• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
One former official even speculated that Kelly and Secretary of Defense James Mattis have discussed what they would do in the event Trump ordered a nuclear first strike. “Would they tackle him?” the person said. Even Trump’s most loyal backers are sowing public doubts

My god

Wait, Trump's Cabinet can also use the 25th? Not just the House and the Senate? Does that include the temporary people who are filling in for whoever Trump fired at any given time?

The 25th amendment is how the executive branch (the Cabinet) removes a President. At least temporarily.

Congress does it through impeachment.

Congress does vote on whether to reinstate the President if he claims he is fit for office, though.

Wait, Trump's Cabinet can also use the 25th? Not just the House and the Senate? Does that include the temporary people who are filling in for whoever Trump fired at any given time?

The 25th says that it takes the VP plus a majority vote of the Cabinet or any other body the House chooses.

So if the House wanted to, they could kick the decision to the Girl Scouts of America if they saw fit, but no matter what, it has to start with the VP's agreement.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donald-trump-white-house.jpg

Maxim726X

Help me out here... I was listening to the great Newt Gingrich yesterday on Hannity (yes, I listen every day) and he was saying that the tax plan could be passed under reconciliation rules. I thought they could no longer push any legislation through utilizing it? Didn't it expire 9/30?

Help me out here... I was listening to the great Newt Gingrich yesterday on Hannity (yes, I listen every day) and he was saying that the tax plan could be passed under reconciliation rules. I thought they could no longer push any legislation through utilizing it? Didn't it expire 9/30?

Why the hell would you do that to yourself? Every day??

Reconciliation can be used for different things essentially. Their deadline for healthcare was September 30th, the deadline for taxes is December or something. Good luck getting a tax bill through though when they bombed healthcare, taxes are much harder.

Reconciliation can be used for different things essentially. Their deadline for healthcare was September 30th, the deadline for taxes is December or something. Good luck getting a tax bill through though when they bombed healthcare, taxes are much harder.

They’d be temporary under reconciliation as well, as far as I’ve been told. So literally just a tax cut instead of actual reform.

Yes, definitely when Democrats get control back we should pretend everything is normal and our government system is fine, that seems like a very reasonable idea
tbf I don’t think “we should get rid of the filibuster” is a ringing endorsement for the status quo. More just saying Democrats’ approach, which still has been too feeble in some regards, has paid more dividends than McConnell’s “fuck you I’m in charge” approach thus far.

In fact part of McConnell’s problem has not just been stomping over the minority party members but senators within his own party as well so maybe he’s just particularly incompetent rather than a broad statement on bipartisan collaboration. Just saying McCain was friends with Democrats and came through on keeping ACA.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
25th amendment only requires a simple majority from the cabinet, right?

• Vice President Michael R. Pence
  • Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson
  • Secretary of the Treasury Steven T. Mnuchin
  • Secretary of Defense James Mattis
  • Attorney General Jeff Sessions
  • Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke
  • Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue
  • Secretary of Commerce Wilbur L. Ross, Jr.
  • Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta
  • Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Benjamin S. Carson, Sr.
  • Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao
  • Secretary of Energy James Richard Perry
  • Secretary of Education Elisabeth Prince DeVos
  • Secretary of Veterans Affairs David J. Shulkin
  • Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke
  • Acting Secretary of Health and Human Services Don J. Wright
  • White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly
  • U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer
  • Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats
  • Representative of the United States to the United Nations Nikki R. Haley
  • Director of the Office of Management and Budget Mick Mulvaney
  • Director of the Central Intelligence Agency Mike Pompeo
  • Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Scott Pruitt
  • Administrator of the Small Business Administration Linda E. McMahon

Are the bottom half of all these technically his cabinet?

Asking because I think it's time we start a headcount on who can be moved to invoke the 25th.

Blader

I could be, and probably am, wrong on this but I believe you can use the budget reconciliation once per fiscal year, and the previous fiscal year expired on Sept. 30th. They could technically try another ACA repeal through reconciliation again between now and next September, but then they'd lose their shot at doing tax reform through reconciliation. Which is why they wanted repeal and replace done before the 30th -- they could use the last fiscal year's reconciliation on healthcare, and this fiscal year's reconciliation on taxes. Now they have to choose between the two.

They’d be temporary under reconciliation as well, as far as I’ve been told. So literally just a tax cut instead of actual reform.
Yeah. In theory they could do permanent tax reform through reconciliation as long as it reduced the deficit, but since Republicans are mainly interested in slashing taxes for rich people and corporations that's not an option.

25th amendment only requires a simple majority from the cabinet, right?
The VP + a majority of the cabinet, but if the president contests it, 2/3 of both the house and the senate have to vote to keep him out.

to search and run GOp candidates that are Pro Trump and will do whatever.

to research and try to undermine Mueller/team/investigation

to do super sketchy shit that he couldnt get away with as a public servant

All wrong. He got fired because a.) he said something bad about Trump and b.) Kelly most likely pushed his ass out.

I'm so tired of the narrative of "He left to become stronger" bullshit.

Maxim726X

I want to know what the other side is thinking... And let me tell you- They're scared right now.

Hannity is of the belief (and Newt agrees) that this Congress won't get anything passed, and that they're going to get obliterated in the 2018 elections because of it.

I guess I was confused about the reconciliation rules. I guess they can just change them on the fly?

Ogodei

This is one of the exact scenarios it is there for.

But the removed party can be restored within 30 days by contesting the removal, unless the Senate votes to approve the removal.

The 25th is there to fill a gap like at the end of Woodrow Wilson's term where the president is unable to govern but not dead, or if you think (as some in Nixon's cabinet feared) that the president's gone suicidal and is liable to end the world and needs to be removed from the nuclear football.

So you have the same hurdles as impeachment.

Yes, the 25th is for the President being immediately and literally incapable of fulfilling his duties. I mean, I realize there is a fair argument for that right now, but if the President is sound enough to contest it—and he’s certainly that if nothing else—then it’s not really what the amendment is for.

If there really was a consensus among most of the cabinet to consider the 25th then Congress would (ok, should) just move to impeach at that point and do it in a less crisis-y manner.

I want to know what the other side is thinking... And let me tell you- They're scared right now.

Hannity is of the belief (and Newt agrees) that this Congress won't get anything passed, and that they're going to get obliterated in the 2018 elections because of it.

I guess I was confused about the reconciliation rules. I guess they can just change them on the fly?

They'll write new reconciliation language into the budget for next year, giving them the ability to do 50+Pence on whatever they include. That could be tax reform, healthcare again, both together, or both separately if they can figure out how to make it work (they get one item per budgetary category -- spending, revenues, debt limit -- unless an item spans multiple categories).

Yes, the 25th is for the President being immediately and literally incapable of fulfilling his duties. I mean, I realize there is a fair argument for that right now, but if the President is sound enough to contest it—and he’s certainly that if nothing else—then it’s not really what the amendment is for.

If there really was a consensus among most of the cabinet to consider the 25th then Congress would (ok, should) just move to impeach at that point and do it in a less crisis-y manner.

I'd like to see Trump have to pass a psych eval.

androvsky

Of all the people who could stop the 25th, does anyone believe it will be Mike Pence, who would get the presidency?

There's about a 100% chance Trump will contest, which would take 2/3 of House and Senate to override. If there's even the tiniest chance of not getting that majority, I can see Pence chickening out.

God help us all if they try the 25th and fail.

PBY

Banned
There's about a 100% chance Trump will contest, which would take 2/3 of House and Senate to override. If there's even the tiniest chance of not getting that majority, I can see Pence chickening out.

God help us all if they try the 25th and fail.

I mean... Its clearly a wholly unrealistic thought.

Honestly, think that Mueller could drop serious bombs, and nothing is going to happen then.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Now that we know NBC has regularly held back or refrained from releasing major news stories (The Trump/Billy Bush tape, the Harvey Weinstein story, etc.), it makes me wonder if Tom Arnold was actually telling the truth about those Apprentice tapes he has and NBC is just refusing to let him release them.

Now that we know NBC has regularly held back or refrained from releasing major news stories (The Trump/Billy Bush tape, the Harvey Weinstein story, etc.), it makes me wonder if Tom Arnold was actually telling the truth about those Apprentice tapes he has and NBC is just refusing to let him release them.

I don't think we need to wonder there. Especially since NBC produces the show. If they had the tapes there's no way in hell they'd let them go public.

Blader

What a pointless loophole. Do we really need a constitutional amendment and a majority vote in the Cabinet to make it clear that a comatose president maybe shouldn't be president anymore?

I don't think we need to wonder there. Especially since NBC produces the show. If they had the tapes there's no way in hell they'd let them go public.

Actually I think Mark Burnett owns the tapes. NBC probably has the original edited episodes / masters, but Freemantle & MGM probably have the rest of the material

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been any evidence of Russia involvement in the Catalonian independence vote? Thinking more along the lines of troll, AstroTurf divisive rhetoric etc. like our election. Not vote tampering obvs.

They have a lot of tapes, there are legal reasons BTS (behind the scenes) videos aren't officially released. Parts of a couple videos were supposed to be released unofficially in October but it never happened. The Billy Bush video had already come out and I assume the assumption was "why risk confrontation with NBC over another tape when the Billy Bush tape has buried Trump's campaign."

Ultimately there's a lot of recorded material outside of the NBC stuff though, including of Trump's father saying blatantly racist things. But at this point...does it matter? If Trump could brag on tape about sexually assaulting women and still win, I'm not sure any recording (from the past) is going to magically end his presidency.

Gutek

He was telling the truth. Listen to Embedded podcast, episode “The apprentice”.

pigeon

Banned
What a pointless loophole. Do we really need a constitutional amendment and a majority vote in the Cabinet to make it clear that a comatose president maybe shouldn't be president anymore?

Ask Edith Wilson what happens when you don’t actually have a formalized system for removing an incapacitated president from office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom