• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big part of the difference is mostly that Trump was, in fact, so repulsive to the "establishment" (that being people who think Nazis are bad) that he legitimately couldn't get anybody competent to go to work for him.

Like, one notable thing that happened is that Trump basically stopped nominating people for posts a few months ago. Literally he can't find anybody that the GOP will agree to nominate that will take the job.

True, but he/his people are filling judgeships all over the country, which is scary, being lifetime appointments IIRC.

Loxley

At best Trump would end up under house arrest until he's dead. Unless the man straight-up commits 1st degree murder, he ain't gonna end up in jail.

pigeon

Banned
I question this assessment. I think Trump is vulgar to most people because of his conduct, not his underlying philosophy. For instance I think Pat Buchanan could have been a normal president. Rand Paul talks about rethinking our international engagements on a daily basis but in the (even bleaker) parallel universe where he won this election, I don't see him having issues with basic white house function and staffing. Most people just accept the results of the election, mark it down as notable, and get to work like responsible adults with baseline emotional maturity. So, again, it's amazing this administration has had so much histrionics associated with it because... normal people are actually averse to stuff like this and prefer to just have a quiet, non-hostile workplace.

"Let's just talk openly about being white supremacists" is a difference in philosophy as well as conduct.

Also conduct is a very broad word. There are a lot of GOP-friendly diplomats and military consultants who got frozen out by Trump because they said, correctly, that he was not competent to run the country, and that competence was important. That wasn't a question of philosophy! But calling it conduct kind of undersells it.

Ogodei

My bet is that Schneiderman's going to come through with all sorts of stuff against Trump insiders (like Kushner) once Mueller's had his shot.

At best Trump would end up under house arrest until he's dead. Unless the man straight-up commits 1st degree murder, he ain't gonna end up in jail.

What would be the most serious white collar crime that Trump can be charged of that can land him in jail? Knowing Trump he probably did everything.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Am I totally nuts, or did the leaks about Mueller's investigation largely stop once we learned he had moved that one guy to HR?

Do we know what segments of Trump's coalition are the ones affecting his approval ratings?
I assume it's either Obama/Trump crossover white guys or moderate professionals in blue states but that's nothing beyond a hunch.

This is pretty important information, because it allows us to predict how future Trump policies can affect his popularity. We can even guess which parts of his agenda he sticks with.

Well, those NBC/Marist numbers in WI/MI/PA suggest he's probably losing a number of Obama/Trump voters, and a July NBC/WSJ poll showed him underwater in counties he flipped (though beating his overall approvals).

Like, one notable thing that happened is that Trump basically stopped nominating people for posts a few months ago. Literally he can't find anybody that the GOP will agree to nominate that will take the job.
Which is pretty great - I'd rather have a skeletal government that can't do much damage than one stacked with Trump cronies. I seem to recall him making a big deal about filling ten posts a month or something, which could have severely damaging consequences on the future of the nation given lifetime judiciary terms.

Well, those NBC/Marist numbers in WI/MI/PA suggest he's probably losing a number of Obama/Trump voters, and a July NBC/WSJ poll showed him underwater in counties he flipped (though beating his overall approvals).
Well sure - he won them, after all. The important thing is that he's losing their support and that Trump support doesn't translate to generic GOP support.

If 2018 is a Dem wave, it'll be because we crawled our way back to what Obama did in 08/12 while holding onto whatever gains Clinton made in 16. Winning the Rust Belt and the Sun Belt, Ohio and Georgia.

Trump ending up in jail depends not only on what Mueller finds, but also the ability for a state AG to go after Trump for state crimes rather than federal.

Trump ending up in jail depends not only on what Mueller finds, but also the ability for a state AG to go after Trump for state crimes rather than federal.

My thoughts exactly. I think Trump could end up in prison, but it won't be for treason or anything pertaining to his involvement with the Russia scandal. It'll be something state-level that puts him in the slammer, if anything.

I still think there's a good chance he keels over from a heart attack before the investigation finishes.

Can he be charged with state crimes depending on what Mueller finds within his finances?

I thought Mueller was working closely with the NY AG, but I could be wrong. As an example though, Mueller finds Trump laundered a whole bunch of Russian money illegally through his hotels in NY. The state AG could bring up state charges in this instance. In fact, one of the reasons people were thinking he'd be stupid to fire Mueller is, that a state AG would just pick him back up and give him the same subpoena power.

My thoughts exactly. I think Trump could end up in prison, but it won't be for treason or anything pertaining to his involvement with the Russia scandal. It'll be something state-level that puts him in the slammer, if anything.

I still think there's a good chance he keels over from a heart attack before the investigation finishes.

It will be Russian related, but it will be one of those things that are hard to pin down to collusion legally. I think it will be laundering that does him in, if it's at a state level.

Ernest

Banned
For Trump, worse than jail (because he would just scream that he's innocent), would be losing all his money, having it taken away, and ending up penniless. That would be delicious!

Vimes

For Trump, worse than jail (because he would just scream that he's innocent), would be losing all his money, having it taken away, and ending up penniless. That would be delicious!

Dude cries that the White House isn't nice enough for him compared to his shitty gilded tower. Even the most plush jail for white collar criminals would break him.

This country does not put its presidents in jail. If you're champing at the bit for incarceration of public officials, you should be embarrassed. This is not China.

gmbXhrv.jpg

I...what

A big part of the difference is mostly that Trump was, in fact, so repulsive to the "establishment" (that being people who think Nazis are bad) that he legitimately couldn't get anybody competent to go to work for him.

Yup. That's why he's down to unqualified LGBT-bashers babbling on about "race traitors".

No GOP of any specilzation would want to deal with the drama, the unqualified fellow political appointees, go against their principals, and/or perhaps being asked to do criminal acts or get cuffed by the FBI.

They had stopped a few weeks before, IIRC.

He seems to have very, very few leaks period. Just a few simple statements reguarding who needs to give up what and when, often after threats of him not demanding the same. heh

This country does not put its presidents in jail. If you're champing at the bit for incarceration of public officials, you should be embarrassed. This is not China.

There's quite a few layers to this post that are kinda silly even though I largely agree that we don't put presidents in jail.

Honestly, what do you really believe are the chances of Trump going to prison? Like 10%?

0%. Pence will pardon him if he gets that far, for the same ostensible reason as Nixon got pardoned. And maybe for the best - I don't think either party wants to have a situation where the losing party has a chance of going to jail if they lose (even if they really should be in jail). It's one reason why Trump's justice department hasn't been going after Clinton.

etrain911

Is this a joke post? The man may be guilty of sedition or treason. The consequences of just throwing him out of office and slapping a pardon on him would be far greater for future elections and the future of the democracy in general than not allowing him to stand trial.

UberTag

Is this a joke post? The man may be guilty of sedition or treason. The consequences of just throwing him out of office and slapping a pardon on him would be far greater for future elections and the future of the democracy in general than not allowing him to stand trial.
You think the Republicans/Russians aren't going back to the drawing board and trying to cheat again?
That shit's happening whether Trump gets read the riot act or not.

Here you are lobbying for deterrence in your permanently fucked system. That's cute.
They don't consider the act Trump committed wrong. What they consider wrong is that he was so incompetent that he was caught.

Just like they don't consider his comments backing white supremacy last week to be wrong.
They're just upset that he said them out loud.

pigeon

Banned

Are you dumb? We don't put presidents in jail because they haven't committed crimes, except for Nixon, which we politely agreed to ignore, which was probably a mistake that is part of how we ended up in the current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom