I mean good on Lieberman, but if he wanted ACA to be better he should have supported a public option.

OH WELL.

Insert conspiracy theory about how Lieberman, already a hated figure on the left took the fall for the public option to give cover to Lincoln, Nelson etc to oppose it.

I mean good on Lieberman, but if he wanted ACA to be better he should have supported a public option.

OH WELL.

Insert conspiracy theory about how Lieberman, already a hated figure on the left took the fall for the public option to give cover to Lincoln, Nelson etc to oppose it.

Well, if so, that plan worked like a charm. Who says Democrats are bad strategists?

royalan

They fail and their base will punish them. They do it and everyone else will punish them.

Everyone else AND their base will punish them.

Repeal is on the first part of the chant that Republican voters bought into. Let's not forget that they were willing to believe Obamacare was trash because a) a black man did it; but also b) Republicans were ALSO promising to replace it with something better. Something every single Republican in Congress knows was ALWAYS flat out lie.

Republicans should have been wanting to jump off of healthcare at the first opportunity. And they were given two chances: the first time it failed in the House, and the first time it failed in the Senate.

But they continued after it because they're just as hateful and anxious to undo the legacy of the first black President as the crazy man they helped succeed him.

Outside of their ideological attitudes towards government healthcare and wanting to destroy the first black president's crowning achievement.

They needed health care done so they can do tax reform. Their entire legislative agenda was tied up in getting healthcare done with and using those cuts to get tax reform done even though doing one or the other is hard enough as is and trying to tie them together is dumb and makes it a thousand times harder (which even people in this thread saw coming).

Again, if they had any sense, they'd repeal the medical devices tax and offer some Bush-style temporary tax cuts. Trump gets his stupid wins, they avoid fucking themselves and the country too badly, and we move the fuck on.

But Republicans lack sense.

teiresias

Given polling, the only ones that will be punished by voters are those that are in gerrymandered tea party districts and have to placate that craziness. The others are accountable to more diverse electorates. Unfortunately, the GOP went hard hitching their wagon to the TP from 2009 on.

How the fuck does Kid Rock get 42% in a poll.

Like.

Who looks at that and goes "yeah"? Our education system has failed us.

and there were people in the OT thread going on about how he stands "zero chance" and "wont make it past the primaries" etc. it's like taking a time machine back to 2015.

Again, if they had any sense, they'd repeal the medical devices tax and offer some Bush-style temporary tax cuts. Trump gets his stupid wins, they avoid fucking themselves and the country too badly, and we move the fuck on.

But Republicans lack sense.
The reason they didn't was I believe their logic was that wanted to make them more permanent unlike the Busg Tax Cuts and they were worried about deficit hawks in the FC or something along those lines screwing up the plan

But yes they should have just done that because it would have been 1000x easier instead its august and they have accomplished basically nothing with full control

Maybe stay out of people's personal lives. Unless they've left a long trail of destruction in their path or they've done extraordinairily heinous things, it's not worth bringing up. We don't know the details and speculation is for classless people. For instance Scaramucci's mother hasn't met the child either, so maybe his wife is extremely combative and makes it impossible. Or maybe the child belongs to someone else. Maybe Scaramucci's whole family is full of rotten, pitiful people. It could be any number of things but no one here has enough information to know what happened and even if we do there's a boundary decent people shouldn't cross except in the exceptions I delineated earlier (like that story I shared of Trump rescinding his niece's cerebral palsy medical bill payments because of a petty fight with his brother's family). People's lives are extraordinarily messy and complicated and nobody is perfect but they at least deserve a modicum of privacy.

Again, if they had any sense, they'd repeal the medical devices tax and offer some Bush-style temporary tax cuts.
If some lousy medical device tax cuts is all they can clutch in their clammy hands from the embarrassing ordeal, then that's a defeat, not a win. It's not even worth enough revenue to be meaningful. Also if it's not revenue neutral then they have to get 60 votes.

If some lousy medical device tax cuts is all they can clutch in their clammy hands from the embarrassing ordeal, then that's a defeat, not a win. It's not even worth enough revenue to be meaningful. Also if it's not revenue neutral then they have to get 60 votes.

Both parties agree on the medical device tax. They could probably get to 60.

And Trump's propaganda machine could find some way to spin it as a win.

Kusagari

But does Trump really want someone more extreme? Someone who can actually steal focus from #1?

I think he has a longer leash when it comes to this stuff because I do believe Trump actually likes Mooch. Mooch is his kind of person; not Priebus, Bannon and the rest of these guys. Trump must love having another New York douchebag to talk with.

But Mooch is simply too good at getting press. He's going to be canned sooner or later.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
But does Trump really want someone more extreme? Someone who can actually steal focus from #1?
Mooch won't steal focus so much as grab it and take advantage. He's a grade A ass kisser. Every time he's in the spotlight he is either kissing trumps ass or taking the heat to someone else. That's what trump wanted out of spicer tbh (and got for the first few days with the crowd size stuff) but spicer couldnt be the hype man he wanted. "The president has believed this for some time" or some other tepid defense.

Mooch will be there saying what ever trump thinks is true, and anybody against him is a traitor and by god the man sinks 30 foot puts. Mooch can't be stealing spotlight if every time he's there he is praising trump incessantly. That's giving trump MORE spotlight in his mind.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mooch will be there saying what ever trump thinks is true, and anybody against him is a traitor and by god the man sinks 30 foot puts. Mooch can't be stealing spotlight if every time he's there he is praising trump incessantly. That's giving trump MORE spotlight in his mind.

Ugh, don't remind me. I thought I was living in North Korea for a minute when I first heard that.

AntoneM

Maybe stay out of people's personal lives. Unless they've left a long trail of destruction in their path or they've done extraordinairily heinous things, it's not worth bringing up. We don't know the details and speculation is for classless people. For instance Scaramucci's mother hasn't met the child either, so maybe his wife is extremely combative and makes it impossible. Or maybe the child belongs to someone else. Maybe Scaramucci's whole family is full of rotten, pitiful people. It could be any number of things but no one here has enough information to know what happened and even if we do there's a boundary decent people shouldn't cross except in the exceptions I delineated earlier (like that story I shared of Trump rescinding his niece's cerebral palsy medical bill payments because of a petty fight with his brother's family). People's lives are extraordinarily messy and complicated and nobody is perfect but they at least deserve a modicum of privacy.

Meh, he's a public figure. He knew this when signing on (well, probably not since Trump's friends don't know how public service works).

I'm not a public figure and if you know my name and state you can find out how many marriages I've had (one), what my salary is because I'm a federal employee, and where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom