• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

(CNN) President Donald Trump, in defense of his claim that President Barack Obama didn't call the loved ones of fallen soldiers, floated the idea Tuesday that reporters ask his chief of staff, retired Gen. John Kelly, whether Obama called him after his son died in Afghanistan.

The comment came during an interview on Fox News Radio.

"As far as other presidents, I don't know, you could ask Gen. Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? I don't know what Obama's policy was," Trump said.

Fucking moron.

studyguy

It's fucking wild to think that a former president didn't acknowledge troop sacrifices in some way shape or form, it's absolutely bonkers.
I don't even know where they're trying to aim that narrative but it's just dumb.

https://twitter.com/perlberg/status/920322337500729344
Steven Perlberg (@perlberg)
Sarah Huckabee Sanders is an official confirming on background that Obama didn't call Kelly, per a person familiar (not at BuzzFeed News)

Like why would you make this claim at all? To what end does it make sense to imply that Obama didn't contact the family, even if you're stretching that he specifically didn't call, everyone will obviously misconstrue that he didn't contact at all and it'll blow in your face.

I mean it’ll probably doom them for 2018 and then 2020, but they’ll probably regroup for the next Dem midterm.

My only hope is this ends up not being the case. If the Democrats can get into the high 50s (or even low 60s, I can dream) in terms of Senate seats by 2020, their majority is probably safe in 2022 given which seats are up. The House elections will also be fought on new maps, hopefully nonpartisan in nature.

Like... I just want one Democratic presidential term with both houses. We can’t let what happened to Obama and even Clinton happen again. Progress can’t be something that only happens for two years every decade and a half, with the intervening time spent trying to prevent that progress from being chipped away at.

It's fucking wild to think that a former president didn't acknowledge troop sacrifices in some way shape or form, it's absolutely bonkers.
I don't even know where they're trying to aim that narrative but it's just dumb.
The current dolt in white house doesn't do it. So he's blaming every other president of the same and blaming biased mediafor only focusing him.

pigeon

Banned
Pigeon is arguing that.

No, I'm obviously not. You just don't seem to understand what I am arguing and prefer to set up fake arguments to yell about instead.

You have a moral responsibility for circumstances you take action to bring about even if other factors exist in the universe that were necessary to bring those circumstances about.

It's okay, though, I'll just wait until you feel embarrassed about your behavior again and apologize for "getting too angry on the internet" for like the fourth time since you started posting here. Do you think you might have a problem?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No, I'm obviously not. You just don't seem to understand what I am arguing and prefer to set up fake arguments to yell about instead.

You have a moral responsibility for circumstances you take action to bring about even if other factors exist in the universe that were necessary to bring those circumstances about.

I mean this is also not a great argument wrt American military action abroad. Actually given what I know of your political positions I think we've all completely lost the thread in this conversation and probably need to hit a bit reset button

studyguy

Trump holding a news conference at 1:30ET apparently.
Was it with the Greek PM? Time to embarrass ourselves on the national stage again.

pigeon

Banned
I mean this is also not a great argument wrt American military action abroad. Actually given what I know of your political positions I think we've all completely lost the thread in this conversation and probably need to hit a bit reset button

I thought I was pretty clear that I think most American military action abroad has been bad!

Also I should clarify that I meant circumstances you both seek and take action to bring about. Phrasing that accurately was hard.

Ernest

Banned
More maturity from the Cheeto in chief.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump on Tuesday issued a warning shot after Republican Sen. John McCain questioned "half-baked, spurious nationalism" in America's foreign policy.

Trump said in a radio interview with WMAL in Washington that "people have to be careful because at some point I fight back." The president added "I'm being very, very nice but at some point I fight back and it won't be pretty."
How presidential, how inspiring!
Don't just "fight back" against your own countrymen, who have bled for the country, fight against those in your own party.

mlclmtckr

Banned
It's okay, though, I'll just wait until you feel embarrassed about your behavior again and apologize for "getting too angry on the internet" for like the fourth time since you started posting here. Do you think you might have a problem?

Here I am thinking that trying to be civil and not rage at people for their honestly held but fundamentally wrong political opinions is, like, a bad thing. Got me.

Like as far as I can tell this whole thing started when you got extremely mad because you thought I wanted to dissolve NATO or something. Then we got into this argument about whether the US or Russia is the world's supervillain.

pigeon

Banned
Here I am thinking that trying to be civil and not rage at people for their honestly held but fundamentally wrong political opinions is, like, a bad thing. Got me.

It's a good thing! You should consider doing it for more than fifteen minutes at a time, rather than apologizing afterwards but explaining you only yell at people because they make you by being so wrong and also you're definitely going to try to change.

Like as far as I can tell this whole thing started when you got extremely mad because you thought I wanted to dissolve NATO or something.

Google Chesterton's fence.

More maturity from the Cheeto in chief.

How presidential, how inspiring!
Don't just "fight back" against your own countrymen, who have bled for the country, fight against those in your own party.
“Think of the patriots who bled and died for our country, kneeling for the flag is unpatriotic!”

“This POW says you’re an asshole”

“FUCK HIM”

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's a good thing! You should consider doing it for more than fifteen minutes at a time, rather than apologizing afterwards but explaining you only yell at people because they make you by being so wrong and also you're definitely going to try to change.

Pigeon I love you man but I think you are letting frustration make you condescending here (and I'm saying this as someone who snapped at mlclmtckr just the other day)

Kusagari

Former Rep. David Jolly (R-Fla.) said he thinks the United States might be better off if Democrats take the House in 2018.

"I, personally, as a Republican, in the past few weeks have wondered, 'Is the republic safer if Democrats take over the House in 2018?' " he said during an interview on MSNBC late Monday.

Jolly said he raised that issue with a leading Republican last week in Washington, D.C. "And the remarkable thing is he had been thinking exactly the same thing," Jolly said.

"This is a president that needs a greater check on his power than Republicans in Congress have offered."

Jolly, who represented Florida's 13th District from 2014 to 2017, was pressed on whether other Republicans agree that Democrats should be in control in Congress. "There is no discernible Republican ideological agenda that is worth fighting for right now," Jolly said.

"But we do know that we have a president who very well might put this nation at risk, and this Republican Congress has done nothing to check his power. Democrats could [be a check], and we might be better off as a republic if they take the House in 2018."

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/355766-ex-gop-lawmaker-republic-might-be-better-off-if-dems-take-house-in-2018

Woah

mlclmtckr

Banned

Google Chesterton's fence.

Uh pigeon last time I left the thread, for getting too heated at y2kev, I think I stayed away at least until the next morning. And I have changed, I think.

I also as far as I know have acknowledged any time someone has pointed out where I've been factually wrong about something or misread someone else's post. At least I hope I have.

I googled Chesterton's fence, I don't see how it applies to you erroneously conflating two different arguments that were happening in the thread.

Here's the Republican candidate for Illinois attorney general implying that the incumbent's family might try to have her murdered.

BLOOMINGTON — Erika Harold isn't running against Lisa Madigan anymore, but she still has the state attorney general's family in her sights.

"One Madigan down means one more Madigan to go," she said of Lisa and her father, House Speaker Mike Madigan, D-Chicago. "People said, if you run against the Madigans, be prepared. Take your car in to make sure your brakes are checked. That was advice I really got. ... That's not a great commentary on our political system."

Yes, attacking Paul is totally going to get him on your side.
Their default response to anyone who disagrees with them is to trash them and bring them down.

This is obviously most notable with Trump but I feel it speaks to a broader problem within the GOP that they all think they’re right, everyone else is wrong, and they’re the smartest person in the room and everyone else is just an idiot who’s in the way.

I’m sure there are some insufferable jackasses in the D caucus too but overall the Democrats seem much better at cultivating friendships in and out of their party, which surprise surprise, leads to more legislation.

No surprise that Klobuchar, constantly ranked the most effective senator, is also the one who goes out of her way to be friends with everyone.

By contrast, you spend your entire campaign beating up on everyone else, and once you’re in you don’t know how to play nice. Sorry not sorry McConnell.

More VA polling...

Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 4m4 minutes ago

New Monmouth poll of #vagov has Republican Ed Gillespie up over Democrat Ralph Northam by a margin of 48%-47%. They had Northam up 5 in Sept

studyguy

dqbQioU.png

I mean that's one poll so far, it doesn't necessarily seem the case overall, we'll see I guess but D's seem ok from the aggregate.

pigeon

Banned
I also as far as I know have acknowledged any time someone has pointed out where I've been factually wrong about something or misread someone else's post. At least I hope I have.

You suggested at length that I was arguing that Russia was responsible for American racism! It's comical to me that you would do that and then claim you've been acting in good faith. I preferred doubling down to this kind of po-facedness.

I googled Chesterton's fence, I don't see how it applies to you erroneously conflating two different arguments that were happening in the thread.

"Chesterton's NATO coalition" was a joke about applying Chesterton's fence to the problems with leftist foreign policy, not an effort to suggest you were arguing we should dissolve NATO. The point is that leftist foreign policy, as evidenced by posters in this thread and by DSA/Young Labor, suffers from the apparent lack of a clear perspective as to why the status quo was erected in the first place. Hint: there was still colonialism before the United Nations and it was actually worse.

Owzers

I’m seeing tons of ominous Northam is weak on ms13 ads with Gillespie shaking hands with the police. Sanctuary cities and taxes.

kirblar

Blaming American voters for being uniquely stupid is a very bad argument in a world where Brexit happened and Far Right groups are picking up steam all over Europe.

The problem isn't Americans, it's people.

Blader

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just want to point out this came out on the same day two polls with Northam up 4 and 6 released, but glad to see the usual suspects chiming in.

The poll is likely an outlier. The gap is closing over time, though, so I don’t think it is out of the ordinary to hope the dems get their act together and solidify this thing. Nothing pointing to the race being over for either candidate at this point.

The poll is likely an outlier. The gap is closing over time, though, so I don’t think it is out of the ordinary to hope the dems get their act together and solidify this thing. Nothing pointing to the race being over for either candidate at this point.

What does "getting their act together" mean?

The family is corrupt scum but I figured they stopped at bribes and influence peddling.

I mean, I am no fan of Mike Madigan but usually the ILGOP just sticks to trying to blame him for Rauner's many failures. These comments are indeed a commentary on how bad our political system is, just not in the way Harold is implying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom